MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

I have a Bluetooth controller but I have to keep pairing the bloody thing up every time I turn the MiSTer on. How do I fix it? Is it the dongle I'm using or just the way it has to be?

I kept losing connection and having to re-pair with an 8bitdo adapter. Changed to a generic Bluetooth adapter off eBay and it works perfectly now.

Apologies for the dumb question but does anyone what is the best pad for the PSX core?  I only have an 8bitdo M30 pad which doesn’t have enough buttons.  I’ve never owned a PlayStation so don’t know my DS2 from my DS4.  I just want a basic wired pad for the PSX core.

11 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

Apologies for the dumb question but does anyone what is the best pad for the PSX core?  I only have an 8bitdo M30 pad which doesn’t have enough buttons.  I’ve never owned a PlayStation so don’t know my DS2 from my DS4.  I just want a basic wired pad for the PSX core.

Either the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ / Pro 2 will suit your needs. The Pro 2 has paddle style buttons on the underside of the pad.

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

I have a Bluetooth controller but I have to keep pairing the bloody thing up every time I turn the MiSTer on. How do I fix it? Is it the dongle I'm using or just the way it has to be?

I had trouble getting a bluetooth keyboard paired up yesterday, this might be worth a shot:

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=36155#p36155

Make a note of your MAC address and follow the steps detailed in the post.

9 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Either the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ / Pro 2 will suit your needs. The Pro 2 has paddle style buttons on the underside of the pad.

Those are good controllers, but I have to  warn that my wired SN30 Pro doesn’t work properly with the PS1 core, even after thoroughly going through the settings. However, it might be that the later Pro+ and Pro 2 don’t suffer from the same issues.

3 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Those are good controllers, but I have to  warn that my wired SN30 Pro doesn’t work properly with the PS1 core, even after thoroughly going through the settings. However, it might be that the later Pro+ and Pro 2 don’t suffer from the same issues.

The Pro 2 works fine for me, although the MiSTer doesn't recognise the paddles on the grips, sadly.

27 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

An original PSX controller (pre-thumb sticks, all digital) hooked up through a generic PS2 controller to USB adaptor is a fine option. 

I do really love using that original controller though. The ones I have perform as well they did 25 years ago, as well as feel correct.

On 17/11/2022 at 06:27, ucci said:

Amiga on this works beautifully. Considering selling my original a500 setup then getting on board. 

Hate to say it.. but it's a better overall experience if you have a good mechanical keyboard. Which, given such keyboards are about 60 GBP nowadays, you should :)

13 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

DS4 is awesome. 

DS5 is even awesomer. The original DS5's on launch were quite crap but there's a version 2 now that's so much better. Basically any DS5 that's not white guarantees you a v2... and with Black Friday they're down to £40. And they're super low lag over both USB and bluetooth. just over 1ms over USB! 

8bitdo Pro 2. Amazing pad. Amazing d-pad. so good. This is what I mostly use with Mister. 

13 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

The psx classic usb controller is great for mister. Otherwise you’ll want to get a dualshock4. 

Might be cheaper getting the SNAC adapter and an old DS 1/2 from somewhere.

I’ve got several PS1/2 controllers, so this is going to be the first time I get a SNAC. I really admire that the ones misterfpga.co.uk stock have two controller inputs. I’d collect all the SNACs if they had two inputs.

Guaranteed zero input lag and 100% controller ‘feel’ authenticity with doing that. Plus Guncon support.

51 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

That’s a good idea, actually… I have an old PS1/PS2 controller to USB adapter lying about, will see if it works with the MiSTer…

I use a cheap adaptor for PSX controllers and also a SNAC, but honestly that fast USB polling does kinda make the SNAC adaptor less of a necessity (unless you need Light Gun / esoteric peripheral support a cheap adaptor won't cover).

Having to use a PSX multitap to be able to use real memory cards does make me wish the MiSTerfpga.co.uk PSX SNAC wasn't quite so stripped back though. I'd have preferred a couple of PSX MC slots on the adaptor, which would've been a more elegant solution (if a touch pricier and more complex to produce).

1 hour ago, spanky debrest said:

Having to use a PSX multitap to be able to use real memory cards does make me wish the MiSTerfpga.co.uk PSX SNAC wasn't quite so stripped back though. I'd have preferred a couple of PSX MC slots on the adaptor, which would've been a more elegant solution (if a touch pricier and more complex to produce).

Not a cheap solution, but it does apparently work.

I also use a Raphnet adapter with the Wii Classic Controller input. 

This is so I can use the SNES controllers that came with the SNES mini, and they're as good a repro of the originals as you can get! 
Also super, super low lag. Not usable with PlayStation, but I do use it for almost everthing else. 

I prefer using a SNES pad with MD stuff even as the button layout is just better. 
mapping - 

Y -> A
B -> B
A -> C

On 22/11/2022 at 10:42, Kevvy Metal said:

DS4 is awesome. 

DS5 is even awesomer. The original DS5's on launch were quite crap but there's a version 2 now that's so much better. Basically any DS5 that's not white guarantees you a v2... and with Black Friday they're down to £40. And they're super low lag over both USB and bluetooth. just over 1ms over USB! 

8bitdo Pro 2. Amazing pad. Amazing d-pad. so good. This is what I mostly use with Mister. 

What's the lag like between 8-bit-do and the DS5v2?

When you reach these levels of scrutiny it’s better to think about latency at those rates in terms of same frame probability. The lower the latency the higher the chances of the input registering on that same frame. A 60Hz game will gate inputs every 16.6ms, so the latency is never a perceived static across the board every time you press a button.

Roughly speaking a controller with a reported 15.1ms of lag will trigger a same frame input only 10% of the time, where as a controller with 1.66ms of latency will trigger a same frame input 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

8bitdo Pro 2 wired - 6.1 ms (it varies very slightly dependant on the mode selected)

Dual Sense wired - 1.809 ms

That Dual Sense reading is so low it's basically zero lag.

Wow, the DS is 6ms bluetooth. Just ordered one - will eventually grab a PS5 but until then it'll make the MiSTER sing :) The kids can use my SNES / MegaDrive 8bitdo clones.

42 minutes ago, owen2471 said:

I have just got a Mister and am enjoying revisiting some games and demos from back on the day. Does anyone know where i can download an VHD packs for the computer cores ?

Thank you

Yeah, we're not going to be giving links out, but it's not too hard to find.