Masters of the Universe: Revelation coming to Netflix

Swainy

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

Also I'll tell you how cool this show was - I watched all 5 epsiodes back to back with my 9 year old son. He then immediately went to play with his He-Man toys to recreate the show. Admittedly his version ended up with everyone dead except Skeletor.... 

That's the way it should be. Skeletor is the best.

7 minutes ago, VideoGamer said:

yes and there's a plethora of ways in which anger can be expressed. teela decided to go with a childish temper tantrum in front of the parents of the person who died.

I was embarrassed by the scene.

Not bothered by Randor being angry then? Convenient....

Essentially, all the wider internet discourse boils down to is:

"How dare my expectations be subverted!"

Which is both tragic and funny.

Except for the actual sexism, that's just tragic.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Was about to say that, Randor threatened her father with death too.

Spoiler

Man At Arms isn't her father, its never known. In the 200X its implied Fisto and Sorceress got jiggy. 

Just now, Stigweard said:

Was about to say that, Randor threatened her father with death too.

Both reactions felt a bit mechanical to move people around the board more than anything, but it's not something that hasn't been used 100 times before. 

I had more of an issue with the some the reactions in episode 2 in comparison to the stakes, which is a literal universe ending threat. When the stakes are that high, it makes the characters seem petty if they start refusing for any reason. 

I really wish they'd lower the stakes for these things. 

13 minutes ago, kensei said:

Both reactions felt a bit mechanical to move people around the board more than anything, but it's not something that hasn't been used 100 times before. 

I had more of an issue with the some the reactions in episode 2 in comparison to the stakes, which is a literal universe ending threat. When the stakes are that high, it makes the characters seem petty if they start refusing for any reason. 

I really wish they'd lower the stakes for these things. 

Wasn't part of the reason she refused it though was because she no longer trusted magic - so didn't believe that the universe was *really* at stake?

(I might be miss remembering it)

11 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Hide contents

Man At Arms isn't her father, its never known. In the 200X its implied Fisto and Sorceress got jiggy. 

Spoiler

I thought it was hinted that Man-at-Arms is actually her real father in that show? I think I prefer the mystery to be honest though...

Just now, Delargey said:

Wasn't part of the reason she refused it though was because she no longer trusted magic - so didn't believe that the universe was really at stake?

I didn't really get that, but accept maybe it's what they are going for. Or maybe she felt it was another lie as that was her initial beef. But I don't think it really played right. 

Even the initial outburst 

Spoiler

Skeletor is gone, but so is He Man, and he was not the only threat Teela knew about. She's potentially putting a lot of people at risk. 

Just didn't quite scan for me. But as a storytelling device, it's extremely efficient. 

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:
  Hide contents

I thought it was hinted that Man-at-Arms is actually her real father in that show? I think I prefer the mystery to be honest though...

Spoiler

I thought that too, but its implied its unknown with Man At Arms being her adopted father but she doesn't know that. In fact she doesn't even know who her mother is too.

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Also I think Cringer is really good in this and Orko. Two characters I think could have been really annoying.

Taking away annoying voices does help on that front. Its weird with them sounding different but worked.

15 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Also I think Cringer is really good in this and Orko. Two characters I think could have been really annoying.

I agree, I wasn't a huge fan of Orko's design more so with the eyes. But I loved Cringer, he has a heart of gold. Plus I was so sad with what they did with Orko, it was obvious when we see him again what was going to happen.

30 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

A lot of the anger is about Kevin Smith telling everyone he was and that trailer showed that being the case.

2021.06.16-04.18-boundingintocomics-60ca245629cb5.png

Clownfish another of these alt right comicsgater grifters. He literally doesn't care He-man at all but the $$$ from the outrage. Wish Kevin wouldn't give those idiots exposure.

6 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Really, I thought the story was about what happens to the people around him after he's gone.

Yeah do we really believe He-man isn't coming back?. How many series, comics have we had about MOTU focusing on He-man. I found its a nice change of pace, and while not amazing as I hope it was still enjoyable and I could recommend.

5 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Clownfish another of these alt right comicsgater grifters. He literally doesn't care He-man at all but the $$$ from the outrage. Wish Kevin wouldn't give those idiots exposure.

But the problem is he did respond to them very publically and called them out for being liars about the script and has spent well over a year doing focused product runs for He-Man/Skeletor toys, food, packaging etc. etc. Making the characters the focus and this first half drops and its not what he said. It's a right mess of marketing.

Interesting histoy on it all from Midnights Edge:

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

But the problem is he did respond to them very publically and called them out for being liars about the script and has spent well over a year doing focused product runs for He-Man/Skeletor toys, food, packaging etc. etc. Making the characters the focus and this first half drops and its not what he said. It's a right mess of marketing.

Interesting histoy on it all from Midnights Edge:

Yes, and because of what happened its given Clownfish some legitimacy with his youtube numbers growing. All I want to do is enjoy He-man without having bad actors hijacking it with their agendas and politics. 

24 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Yes, and because of what happened its given Clownfish some legitimacy with his youtube numbers growing. All I want to do is enjoy He-man without having bad actors hijacking it with their agendas and politics. 

This is such a strange thing to say, there's not been any talk of politics? Just watched a few of their videos and they never even mention them so.. what are you on about? I mean did you refuse to watch the Mandolorian because Gina Carino was a right wing Republican? So many things related to entertainment is linked to people who support different parties. Same with the Scots guy on the other page, after you trashed him I've spent a bit of time walking back through some of his vids today and he does some pretty deep and thoughtful break downs of stuff. I would call it close to film analysis and not a form of grifting? He explains quite well everytime he disagrees with something.

Edit: I just did a search linking ClownFishTV to being rightwingers and they deny it right at the start of a video:

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

This is such a strange thing to say, there's not been any talk of politics? Just watched a few of their videos and they never even mention them so.. what are you on about? I mean did you refuse to watch the Mandolorian because Gina Carino was a right wing Republican? So many things related to entertainment is linked to people who support different parties Same with the Scots guy on the other page, after you trashed him I've spent a bit of time walking back through some of his vids today and he doesn't some pretty deep and thoughtful break downs of stuff. I would call it close to film analysis and not a form of grifting?

Sorry I'm confused here, but am I wrong in many of these people calling the new He-man woke when its obviously isn't?. This is what I mean by people injecting politics when there isn't any. 

Regarding Critical Drinker, my problem with reviewers like this is that he's obviously not objective. Being objective means that despite you personal viewpoints etc., you understand that reality doesn't revolve around them. That's not the critical drinker. In this world where art is influenced by everything, culture, ideas, political viewpoints, historical events, etc., everything that doesn't fit in the fictional reality of anti-sjw land is political, not art, and agenda. Any time a woman does something it's an agenda. Any themes regarding issues conservatives don't think are issues at all are agendas. To people like them, They so fixated on finding agendas and stuff to rant about that either they don't give the movie the credit it deserves or ruin the movie experience for themselves. Look, it is possible to put too much political content into something that it is off-putting. But people need to learn what the word political means. Captain Marvel wasn't political in the least, it showed a basic truth that women have and continue to be treated differently. It' didn't go wild with that fact, and it didn't push it to the extreme. You can argue the quality of the movie. But that movie is only political if you can't handle that truth, and that is a lot of people like him.

11 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Sorry I'm confused here, but am I wrong in many of these people calling the new He-man woke when its obviously isn't?. This is what I mean by people injecting politics when there isn't any. 

Regarding Critical Drinker, my problem with reviewers like this is that he's obviously not objective. Being objective means that despite you personal viewpoints etc., you understand that reality doesn't revolve around them. That's not the critical drinker. In this world where art is influenced by everything, culture, ideas, political viewpoints, historical events, etc., everything that doesn't fit in the fictional reality of anti-sjw land is political, not art, and agenda. Any time a woman does something it's an agenda. Any themes regarding issues conservatives don't think are issues at all are agendas. To people like them, They so fixated on finding agendas and stuff to rant about that either they don't give the movie the credit it deserves or ruin the movie experience for themselves. Look, it is possible to put too much political content into something that it is off-putting. But people need to learn what the word political means. Captain Marvel wasn't political in the least, it showed a basic truth that women have and continue to be treated differently. It' didn't go wild with that fact, and it didn't push it to the extreme. You can argue the quality of the movie. But that movie is only political if you can't handle that truth, and that is a lot of people like him.

Fair enough that you don't want that kind of thing in programs you watch but you then can't run around slinging comments like that around without some sort of backing? You've had people on here agreeing with it as a valid point when its not the case but Isn't that just making situations like this worse and you are adding to it? 

I'm a massive He-Man fan, my parents have pictures of me running around the house with my top off at 5 years old with a cardboard sword shouting out I have the power but I'm also a leftie. I don't bring that up with people nor do I let it spill into every part of my life. What's it got to do with anything? You aren't being very objective yourself and just waving a political brush around branding people because of something you might have heard.

As for Captain Marvel it was just a poor movie and I didn't vote for Brexit either. Are the two linked?

I thought this new series was awful. I didn't want my expectations to be subverted I wanted a show about my hero and his arch nemesis to be more focused on them. I won't be voting Labour next election either so make of that what you will.

9 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Fair enough that you don't want that kind of thing in programs you watch but you then can't run around slinging comments like that around without some sort of backing? You've had people on here agreeing with it as a valid point when its not the case but Isn't that just making situations like this worse and you are adding to it? 

I'm a massive He-Man fan, my parents have pictures of me running around the house with my top off at 5 years old with a cardboard sword shouting out I have the power but I'm also a leftie. I don't bring that up with people nor do I let it spill into every part of my life. What's it got to do with anything? You aren't being very objective yourself and just waving a political brush around branding people because of something you might have heard.

As for Captain Marvel it was just a poor movie and I didn't vote for Brexit either. Are the two linked?

I thought this new series was awful. I didn't want my expectations to be subverted I wanted a show about my hero and his arch nemesis to be more focused on them. I won't be voting Labour next election either so make of that what you will.

You've got half the show. Adam was heroic. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Would I have wanted a bit more He-Man? Probably. 

But we got Rotons, Skelcons, Stinkor and Faker. We also got a kickass version of Scareglow and the best version of Orko we've ever seen. 

As a He-Man fan it pretty much ticked all my boxes. I still think ultimately He-Man will save the day. 

Oh and the soundtrack was good as well. 

Ignoring the politics - there's a big difference between treating a show for what it is, and treating it based on what you want. They are very different things. The second one of those is not an indication of if a show is good or not. But sure, you might feel it's rubbish taken for what it is, that's fine.