rllmuk
yakumo

Parasite 2019 - Bong Joon-ho

Far and away the best movie of the year. I'm still not sure if it's masterpiece but it's really close and I'm somewhat confident that I'll call it a masterpiece after rewatches. There is a lot of stuff in this movie and imo his most complex movie yet. I also think it's probably the most horrifying movie I've seen all year. Some of the stuff that happens in the movie just feels like an absolute gut punch and I still can't stop thinking about it. A film I feel which definitely lives up to the hype.

Trailer contains spoilers so I would try to avoid it if you can.

• Upvote 5

It's an outstanding film. Full of humour, dread and sadness. 

It is absolutely worth going into it without knowing anything.

that 'twist' halfway through of the maid coming back is a proper gut punch, then the ending fucking hell

• Upvote 1

Watched this last night, and loved it.  Up there with the best of the year for me so far.

• Upvote 1

I've seen this hyped a lot and it's very good though I kinda felt it meandered and the contrivances stretched credibility in places, which is fine for a black comedy, but when it shifts gears I felt like it undercut the drama. I also wasn’t as amazed by the twist as some people, but it is a smart and solid movie.

I thought Burning was the much better Korean film about inequality and class this year, though there's probably room for two movies on the subject... spoilers for both

Parasite is growing on me as I think back to it - it has a very tight premise and delivery, the comedy will make it the more re-watchable than Burning, but I still think I prefer the latter. The two films reach the same violent conclusion, but the poetic, mysterious slow-burn of Burning builds to an intensity which Parasite loses amid cartoon violence. There was little catharsis in the garden bloody bath at the climax.

On 20/08/2019 at 15:35, Zero9X said:

Where can people watch this; Local indie cinema?

It's not out until February in the UK, which is a ridiculous delay. 

Luckily I saw it on a flight, but I can't wait to go back and see it on the big screen. It's an absolute masterpiece. 

This is a great deconstruction of the montage scene (spoilers if you haven't seen the film yet):

• Upvote 5

I’ve just watched this. Incredible piece of filmmaking. I was fortunate to have not read anything about it beforehand and that really added to the tension. I literally had my hand over my mouth for the last 45 mins or so. Funny, shocking and beautiful in every way. 

Five peaches out of five. 

• Upvote 3

Saw this last night at a fairly full Cineworld Unlimited showing. Unbelievably tense. Audience was perfectly behaved. I loved it.

Managed to go in completely cold. All I knew in advance was that it’s South Korean and that it’s being tipped for awards success. I couldn’t even have told you beforehand if it was a thriller, a comedy or a horror.

Spoiler

It is.

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Saw this last night at a fairly full Cineworld Unlimited showing. Unbelievably tense. Audience was perfectly behaved. I loved it.

Managed to go in completely cold. All I knew in advance was that it’s South Korean and that it’s being tipped for awards success. I couldn’t even have told you beforehand if it was a thriller, a comedy or a horror.

Hide contents

It is.

The audiences tend to be better with foreign language films

Yes, just to reiterate everything here.  I watched it last night and had no intention of watching it to the end, but I dd and ended up going to bed very late.  The Korean Bluray has English subs.  What a film. As has been said earlier, go in blind.

Easily the best film I've seen in the past few years. It reminded of High-Rise, with the principle of social status in a tower block acting as a microcosm, and Us.

Here's a great video essay exploring a number of Parasite's themes.

• Upvote 2

This was amazing!

Felt longer than its running time, in a very good way. I was completely drawn in and I didn’t want to leave that world and story and those characters. Masterfully crafted stuff that played me like a damn fiddle - even a bit of bad drunk acting ended up totally charming me.

5/5

• Upvote 1

Just seen this at the cinema- not much more to add than its brilliant and go in cold if you can.

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

One of the best films I’ve ever seen.

On reflection, I think so too

This isn’t just to be contrarian, it’s a great film, but is no-one else feel like this is getting a little bit overhyped / overpraised? 

It’s a an original, entertaining thriller with some social commentary and special sauce (bits I can’t spoil). I think my reservations are that by the third act I didn’t care about the characters and had no emotional investment in it.

• Upvote 5

Got tickets for today, wife knows nothing about it. Probably awaiting one of my usual effects overload space dramas. :)

Boog is one of the best directors going. His last few haven't been amazing, but Memories of Murder, Mother and The Host are excellent. I'd definitely check them out of you like his kind of humour. 

Parasite is his masterpiece though. Reminded me a bit of Inside Number 9.

I really liked it, I felt like it shared a lot with Us thematically but was done so much better. Some of the montage sequences were absolutely masterful although I did feel like it spent a little too much time setting things up in the first act. So much time is spent on certain aspects that I was sure would pay off later in the movie but were never really revisited 

Like the daughter manipulating the mother through flattery and cod-psychology to get the art therapist job. That sequence ate up so much time that I was sure that dynamic would play into the movie more than it did but it really is just a device to get her into the house and barely ever plays into the story again. Which is fine at showing how naive the mother is but occasinally the movie really laboured getting to the point in the first act

Obviously lots to dissect thematically but I particularly liked

How the working classes end up turning on each other, resenting each other and focussing on dragging each other down (quite literally into the basement) just so they can degrade themselves feeding off scraps from the capitalist table. Which is, of course, how the system is supposed to work because if you pit the masses against one other they'll ignore the real elephant in the room.

Also found the ending really powerful. Of course, the system is so rigged the plan will never ever come to fruition and the son is abundantly aware of that.

• Upvote 2

On 08/02/2020 at 09:23, grindmouse said:

This isn’t just to be contrarian, it’s a great film, but is no-one else feel like this is getting a little bit overhyped / overpraised? 

It’s a an original, entertaining thriller with some social commentary and special sauce (bits I can’t spoil). I think my reservations are that by the third act I didn’t care about the characters and had no emotional investment in it.

Short answer:

No.

It's a fucking masterpiece. It improves with every viewing too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't think it is. For one, the characters are cartoons.

Burning is better. For a number of reasons, one of which is it conveys the pain, anger and despair of it's leads and the underclass they represent. So much of what transpires is open to interpretation, it's a deeply philosophical and haunting film, whereas Parasite is a comic thriller with Hitchcock/Fincher vibes and some on-the-nose social commentary. They're both great , but I cannot get on board with Parasite being better, let alone a masterpiece worthy of all this Oscar buzz.

Having said that, it would be amazing to see Parasite take best picture, especially from Sam Mendes' tryhard glorification of WW1, but I think Marriage Story is stronger, OUATIH is also up there. I've not seen Little Women or JoJo Rabbit yet.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I don't think it is. For one, the characters are cartoons.

I mean, I can understand if the film doesn't resonate with you, but I really don't think that this is an argument that can be leveled at parasite.

How are the characters cartoons?

One of the things I loved about it was that none of the characters are completely unsympathetic - it would have been easy to make the wealthy family cartoons of privilege, but they really aren't. In many ways they are likable. 

Saw this today  and had no idea what to expect. The film defies description but was excellent. Crazy plot and wonderfully shot.

I saw it this afternoon - @Majora, your comparison with Us resonates strongly with me, I had exactly the same reaction. 

It was a very enjoyable movie. Loved the dark comedy. Don’t see the horror that some have referred to - definitely thrilling in parts and that comes down to the humanity invested in the characters who are at once terrible people and completely relatable and likeable. 

Not a bad performance turned in by any cast member. They were all great. 

Spoiler

The biggest takeaway for me was the overwhelming sense of injustice that wealth engenders. For the rich family the hard rain meant a ruined camping weekend (compensated for by a lux party the next day) - for the poor family it meant the loss of their home and everything. When the poor father attacks and kills the rich father it’s both shocking and understandable - while his daughter lays bleeding to death, his boss berates him to start the car and take his own son to a hospital. The seething anger, jealousy and resentment boils up and explodes. 

I also loved the way the rich family are totally oblivious and naive to the whole scheme - how could they see they’re being hoodwinked when they’re so blind to the reality and the needs of those who don’t belong to the super-rich elite?

• Upvote 1

I saw this on Saturday and thought it was very good. Some of the allegorical meanings were a bit on the nose - it seems like the sort of film that's been made to have essays, like the one posted above, written about it - but apart from that it was pretty much perfect. Beautifully shot from start to finish, really, really funny in places and never anything less than entirely compelling. Waking up this morning to find that it's swept the Oscars is surprising but pleasing nonetheless.

On 08/02/2020 at 09:23, grindmouse said:

it’s a great film, but is no-one else feel like this is getting a little bit overhyped / overpraised?

No

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1