IGNORED

World of Warcraft Classic - Goes live 11pm this Monday!

spork

Recreated my original troll mage from my days in The Tide on The Venture Co., Isstai. Levelled up to 6 so far just slowly questing. Amazing how quickly the basics come back, although easy when you’ve only got three spells. Need blink so badly. And frost nova.

Tried to logon about 7:45 Queue was about 5k and took about 50/60mons to clear. Not too bad if I’m honest, the only silly thing was the game asking me if I was okay with picking a full realm as it meant a possibly long wait. Okay... but they all say Full right now so are you just asking me to go do something else?

Whilst quaint and during the work day today I’ve been skimming the Random WoW thread in the online folder from the start. Up to about page 110 now. Great memories as all the players talked about their latest kills, epix and drama. Just reading our little reports about killing Rag, Ony, Nef and so forth gave me goosebumps.

No bags so far :-/

This was so weird last night. Early evening I did some questing in Westfall and there was hundreds of players about, all fighting over mob spawns. Did a Deadmines run then quested in Redridge and Duskwood, but in both these areas I was the only player in a layer! There was absolutely nobody else in /who. I was in Duskwood for 2 hours and nobody else there, had every chest, herb and mob to myself. A really surreal experience. 

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Everyone is following the streamer levelling guides @ classicwow.live so any quest on that is a shitfest.

That doesn't sound very fun.....

I have had brief dips in and out and quite enjoying it as a first time player, so much so I'm contemplating a new laptop so I can sit downstairs playing it when keeping an eye on the little one.

What I have played of it I've just dawdled about leasurely, I am going to take a look at addons though this weekend as notably there are no quest markers. It's generally not too difficult to work out where to go for things but it does slow the game down an awful lot, which is fine at times but I'd like the option to speed things up as and when I don't have a lot of time to play.

When I played on a private server earlier this year I used a leveling guide. I lost interest in the character before level 30.

The guide is incredibly efficient but you hop from one zone to the next, abandoning quest lines in the middle so you never see any of the big quests through to the end. While a lot of the quests may be go there and kill 10 boars type of thing the quest text can contain a surprising about of lore and world building in them.

23 minutes ago, Mallet said:

When I played on a private server earlier this year I used a leveling guide. I lost interest in the character before level 30.

The guide is incredibly efficient but you hop from one zone to the next, abandoning quest lines in the middle so you never see any of the big quests through to the end. While a lot of the quests may be go there and kill 10 board type of thing the quest text can contain a surprising about of lore and world building in them.

Never do that to yourself again, an incredibly horrible way to play.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

It’s great viewing 

But probably not great playing. I really don't understand fandom sometimes, what joy is there in being one of the endless thousands of minions fora top streamer that won't ever give you a seconds notice. The 'chance' of him liking you? Sheesh.

8 hours ago, NEG said:

But probably not great playing. I really don't understand fandom sometimes, what joy is there in being one of the endless thousands of minions fora top streamer that won't ever give you a seconds notice. The 'chance' of him liking you? Sheesh.

It looked cool! The game couldn’t even render them all 

Started by rolling a lock, but rolled back to being Priest (which has always been my main).  Will spec Shadow.

I'm on a PVP server, queue is still roughly 1 - 1.5 hours but i don't mind as just log on before I'm ready to kick off.  Looking forward to the world PVP - I've  got lots of fond memories of fights in the open world during Vanilla all those years ago.

"FOR THE FORSAKEN!!"

On 29/08/2019 at 09:26, Gizamaluke said:

Everyone is following the streamer levelling guides @ classicwow.live so any quest on that is a shitfest.

Ah yes, wait years for a game to be released then burn through it in the shortest possible time. Gamers, man.

Making my alliance toons on the RP server since I can't have both sides on the rp-pvp server... and you'd think it would be less lively, nearly a week, 10pm at night...nope, 10 drawfs newly created around me, not a wolf around to kill. Amazing times indeed.

From first impressions, rolled a warlock on a pve server. Forsaken, I remember every quest and where the mobs are thank god, there are no where near enough rattle cage skeletons spawning to do the quest but it’s a lot of fun. Got to level 6 or so before my first death but warlocks are pretty tough it seems. Not a class I ever played in vanilla but really enjoying it. Got the elvui classic set running which is a big help. The game is super unhelpful at low levels which is something I forgot, I genuinely wouldn’t want to play it if I hadn’t already, it’s a ball ache in places. More to follow.

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

Apparently <APES> are in Molton Core right now, there are about 25 level 60s and the rest high 50s

I gather they already killed Rag? I mean, I'm not surprised because for all the MMO-C grognards incessant bullshit over the years about how much tougher everything was back then, every classic boss will be a piece of piss now for anyone with even a couple of brain cells to rub together. I'm more curious how the Hydraxian rep/rune dousing wasn't an issue at all, I can't recall when the aqual quintessence requirement ceased to be a thing.

Watched the Rag kill. Of course theyce done it lots on privatw but amazing what you can do with basically no gear still. Shame they didn't stream the whole thing but mightily impressive. Watched for a bit after as they went on to attune for Onyxia but by 2:30 it was a bit late for me.

I'm doing a lot of running to the wrong places and loving it in this. The old memories are back, but I can also feel the addiction. Must be careful.

To be fair Method the guild isn’t trying to be in it. They had one member of Progress who were. He stopped allowing his stream to be live yesterday evening to hide what they were up to. And the APES did the whole lot before they even entered a raid!

I think Method made a mistake with the naming and presentation of the “event”. They kept saying it was just a celebration but called it race to world first. They had a pointless in studio leaderboard which was not only never close internally but also never close with the outside. In the end the first in studio 60 was 30th or later worldwide.

Right, I just want to say prior to everything else. I tried. Before classic came out, I had no real lust to return to vanilla, but thought the idea was worth entertaining. Seeing people like Preach enjoying it in the beta sounded like I could definitely get something out of it. I mean, I love WoW, and this is more WoW, right?

I don't get it at all. I don't get why everyone has been so swept up into such a frenzy. Playing a Paladin, although only to about level 15, has been one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had in WoW. The class feels like complete trash, and at this level I've already got the damaging abilities I'd have at end game. Hit up seal, occasionally judge, and hope you picked a green mob or that it doesn't parry. There's no decision making at all. The missus comes along, hits a mob with her wand twice and that's it. No aggro for me, no way to pull it back off her. Hated it.

Also tried a mage... Stand still, press frostbolt, that's it. That's literally all there is to it.

I wanted to like it, but the more time I spend with it, the more I dislike it. Having always played with my other half, i personally have never had an issue with the whole community aspect that people often cite as their issue with modern WoW. But, I just don't see this golden garden of a harmonious community in classic. It's a load of people fighting to tag the same mobs and doing their best to hit a chest before the other. The few times I have grouped up, it's either kill the mob then they leave, or they just stand over the corpse until it respawns creating a weird Mexican stand off.

But most of all, I just can't get into my class, the thing that I interact with the content with, just playing like absolute utter garbage.

I'm happy for you all that you got what you want, and you're enjoying it. But it feels like the warcheifs new clothes to me. 

I don't get it.

::Edit:: as to raggy being killed by level 50s in greens. It's not a shock to me at all, and the general forums reaction has been bizarre.

vanilla was never hard, that was the whole point of it. We just sucked massively.

23 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

Also tried a mage... Stand still, press frostbolt, that's it. That's literally all there is to it

I also... erm drink some water, make water for others. Buff people. Press blink to get places slightly faster. Sometimes replace it with fireball for a change.

i actually agree with most of your criticism and yet... it’s just a place I enjoy being in for some reason I can never quite pin down.