World of Warcraft Classic - Goes live 11pm this Monday!

spork

On 06/09/2019 at 08:40, Pixelbark said:

(Just as a prologue, I switched to warrior, and the experience has been slightly better as I have some tools to deal with aggro. Still much prefer "retail" WoW though)

Now, this may just be my server, but...

Is it me, or are there a lot of Gammons playing this game? Like full on pineapple ring dressed gammons. I thought it was just the usual /1 trash talking, but it's spilling over into party chat and even the guild I'm in. I've seen grown men, start talking about Brexit (muh will of the people), then in the same breath talk about how women are only good for cooking.  It's not even been a one off event either, or localised to one or two people. It's bloody everywhere. 

Has anyone noticed the same thing on their servers, or have I just mistakenly logged into a village Conservative club on open mic night?

I was in Elwynn Forest and the chat was basically a psuedo intellectual cringe fest with people giving edgy hot takes and interspersing it with "you dont get this level of chat on retail!" like they didnt realise they sounded like idiots.

To be fair, with the exception of the last line, it was often like that back on release.  So it really is the classic experience!

Last night I did Deadmines, for the first time in probably 12 or 13 years.  Not only that, I did it with a group of friends I made in 2005 playing the original game.  We were always a tiny guild, struggling to get the numbers together for anything more than a 10-man raid, but we had so much fun and spent so much time together that we became life-long friends.  Although we're spread across several countries, we've been to each others' weddings, we've been on holidays together, and now we're back doing dungeon runs at 9pm on a Monday night.  I have to admit, when we were gathering outside the instance and buffing up, chatting, and taking screenshots, I felt a huge wave of emotion come over me.

I've no idea how long I'm going to play Classic for.  My life doesn't really lend itself to MMORPGs these days.  But this has been an incredible couple of weeks so far.

• 1 year later...

Beta for Burning Crusade is open. Has been for a few weeks now, and videos are slipping through of people doing the raids in provided lvl 70 gear.  Karazhan has All The Feels for me.

Blizzard have also said they're going to allow people the option to (for a fee) copy their characters to a progression server and to keep an copy on a legacy server that will never progress to new releases.

I'm in two minds here.  On one hand, I started playing classic to experience the lvl 60 game I missed on first released.  But due to being old and having a family, I'm just breaking lvl 60 now so would like the chance to do that, but the idea of having a character locked in a world that's never going to progress or go anywhere seems, i don't know, wrong.... maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age.

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

Beta for Burning Crusade is open. Has been for a few weeks now, and videos are slipping through of people doing the raids in provided lvl 70 gear.  Karazhan has All The Feels for me.

Blizzard have also said they're going to allow people the option to (for a fee) copy their characters to a progression server and to keep an copy on a legacy server that will never progress to new releases.

I'm in two minds here.  On one hand, I started playing classic to experience the lvl 60 game I missed on first released.  But due to being old and having a family, I'm just breaking lvl 60 now so would like the chance to do that, but the idea of having a character locked in a world that's never going to progress or go anywhere seems, i don't know, wrong.... maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age.

I think this is sort of the problem with Classic isn't it.

This approach of preserving a server at the pre-expansion version is nice but means the userbase is going to fragment further and further over time. But forcing everything though the expansions would mean we'd need another restart at Classic in about 5 years time because no-one likes the game after such and such an expansion. 

On 16/04/2021 at 19:42, thesnwmn said:

I think this is sort of the problem with Classic isn't it.

This approach of preserving a server at the pre-expansion version is nice but means the userbase is going to fragment further and further over time. But forcing everything though the expansions would mean we'd need another restart at Classic in about 5 years time because no-one likes the game after such and such an expansion. 

I can see that. Although I assume if that  happens with TBC and a large portion of players split between that and classic raiding they won't do it for TBC when they inevitably do Lich King classic.

• 1 month later...

I’m going to give TBC a bash (and probably quit again in a few weeks time), what’s a good server to roll on now? Having heard the world buff horror stories on pvp servers I’m thinking of Pve. 

Don't let those towering Fel Reavers sneak up on you. Don't know how it happened, but back in the day I got ganked by em several times.

Ah good times.