Obi-Wan Series - Ewan McGregor stars

Nimmel

I must of missed this thread last time round, because the bump had me start on page 2. I've just gotta say reading back from January 2020, it's fucking hilarious people on this forum accusing others of attacking Kathleen Kennedy just because she's a woman, and not because she took a massive shit on the franchise. Eggs on your face eh guys?

Sorry, that was a bit shitty. The cast looks great (Friend reminds me of Orlando Bloom so much), but I guess if they're only starting production now, we're not gonna see this for ages, and I need a star wars fix :(

6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I must of missed this thread last time round, because the bump had me start on page 2. I've just gotta say reading back from January 2020, it's fucking hilarious people on this forum accusing others of attacking Kathleen Kennedy just because she's a woman, and not because she took a massive shit on the franchise. Eggs on your face eh guys?

Sorry, that was a bit shitty. The cast looks great (Friend reminds me of Orlando Bloom so much), but I guess if they're only starting production now, we're not gonna see this for ages, and I need a star wars fix :(

They started filming the Cassian Andor thing in November at Pinewood (they built a Volume there to carry over the effects work they did on Mando), so that’ll be first I guess.

I'm looking forward to this. My only issue with Hayden coming back as Vader is that I seriously hope that him and Obi-wan never meet face to face. The scene where they "meet again at last" in Star Wars needs to remain the first time they meet after Mustafar. That and they need to get James Earl Jones back for Vader's dialogue. Although I'm guessing getting Christensen back means we'll see a fair bit of Vader somehow being able to take his helmet off and surviving.

10 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That and they need to get James Earl Jones back for Vader's dialogue.

I'm not sure about this. With the best will in the world, JEJ is getting properly old now and it comes through in the voice - it really stood out for me in Rogue One.

I suspect/hope that there won't be any contact between Ben and Vader, but Anakin will appear in Ben's dreams/nightmares/force visions etc. as he is haunted by his past. What I really hope is that we get to see their final moments together from A Certain Point Of View (i.e. Obi-Wan's) which re-contextualises the appalling stilted scenes from ROTS and gives them the emotional heft they should have had in the first place. This approach has been used to great effect in the excellent Darth Vader comics and I'd love to see them doing something similar here.

10 minutes ago, RFT said:

I'm not sure about this. With the best will in the world, JEJ is getting properly old now and it comes through in the voice - it really stood out for me in Rogue One.

I would still use him as long as he's around.

34 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'm looking forward to this. My only issue with Hayden coming back as Vader is that I seriously hope that him and Obi-wan never meet face to face. The scene where they "meet again at last" in Star Wars needs to remain the first time they meet after Mustafar. That and they need to get James Earl Jones back for Vader's dialogue. Although I'm guessing getting Christensen back means we'll see a fair bit of Vader somehow being able to take his helmet off and surviving.

Depends on the gap between the end of this series and ANH.

11 hours ago, Harsin said:

Wait Benny Safdie. as in the Uncut Gems Safdies?

That’s the chap. Now I want a Safdie directed episode where a gambling addicted Obi-Wan spends a nerve-shredding hour wheeling and dealing his way around Mos Eisley, dodging Jabba’s goons as he tries to drum up enough credits to drop on the Boonta Classic podrace and buy back the lightsaber he lost in a game of Dejarik.

27 minutes ago, Darren said:

I suspect/hope that there won't be any contact between Ben and Vader, but Anakin will appear in Ben's dreams/nightmares/force visions etc. as he is haunted by his past. What I really hope is that we get to see their final moments together from A Certain Point Of View (i.e. Obi-Wan's) which re-contextualises the appalling stilted scenes from ROTS and gives them the emotional heft they should have had in the first place. This approach has been used to great effect in the excellent Darth Vader comics and I'd love to see them doing something similar here.

Do you have any more on this? Sounds interesting.

53 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

The scene where they "meet again at last" in Star Wars needs to remain the first time they meet after Mustafar.

Why? Is it ever said that's the first time after the end of RoTS that they reunite?

It's made blatantly obvious that Obi-Wan is in hiding on Tatooine. 

I don't see him popping to the shops on Coruscant, or Vadar conveniently forgetting where he is. 

Then again, maybe he has a selective memory, like Darkseid in Snyder's Justice League and managed to forget the location of a planet he'd already visited...

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Do you have any more on this? Sounds interesting.

I should say that the memories and visions in the Darth Vader comics are Anakin's rather than Obi-Wan's, just that this series could use a similar approach from Ben's POV.

But the Vader comics are indeed interesting and very good at showing him tortured by the ghosts of his past. Of course it helps that Anakin/Vader's arc is perfect for that. A good place to start would be the most recently published collection Dark Heart of the Sith because it's the start of a new storyline that takes place after the end of The Empire Strikes Back. This is Marvel's third Vader series (they love restarting series from issue 1 for maximum confusion) and is excellent so far. The story is all about him revisiting and confronting his past, driven by rage and revenge, and the way it reframes and subverts familiar images and scenes from the films is quite brilliant, and exactly the sort of thing I'm hoping the Obi-Wan series will do too.

Then if that hooks you, try the two earlier Vader series, Dark Lord of the Sith (four volumes) which includes a recurring motif of Vader's "inner self" that is just stunningly good, and Vader (five volumes) which is also consistently excellent.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueef said:

It's made blatantly obvious that Obi-Wan is in hiding on Tatooine. 

I don't see him popping to the shops on Coruscant, or Vadar conveniently forgetting where he is. 

Then again, maybe he has a selective memory, like Darkseid in Snyder's Justice League and managed to forget the location of a planet he'd already visited...

He could have gone into hiding way after RoTS though. They could have had plenty of run-ins in the supermarket car park before that.

There’s like 20 years between the end of RoTS and the beginning of A New Hope, isn’t there?

24 minutes ago, JPL said:

He could have gone into hiding way after RoTS though. They could have had plenty of run-ins in the supermarket car park before that.

There’s like 20 years between the end of RoTS and the beginning of A New Hope, isn’t there?

They could have.

It would be super lame though and the sort of thing the old EU was rightfully mocked for.

18 minutes ago, Harsin said:

They could have.

It would be super lame though and the sort of thing the old EU was rightfully mocked for.

Why would it be super lame? They could have had a few encounters before Obi went into hiding. I don’t see any problem with it as long as it’s written well.

The end of ROTS suggests that Yoda and Obi-Wan go into hiding for the next 20 years but I don’t see a problem with bending that a bit. It’s not as if Darth Vader’s star destroyer drops out of hyperspace right above you the very second you wander too far from your hovel. It’s a big galaxy. Obi-Wan just needs to keep a low profile and an eye on Luke. 

In fact it’s actually pretty selfish how absent Obi-Wan and Yoda are in that 19 year gap. While others are resisting the Imperials and building a rebellion they’re just hiding! At least Ahsoka helps out, and when Luke does a similar thing years later he has a good reason for it. 

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

The end of ROTS suggests that Yoda and Obi-Wan go into hiding for the next 20 years but I don’t see a problem with bending that a bit. It’s not as if Darth Vader’s star destroyer drops out of hyperspace right above you the very second you wander too far from your hovel. It’s a big galaxy. Obi-Wan just needs to keep a low profile and an eye on Luke. 

In fact it’s actually pretty selfish how absent Obi-Wan and Yoda are in that 19 year gap. While others are resisting the Imperials and building a rebellion they’re just hiding! At least Ahsoka helps out, and when Luke does a similar thing years later he has a good reason for it. 

Higher public profile though?  “Keep an eye out for a short green dude that talks weirdly will you?”  Wouldn’t take long for someone to go “hang on a mo...”.