Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

On 04/04/2022 at 14:52, BitterToad said:

I've always thought this line of thinking was basically mad. I've always had a soft spot for Neeson's performance but my God is McGregor rubbish in these movies. I don't specifically blame him, the writing is so utterly atrocious that it's impossible not to be bad in these movies, but the accent is dodgy and he just sort of moans his way through the first movie then smirks his way through the other two.

Those first few lines about something being eloooosive did it for me. He just looks constipated a lot of the time.

On 05/04/2022 at 12:21, BitterToad said:

I'd imagine I've posted this in the thread several times but this is the line that always gets me 

I quite like McGregor in these to be honest. He’s better when he’s playing for laughs in ROTS - “That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn’t…doesn’t count” and his legendary “Hello there !”.

But as counterbalance this is almost as bad as it gets; the only thing that could possibly have made this more cheesy is if his hand had been shaking as he lifted it.

I've got a new idea for the series. Obi Wan forms a new religion, that of the Jedovah's Witnesses and spends eight episodes knocking on people's doors all over Tatooine and going "Hello there"

49 minutes ago, wev said:

I've got a new idea for the series. Obi Wan forms a new religion, that of the Jedovah's Witnesses and spends eight episodes knocking on people's doors all over Tatooine and going "Hello there"

While digging an ever-growing hole in the sand to shit in

On 12/03/2022 at 05:32, Doctor Shark said:

Star Wars “fans” are like any other hardcore fan base: a bunch of cunts. 

Just so I'm not missing the implied thing here, we're fans and not "fans", and thus we're not cunts, right?

30 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Just so I'm not missing the implied thing here, we're fans and not "fans", and thus we're not cunts, right?

You’re correct. The “fans” was to imply that special, toxic, gatekeepery, vile corner of this or any fandom that both simultaneously hate the thing they profess to love and yet openly attack anyone who dares say they don’t enjoy it. 

So yeah. Hopefully you aren’t one of them! 

• 3 weeks later...

Are they going to redub some lines in ANH after this ?

”I sense something…a presence I’ve not felt since…a week last Thursday…”

I mean, it looks great, but it does seem to present some retconning issues, admittedly only implied/assumed rather than specific.

6 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Are they going to redub some lines in ANH after this ?

”I sense something…a presence I’ve not felt since…a week last Thursday…”

I mean, it looks great, but it does seem to present some retconning issues, admittedly only implied/assumed rather than specific.

Looking at the age of Obi-wan and Luke I would say this is maybe 8 or 9 years after Revenge of the Sith. There were 19 years between ROTS and A New Hope.

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

By " limited series" can we expect this to be a nice little self-contained story and not the start of some epic ongoing 5-year-plus series that will inevitably turn shit after two or three seasons when everyone is bored of it? I hope so. 

I think Ewan McGregor didn't want to get tied into a multi year series. It's a one off.

1 minute ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Looking at the age of Obi-wan I would say this is maybe 8 or 9 years after Revenge of the Sith. There were 19 years between ROTS and A New Hope

That’s what I mean by implied/assumed. The way Vader and Tarkin talk about Obi-Wan is like he hasn’t seen him since the battle on Mustafar, and Tarkin even thinks he’s dead. I know they can add this in because it’s halfway between ROTS and ANH in the timeline, and it does still work, but it feels like a bit of a stretch all the same.

2 minutes ago, Jammy said:

That’s what I mean by implied/assumed. The way Vader and Tarkin talk about Obi-Wan is like he hasn’t seen him since the battle on Mustafar, and Tarkin even thinks he’s dead. I know they can add this in because it’s halfway between ROTS and ANH in the timeline, and it does still work, but it feels like a bit of a stretch all the same.

It does feel like a stretch. I would have liked if Mustafar had been the last time they met but I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

7 minutes ago, Jammy said:

At what point does Obi-Wan discover Anakin is still alive? I'm not sure if that has been explored in any canon has it? 

4 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

At what point does Obi-Wan discover Anakin is still alive? I'm not sure if that has been explored in any canon has it? 

I don't think it has. I would imagine by this point he would have heard rumours or even had it confirmed through his sources that Anakin was Vader.

5 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I don't think it has. I would imagine by this point he would have heard rumours or even had it confirmed through his sources that Anakin was Vader.

I think it's an interesting idea to explore... He does seem to have made up his mind by the ep4/5/6 that Vader is beyond redemption so they had presumably run into each other before then. 

I can’t remember enough of ROTS to say whether Yoda and Obi-Wan know his Sith name (I think they see him kneeling in front of Palpatine in the security tapes but can’t remember if they hear the Vader name). I think he’s made up his mind during the fight on Mustafar that Anakin is beyond redemption, otherwise he would have rescued him. Only Padmé insists there’s still good in him, before she pops her clogs.

It looks from that trailer like there’s a look of realisation and dread on Obi-Wan’s face at one point so maybe that’s the point he senses Anakin.

17 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

From a broken heart.

Ergh, that's one of the worst parts of that film. A simple line of dialogue, ANYTHING could have been said that wouldn't be so fecking dumb, with all their advanced tech. :doh:

Anyway, this trailer has me proper hyped, much more than that teaser. Anyone know how the budget on this compares to Mando?

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

I can’t remember enough of ROTS to say whether Yoda and Obi-Wan know his Sith name (I think they see him kneeling in front of Palpatine in the security tapes but can’t remember if they hear the Vader name). I think he’s made up his mind during the fight on Mustafar that Anakin is beyond redemption, otherwise he would have rescued him. Only Padmé insists there’s still good in him, before she pops her clogs.

It looks from that trailer like there’s a look of realisation and dread on Obi-Wan’s face at one point so maybe that’s the point he senses Anakin.

Yes, Palaptine even says the name Vader to Yoda referring to Anakin.

Eh, there's too much action there. I'll go back to my previous comments, I want a series of him doing middle aged man things: getting a speeder bike, going fishing, walking his "dog", bird watching etc. Kind of like a Star Wars travel program, why pretend to be dead/go into Witness Protection if you can't carve out a new life for yourself?

Like a Star Wars version of this

https://youtu.be/o6xTwpIyN14

• 3 weeks later...

There’s already a group of people claiming it “ruined obi wan”.  Why? Because they’ve convinced themselves that woke Disney has actually set up the black female inquisitor as the main character and that she’ll overshadow obi wan and be redeemed and somehow made to be the real hero of the story.  They have no proof, they’ve just convinced themselves that this is what Disney does to promote their woke anti men agenda, and their evidence is that in moon knight, a woman was allowed to fight and help the main character, which somehow made her the saviour of the show and made moon knight useless.  You can see them appearing more in their social media in the comments where they talk as if they’ve seen it already slating it.