Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

18 minutes ago, Tempy said:

Finding it hard to disagree with all of your comments. I enjoyed it but...

Reveal hidden contents

...disappointed that they've gone with the Obi-wan is out of practise schtick. It feels cheap and purely for plot reasons and to introduce peril. I understand that he cannot or doesn't want to use the force for fear of detection, but the fact that someone as capable as he would lose it like that doesn't feel right.

When luke catches up with him years later in A New Hope, he is clearly still a very powerful Jedi, strong with the force and still capable of taking on Vader. Maybe it's just me but I would have prefered a very powerful Obi-wan chosing not to use his powers to stay hidden rather than losing his skill.

Spoiler

Again, hard not to agree with the first comments, some of it is a bit wonky.  Although I thought that fall of the temple bit at the beginning was really bracing.

Re. de-powered Obi Wan, my take is that he's clearly suffering from some sort of PTSD.  He's numb.  Broken.

And in the prequel trilogy, I think Mace refers to the power of the Dark Side clouding their powers.  This is the Empire and the Sith at their peak.  And the Jedi at their lowest.

I expect the series will see him grow more capable to the point where we see him in ANH.

It's promising.

Was Obi Wan all that powerful in the original film? He makes a couple of noises, senses a disturbance, senses Vader, uses the mind trick once, maybe twice? Then takes part in a geriatric light saber fight during which he sacrifices himself.

Spoiler

Like this is going to sound very weird, and I’ve not fully thought it through, but I’m not sure I like how diverse they made the baddies. 

The space-nazis are evil middle aged posh white men. It’s so fucking on the nose and I’ve always loved it. Here’s all these diverse cultures and peoples being ground down under the heel of literal white men.

Hopefully a future episode will show the space nazis treat the inquisitors like shit or something. 

That felt so weird to say - but hopefully makes sense. 

I've only watched the first episode so far, but I thought it was pretty good. It's certainly a lot more cinematic than The Mandalorian, which I enjoyed but thought felt a little bit Dr Who at times. Production values here are a lot higher: it doesn't look that far away from the films. I thought the bits with Obi were better than the bits with child Leia and Flea. I liked the style of that Yoshimitsu-looking mother fucker, too. I'm expecting him to do some crazy cool katana lightsaber stuff.

Question: 

Spoiler

How does he know where to dig in the desert to find the lightsaber? Can he just sense it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching episode two. (Of this series, I mean, not Attack of the Clones. Fuck that.)

Never cared that much for McGregor in the prequels but he's the only thing that stands out in this. Only made it through the first episode but the writing is contrived and weak, the acting( especially the inquisitors) is weak and it looks and feels cheap and wooden. It seems like Star Wars is three really good films that haven't been allowed to just be that.

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've only watched the first episode so far, but I thought it was pretty good. It's certainly a lot more cinematic than The Mandalorian, which I enjoyed but thought felt a little bit Dr Who at times. Production values here are a lot higher: it doesn't look that far away from the films. I thought the bits with Obi were better than the bits with child Leia and Flea. I liked the style of that Yoshimitsu-looking mother fucker, too. I'm expecting him to do some crazy cool katana lightsaber stuff.

Question: 

Hide contents

How does he know where to dig in the desert to find the lightsaber? Can he just sense it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching episode two. (Of this series, I mean, not Attack of the Clones. Fuck that.)

Re your spoiler

Spoiler

I assume it's the binding he would have had to its kyber crystal, he'd be able to sense it.

3 minutes ago, wev said:

Re your spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I assume it's the binding he would have had to its kyber crystal, he'd be able to sense it.

Hmm. Not really sure what that means, but I'll take your word for it!

36 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:
  Hide contents

Like this is going to sound very weird, and I’ve not fully thought it through, but I’m not sure I like how diverse they made the baddies. 

The space-nazis are evil middle aged posh white men. It’s so fucking on the nose and I’ve always loved it. Here’s all these diverse cultures and peoples being ground down under the heel of literal white men.

Hopefully a future episode will show the space nazis treat the inquisitors like shit or something. 

That felt so weird to say - but hopefully makes sense. 

I think this does make sense in that

Spoiler

the Inquisitors are effectively self-selecting as they have to be force users, so the Empire can’t be so picky about who they promote as they can with their regular military.

I didn’t think Obi Wan was 

Spoiler

out of practice,

more that he was just utterly 

Spoiler

broken 

Anyway, really liked it. 

Spoiler

Leia

was a well kept secret. Dunno what the general consensus is but anyone with belligerent kids can probably appreciate how infuriating she is.

Also seeing the Grand Inquisitor

Spoiler

killed

was a great unexpected twist too.

Just watched both episodes.

This was pretty bad but in a good way.

Home alone chase was fun in its crapness. 

Baby Leia is maybe the most annoying kid since kid Anakin. Starwars man babies have a new hate figure...maybe two as the female inquisitor is bad and just lazy. 

So far I like it, yeah it’s got shonky bits but I don’t expect anything different from Disney Star Wars.

I wasn’t a huge fan of The Mandalorian it was okay, there were some good episodes but a lot of mediocre ones.  For extended universe stuff I much prefer Clone Wars & Rebels, not going to say they’re perfect or don’t have their share of mediocre episodes but some of my favourite bits of Star Wars are in those shows.

I was worried at the start they were going to do another origin story for a prop, they subverted it a bit but they still might.  It’s a disease of modern Star Wars, it makes the universe feel small.  Like in Solo when he gets his blaster from Woody Harrelson, why does the blaster have to come from this mentor figure, why can’t it just be an off the shelf blaster.  Or Han’s dice they make such a big deal of in Solo and The Last Jedi, that was an incidental set detail in episode 4 and only episode 4: https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-gold-dice/.  Or Obi Wan wore robes while living in the desert, makes sense, so all Jedi wear robes.  It feels like such a lack of imagination at times.

Obi Wan does turn up in Rebels

Spoiler

when a character goes to find him.  This also is the end of the Maul story they’d been weaving through Clone Wars & Rebels.

Yeah, I woke up thinking Muppet Baby Leia being kidnapped by Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers was a good way to start explaining what happened between episode 3 and 4. The dialogue was making my ears melt when the A level drama student playing the baddie taunted him about Vader - simply fucking dreadful stuff all round.  The prop thing Bag mentions had me groaning as well - once again it makes the galaxy see like Ramsay Street.

It was ok. Ewan was great, it felt very much like a Saturday morning kids matinee affair to me which is in keeping with the original films intention.

I'm glad all the promotion stuff was in the first two episodes, there's room for it to really surprise in the remaining episodes. I thought it had a strong opening in the Jedi temple, the rest of the action was very minor and quite flat.  

My least favourite bit was another thing that kind of messes with the original films

Spoiler

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

...oh and there was that incident when I was kidnapped at the age of 10 and you rescued me. Thanks again for that fam"

It's a minor thing and I guess I'm being picky but I feel like she doesn't really know him at all in a new hope and this messes with it. I was on board with it as a device to draw out Obi until they said she was ten (looked younger to me and therefore plausably could of forgotten the whole incident to a certain extent)

I really enjoyed both episodes, especially the first. I'm surprised at the comments about it looking cheap, as if anything I thought the first in particular looked really cinematic.

I thought it was good fun, and thank god it's not just on Tatooine. As for

Spoiler

Leia, the only problem I had was she says she's ten, when she looks more like seven. Maybe she's just short for her age though.

He's not switched his light sabre on yet, has he? It's obviously a psychological issue he has, what with hiding his Jedi abilities for the last ten years.

Am looking forward to the rest :)

The bit in the woods was almost comical.

Spoiler

It looked like a scene from Maid Marion and her Merry Men or something. Like a few people had their face painted then went running around some woods with a camera. Certainly not a multi-million dollar Disney production.

All of the Leia stuff was pretty badly written tbh.

Obi-Wan was great though. I’d have preferred for him to be the focus I think, and just had Leia be kidnapped off screen (or perhaps just open with her kidnapping, with no dialogue).

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

It was ok. Ewan was great, it felt very much like a Saturday morning kids matinee affair to me which is in keeping with the original films intention.

I'm glad all the promotion stuff was in the first two episodes, there's room for it to really surprise in the remaining episodes. I thought it had a strong opening in the Jedi temple, the rest of the action was very minor and quite flat.  

My least favourite bit was another thing that kind of messes with the original films

Hide contents

General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

...oh and there was that incident when I was kidnapped at the age of 10 and you rescued me. Thanks again for that fam"

It's a minor thing and I guess I'm being picky but I feel like she doesn't really know him at all in a new hope and this messes with it. I was on board with it as a device to draw out Obi until they said she was ten (looked younger to me and therefore plausably could of forgotten the whole incident to a certain extent)

Have.

I really liked this. It definitely feels shonky but in a very Star Warsy kind of way. The character motivations make sense and the Sith are really cracking. If you treat it as a canon linking of episodes 3 and 4 pretty much all of it falls apart after a tiny bit of consideration but I'm basically watching it as a live action "imagine if this happened" Star Wars comic and it's been great!

The thing that worries me is the action. We've had a few scenes in Mando season 2 and even some bits of this that work quite well but it's becoming clear that shooting action scenes with those big clever tellies wrapped around the cast is a surefire way to make a chase scene feel like it's going at about 2mph. There's nothing in here as bad as the Mos Vespa chase in Boba Fett but that woods scene wasn't too far off. Those background screens have completely changed what you can do with (admittedly pretty high) TV budgets overnight but it's clear that they've got some working out to do in terms of how to frame action within them. Then again I think the Krayt Dragon episode of the Mandalorian is up there with one of the best action sequences I've seen in a TV show so maybe it's just a case of working out what works and what doesn't. 

I like it, then! It's good! Ewan's actually great in it, which considering I thought he was absolute bobbins in the prequels is high praise indeed. I'm not a binge watcher at all but with this pulpy kind of tv I was more than ready to jump straight into a third ep once two had finished which can only be a good sign. 

Obi-Four out of Five so far. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

He has only identified himself as Ben not Obi-Wan hasn't he? She probably won't see any conversations between her father and him once they return so still sticks to canon.

Although…

Spoiler

When Luke turns up to rescue her from the Death Star he says “I’m here with Ben Kenobi”, and she replies “Ben Kenobi - where is he!?”

I suppose she’s a bit thick and doesn’t associate “Ben” who rescued her when she was 10 with Ben Kenobi who she seems well aware of 9 years later. It’s a stretch to say the least.

39 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Any Rebels fans wondering

Hide contents

Didn't Kanan kill the grand inquisitor? Not really sure what's going on there. 

yup

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I liked the style of that Yoshimitsu-looking mother fucker, too. I'm expecting him to do some crazy cool katana lightsaber stuff.

That's motherfucking HAN! 

HAN

1 hour ago, superfunk said:

I don’t understand why 

Hide contents

The kidnapping had to be a chase. It would have been much better as a raid. The bit where the kidnapper ran into a branch was gobsmacking. 

Spoiler

The villians are terrible at giving chase in this.

The sith where bamboozled by a small bit of fabric. 

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

He has only identified himself as Ben not Obi-Wan hasn't he? She probably won't see any conversations between her father and him once they return so still sticks to canon.

Leia and Ben also never actually meet in ANH do they? 

That’s quite sad now I think of it.