Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

Watched the first two parts last night. It's pretty naff overall, I thought, but McGregor is doing a lot of heavy lifting with his performance to disguise that, and mostly quite effectively. The parts people called out already (the terribly poor woods chase, the terrible rooftop force-parkour, the thwarting of these terrifying Inquisitors with two lengths of bamboo and a rag) were definitely bad. And the Inquisitors seemed a pretty poor quality outfit.

But I did really like Kenobi as this broken shell, stuck keeping this last duty whilst it keeps him from doing anything on his own trauma or trying to redeem himself.

I didn't really like 

Spoiler

the inclusion of Leia-related questing. It seems unnecessary. There must have been a load of ways to drag Kenobi back into conflict/action without it being the only other person we know about in the Universe already. It feels lazy and a poor choice.

And also, whilst I don't have anything against the actor playing child-Leia, the scripting to have her do some precocious presumably force-related mind-reading twice in the exact same annoying way was quite jarring.

It's all too little butter, spread too thinly already.

It’s a notable contrast how cagey Luke’s foster parents are about his potential abilities, whereas Leia’s parents are just ‘she’s so precocious, lol!’ as she walks round dishing out psychological insights she could have no possible way of discerning at her age. 

Hopefully the series ends with Obi-Wan saying ‘guys, take this seriously, yeah?’ 

I thought it was quite interesting that they're positioning her to use latent jedi powers in politics / the senate.  They're weaponising her abilities from an early age.

Where 

Spoiler

Luke just gets to piss about pretending to be a pilot

Anyone notice the contradiction through?

Obi wants Luke to be trained.

But he tells his Jedi buddy to hide and live a normal life.

Whats going to happen to Luke? The Empire would come for him never mind Vader!

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

The clones didn’t have free will did they, they were hard wired to obey order 66 regardless of whether they were decent sorts or not. And the scene showed that they were discarded by the empire once they’d served their purpose.

Correct. Specifically, they had a chip implanted in their brain. A select few didn't/found out prior to order 66 and had it removed and went on to support the rebels (Rex et al).

In fact, it was sort-of-but-not-really retconned that one of the rebels in Return of the Jedi was in fact Captain Rex:

image.png.771ba254eab76cfdbc67ca1d261a7caa.png

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

True. But they really do need to watch Clone Wars, as it's great. :D 

I think @yakumowas trying to use the Jedi mind trick

I know he's older and bit broken down in this, but I'm still pretty sure he should be able to catch a small child, with a foot span about a third of his, waddling away from him in about 10 seconds. Hell, I think I could probably have caught her quicker than a Jedi and bunch of mercenaries managed.

spacer.png

First impressions of this are:

This feels really low budget. 

Or - at the very least - they've taken really strange design decisions on where to spend and where to cut costs. 

Regarding the complaints about the

Spoiler

Jedi blocking the inquisitors with the bar awning. I didn't take it as them being somehow confounded by the barrier and more a case of just not being concerned because they knew he had nowhere to go and they would catch him anyway. The grand inquisitor was more focused on addressing Reva's actions given that she'd attempted to strike the jedi with her lightsabre after her superior had told her to prepare him for interrogation. I expect they might have caught him quite easily if not for her going off-piste.

Ju

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I thought it was quite interesting that they're positioning her to use latent jedi powers in politics / the senate.  They're weaponising her abilities from an early age.

Where 

Reveal hidden contents

Luke just gets to piss about pretending to be a pilot

Sure, but you would have thought they’d teach her to be a bit more reserved with it. She’s already thought of as the odd one out in the extended family, piling ‘freaky psychic’ atop that doesn’t seem the best idea for flying below the radar. 

50 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I think it’s one of this designs that works better in animation.

I think these days everything Star Wars is better in animation. 

Aside from a small amount of pleasure seeing Mcgregor as Obi Wan again, the majority of the show is just so...I dunno...low budget and dull. I think the Inquisitors (who are fab in Rebels) are fucking laughable. 

Plus, I think the actress playing Reva is fairly awful too. No menace in her at all, just a whole load of pantomime acting.

Plus, 5 minutes of her farting about jumping rooftops and all that shite? She's not fucking Batman for god's sake.

Whereas, just flipping on an episode of Bad Batch makes me smile. It's extraordinary who much clear love there is in these things, where everthing live-action feels like a desperate attempt to mine nostalgia. I think Rich on Red Letter Media said the words 'creatively bankrupt', and I tend to agree with him.

There is a much better smaller story in here. I would much rather have watched two hours of mcgregor (on his own) going slowly nuts in a cave - rather than all this baby Leia stuff.

Obi-Wan dealing with some local town skirmish (maybe even a bit of Jabba) would have been way more satisfying than what we got in the first two episodes.