Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

I swear some of you are just smoking crack. 

Bland, boring?

Did you mf's not see this bit within the first few minutes of episode one. That is grade fucking A starwars, and you're missing out on it's awesomeness, because some costume, or character wasn't quite what you expected. CANCEL RLLMUK! 

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

I swear some of you are just smoking crack. 

Bland, boring?

Did you mf's not see this bit within the first few minutes of episode one. That is grade fucking A starwars, and you're missing out on it's awesomeness, because some costume, or character wasn't quite what you expected. CANCEL RLLMUK! 

My favourite part is when the Clone Troopers get a good couple of second's drop on the Jedi and still fail to land a shot from a few yards away. I legitimately got a Bad Feeling right from this moment.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

someone else mentioned it here so I watched it again.

Its very subtle but one of the younglings is a tall black female. It then cuts to her as an adult and it’s the first time we see her.

It didn’t though - it cut to some shots of Tatooine, followed by the shadow of the ship flying overhead and landing, then the Grand Inquisitor appears and she is just in the background. There’s no implied connection between the two.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I assumed this was the case, because otherwise there was absolutely no reason for that scene to exist. My theory is that Reva hates the Jedi because they didn't save her as a Youngling during Order 66. The Jedi guarding her and her friends was cut down, and they were left to fend for themselves. What remains to be seen is how she came to be an Inquisitor. Was she immediately captured, imprisoned and gradually brainwashed, or did she escape from the temple and live rough on Coruscant for ages (growing steadily more annoyed at the Jedi as a result) and manage to get into the Empire because of her Force abilities? She seems like a potentially interesting character, but I really don't think the performance of the actor is very good at this point.

Yeah, that's what I thought - that she particularly has a grudge against Obi-Wan because she blames him personally. My guess is that she will have a redemption arc and Obi-Wan will get over his guilt by saving her from the darkside. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I raise you:

It is very much a show of two halves so far.

With McGregor being the other, larger half.

Oh my.

I won't get what is so wrong with that? The hand held style probably makes it feel a bit more chaotic than it a steady shot even if it is a bit of an affectation.

26 minutes ago, gone fishin said:

This is pretty good, couple little gripes though.

Why was the second episode so dark? Like it was impossible to see most of what was happening.

Ewan McGregor still can’t hold an accent, there were times that he verged into, bizarrely, an American accent in episode two. 

They also should have shown this as the intro to the series.

Ha I watched this very video earlier . Cracking stuff 

4 hours ago, probotector said:

someone else mentioned it here so I watched it again.

Its very subtle but one of the younglings is a tall black female. It then cuts to her as an adult and it’s the first time we see her.

Have to admit that totally flew over my head. I hadn’t made any connection at all between the massacre at the temple and grown up Reva.

And you can put me in the “she’s fine” camp too, really not getting the negativity people are saying…

She’s too clean cut and her acting is bad.

She simply isn’t believable as a bad guy and she isn’t very menacing at all.

Its obvious she will turn to the light side.

After Rose, you would think they made extra effort not to make sure character played by a woman of colour was done properly.

29 minutes ago, probotector said:

She’s too clean cut and her acting is bad.

She simply isn’t believable as a bad guy and she isn’t very menacing at all.

Its obvious she will turn to the light side.

After Rose, you would think they made extra effort not to make sure character played by a woman of colour was done properly.

I wonder if the process was the other way round? The character was written as white with maybe even Sarah Michelle Gellar in the mind's eye. And then the casting came much later- following a different process.

I was kind of shocked at how bad I found this. Well, specifically the second episode. First one was nothing special but perfectly acceptable entertainment, the second one had some outlandishly poor direction. Just didn’t feel like a real space with real things going on at all.

I was laughing at it by the end. The grand inquisitor looking like a total goober. His mate with the stupid hat. The main one standing on the rooftops like Batman and then doing parkour like Michael Scott. Obi Wan just walking around in circles in a tiny virtual stage. I could go on. 

And the whole thing is undermined right from the beginning because it has to cling to loads of plot stuff from the prequels, which were relentlessly stupid films. 

Can Reva be on the light side in a Disney show after:

Spoiler

Chopping that poor ladies hand clean off? For no reason! 

I like the idea of the character more than the performance though. I watched an interview with Moses and they really did not have any passion shown for the role of Star Wars at all. Not that, that is necessary, I just feel it comes across. A few of the performances feel like they don't want to be there at all. 

Jimmy though. Absolutely brilliant as Bail once again! 

With depressing familiarity to Kelly Tran’s experience 

Ffs, why do people do this.  I think the show is pretty good and her performance is fine.  If people don’t agree that’s also fine, but this shit, it’s just embarrassing 

9 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Chopping that poor ladies hand clean off? For no reason! 

Spoiler

Ultimately, everything that she has done will be for the greater good, and in a later episode she will have a moment of reflection on the terrible things she’s had to do to get there.

This shit writes itself.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ultimately, everything that she has done will be for the greater good, and in a later episode she will have a moment of reflection on the terrible things she’s had to do to get there.

This shit writes itself.

Spoiler

But at its core, this is what Star Wars is about, Good overcoming Evil, Redemption, returning to the light, etc.

So episode 3 then….

Spoiler

whilst overall I preferred it, and it was nice to see Vader again …

….Some glaring plot holes in there:

Surely all Reva has to do is check that cargo ships manifest and it could be intercepted on landing?

If  the storm troopers in the transport were looking for a Jedi - wouldn’t the description have mentioned a man and a little girl? And that one of them was called Leia? 

And Vader let Obi-wan get away because of a bit of fire. He must really be worried about messing up his new suit. Especially as we know how much he is driven by revenge. 

What’s frustrating about all those points is that they could have easily been fixed in the writing phase. It’s just piss poor scripting that is either rushed or doesn’t seem to much care about whether anything anyone is doing makes narrative sense or not.

And whilst I quite like the broken obi wan, I think it’s getting a bit repetitive now. The point feels laboured. You would think his survival instinct would kick in… but ok Ewan - you are so fun to watch I’ll go with it! 

3 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

3rd one out already?! I thought it was every Friday not Wednesday (not that I’m complaining)

No, it’s Wednesdays. They delayed the first one to Friday for some reason and threw in the second with it to make up for it. But from now on, Wednesday. Wednesday is the normal day for their big self-made shows. 

It was delayed for the Star Wars convention, I believe.

Episode three was a lot better than the first two, but still not amazing.

Why the fuck they feel the need to save all the good bits and shoot them in the dark is beyond me. 

Loved episode 3 

Spoiler

seeing how sadistic Vader is now. Killing the town folk to get obi wan to show himself …. And then the whole burning kenobi as revenge…. The whole appearing out of the darkness while stalking kenobi gave me Jason vorhees badass vibes 

Also they nailed the voice again (rogue one vaders voice sounded off  even with jones doing it)

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Thought episode 3 was awesome.  Loved it.

Very Star Wars-y, very entertaining.

Yeah me too.

Im obviously very easily pleased, perhaps thats because I havent really bothered with Star Wars outside the first three plus Mandalorian, but im absolutely loving this.

Episode 3 was so hype that when The Phantom Menace was recommended next I almost, almost took them up on it.

Spoiler

The foley on Vader’s assembly in the beginning made me make noises.

18 hours ago, gone fishin said:

This is pretty good, couple little gripes though.

Why was the second episode so dark? Like it was impossible to see most of what was happening.

Ewan McGregor still can’t hold an accent, there were times that he verged into, bizarrely, an American accent in episode two. 

They also should have shown this as the intro to the series.

This always bothered me - why did R2D2 claim to be Obi Wan's property?  Is it just because he's a mad wee radge who'll lie to get what he wants?