IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

3 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

When I don’t like something though I just move on and find something I do enjoy. Life’s too short for me to be wasting any more of it writing paragraphs of text explaining why. 

I always find this kind of framing of how we interact in forums both incredibly sad and dismissive.

We are social creatures and we like to communicate, and people find value in commenting on stuff both good and bad. If you want to go the "Life's too short" route - and truly believe that - then why did you even bother posting at all?

I don't even like Star Wars at all (I think it's all rubbish) and yet I still enjoy reading the opinions of people on here, good and bad, just like I do for a lot of topics.

And besides, we learn a bit more about each other in this community in what people enjoy (or not) and that's a good thing, no? 

On 31/05/2022 at 22:16, SuperCapes said:

Can Reva be on the light side in a Disney show after:

Hide contents

Chopping that poor ladies hand clean off? For no reason! 

I like the idea of the character more than the performance though. I watched an interview with Moses and they really did not have any passion shown for the role of Star Wars at all. Not that, that is necessary, I just feel it comes across. A few of the performances feel like they don't want to be there at all. 

Jimmy though. Absolutely brilliant as Bail once again! 

Jimmy is a really good actor. He really came across as a nice dad.

So the bloke playing 

Spoiler

Darth in costume isn't Christensen, but then Christensen is playing the hallucinatory version of Anakin that Obi Wan keeps seeing. Is that right?

On 03/06/2022 at 09:43, SeanR said:

image.thumb.png.86282ef6f545ce031682945142230aea.png

You KNOW I hate sand..."

It would have been better if he couldn't follow Obi Wan into the quarry and he ended up stamping his feet as Ben flipped him off.

8 minutes ago, Steven said:

It would have been better if he couldn't follow Obi Wan into the quarry and he ended up stamping his feet as Ben flipped him off.

A bit like how ED-209 can’t handle stairs? 

Just caught up with the first 3 episodes and it's really enjoyable, even if it is kind of fucking around with lore. The production values are really great.

I know nothing of the Inquisertors but is the Third Sister one 

Spoiler

of the younglings? They showed that scene and those children st the start for a reason and one of them was a black girl.

Also in the posters, she has Vader in her eye, whereas everyone else has Obi Wan.

Is she playing some weird long game to get close to Vader?

I watched Episode 3 again and enjoyed it for what it was... but...

Spoiler

That ending is so bizarrely bad in that it breaks all its own rules. After Obi-wan is saved by resistance fighter woman - it would have been really easy to just write in that he was picked up quickly by a speeder or hovering spaceship or whatever and make a swift exit from Darth.

Instead you have an ending where Darth will not walk his robot ass through the fire (which would have made a cool shot btw) or use the force to grab Kenobi (in the same way he had just been using it for the last 12 minutes). Instead Kenobi is saved by a slow ass droid that would have been easily caught by the troopers or force pulled back by Darth.

Its just so lazy and weird. And this series has been filled with these suspension of belief breaking moments. And its a real shame - because there is a great series in here somewhere.

4 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I assume that’s aimed at my earlier comment? 

I’m far from a Star Wars fanboy. I thought the Mandalorian was a load a shite, Book of Fett the same and I’ve not even made it to the end of any of the animated series since Rebels. 

When I don’t like something though I just move on and find something I do enjoy. Life’s too short for me to be wasting any more of it writing paragraphs of text explaining why. 

I guess it depends what you’re trying to get out of it. I’m happy to watch bad things because I’m interested in what makes media enjoyable or not for me and analysing and discussing that, I feel like I can learn as much about my own tastes and ideas from something I don’t enjoy as something I do. So I’m just happy to give anything a shot and chat about it afterwards, whether it worked for me or not.

And though your comment probably set me off, I feel like my annoyance is more at the general “it’s like you’re trying to hate it” comments I see a lot in Disney discussion spaces. The marvel community seem to be incapable of understanding that you might like a franchise, go into it hoping to have fun, think it’s shit and just want to talk about that. I feel like there’s a crossover between uncritical love of giant corporate franchises and the people who complain about “haters”. Just because you or something you like gets criticised, it doesn’t make that person a de-facto enemy. 

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

😃

Yeah. I hesitate to say I'm a fanboy because apparently there's some really toxic fans out there, but I do love me some SW and this is ticking boxes.

There's so much average stuff out there that you just watch to take the edge off being aware of the world or whatever, gotta cling to what genuinely excites you.

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yeah. I hesitate to say I'm a fanboy because apparently there's some really toxic fans out there, but I do love me some SW and this is ticking boxes.

There's so much average stuff out there that you just watch to take the edge off being aware of the world or whatever, gotta cling to what genuinely excites you.

Literally only just discovered there's an actual group who call themselves The Fandom Menace and that they've review bomber this immediately after McGregors social media "can we not be racists" post

I am loving this so far, but those bits already mentioned are really dumb, It's so odd they get through considering the budget and prominence of this show.

Perhaps it's just Ewan and the whole starwars and vaderness that's elevating it, and it is just a bit sloppy?

The Andor series looks a million times better and looks like a film.

This all looks wobbly and low budget.

No doubt McGregor is amazing in this which makes everything look even worse and jarring.

Obi and Vader running around the quarry just looked bad for a setting.

It just seems like a bunch of dudes playing Star Wars in their back garden and Obi popped by with a “hello there”

I’m watching this with my 9yo and we’re really enjoying it, after being disappointed with the prequels and the sequels we both seem to have turned down our scepticism and enjoy it for what it is. 

27 minutes ago, probotector said:

The Andor series looks a million times better and looks like a film.

This all looks wobbly and low budget.

No doubt McGregor is amazing in this which makes everything look even worse and jarring.

Obi and Vader running around the quarry just looked bad for a setting.

It just seems like a bunch of dudes playing Star Wars in their back garden and Obi popped by with a “hello there”

He still hasn't bloody said it though has he.  :hmm:

Only read about the Moses Ingram stuff today.

Amazing really that two prominent non-white actresses happen to be in roles and give performances that real fans dislike, eh?

Tbf, she is a bit shit so far. She's trying too hard and simply isn't good enough of an actress yet.

Not that excuses any racial discrimination she is currently getting.

Posting this here as it's the most currently active Star Wars thread..

Has anyone ever been to Star Wars Celebration? I see it's back in London next year and I'm really tempted to go. It's likely to be quite an expense with the tickets plus accommodation and travel etc. Is it actually any good?

5 hours ago, sith said:

Tbf, she is a bit shit so far. She's trying too hard and simply isn't good enough of an actress yet.

Not that excuses any racial discrimination she is currently getting.

That's the part the actor is acting. The character is trying too hard. That' entirely the point.

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’ll preface this by saying I think the show is only okay and mostly carried by dreamboat McGregor. But the comments about Moses Ingram’s character “not being a convincing bad guy”, “being too young” and “trying too hard”. 

You know that’s literally the point right?

She’s clearly a displaced youngling desperate for acceptance and trying too hard to fit in with the darkside. Overcompensating because she knows she’s not the real deal but with nowhere else to go, angry and feeling betrayed because she was taken from her real family and then deserted by an institution supposed to protect her when the shit hit the fan.

She’s another aspect of Obi-Wan and the wider Jedi Order’s failure. A walking nuclear bomb that’s fallen into the wrong hands through their hubris and naivety. Like Anakin before her, like Luke and Leia could have been. 

The Vietnam war was fresh in Lucas’ mind when he made Star Wars and young, restless, ambitious people desperate to be taken seriously as adults being manipulated by old white men has been a theme since day 1. Moses Ingram as a young black woman is perfect casting for a modern version of this. 

Yeah 100%. It's a good performance because the character is supposed to be try hard and over the top. She's trying to be the baddest baddie and failing at it. But it's the usual Star Wars fans + Subtext = Review Bombing/Death Threats/Racism nonsense. 

Perhaps (*certainly) I'm cherrypicking/making sweeping generalisations of themes or backdrops here, but one thing struck me so far. Spoilered just in case. 

Spoiler

Phantom Menace/Part 1 of Obi Wan - Desert planet, suffering, oppression

Attack of the Clones/Part 2 of Obi Wan - Futuristic neon city, antics, tomfoolery, japes

Revenge of the Sith/Part 3 of Obi Wan - Vader, fire, fighting of adversaries, peril

Meh, just a thought. It seems (to me) the writers are making careful nods to the style and themes of the prequels (where 'this' Obi Wan lived) and balancing with the original films canon. It's a tightrope.

14 hours ago, revol said:

Perhaps (*certainly) I'm cherrypicking/making sweeping generalisations of themes or backdrops here, but one thing struck me so far. Spoilered just in case. 

Reveal hidden contents

Attack of the Clones/Part 2 of Obi Wan - Futuristic neon city, antics, tomfoolery, japes

Revenge of the Sith/Part 3 of Obi Wan - Vader, fire, fighting of adversaries, peril

Meh, just a thought. It seems (to me) the writers are making careful nods to the style and themes of the prequels (where 'this' Obi Wan lived) and balancing with the original films canon. It's a tightrope.

I thought the exact same thing. 

Spoiler

The end of this episode was a reprise of the end of Revenge of the Sith, so I would be very surprised if they’re not deliberately referencing the prequels.

I wonder if the pattern will hold, and the next episode will be referencing the first Star Wars film. It will (presumably) start with Leia captured by the empire, so maybe?

41 minutes ago, revol said:

Hide contents

That's quite fascinating. The fact that there are six episodes makes it entirely possible.