Jump to content
IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May


Nimmel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Leah is a truly awful child actress , I don’t want to see another fucking running sequence shot from her low down angle again it looks terrible. Like everyone else is in slow motion.


and the writing is so lazy in places.

 

epi 3 why the fuck couldn’t they just walk around the barrier in the road? That’s wily-cayote levels of shite

 

and Vader already out the fire out why not again

 

and can’t he use the force through fire now

 

And the whole ‘I’ve already spoken to Vader’ thing, fucking show us you speaking to Vader then as some sort of sub plot rather than just tell us some stuff happened off screen

 

and more fucking fetch quests ! Go to this planet ! Get the girl ! Aaaaaargh 

 

some of the cgi is completely off, totally rushed through…nowhere near mando / fett last few episodes

 

and fighting in a quarry is Blake 7 levels of shite fucking hell

 

McGregor is just about carrying it at the moment.

 

it has potential but it’s a hard watch in places…..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sid said:

And the whole ‘I’ve already spoken to Vader’ thing, fucking show us you speaking to Vader then as some sort of sub plot rather than just tell us some stuff happened off screen


This did happen on screen, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Paulando said:


This did happen on screen, right?


The third sister spoke to him, yes, but about five minutes later when the probe had found Kenobi the green-faced bloke Inquisitor told her he’d already spoken to Vader when she said she was going to tell him the probe had done its job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Exactly, I image this comes from some sort of show don’t tell essentialism 

 


what would that have added, except an extra scene?  What’s important in that scene is the conflict between the two inquisitors.  We saw her speak to Vader, and we’ve seen his reaction to her bypassing the chain of command, now we see him reasserting it.  


Also Reva is our focus character in the inquisition, we learn about things when she does, we see what she does.  We saw her go speak to Vader and in her eyes make her the lead on this mission.  She expects to go report this to Vader, it comes as a shock to her that the other dude has asserted himself and done it already - since she’s our character we are similarly out of the loop as the audience.  Doing the scene with the dramatic irony that we know he’s spoken to Vader when she doesn’t doesn’t add anything to it imo.


it would have added some build up, that they are going behind each other’s backs to the big man, and so that when they eventually are in the same room together having that discussion you know how it’s going to go, you know something she doesn’t, and that’s more complex , less boring and exciting. You are more invested in the characters. When he eventually dies, you quickly reflect on his character , his relationship with Vader. Knowing that she works with a bunch of backstabbing bastards makes you empathise with her character more (on a side note - this is clearly the direction it’s headed in with some sort of shock turn to the light side and save poor obiwan from doom later on - because he’s a weak man and needs saving by the strong women - sigh more lazy writing why does every Disney? story now turn into this)

 

But as it stands you don’t know anything about his relationship with Vader. Does he treat him with the same disdain as her, does he trust him to do his bidding. Do you think she will ultimately therefore fail because he is the stronger, the more experienced and has the backing of Vader.

 

rather than ‘I spoke to Vader’ meh 🫤 

 

It’s just so fucking lazy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

Exactly, I image this comes from some sort of show don’t tell essentialism 

 


what would that have added, except an extra scene?  What’s important in that scene is the conflict between the two inquisitors.  We saw her speak to Vader, and we’ve seen his reaction to her bypassing the chain of command, now we see him reasserting it.  


Also Reva is our focus character in the inquisition, we learn about things when she does, we see what she does.  We saw her go speak to Vader and in her eyes make her the lead on this mission.  She expects to go report this to Vader, it comes as a shock to her that the other dude has asserted himself and done it already - since she’s our character we are similarly out of the loop as the audience.  Doing the scene with the dramatic irony that we know he’s spoken to Vader when she doesn’t doesn’t add anything to it imo.

 

Right, Han(d) Choppo is a character whose perspective we are following whereas Han Tokyo Drifto isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darren said:

 

I'd stop digging at this point if I were you.

I say we let him carry on... It won't be long before we start hearing 'mary sue' and 'sjw' then the all time classic 'stop bringing politics into star wars'. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darren said:

 

I'd stop digging at this point if I were you.


obi wan is supposed to kick ass though hasn’t he! He should be saving folks not being saved himself , he should be at the peak of his powers.  Fed up seeing great characters reduced to shite. Fett was the same…..Luke was the same. It’s just really easy to write the characters in that way. But it’s boring as fuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I say we let him carry on... It won't be long before we start hearing 'mary sue' and 'sjw' then the all time classic 'stop bringing politics into star wars'. 


no it’s not about that , it’s just boring to watch. Like it’s designed by committee and everything has to follow the same bloody story beats.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obi Wan from the OT was wise, and trustable, and knew about the force, but he wasn’t that much of a bad-ass. He only got into one fight and got killed in that one. Edit - I suppose there was also the bar fight, but that was over before it started.

 

I’m not a prequel guy, but I do like Ewan Mcgregor doing the role. He does seem to be missing the ‘kind old man’ aspect though, Alec Guinness would not have appeared so out of his depth, or been so distant with a little girl, I don’t think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely think this show isn't for everyone and they should probably stop watching it if they're finding it so bad/annoying/both.

 

(Which is fine if you do think that btw)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thor said:

She really is not. She's brilliant.

 

Yup, I agree. She's a great little actor. The bits between her and Obi-Wan are by far the strongest part of the show. 

 

In other news - I was busy introducing my nephews to the original 2d animated Clone Wars series. Man, I don't think I'd seen it since it was originally on! It's so bloody good, and I completely forgot how it effectively is a prelude to the beginning of the third movie! 

 

Now I know why General Grievous coughs and splutters all the time!

 

I know it's kind of been superseded by the 3d series (which I love too), it's such a wonderful bit of animation :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do wish they had kept this story smaller. In a Logan type of way.

 

We didn't need epic planet hopping - just Obi-Wan hiding in the desert, dealing with his grief and then getting dragged into a local town conflict. Western style - trying his best not to expose himself as a Jedi and bring attention to Tatooine.

 

A well written and performed version of that, would have worked wonders (for me anyway).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I do wish they had kept this story smaller. In a Logan type of way.

 

We didn't need epic planet hopping - just Obi-Wan hiding in the desert, dealing with his grief and then getting dragged into a local town conflict. Western style - trying his best not to expose himself as a Jedi and bring attention to Tatooine.

 

A well written and performed version of that, would have worked wonders (for me anyway).

You just described The Book of Boba Fett. It would be too similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, sid said:


obi wan is supposed to kick ass though hasn’t he! He should be saving folks not being saved himself , he should be at the peak of his powers.  

 

He's barely willing to use the Force at all and spent the last decade hiding in a cave with his lightsaber buried in the desert, he's as far from his peak as he's probably been his entire life. Have you not noticed that he's been almost scared to even ignite his lightsaber? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, redbloodcell said:

 

He's barely willing to use the Force at all and spent the last decade hiding in a cave with his lightsaber buried in the desert, he's as far from his peak as he's probably been his entire life. Have you not noticed that he's been almost scared to even ignite his lightsaber? 


No of course I haven’t missed all that. But it’s the same bloody story as Luke isn’t it, jaded etc just boring imo. 
 

It’s only been 10 years hasn’t it since the end of episode 3 film to this series ? He was hard as fuck in films 1-3. He doesn’t come across as ‘jaded’ in the OT either…wise old man whose still a bit handy.

 

anyway it’s only 3 episodes in , mando was a slow starter …… I’m still enjoying it just could be so much more I think. I think mcgreger is great at this age he plays the character very well.

 

can’t believe they killed off the white faced angry dude either he was ace!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, sid said:


No of course I haven’t missed all that. But it’s the same bloody story as Luke isn’t it, jaded etc just boring imo. 
 

It’s only been 10 years hasn’t it since the end of episode 3 film to this series ? He was hard as fuck in films 1-3. He doesn’t come across as ‘jaded’ in the OT either…wise old man whose still a bit handy.

 

anyway it’s only 3 episodes in , mando was a slow starter …… I’m still enjoying it just could be so much more I think. I think mcgreger is great at this age he plays the character very well.

 

can’t believe they killed off the white faced angry dude either he was ace!


I think he’s certainly in a similar place Luke was in after his failure with Ben/Kylo. He’s been traumatised by having to - as he thought - kill his best friend after seeing his training fail so spectacularly that he had to watch his Order nearly completely wiped out, and is also in hiding, trying desperately not to use his powers incase it draws the attention of those hunting him. As said, he’s extremely reluctant to use the Force, and is very out of practice by choice.

 

There’ve been some daft bits, some quite crap bits, but I’m enjoying the performances of the Leia and Reva actors, and it’s like seeing an old friend again having McGregor back as Obi-Wan. We’ve even had a bit more reinforcement of Rogue One Vader actually living up to his reputation, and I’m loving all that :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I definitely think this show isn't for everyone and they should probably stop watching it if they're finding it so bad/annoying/both.

 

(Which is fine if you do think that btw)


I think people who don’t like reading posts about people not enjoying the TV show they’re watching should stop looking at those posts and also stop writing posts commenting on the posts they don’t like.

 

Or alternatively we could all choose to spend our time however we want to? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sid said:

It’s only been 10 years hasn’t it since the end of episode 3 film to this series ? He was hard as fuck in films 1-3. He doesn’t come across as ‘jaded’ in the OT either…wise old man whose still a bit handy.

 

So presumably we're going to fill in the gap of how he got from 'powerful Jedi reduced to PTSD-riddled fugitive' after Revenge of the Sith to 'wise and eccentric loner who's still got the moves when he needs them' in A New Hope. That could be a good story! Definitely feels a bit early to whinge about that aspect of the tale, anyway, they've only just finished establishing the first bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind the direction they've taken Obi Wan, it's a little too on the nose pathetic, and there are other ways to take it, but ya know, it's fine if that's the choice they want to take. I'm guessing he has some epiphany and owns vader in the face the next time they meet (after being beaten close to death or other some contrivance). I will be genuinly dissapointed if he doesn't get a badass redemption moment at some point. Oh, and of course "hello there!".

 

Has this whole thing about Moses Ingram literally been started by disney themselves, and their moronic fucking tweet accusing their fans of being racist before the fact? I didn't hear one person bitch about her being in the role, the whole controversy seems to be based around the reaction by disney themselves. Of course you'll get racist niche comments for anything, it's the internet, but there is no mass outcry about her that I've seen. I mean, until the show started, as she's not great so far. But, all of the inquisitors are shit in this and so underwhelming. Maybe that's being mislabelled as racism?

 

I didn't hear anyone bitch about Rosario as Ashoka (historically voiced by a blonde white lady for the last decade), why? Because she was fucking good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I don't mind the direction they've taken Obi Wan, it's a little too on the nose pathetic, and there are other ways to take it, but ya know, it's fine if that's the choice they want to take. I'm guessing he has some epiphany and owns vader in the face the next time they meet (after being beaten close to death or other some contrivance). I will be genuinly dissapointed if he doesn't get a badass redemption moment at some point. Oh, and of course "hello there!".

 

Has this whole thing about Moses Ingram literally been started by disney themselves, and their moronic fucking tweet accusing their fans of being racist before the fact? I didn't hear one person bitch about her being in the role, the whole controversy seems to be based around the reaction by disney themselves. Of course you'll get racist niche comments for anything, it's the internet, but there is no mass outcry about her that I've seen. I mean, until the show started, as she's not great so far. But, all of the inquisitors are shit in this and so underwhelming. Maybe that's being mislabelled as racism?

 

I didn't hear anyone bitch about Rosario as Ashoka, why? Because she was fucking good.

Nah there was definitely racist abuse of her as soon as episode one aired (and probably before). To say Disney have somehow started it is a bit bizarre. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Nah there was definitely racist abuse of her as soon as episode one aired (and probably before). To say Disney have somehow started it is a bit bizarre. 

Disney started it:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/05/31/star-wars-makes-bizarre-late-night-tweet-about-racism-and-obi-wan-kenobi-actress-moses-ingram/

 

As I also said, you'll get racist remarks about anything, all the time, it's the internet, it's a loud, vocal minority. There wasn't an issue with her until the show aired, because you know, the inqusitors have been... a bit shit so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.