Jump to content

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May


Nimmel
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, K said:

I might be going against the grain a bit, but unlike everyone else I don’t really like Ewan McGregor’s performance in this. His accent is a bit distracting. He sounds like a white rapper. 

His credits don't jiggle jiggle, they fold, he likes to see you wiggle wiggle, fo sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, K said:

I might be going against the grain a bit, but unlike everyone else I don’t really like Ewan McGregor’s performance in this. His accent is a bit distracting. He sounds like a white rapper. 


I think he’s been mostly great so far but the accent has a lot of his Halston in it, which can be a bit distracting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the arguments that Leia’s message to Obi Wan could be interpreted as her already knowing him, why would she say “Years ago you served my father in the clone wars” like she’s explaining who she is, rather than “years ago you came to my aid” or “remember that time I hid under your coat bro”?

 

Also, I think Reva is pretty good, especially this week but this

 

On 09/06/2022 at 16:56, MDY said:

 

 

Is the worst argument for her performance ever because Anakin is fucking shite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2022 at 10:09, Ran said:

Aye, I'm at a loss. Presumably he means the lack of dismemberment? I thought it was handled really well, Obi making some very precise slices rather than carving up stormtroopers into meaty chunks. (Pretty much what Luke does to all the humanoids on Jabbas sail barge, and frankly not that surprising given there will be lots of kids watching).

I thought the coat escape looked pretty daft and the cutting of the speeders did make me think why haven't they slammed into the walls? (Quickly answered by "oh they are like harriers? Cool). Still don't have a problem with Reva and Leia (even if Revas not my favourite villain of all time I don't see it's anything to do with the actor so much as the writing).

At the end

  Reveal hidden contents

The little handgrab she did with Obi wan was incredibly sweet and one of my favourite moments in all their series.

 

 

Yeah I think someone nailed it earlier…basically the rules for this were established in episodes 4 and 5 , they cut through stuff and are really fucking dangerous , metal , flesh no problem. That’s what brings the drama to any lightsaber battle.

 

also episode 1 - mauls first scene, double lightsaber dangerous af. Putting lightsaber into the door to melt it.

 

also mandalorian Luke first scene, just chopping everything up.

 

When playing with the figures as a kid, that’s just what they did. 
 

return of the Jedi turned it down a little I think…Sail barge scene and all that….

 

You defeat stormtroopers by deflecting the lasers not by lightsabers bouncing off them…..that’s how you deal with not having to show dismemberment. It’s a defensive act. Not battering people with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ckny said:

Finally caught up on the show and skimmed through the thread. Surprised nobody commented on the “hello there” tease in Ep2.

 

Ha. Yes I noticed that. Forgot it by the time I'd caught up with the all the arguing here. I dunno why I bother reading it really, doesn't matter which side of the debate I'd be on it's just a bit miserable. My kid's 8 and bang into anything Star Wars at the moment, we're having fun making a bit of an event out of all these series and he still seems to be enjoying it, so I am too despite the clunky moments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sid said:

Yeah I think someone nailed it earlier…basically the rules for this were established in episodes 4 and 5 , they cut through stuff and are really fucking dangerous , metal , flesh no problem. That’s what brings the drama to any lightsaber battle.

 

also episode 1 - mauls first scene, double lightsaber dangerous af. Putting lightsaber into the door to melt it.

 

also mandalorian Luke first scene, just chopping everything up.

 

When playing with the figures as a kid, that’s just what they did. 
 

return of the Jedi turned it down a little I think…Sail barge scene and all that….

 

You defeat stormtroopers by deflecting the lasers not by lightsabers bouncing off them…..that’s how you deal with not having to show dismemberment. It’s a defensive act. Not battering people with it.


What are you talking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Broker said:

After the arguments that Leia’s message to Obi Wan could be interpreted as her already knowing him, why would she say “Years ago you served my father in the clone wars” like she’s explaining who she is, rather than “years ago you came to my aid” or “remember that time I hid under your coat bro”?

 

I'd say it's because she didn't know the true reason why Obi Wan came to her aid, other than he helped her father in the clone war - so that is what she lead with. 

I don't think it's clear one way or another how she knew him from that message - arguments either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


What happened? Something in Obi-Wan?

 

Magic space swords being inconsistent in films. They were literally inconsistent when they didn't make people vanish and leave their clothes like they did Obi-Wan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Delargey said:

 

I'd say it's because she didn't know the true reason why Obi Wan came to her aid, other than he helped her father in the clone war - so that is what she lead with. 

I don't think it's clear one way or another how she knew him from that message - arguments either way.


It just feels a bit like they came up with the idea of him rescuing a kid then Disney were like “can’t it be someone from another Star Wars property who we already know?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Broker said:


It just feels a bit like they came up with the idea of him rescuing a kid then Disney were like “can’t it be someone from another Star Wars property who we already know?”


Would he really have come out of hiding for someone he didn’t have a connection to, knowing he was being hunted?

When he spoke to the Jedi on the run, he was trying to avoid risk as much as possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2022 at 13:38, Treble said:

Deborah Chow

Excellent director. I think she's been handed a film script and told, "Turn this into a long series. In 6 months". Then just as she's getting to grips with this, she was told, "Oh, and you're gonna have to use small sets and Unreal engine. That cool?"

 

She directed on The Mandalorian. Virtual stages aren't new to her.  I can't remember which episode she did. It would be interesting to look back and see if it's a similar mix of some good character bits and bizarre action.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

 

She directed on The Mandalorian. Virtual stages aren't new to her.  I can't remember which episode she did. It would be interesting to look back and see if it's a similar mix of some good character bits and bizarre action.


She did episode 3 and 7. The action was pretty good in those iirc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Episode V - the best yet IMO

 

Spoiler

THAT'S how to do Star Wars - loved the build up, the way they used the flashback of Anakin and Obi Wan training (ignoring the fact that Anakin looked older than Obi Wan :lol:), the fight between Reva and Vader was so mismatched, showing just how powerful Vader is.

 

So they're now building up to explaining why Vader knew he had a son but not a daughter.  Interesting.....

 

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Episode V - the best yet IMO

 

  Hide contents

THAT'S how to do Star Wars - loved the build up, the way they used the flashback of Anakin and Obi Wan training (ignoring the fact that Anakin looked older than Obi Wan :lol:), the fight between Reva and Vader was so mismatched, showing just how powerful Vader is.

 

So they're now building up to explaining why Vader knew he had a son but not a daughter.  Interesting.....

 

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

 

My sentiments too, easily the best episode yet.

 

Spoiler

I did find Reva to be extremely stupid though, if you're gonna sneak kill a man, don't swing your sword and shout really loudly so he knows :lol:

 

Watching Vader toy with her was so good, he's so powerful and skilled, it's great to watch.

 

Pour one for for the big boy droid though, what a badass.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes! Fucking YES!!

 

I've been heavily onboard with this from the start in spite of its flaws but its got better and better with every episode.

 

Spoiler

Once again we have to accept a stupid set-up with Reva confronting Vader when she had god knows how many better opportunities to do it, but apart from that it was just fantastic. Reva v Vader was brilliant. So many great little touches and moves used to show just how powerful Vader is and its all set-up brilliantly for the finale next week. Still feels like there is going to be several threads left hanging for whatever they feel they can squeeze into the story but we are surely at least going to get a proper duel between Obi-Wan and Vader. How that is to play out though I'm not really sure... which is good :) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Episode V - the best yet IMO

 

  Hide contents

THAT'S how to do Star Wars - loved the build up, the way they used the flashback of Anakin and Obi Wan training (ignoring the fact that Anakin looked older than Obi Wan :lol:), the fight between Reva and Vader was so mismatched, showing just how powerful Vader is.

 

So they're now building up to explaining why Vader knew he had a son but not a daughter.  Interesting.....

 

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

 

 

I did wonder why

Spoiler

they'd spent more effort on de-aging Ice-T than Anakin. (yeah, I know)

 

 

Also, and I dont know why this only occurred to me now when the Reva about-face was obvious.....but the idea of an ex-padawan, pretend sith double-agent is potentially a really interesting take on the whole 'grey jedi' thing. A proper 'ends justify the means, at any cost' kinda mentality worth exploring.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

 

 

I did wonder why

  Hide contents

they'd spent more effort on de-aging Ice-T than Anakin. (yeah, I know)

 

 

Also, and I dont know why this only occurred to me now when the Reva about-face was obvious.....but the idea of an ex-padawan, pretend sith double-agent is potentially a really interesting take on the whole 'grey jedi' thing. A proper 'ends justify the means, at any cost' kinda mentality worth exploring.

 

 

Ice Cube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Episode V - the best yet IMO

  Hide contents

So they're now building up to explaining why Vader knew he had a son but not a daughter.  Interesting.....

 


Surely it’s always been the case that 

Spoiler

He didn’t know about either until Episode IV when he felt the force in Luke through surviving the trench run. He didn’t start looking for him until after that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:


Surely it’s always been the case that 

  Hide contents

He didn’t know about either until Episode IV when he felt the force in Luke through surviving the trench run. He didn’t start looking for him until after that.

 


Even then does he realise

 

Spoiler

exactly who he is before Palpatine tells him Luke is the “offspring of Anakin Skywalker” in ESB ? He does the old “How is this possible ?” schtick. There’s so many books/comics etc, I’m not sure if it’s established Vader knows who he is before that point. In the Shadows Of The Empire book he does, but that’s probably not canon anymore.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.