Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

Overall a very enjoyable episode- but I can't get past the huge logic fails during every action sequence. I've said it before- it feels like the Emmerdale or Coronation Street production team in charge of Star Wars. They have the guts of a decent story- but have no skill whatsoever in terms of action sequences or any other sequence that doesn't just involve a couple of characters talking to each other.

5 hours ago, Jammy said:

Even then does he realise

Hide contents

exactly who he is before Palpatine tells him Luke is the “offspring of Anakin Skywalker” in ESB ? He does the old “How is this possible ?” schtick. There’s so many books/comics etc, I’m not sure if it’s established Vader knows who he is before that point. In the Shadows Of The Empire book he does, but that’s probably not canon anymore.

Spoiler

Canon wise he finds out post ANH but pre ESB. It's explored in the comics - I think he keeps it hidden from Palpatine that he knows though. 

Episode V was great. 

My wife was catching up the other episodes today so we could watch the latest one together. She has seen all the films multiple times. After the end of episode 3,

Spoiler

Obi gets burned in a quarry,

she turned to me and said “that must be how Obi-Wan lost his arm”, which genuinely confused me for 10 seconds or so until I worked out what she thought she meant. 

Then, halfway through episode 4, she asked “why does everyone keep calling him Ben?”. I’m beginning to suspect she might not be a proper fan after all. 

Anyway, one question I have, that I don’t think is clear unless I missed it. 

Spoiler

The whole plot hangs on them kidnapping Leia to draw out Obi-Wan, presumably at Vader’s request, but I could also go with it being Reva’s idea to get closer to Vader. 

But at this point, no-one knows that Leia is Vader’s daughter, and no-one knows any connection between Leia and Obi-Wan. So why did they assume that kidnapping her would force Obi-Wan to come out of retirement for one last case? Have I missed something obvious?

5 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Episode V was great. 

My wife was catching up the other episodes today so we could watch the latest one together. She has seen all the films multiple times. After the end of episode 3,

Hide contents

Obi gets burned in a quarry,

she turned to me and said “that must be how Obi-Wan lost his arm”, which genuinely confused me for 10 seconds or so until I worked out what she thought she meant. 

Then, halfway through episode 4, she asked “why does everyone keep calling him Ben?”. I’m beginning to suspect she might not be a proper fan after all. 

Anyway, one question I have, that I don’t think is clear unless I missed it. 

Hide contents

The whole plot hangs on them kidnapping Leia to draw out Obi-Wan, presumably at Vader’s request, but I could also go with it being Reva’s idea to get closer to Vader. 

But at this point, no-one knows that Leia is Vader’s daughter, and no-one knows any connection between Leia and Obi-Wan. So why did they assume that kidnapping her would force Obi-Wan to come out of retirement for one last case? Have I missed something obvious?

Spoiler

Reva mentioned that she found a link between Bail Organa and Obi-Wan and figured that Bail would call him for help (unless I'm imagining this!)

I just said something stupid but then thought 'hmm' to the missus. Bit spolier-y after EP-V.

Spoiler

I'd genuinely be interested in an 'Anakin' series, just seeing him in proper training, being taught the ways. Build that relationship up a bit. Rectify the prequels. Even with a few more wrinkles on Hayden. #bringbacknegs

Yep, enjoyed that a lot. Was not expecting 

Spoiler

the twist with the third sister - was it foreshadowed in the first episode?

And did we actually see the OG Grand Inquisitor die? I was surprised to see him up and walking about after she cut him down earlier in the series.

Finally, are we supposed to infer that Vader also saw the hologram message, or just the third sister saw it? What does Obi-Wan seem to sense at the very end - that Vader is on his way to Luke?

And I thought 

Spoiler

Anakin and Obi's flashback battle interspersed throughout was great. His acting has improved!

On 13/06/2022 at 01:09, jonamok said:

Just dropped in after finally seeing Episode IV (oh the irony), to say that this is still laughable shit. And it has nothing to do with any particular actor’s performance, as they are all equally forgettable. It’s rather more to do with the toe-curlingly bad plotting and direction. Honestly shocked every week how some of this shit got past the first writers room meeting. Bafflingly poor.

Just change IV to V above. Kthksbye. 

47 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Reveal hidden contents

And did we actually see the OG Grand Inquisitor die? I was surprised to see him up and walking about after she cut him down earlier in the series.

Finally, are we supposed to infer that Vader also saw the hologram message, or just the third sister saw it? What does Obi-Wan seem to sense at the very end - that Vader is on his way to Luke?

And I thought 

Reveal hidden contents

Anakin and Obi's flashback battle interspersed throughout was great. His acting has improved!

It in regards the 2nd spoiler , it looked like both actors were actually enjoying themselves  which added a great energy to it IMO.

2 minutes ago, lolly said:

It in regards the 2nd spoiler , it looked like both actors were actually enjoying themselves  which added a great energy to it IMO.

They really should've kept Christansen a secret. Would've blown minds.

That was great.

Spoiler

The absolute disrespect Vader shows to Reva. Can't be arsed to pull his lightsabre, and when he finally lets her fight on her terms he's just playing with his food. All with her own lightsabres, never igniting his own

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Holy shit that was fast. Makes me wonder wth disney were playing at.

Hide contents

At 40 years old I once snuck into a teenager social club (for a legitimate structural engineering reason that had nothing to do with the presence of actual kids) and security was on to me in a heartbeat.

I was thinking of that the entire time in those scenes.

That video Is the only way to get a job in ILM these days.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

A lot of people guessed the twist right away. I think it's mentioned that the inquisitors are reconditioned younglings and it's easy to put two and two together.

We saw the Grand Inquisitor get sabred in the belly but we know from Fennec Shand that things like that are easily fixed.

I don't think Vader saw the message unless they're really throwing continuity to the wind. Obi Wan is just sensing that there's a loose end that he's missed and presumably the last ep will be Reva looking for revenge against him for stitching her up (belly wounds being fully survivable, etc) by going after Luke herself.

7 hours ago, Phantoon said:

That was great.

Hide contents

The absolute disrespect Vader shows to Reva. Can't be arsed to pull his lightsabre, and when he finally lets her fight on her terms he's just playing with his food. All with her own lightsabres, never igniting his own

Spoiler

I liked that Vadar was doing his best Micheal Keaton Batman impression as well 

9 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Holy shit that was fast. Makes me wonder wth disney were playing at.

Hide contents

That doesn’t look better to me, it looks a lot more fake & plastic.  It looks like they’ve just run a smoothing pass over it so it looks unnatural.  Don’t get me wrong I think the original could be much better, he looks too old, mainly around the jaw.

7 minutes ago, The Bag said:

That doesn’t look better to me, it looks a lot more fake & plastic.  It looks like they’ve just run a smoothing pass over it so it looks unnatural.  Don’t get me wrong I think the original could be much better, he looks too old, mainly around the jaw.

I mean yeah, of course it looks shit. The point is, this is one guy with a PC, who did it in literal hours...That's £500 quid labour for someone on the payroll, at best. So I dunno, maybe chuck a couple of hundred grand at that and see what happens...

14 hours ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

Liked Vader stopping and ripping apart the transport too.

I didn't like that. It was cool as hell, but The Empire Strikes Back would've been about twenty minutes long.

JPL should spoiler that seeing as the episode came out yesterday, and it is there visible the entire time

4 hours ago, JPL said:
Spoiler

Much better episode, but still full of absolutely weird decisions. For example, weren’t the people who were trying to escape already aboard the ship before Leia opened the doors? They knew time was critical, so why just hang around for no reason? Who was piloting the decoy ship? Were they deemed expendable? And where did the other ship come from? I’ve just watched it again to check and it’s not there when Vader pulls the decoy ship back down.

Other than that though, the rest was decent. It pulled the story strands together well and the action was great.

I still feel the little stupid decisions really harm it though, which is a shame.

Spoiler

Nice to see Vader doing his thing (and some other easy wins) but there is some mind-numbingly bad direction in these shows.

if Vader can do that to a ship why didn’t he do that to the millennium falcon in TESB? 

And the fact they couldn’t be arsed to de-age a clearly middle aged Anakin ……

…..speaks volumes about the care the creators have taken with this show in general. Whether it’s lack of interest or time pressures - it all feels so half arsed and lacklustre to me.

24 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

I didn't like that. It was cool as hell, but The Empire Strikes Back would've been about twenty minutes long.

JPL should spoiler that seeing as the episode came out yesterday, and it is there visible the entire time

Done. Sorry about that!

@Dirty Harry Potter Can you spoiler your post as well?

Yeah, so many things to find fault with in that episode, which was frustrating as it had some great setups. 

Spoiler

The plan for Obi to distract Vader while Reva went for the backstab was pretty sound and you can imagine it going south resulting in an epic fight scene - but when it came to it Obi had done a runner.

Equally, the incredibly dangerous message that concerned father Bail sends Obi should have been as important to protect as Leia, but it wound up left on the cave floor.

I did love the flashback duelling scene - even tho they must have spent the de-ageing budget on the two actors fee.

The bit where Reva and Kenobi have the door chat 

Spoiler

And then at the end of it Reva just slices the door open. Just stupid, really. "I'll stall and buy us some time!" "Oh, it seems Reva could have simply sliced the doors at any time - fuck knows why we bothered setting up the cannon."

But that's nitpickery. The feel of it all hung together much better this week, despite the typical dundering plot points.