IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

I'm enjoying this show a lot - much more than BoBF - but there seem to be a a whole bunch of badly plotted things pop up every episode. Not enough to spoil the show for me, but certainly enough for me to wish they'd done things differently.

Spoiler

As already mentioned, the decoy ship stuff. Given Vader's force powers on show, are we expected to believe that he didn't spot the other ship that was ready for immediate lift off, and couldn't sense that it was full of lives? And the way the second ship was hidden was a cheap trick, akin to those old cliffhanger shows where someone goes over a cliff in a car at the end of an episode, only to be shown leaping to safety at the last minute at the start of the next. Mabe that's what they were going for though? I dunno. On replay, the second ship is visible, but at the same time not really. It could easily just be some generic Star Wars junk of the sort you regularly see in hangars like this. It was not obviuosly a ship until it's seen taking off.

Reva's fate. Whay leave her alive? It's absolute stupidity on the part of Vader and the Grand Inquisitor (reborn) to not kill her. The old Grand Inquisitor even tells her that revenge is a great aid to survival FFS! It makes them look like incompetents.

Again, regarding incompetence, why not - given they have a Star Destroye - send down a squadron of TIE fighters to patrol the area in the event that an escape is attempted. Either Vader has supreme surety of his plans, only to get another "Drat! Foiled again!" experience, or he's extremely confident of eventual success and doesn't really give a shit at how long it takes, or how many times his prey slips through his fingers. It just feels very poorly written and makes this supreme threat look like a fool over and over again.

This last one is perhaps nit-picking from me, but why in the future do they not have encryption of super-sensitive messages. The sort that might get your daughter killed? Even "password123" would have been better than the complete lack of security.

Finally, and this is just a Star Wars thing akin to the lack of safety rails over massive drops, but what is the point of stormtrooper armour? It seemingly does nothing.

There have been things like this every episode, and I wonder why someone in the production hasn't just put their hand up and questioned the sense of having the characters and events behave and play out in these ways?

I know it's pissing in the wind trying to apply logic to this thing, and I am broadly enjoying it, but...

Spoiler

Coming back to the "so what was the plan again?" discussions from last episode, we're going to barricade the base and hope that the empire forgets that it has big anti-barricade guns, but then it turns out they haven't so Ben quickly improvises a plan to team up with Reva, but then she says no and locks the most powerful Jedi general still at large back in the base in the custody of two stormtroopers, so he gets away and leaves a trail to lead Vader to the decoy ship and then makes it on the backup escape ship, which they'd apparently set up in advance in anticipation of this exact sequence of events? 

Also lol at the jeopardy scene where Leia is menaced by the evil robot and just plucks a doodad off it and everything's fine again.

22 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Reveal hidden contents

As already mentioned, the decoy ship stuff. Given Vader's force powers on show, are we expected to believe that he didn't spot the other ship that was ready for immediate lift off, and couldn't sense that it was full of lives? And the way the second ship was hidden was a cheap trick, akin to those old cliffhanger shows where someone goes over a cliff in a car at the end of an episode, only to be shown leaping to safety at the last minute at the start of the next. Mabe that's what they were going for though? I dunno. On replay, the second ship is visible, but at the same time not really. It could easily just be some generic Star Wars junk of the sort you regularly see in hangars like this. It was not obviuosly a ship until it's seen taking off.

Revas fate. Whay leave her alive? It's absolute stupidity on the part of Vader and the Grand Inquisitor (reborn) to not kill her. The old Grand Inquisitor even tells her that revenge is a great aid to survival FFS! It makes them look like incompetents.

Again, regarding incompetence, why not - given they have a Star Destroyer, send down a squadron of TIE fighters to patrol the area in the event that an escape is attempted. Either Vader has supreme confidence in his plans only to get another "Drat! Foiled again!" experience, or he's supremely confident in eventual success and doesn't really give a shit at how long it takes. It's just feels very poorly written and makes this supreme threat look like a fool over and over again.

This last one is perhaps nit-picking from me, but why in the future do they not have encryption of super-sensitive messages. The sort that might get your daughter killed? Even "password123" would have been better than the complete lack of security.

Finally, and this is just a Star Wars thing akin to the lack of safety rails over massive drops, but what is the point of stormtrooper armour? It seemingly does nothing.

There have been things like this every episode, and I wonder why someone in the production hasn't just put their hand up and questioned the sense of having the characters and events behave and play out in these ways?

Because it now feels lazy, rushed and (relatively) cheap. They've done great Star Wars on TV with Mandalorian. Perhaps they just need to tell new stories with new characters as the focus and leave the other stuff in the background or on the periphery.

One thing I noticed was how did Obi Wan know

Spoiler

The 3rd sister had been promoted? He referred to her as the grand inquisitor or whatever to the other rebels when she was the other side of the door. Unless the Empire sends out a daily promotions etc email

About Darth Vader

Spoiler

I thought the fight was great but wasn't expecting the moving slightly and avoiding hits like in martial arts films. Very much enjoyed the force usage

The flashback fight (aside from the half-arsed de-ageing) was great. The Vader fight was mostly well choreographed too (though the set up to it was stupid).

Literally everything else in the episode was shite. Every plot point was stupid and illogical, every character decision was cretinous, and it all looked cheap as fuck.

Every good show starts with great writing, and the five scripts we’ve endured so far have felt like first-draft efforts.

I really don’t even care whether new stuff takes a big steamer on established Star Wars canon, I just want something that offers escapist fun while not simultaneously taking the ever-loving piss out of my intelligence.

Based on its stellar potential, this is by far the worst of all the recent SW/Marvel D+ shows.

What a fucking waste. 

47 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The bit where Reva and Kenobi have the door chat

That was brilliant. I’ll just stand here and tell Obi my plan while 100 stormtroopers are stood within earshot.

42 minutes ago, Exidor said:

I know it's pissing in the wind trying to apply logic to this thing, and I am broadly enjoying it, but...

Hide contents

Coming back to the "so what was the plan again?" discussions from last episode, we're going to barricade the base and hope that the empire forgets that it has big anti-barricade guns, but then it turns out they haven't so Ben quickly improvises a plan to team up with Reva, but then she says no and locks the most powerful Jedi general still at large back in the base in the custody of two stormtroopers, so he gets away and leaves a trail to lead Vader to the decoy ship and then makes it on the backup escape ship, which they'd apparently set up in advance in anticipation of this exact sequence of events? 

Also lol at the jeopardy scene where Leia is menaced by the evil robot and just plucks a doodad off it and everything's fine again.

Spoiler

"Ah, here's your problem, this thing's set to evil"

1 minute ago, JPL said:

That was brilliant. I’ll just stand here and tell Obi my plan while 100 stormtroopers are stood within earshot.

As good as Tala the other week talking Ben through how she was getting him into the secret underwater base while in clear ear-shot of the Imperials sat at the same table, eyeing her suspiciously.

And then him having his speaker set to loud while sneaking around, despite clearly having in-ear comms for the swimming bit in the previous fucking scene.

And you can do that in every other scene in every episode. Honestly surprised that so many are prepared to look so far past it to find the wee nuggets of good stuff.

5 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I think that if you aren't enjoying this… then you probably won't enjoy anything in the saga.

Well that’s certainly a take.

5 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'm quite surprised that so many people watch every episode despite the fact they think it's shite. 

It’s the (A New) Hope that kills you.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

The weekly cycle running like clockwork this week.

Episode airs: that was awesome!  Loved it!

A few hours later: <insert theory on expanded universe and consequences here>

Next day: every line and every shot analysed in explicit detail, to a degree that would make the Depp/Heard case appear rushed

Star Wars has ALWAYS had these plot holes, right from the OT through to the present day.  Always.  From Storm Troopers not spending a few minutes opening a locked door, to imperials not being arsed to shoot the escape pod containing 2 droids and the Death Star plans etc etc.  I think that if you aren't enjoying this (which is fine, btw - each to their own), then you probably won't enjoy anything in the saga.

I think the OT stuff is done with a lot more skill and craft, so you don't stop to question obvious holes. Your attention is elsewhere.

This is so inept at diverting your attention - it highlights how poor a lot of the creative decisions actually are.

1 minute ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

This is so inept at diverting your attention - it highlights how poor a lot of the creative decisions actually are.

"This door is locked - move on to the next one."

Yeah, I'm sure if this was released in 2022, it wouldn't be ridiculed to fuck :lol:

I agree with all the problems and positives mentioned here, but still really enjoy it.

I like the idea the story it's telling as a whole, but this doesn't have enough material to stretch for 6 episodes. I really whish they had done a ~2 hour minute proper Star Wars movie. So they wouldn't rush the script and fill it with ridiculous contrivances, and had a proper budget to setup proper set pieces. :(

I like this show. Then I read this thread and am reminded of the dozen or so things which, in hindsight, are obviously wrong with each episode, and I end up thinking, 'Yeah, it's a load of old bobbins, really'.

Maybe I just shouldn't read the thread.

One thing which was extra dark about this episode....

Spoiler

Kenobi going out unarmed saying that there are other ways that don't require weapons. You expect some sort of light side Bioware style talking it out.

Instead what we get is Kenobi essentially telling Reva to give in to her dark side, feeding her hunger for vengeance to straight up move forward her desire to murder Vader in cold blood.

Not sure how that isn't skirting along the edge of the dark side there, he's got a smooth voice and some nice lines but essentially it's a variation on the Emperor's goading in ROTJ to Luke.

Does anybody else think that Disney are absolutely scared shitless of doing something that properly moves Star Wars forward? I mean, I don't mind these series' which tell tales from what is effectively history, but there's got to be a time when someone with guts stands up and just presents something completely new and tell a tell of a long time ago, but just not as long ago as we seem to get all the bloody time.

I dunno, maybe it would be absolute bollocks, but honestly I'd really like to see something a bit different now. 

I've found the Obi-Wan series has got a bit better throughout the run, and I'm certainly sticking it out to see what happens, but at the end of the day everyone in it has had their time in the sun (suns/moons/death stars...whatever). Let's push on and do something else.

By all means keep a lightsabre or two. Keep some nifty familiar sound-effects and some vaguely similar old droids if you must, but tell me a tale about a new bad person, and a new good person and other stuff.

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Does anybody else think that Disney are absolutely scared shitless of doing something that properly moves Star Wars forward? I mean, I don't mind these series' which tell tales from what is effectively history, but there's got to be a time when someone with guts stands up and just presents something completely new and tell a tell of a long time ago, but just not as long ago as we seem to get all the bloody time.

I dunno, maybe it would be absolute bollocks, but honestly I'd really like to see something a bit different now. 

I've found the Obi-Wan series has got a bit better throughout the run, and I'm certainly sticking it out to see what happens, but at the end of the day everyone in it has had their time in the sun (suns/moons/death stars...whatever). Let's push on and do something else.

By all means keep a lightsabre or two. Keep some nifty familiar sound-effects and some vaguely similar old droids if you must, but tell me a tale about a new bad person, and a new good person and other stuff.

The Acolyte series coming next year (I think), is set 100 years prior to The Phantom Menace so that should be pretty ‘new’. I think Yoda ought to be the only character with a potential appearance. 

Missus Gerbik insists on watching this all the way through because we've come so far. Fair enough that a lot of people seem to be enjoying it. But man, the writing in this is absolutely horrendous and most of the digital backgrounds look like an early PS4 game. The latter thing is probably budget related but why is the writing so bad? Watching this back to back with Md. Marvel and that accentuates its shortcomings even more. 

Fwiw I thought the Mandalorian was great. Why can't *those* writers write some more Star Wars? 

51 minutes ago, superfunk said:

The Acolyte series coming next year (I think), is set 100 years prior to The Phantom Menace so that should be pretty ‘new’. I think Yoda ought to be the only character with a potential appearance. 

And all the anticipation and speculation about it will be centred around Yoda showing up.

There was some good stuff in that. I liked the flashback and the fight at the end. Some cool uses of force power too. The plot is still absolute shite, and there’s a lot of time where it feels like nothing is happening.

Spoiler

How could it possibly have taken that long for Leia to find the droid and plug a single thing in? Like just put the scene where she decides to go into the vent slightly later. 

Everyone is so fucking dumb, and they all do stupid stuff all the time. Everything feels like they’ve all already read the script so they know where to go next and don’t apply any basic human logic to any of their actions.

On 15/06/2022 at 22:07, revol said:

I just said something stupid but then thought 'hmm' to the missus. Bit spolier-y after EP-V.

Hide contents

I'd genuinely be interested in an 'Anakin' series, just seeing him in proper training, being taught the ways. Build that relationship up a bit. Rectify the prequels. Even with a few more wrinkles on Hayden. #bringbacknegs

Isn’t that just the clone wars series? 

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Star Wars has ALWAYS had these plot holes, right from the OT through to the present day.  Always.  From Storm Troopers not spending a few minutes opening a locked door, to imperials not being arsed to shoot the escape pod containing 2 droids and the Death Star plans etc etc.  I think that if you aren't enjoying this (which is fine, btw - each to their own), then you probably won't enjoy anything in the saga.

The idea that someone could take this slightly smug position on lecturing other people in how to like Star Wars at the same time as comparing this cheap looking, poorly written trash to the OT is utterly insane. In case anyone else is wondering if they’re misremembering, the Obi-Wan series in fact has substantially worse writing than the OT. 

I enjoyed that episode but there are some weird story points...like wasn't the whole reason all those people where there because there was *only* one ship?

Did I miss something?

I don't mind it at all. Find it a bit more enjoyable that Mandalorian/Boba Fett because I like stuff that ties into the core Star Wars lore more, I guess. It's pretty cool seeing Vader and Obi Wan going at it again after all this time. And getting to find out why Leia thought Obi Wan was her only hope.  It's kind of thrown my understanding of what went down between TPM and ANH up in the air though, as I'd always assumed Ben just quietly sat on Tatooine watching Luke from a distance. 

Come to think of it Leia's line about "years ago you served my father in the clone wars" or whatever seems a bit strange now, as wouldn't she have said "years ago you rescued me when I got kidnapped by a crazy evil Jedi bitch"?

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Missus Gerbik insists on watching this all the way through because we've come so far. Fair enough that a lot of people seem to be enjoying it. But man, the writing in this is absolutely horrendous and most of the digital backgrounds look like an early PS4 game. The latter thing is probably budget related but why is the writing so bad? Watching this back to back with Md. Marvel and that accentuates its shortcomings even more. 

Fwiw I thought the Mandalorian was great. Why can't *those* writers write some more Star Wars? 

Well at this point I have binned Deborah Chow and John Favreau into the bin. Filoni is still going strong, as is Waititi. Howard and Fukuyama I'll be keeping a very close eye on.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Come to think of it Leia's line about "years ago you served my father in the clone wars" or whatever seems a bit strange now, as wouldn't she have said "years ago you rescued me when I got kidnapped by a crazy evil Jedi bitch"?

She was probably being deliberately ambiguous with the coded message though, as at the time Alderan was still part of the Imperial senate and she was supposed to be on a diplomatic mission, so plausible deniability and all that.

Obi Wan show does make more sense of her decision to call her son Ben in the sequels though now, as at the time it seemed odd that he was named after somebody who really mattered to Luke but who she had never met.

I have tried to ignore the plot goofs as much as I can, but couldn’t avoid it this time.

Spoiler

Obi-Wan goes out with his hands up and no weapon to be captured by the inquisitor and her squadron of stormtroopers. They have a little private chat as if nobody’s watching, OK fine.

The scene cuts away to something else, and when we go back to the base it’s the moment Vader arrives. Where’s Obi-Wan? Oh he’s gone back inside. WTF? Why?

It’s really quite astonishing the lack of effort that went in on this and Boba Fett. What possible excuse could there be for treating such a valuable IP this way? The sequel trilogy was one thing, but they’re apparently still at it. Are Disney hard-up for resources or something?

also annoying -

Spoiler

Darth Vader has a tractor beam now