Jump to content
IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May


Nimmel
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, probotector said:

Guys, treat these like live action cartoons.

 

They’re dumb, just turn off your brains!

 

But the cartoons haven't been anywhere near as dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They will have taken into account the reception the Solo movie got as well following up on TLJ. 

 

Box office of over a billion for TLJ look decent as a stand alone, but following the positive reception of The Force Awakens and Rogue One most of that box office is already baked in.  The next film Solo then tanked hard and while not brilliant it was no ways as bad as the box office suggests, so some of that has got to be down to widespread disillusionment with TLJ & not just the toxic trolls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Waggo said:

They will have taken into account the reception the Solo movie got as well following up on TLJ. 

 

Box office of over a billion for TLJ look decent as a stand alone, but following the positive reception of The Force Awakens and Rogue One most of that box office is already baked in.  The next film Solo then tanked hard and while not brilliant it was no ways as bad as the box office suggests, so some of that has got to be down to widespread disillusionment with TLJ & not just the toxic trolls.

 

 

 

 

 

 


I always put the failure of Solo down to bad release scheduling (mainly). 
 

Deciding when to release your film is an art form and releasing it so soon after TLJ was a mistake no matter the quality of either. 
 

But let’s not pretend Solo is a 10/10 classic. Solo failed because Solo was just okay and a just okay film so soon after another in the same franchise will always do poorly. Whereas it might get by on goodwill and excitement if it’s been a while and the audience is hungry enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


I always put the failure of Solo down to bad release scheduling (mainly). 
 

Deciding when to release your film is an art form and releasing it so soon after TLJ was a mistake no matter the quality of either. 

 

Solo's my fave of the Disney films. It's a really fun little tale. I don't like the droid in it much, and it's waaaay too dark, but I think it's a decent movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Waggo said:

They will have taken into account the reception the Solo movie got as well following up on TLJ. 

 

Box office of over a billion for TLJ look decent as a stand alone, but following the positive reception of The Force Awakens and Rogue One most of that box office is already baked in.  The next film Solo then tanked hard and while not brilliant it was no ways as bad as the box office suggests, so some of that has got to be down to widespread disillusionment with TLJ & not just the toxic trolls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's an entirely inconsequential film which fills on a lot of lore we didn't need to see (look, this where Han got his desk lamp level stuff) and replaces Han's actor with another one, who's somewhat less iconic

 

It's a fun film, but I wouldn't be distraught if I never saw it again. The figures were back up for the Rise of Skywalker, so the joke is firmly on those who sat out Solo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

Solo's my fave of the Disney films. It's a really fun little tale. I don't like the droid in it much, and it's waaaay too dark, but I think it's a decent movie.


Sure but it wasn’t the general consensus, the reviews were Luke (Skywalker) warm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

It's an entirely inconsequential film which fills on a lot of lore we didn't need to see (look, this where Han got his desk lamp level stuff) and replaces Han's actor with another one, who's somewhat less iconic

 

It's a fun film, but I wouldn't be distraught if I never saw it again. The figures were back up for the Rise of Skywalker, so the joke is firmly on those who sat out Solo

 

Oh, it's absolutely inconsequential and never needed to be made but I guess if Disney are determined to go the route of bunging polyfilla in all the little gaps between the movies, then I'll take this rather than Rogue One, which I honestly thought was fucking awful :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


I always put the failure of Solo down to bad release scheduling (mainly). 
 

Deciding when to release your film is an art form and releasing it so soon after TLJ was a mistake no matter the quality of either. But let’s not pretend Solo is a 10/10 classic. Solo failed because Solo was just okay and a just okay film so soon after another in the same franchise will always do poorly. Whereas it might get by on goodwill and excitement if it’s been a while and the audience is hungry enough. 

 

It should have been kept until December 2018. It even has the wintery feel of the train chase sequence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/06/2022 at 19:35, Steven said:

 

Don't worry, he won't be able to get a blast door open by Episode IV or simply pull back/knacker the blockade runner at the end of Rogue One. Probably mid-life force droop or something.

 

I'm still going with my new head cannon that Vader is incredibly dangerous in short bursts but runs out of energy really quickly, which is why he didn't just

 

Spoiler

pluck that second ship out of the sky.

 

 

There seems to be a real skill at pleasing loads of the audience here too. Whether you feel that Vader is an overpowered beast or a heavily wounded and angry young man in constant pain lashing out killing people with his tantrums there's room enough here for both interpretations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2022 at 09:29, monkeydog said:

 

She directed on The Mandalorian. Virtual stages aren't new to her.  I can't remember which episode she did. It would be interesting to look back and see if it's a similar mix of some good character bits and bizarre action.

 

On 14/06/2022 at 09:44, Jammy said:


She did episode 3 and 7. The action was pretty good in those iirc.

 

Context: I said Unreal sets were foisted on Deborah Chow. 

 

Yep, I dont mean it was new to her, more that Mando is episodic and has guest directors, whereas Obi-Wan is a limited series with one story arc. It's basically an extended movie, and limiting that to the virtual set approach has held it (and Chow) back quite a lot, I feel. 

 

Anyway, the action in episode 5 was masterful. Vader demonstrating his superiority is always fascinating. Still lots of script problems (two ships!) but I'm enjoying it as a non-canon addition to my head canon :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know episode 5 is where this is supposed to get good but I have finished episode 4 and the whole series has been a yawnfest so far. Overwrought music, slow plot, dull as dishwater characters, its the antithesis of why Mandalorian, which I just binged, is so good. Ewan McGregor is fine but he's not being given much to work with. Its just lacking heart or memorable moments. Hopefully episode 5 will redeem it but I'm not hopeful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Treble said:

 

 

Context: I said Unreal sets were foisted on Deborah Chow. 

 

Yep, I dont mean it was new to her, more that Mando is episodic and has guest directors, whereas Obi-Wan is a limited series with one story arc. It's basically an extended movie, and limiting that to the virtual set approach has held it (and Chow) back quite a lot, I feel. 

 

Anyway, the action in episode 5 was masterful. Vader demonstrating his superiority is always fascinating. Still lots of script problems (two ships!) but I'm enjoying it as a non-canon addition to my head canon :)


I’ve seen a couple of people in this thread trying to blame the virtual sets. They’re just one of many tools like a green screen and I’m pretty sure they didn’t use them for every shot.

 

What’s more likely to have happened is that having a director trying to do every episode has meant attention to detail has suffered. There’s a reason you pretty much never see the same director do a whole series (in fact I can’t think of any?) Chow has probably been spread too thin here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are talking about Chow like she’s Martin Scorsese & being held back by this new fangled technology. The reality is she’s just a jobber director Disney hired on the cheap, I’m astounded that anyone is expecting anything better than what’s been presented. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are things to like about this, Ewan McGregor for one, but that chase scene with

 

Spoiler

Leia

 

Where most of the actors are doing a weird sort of hop jog to not catch up with her too fast when she's clearly too small to clear much distance was really odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These villains are remarkably nonthreatening. "You kidnapped a child?!"

 

So far my overriding feeling about this is it doesn't really feel like a story that needed telling. And that's permeating through from the fact there aren't any sense of stakes to anything because there are none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Benny said:

There are things to like about this, Ewan McGregor for one, but that chase scene with

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Leia

 

Where most of the actors are doing a weird sort of hop jog to not catch up with her too fast when she's clearly too small to clear much distance was really odd.

Mad, none of us had noticed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erm, what was all that Inquisitor's admittedly impressive free running in aid of? She never caught up to them or ended up part of that shootout scene that was going on. It was cut as though she was in pursuit over the rooftops and was going to get to them. Moments later she's just, gone, forgotten about until she finishes her little workout and turns up in a subsequent scene.

 

Baffling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Episode 2:

 

Spoiler

An awful lot of nothing to be honest. They skimped on any kind of confrontation in the end, but that kind of is necessarily seeing as Obi-Wan is old and fearful and probably would got his ass whooped. The only bit of the episode that raised the pulse slightly was Ewan McGregor's performance when he finds out Anakin is alive. Then of course a Darth Vader reveal because you gotta get those middle aged fans who whooped in the cinema when Darth Vader killed a load of people in Rogue One staying subbed to Disney plus.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.