IGNORED

John Carmack on the Joe Rogan Experience

MansizeRooster

20 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Christ, I wish I hadn't started this thread.

I'm glad you did or i'd have missed it otherwise. This is gaming discussion, not political discussion, for those inclined, go and fuck off and shit up those threads instead.

34 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Christ, I wish I hadn't started this thread.

Anyway, Carmack was excellent in this, as he always is. A true genius, and you get the impression that he's a lovely guy.

I'm genuinely really sorry for the derail. Carmack is an odd guy - Masters of Doom portrays him as being quite a difficult person, who was pretty ruthless in terms of breaking the rules and in terms of cutting people loose if he thinks they're not contributing. And this was a book he signed off on!

6 minutes ago, K said:

pretty ruthless in terms of breaking the rules and in terms of cutting people loose if he thinks they're not contributing.

In most cases that's how you build a successful business, unfortunately for some.

My main experience of Joe Rogan is sitting in a long business lunch with folks from a big evil tech company a couple of years ago while their salesperson told us that they wanted to go on holiday to Virginia, kill a deer with a crossbow, cook it and eat it having been inspired by listening to his podcast.

Carmack is a fascinating character. Having such a concentration of power in a small company must have been weird, and as I understand it left him very isolated. It will be interesting to see how the dramatisation of Masters of Doom portrays him (and Romero and rest of the old school id people). His Quakecon/Oculus...Con(? whatever it's called) talks are well worth tracking down if you're into really crazily cutting edge graphics and engineering research.

I listened to the Gavin McInnes podcast where he was introduced as one of the guys who started VICE, which I'm aware of as a left leaning news youtube channel that grew exponentially and featured hard hitting social documentaries around the world and skateboarding stuff. By the end of the podcast it was hard to not think Gavin McInnes was a complete arsehole. 

Back to Carmack - fascinating conversation covering a myriad of topics and genuinely great to hear a long form interview with someone who can speak in optimistic factual terms in these days of lies and self serving bullshit.

Hey folks, as this thread has inspired a lot of discussion which more broadly covers Joe Rogan, his podcast and the merits of his approach, we have understandably received a request to split this topic. I think that's a fair request in this instance, so I have created a specific thread in Off Topic where you can properly get into the subject:

For those who want to carry on discussing the John Carmack interview, then please continue to do so in this thread. Cheers.

5 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Great. Could you copy my posts over into that thread on my behalf? Appreciated, and apologies for any derailment.

(I've half done this, but it's a bit cack-handed)

I don't think that functionality exists, at least not from the controls I have access to, the only other options would be a merge but then everything gets merged, which would leave this topic empty, which didn't seem right. I think this is the best I could manage!

Edit: Ah, it seems another mod has had a go!

:lol:

Spoiler

John talking about the limits of microchip manufacture due to quantum effects.

Joe: "...it's so hard for a dummy like me to wrap my head around that, but these wires, it's size dependant - when they become too small, this quantum tunnelling becomes completely unpredictable. Is that what it is?" (Not a bad effort I thought.)

John: "So, if you draw out a probability density function..."

To be fair, he immediately catches himself and adjusts the explanation, but I spat my drink.