IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Once we get to Captain America there is one wobble in the plotting around him being a "chorus girl" which made absolutely no sense whatsoever, the usage of him was ridiculous and I saw no motive for the govt to do it that made any sort of sense.

It does make sense: the government/military want to show him off as an example of America's advanced science, but they don't want to risk sending him into battle because their only super soldier being captured or killed would be terrible for propaganda.

IMO it was a stroke of genius for the film to present him as an example of propaganda in-universe, just as the comic was in real life. People unfamiliar with the comics' character saw the movie's title, and assumed  it would be a load of "the US is the greatest country in the world woo yeah!" jingoism; like Team America: World Police but without the irony. (As you say, it sounds like "boys own adventure comics".) So the filmmakers embraced that by putting in that musical sequence to illustrate how people think Cap is, and contrasting that with the way that Steve is uncomfortable with being used like that, showing that the character is not like that at all.

IMO that song montage is the best bit of the film. :wub:

28 minutes ago, Nick R said:

It does make sense: the government/military want to show him off as an example of America's advanced science, but they don't want to risk sending him into battle because their only super soldier being captured or killed would be terrible for propaganda.

IMO it was a stroke of genius for the film to present him as an example of propaganda in-universe, just as the comic was in real life. People unfamiliar with the comics' character saw the movie's title, and assumed  it would be a load of "the US is the greatest country in the world woo yeah!" jingoism; like Team America: World Police but without the irony. (As you say, it sounds like "boys own adventure comics".) So the filmmakers embraced that by putting in that musical sequence to illustrate how people think Cap is, and contrasting that with the way that Steve is uncomfortable with being used like that, showing that the character is not like that at all.

IMO that song montage is the best bit of the film. :wub:

hmmmm I appreciate the explanation and can see that perspective but it doesn't work dramatically for me within the film. When given the options of 1) help with war effort 2) study in lab to try and make more super soldiers or 3) chorus girl to rally troops I just struggle to see why they'd go with option 3 or indeed might not come up with other options.

There are plenty of successes in terms of skewering jingoism in the film.. The later action sequences for the "cap's team" team do remind me of newsreel propaganda and earlier scenes remind me of some of the jingoism in Starship Troopers' recruiting/training scenes - so I can see that side of things in this but that one sequence strikes a slightly bum note that is all.

As I say it's a minor point as it is a great film

The Sound of Metal

Riz Ahmed isn't in a metal band but he goes deaf. Really good performance and a thoughtful meditation on disability. 

4/5

The Kid Detective

Another thoughtful movie, this one about the weight of expectation and it's affect on your relationships. 

4/5

The Devil All The Time (Netflix)

Im really not sure how this one passed me by. A beautifully told story about religion and evil and how they intertwine. Some excellent performances from the current Spiderman and the to-be Batman.

4.5/10

The Trial of the Chicago Seven (Netflix)

A number of different political groups descend on Chicago to peacefully protest about the Vietnam war, resulting in violent clashes with the police. The film, which is based on a true story, covers the trial, also using flashbacks to cover the actual events in question. This was really quite good, and contains a surprisingly good performance by Ali G as a vocal, opinionated peace loving hippy (one of the accused). 

4/5

Catching up with things I watched over the last month or so...

Throne of Blood (1957) - 4/5

It's Kurosawa's Macbeth adaptation, it's great, and the making of story behind Toshiro Mifune's participation in the arrow-bombardment climax sounds like one of the most terrifying stunts you'll ever hear of a movie star doing on film.

And the scenes with the spirit (the film's equivalent of Shakespeare's witches) are genuinely quite spooky!

Also, I highly recommend the audio commentary by Michael Jeck (originally recorded for the Criterion edition, I think). It's on YouTube if you don't have a copy that includes it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8i9q2KyoVY

The Brothers Bloom (2008) - 3/5

I think I normally have a reasonable tolerance for things described as "precious", "whimsical", and "quirky". (I mean, I'm a Neil Gaiman fan.) But there were some moments when Rian Johnson's tale of con men tested my patience - it was a relief that the rhyming narration didn't go beyond the prologue. Fortunately I liked the plot and central character relationship enough to enjoy the film overall.

Maverick (1994) - 3.5/5

Another film with twists and hidden agendas layered upon each other. I think I last saw this about 20 years ago, and I was pleased to find that I still enjoyed this really entertaining bit of lighthearted fluff!

There are moments in Randy Newman's score that sounded very similar to the cowboy bits of Toy Story - I wonder if this was the film that earned him the Pixar job?

Warrior King (aka Tom-Yum-Goong, aka The Protector, aka the film that Tony Jaa made after Ong-Bak but before Ong-Bak 2) (2005) - 4/5

iw0EDM3.jpg

If the most dangerous activity in all action movies is killing John Wick's dog, then the second-most-dangerous activity must not be far behind: stealing Tony Jaa's elephants. This becomes clear about twenty minutes into the movie, when a flying knee signals the start of the first proper action scene. 

The long one-shot staircase fight scene is the most famous thing about this movie, and it certainly is spectacular: a feat of choreographic coordination that's every bit as impressive as the single-shot shootout in Hard-Boiled. But all the other action scenes have much to recommend them too.

What is cooler than running up a wall and flipping over the head of an attacker? Running up a glass window and flipping over the head of an attacker on a quad bike, who then drives through said window.

Even the CGI animated dream battle in the middle of the film conveys some impactful hits!

Yes, my high rating is purely for how much fun I had watching the action scenes; it certainly isn't for the quality of the surrounding storytelling or acting. But having said that, Jaa's character's single-minded focus on rescuing his elephants, oblivious to the betrayals and power grabs going on among the gangsters, is hilarious. And animal welfare is certainly a novel (and relatable) motivation for bringing down the criminal underworld!

Three Hitchcock films get their own post!

Dial M For Murder (1954) - 4/5

This was the first Hitchcock film I ever saw, about 20 years ago, and this is the first time I've rewatched it since then. (I'd completely forgotten that it's not just a case of catching the murderer, but also of clearing the falsely accused heroine's name.)

It's almost like a heist movie, in the way that the details of the plan are meticulously explained to both characters and audience in advance - before that gives way to the need to improvise around things going wrong. Obstacles like the stopped wristwatch made me *want* the criminals to get away with it, even though what they plan to do is horrible.

Some of the logic leading up to the resolution is perhaps a bit too convoluted, but I love a good puzzle box story where everything connects together, and this is a great example of that.

To Catch A Thief (1955) - 3/5

I've seen this before, but remembered very little of it apart from the scene of Cary Grant and Grace Kelly parked on the road overlooking the French coast. 

It's not as suspenseful or interesting as its premise suggests, but it looks very nice; its VistaVision cinematography won an Oscar. John Williams, who played the detective from Dial M For Murder, turns up again, and is amusing.

This has one of the funniest Hitchcock cameos - even though all he's doing is just sitting there.

North By Northwest (1959) - 4.5/5

It seems that Hitchcock's most-praised films tend to be the psychologically sophisticated ones that give critics a lot of fascinating meat to chew on (e.g. Vertigo, Rear Window, Notorious, Rebecca). But I confess that my favourite is probably this rollicking spy adventure/mistaken identity yarn.

Shadow In the Cloud 0/5

This is probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen.  Remeber the speech that Mr Fluterman gives Billy in gremlins about his time WW2 and how gremlins would get onto the planes.....well that is the plot of this movie.  Going into some MAJOR spoliers next as there is no other way to be abale to express how bad this movie is.

Spoiler

The movie ignores its own logic alot of time.  The main character played by Chloë Grace Moretz starts the movie with her arm broken/or bady hurt - but its in a sling - half way through the movie they just totally forget that as she able to scale the underbelly of a B17, upside down while in midair flight, like she is spiderman crawling along the hull (with no foot holds!!) it looks like the old climbing up the wall manouvre that batman and robin did in the tv show

one of the main characters is ripped from his gun turrent, and witnessed by the crew (we dont see this as over half the movie Chloë Grace Moretz is trapped in the under belly gun and we never leave her, we just hear over the radio what is happening.)  Remebering this is a b17 so very cramped inside and nowhere to hide.  This character who was ripped from his gun chair by the "gremlin"  - reappears near the end just out of thin air.

There is even a moment that out does indianna jones being saved by a fridge from a nuke.  Chloë Grace Moretz gets knocked out of B17 bomber and as she falling through the air a japanese fighter explodes below her, this magically send her flying back up like superman into the B17!

I havent even touched on how the movie at every turn forces down the viewers throat that men are bad woment are good, even the final shot which i wont spoil incase someone wants to watch this, had my wife laughing out loud because it was suposed to be somehow a shot of women empowerment - actually feck it,  the movie is so bad it actually ends with Chloë Grace Moretz sitting on a rock breast feeding a baby while the remaining men looking in it awe, this is just after she beats to death the gremlin with her bare hands (the same hands / arm that was broken at the start of the movie) 

Then there is the style its shot like some cheesey 80's movie including synth score, and as ive said through the movie the men of the B17 crew are portrayed as sleezy, racist, rapey/ sexist scum, come the credits we get this rip of top gun credits where a cheesey song plays and each character gets that turn to the camera and smile / laugh kinda portrait thing - going against the previous 1 hour and 30 mins of how summy these men are.

And here's my third and final consecutive Christmas catch-up post! (Or it would be consecutive if @papalazarou hadn't done a c-c-c-combo breaker in between. :hmm:)

DreamWorks

Aside from the HTTYD/Kung-Fu Panda films, DreamWorks' output is a pretty big blind spot for me (I was put off by "Dreamworks face" and other aspects of their reputation). But I thought I should fill in a few blanks...

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) - 3/5

When I saw this years ago, I wasn't too impressed, but over the years I've seen several people praising it as possibly DreamWorks' best film. On rewatching, I'm afraid I stick by my original opinion: it's decent enough, but I'd still put the first KFP and the three HTTYD movies ahead of it.

The Croods (2013) - 2.5/5

The only reason I've ever had the slightest interest in watching this was because of the involvement of Chris Sanders (Lilo & Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon). Everything else about it put me off; in particular, the title suggested an emphasis on gross-out gags.

The film turned out to be a bit more heartfelt than I was expecting, but it was disappointing that the focus switches from Eep to her dad about halfway through the film. Really, the story and characters are far less interesting than the visuals: you can see Sanders' wide-mouthed style in some of the creature designs, and I liked the animalistic motions given to some of the human characters like Eep and the baby.

After watching the film, I found out that it originated when Aardman were still with DreamWorks, and that Aardman's subsequent independent development of their own caveman film led to Early Man (2018): easily Nick Park's weakest film, but probably better than this.

Bee Movie (2007) - Bejesus (Bee-Jesus)(Wi-fi)(of Bel Air) out of 5

The Bee Movie but I'm afraid I can't rate it as I'm not sure how many layers of Internet meme-irony we're up to now.

Megamind (2010) - 3/5

A pleasant surprise! As a superhero/villain deconstruction, at time it comes across sorta like a kid-friendly Venture Brothers, or Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. (Complete with an incel villain!) Some ugly human character designs, though not as offputting as the humans in Bee Movie. Nice action scenes; lots of whooshing through city streets.

How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World (2019) - 3.5/5

My opinion hasn't changed much since I saw this at the cinema. The villain is introduced as being a threat who is constantly one step ahead, manipulating his enemies into the precise position he wants them, so that the film seems to be setting up a relentless cat-and-mouse pursuit, giving no respite for our heroes. But then the film takes the much less interesting direction of having the bad guy stay put, apparently unsure of the heroes' location. It does subsequently find other ways to raise the stakes, but it's not as interesting a storyline as it initially seemed.

The presence of the comic relief supporting teenage characters was toned down in the second film, but here they're much more prominent (it's vitally important to the plot that Kristen Wiig's idiotic bickering twin character gets a lot to say). Few of the dialogue jokes are very funny; the genuinely funny gags come mostly from moments of silent animation.

Fortunately, the "boy and his pet" relationship at the heart of the whole series is still excellent, and remains the main reason all three films are worth watching.

However, on this home viewing the ending had less emotional impact than it did in the cinema, because this time I already knew about the existence of...

How to Train Your Dragon: Homecoming (2019) - 2.5/5

Made-for-TV Christmas short, skewing toward a younger audience than the films. It does its best to try and fit into the gaps around The Hidden World's ending without actively contradicting or undermining it... unfortunately, it doesn't really succeed. Cute little baby dragons though!

Also watched a lot of Disney/Pixar stuff on TV over Xmas... it's good to know that the existence of Disney+ hasn't put an end to their TV broadcasts:

Zootopia (2016) - 4.5/5

The best CG Disney movie. (Search your feelings, you know it to be true.) Plenty of people have picked flaws in how dubious the predator/prey allegories are to real-world issues, and it's hard to disagree. But the dialogue is so sharp, and full of smart details that you don't expect to see in a Disney movie - IMO it does that more successfully than Big Hero 6 or the Wreck-It Ralph movies that have tried to be similarly modern and snappy.

Also the character designs are ADORABLE.

Monsters Univerity (2013) - 3.5/5
Finding Dory (2016) - 3.5/5

Pixar's two most unnecessary follow-ups are both still really enjoyable. But although Finding Dory has more immediate pleasures on the surface (no pun intended), I think I'm starting to be persuaded by this argument that Monsters U is a better film, and one that does a better job of justifying its existence: https://jehanimation.tumblr.com/post/149645792888/monsters-university-finding-dory

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 2/5

OK, its designs are overly-busy, and its changes from the 1991 film are pointless, never for the better, and often for the worse. But I didn't actually hate it. It's just a thing that exists. It passed the time. I will never choose to watch this version over the 1991 version. :mellow:

To be honest, the main reason I watched it was because the Serious Disness podcast (co-hosted by the guy from the Tumblr link above!) has been doing a series about all the live-action remakes, and their episode about this one was released yesterday. They do an excellent job of describing the many, many reasons why it's not just worse than the animated film, but also worse than the stage production. (Some of them boil down to: "They tried to introduce solutions to problems that weren't problems in the first place, by trying to give 'realistic' justifications for things that are supposed to run on fairy tale rules.") https://seriousdisness.wigglehe.com/?name=disness_-_batb1.mp3 

36 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 2/5

OK, its designs are overly-busy, and its changes from the 1991 film are pointless, never for the better, and often for the worse. But I didn't actually hate it. It's just a thing that exists. It passed the time. I will never choose to watch this version over the 1991 version. :mellow:

To be honest, the main reason I watched it was because the Serious Disness podcast (co-hosted by the guy from the Tumblr link above!) has been doing a series about all the live-action remakes, and their episode about this one was released yesterday. They do an excellent job of describing the many, many reasons why it's not just worse than the animated film, but also worse than the stage production. (Some of them boil down to: "They tried to introduce solutions to problems that weren't problems in the first place, by trying to give 'realistic' justifications for things that are supposed to run on fairy tale rules.") https://seriousdisness.wigglehe.com/?name=disness_-_batb1.mp3 

Good old Dave "BumL0rd" Bulmer. Always entertaining elastic-faced man from the Alt.digi days. His Alice in Wonderland episode is great.

And yeah, Zootopia is amazing, better, imo, than any Pixar film in years too.

Wonder - wow, what a film this is and while clearly setup as a feel good movie it has a lot to say and generally does a good job of it - it’s a little bit fanciful at times with how everyone comes round but it was great even if some asshat was peeling onions while we watched it...

4.5/5

22 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Shadow In the Cloud 0/5

This is probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen.  Remeber the speech that Mr Fluterman gives Billy in gremlins about his time WW2 and how gremlins would get onto the planes.....well that is the plot of this movie.  Going into some MAJOR spoliers next as there is no other way to be abale to express how bad this movie is.

Hide contents

The movie ignores its own logic alot of time.  The main character played by Chloë Grace Moretz starts the movie with her arm broken/or bady hurt - but its in a sling - half way through the movie they just totally forget that as she able to scale the underbelly of a B17, upside down while in midair flight, like she is spiderman crawling along the hull (with no foot holds!!) it looks like the old climbing up the wall manouvre that batman and robin did in the tv show

one of the main characters is ripped from his gun turrent, and witnessed by the crew (we dont see this as over half the movie Chloë Grace Moretz is trapped in the under belly gun and we never leave her, we just hear over the radio what is happening.)  Remebering this is a b17 so very cramped inside and nowhere to hide.  This character who was ripped from his gun chair by the "gremlin"  - reappears near the end just out of thin air.

There is even a moment that out does indianna jones being saved by a fridge from a nuke.  Chloë Grace Moretz gets knocked out of B17 bomber and as she falling through the air a japanese fighter explodes below her, this magically send her flying back up like superman into the B17!

I havent even touched on how the movie at every turn forces down the viewers throat that men are bad woment are good, even the final shot which i wont spoil incase someone wants to watch this, had my wife laughing out loud because it was suposed to be somehow a shot of women empowerment - actually feck it,  the movie is so bad it actually ends with Chloë Grace Moretz sitting on a rock breast feeding a baby while the remaining men looking in it awe, this is just after she beats to death the gremlin with her bare hands (the same hands / arm that was broken at the start of the movie) 

Then there is the style its shot like some cheesey 80's movie including synth score, and as ive said through the movie the men of the B17 crew are portrayed as sleezy, racist, rapey/ sexist scum, come the credits we get this rip of top gun credits where a cheesey song plays and each character gets that turn to the camera and smile / laugh kinda portrait thing - going against the previous 1 hour and 30 mins of how summy these men are.

This sounds incredible. 

Is it a spoof? Lol

On 30/12/2020 at 12:12, simms said:

I've only played PC VR games via Virtual desktop which has been glorious so far, which has made me retire by Original Vive wireless adapter setup which is clunky by comparison to my Wireless setup Quest 2.  With the Vive I had to carry a battery pack in my pocket and the headset is more heavier and bulkier.  

Anyway, I'll prefer to play PC VR versions of games where possible but what are the standout native Quest only games?

1 hour ago, Ry said:

This sounds incredible. 

Is it a spoof? Lol

i kinda wish it was that way at least you could give some of the outlandish moments a pass under the well they are taking the piss - but the movie tries really hard to be a hard feminist movie (the majority of men characters in the movie are over the top sleezy dity bags)  and also trying hard to make Chloe the new Ellen Ripley (she isnt) while pushing the not very subtle Men = Bad  women = Good and strong

On 02/01/2021 at 19:54, Stigweard said:

Mulan (2020)

Looked nice with some well choreographed fight/battle scenes but thats about it. All in all it was pretty vapid. Also, why have Jet Li in your film and have him do zero fighting? What a waste.

2/5

He looked very ill from hypherthyroidism last time I saw a picture of him a few years back. He was saying he wasent even well enough to exercise. So its likely that he isn't capable of action scenes anymore. Tbh its positive just seeing him acting again as he looked in a very bad way at that point.

MI Ghost Protocol 

An interesting one this. I wish I had left it longer between watching this and 3. GP is a great movie, but feels somewhat familiar and has little originality. Bird directs with aplomb ( I’m also a big fan of his other live action film, Tomorrowland) but the villain simply isn’t in the film enough to feel threatening ( a bit like TWINE) so this isn’t the classic that 1 and 3 are. Still, Patton is excellent ( a shame she didn’t get a big career ) and Pegg really shines. Some great action as some really great cinematography.

3.5/5

Battle Beyond the Stars

Yes, that SW copy from 1980 that was actually not as bad as I remembered. The effects work was actually really good for its age and its a fun romp, if entirely unoriginal. 

3/5

The Beastmaster (1982)

Utter, utter mince.

Which is a crying shame, as Vinegar Syndrome's newly restored 4K release is stunning. STUNNING!

Such love, care and many man-hours put into something, that quite frankly is best left forgotten.

The moral of the story is never return to things you remember loving as a child, as they're probably crap. 

Gets 1 out of 5 purely for the amazing and now sadly dearly departed Tanya Roberts.

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

4/5

A timely and entertainingly told piece of history with some really good performances. Nothing ever changes in the land of the free. Very Sorkin which is largely a good thing I think. 

A Few Good Men (1992)

4/5

Another Sorkin movie but completely by accident. Can’t believe this is 28 years old. Peak Tom Cruise - he really was good at playing the cocky wunderkind. It’s still a good watch and a fantastic pay off with Jack Nicholson’s now legendary Colonel Jessop. 

Dark Waters (2009)

4/5

Get incensed at corporate America knowingly poisoning its citizens and the world. 

Had a good run of movies after some terrible Christmas choices. My 11 year old son really enjoyed these too which was cool. 

Near Dark (1987)

I’d heard many good things about this film, but I was left a little disappointed if I’m being honest.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it, for starters the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is brilliant, it’s just a wonderful mix of synths and drum beats that fit the mood of the film perfectly. It certainly had some great moments and performances too but I felt it was trying to be too mature without really pushing the boundaries and thus came off a little cheesy. The writing is a little tropey, I didn’t particularly buy the love story (especially as Caleb just comes across as a creep to start with) and the way

Spoiler

they cured him seemed to border on the lines of “magic blood”, it was a little absurd.

However, as I’ve said, its not a bad film, there are things to enjoy such as Paxton, Henriksen & Goldstein (Aliens reunion much?), the bar scene, the shootout and the devil may care fuck you attitude of the vampires in contrast to Caleb’s morals about not killing. I also liked how Caleb was made to look like a junkie after he turned. Showing vampirism to be nothing more than a drug with junkies looking for their next fix was a nice touch.

Overall, it feels like a cult classic that maybe had to be watch at the right time to truly love. If I was going to watch one cult classic vampire film from 1987, I’d stick with The Lost Boys.

3/5

18 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

The Beastmaster (1982)

Utter, utter mince.

Which is a crying shame, as Vinegar Syndrome's newly restored 4K release is stunning. STUNNING!

Such love, care and many man-hours put into something, that quite frankly is best left forgotten.

The moral of the story is never return to things you remember loving as a child, as they're probably crap. 

Gets 1 out of 5 purely for the amazing and now sadly dearly departed Tanya Roberts.

Check out Beastmaster 2. It... goes places.