Rate the last film you watched out of 5

52 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Assassin's Creed (2016)

Spectacular looking shit, but shit nonetheless. 

Not even Fassy B. makes it worth watching. 

There also must be two Marion Cotillards.

One's an acclaimed French actress and the other a plank of wood, who does shit like this and The Dark Knight Rises. 

½ out of 5. 

It's one of those films, you can start watching then tune out, flick around the other channels for 10 minutes, come back to, still not give a shit what's going on, flick around some more channels, come back to some sfx heavy sequence which you watch for 20 minutes. Get bored again, flick around a bit more, watch the largely pointless and stupid ending and feel no compunction to see it ever again. 

Truly awful 

Sing

While I wanted to hate the idea of singing animals in a talent show, it was actually quite deep & emotional for Dreamworks. Loved Seth McFarlane as Mike the mouse in full-on Sinatra mode, and Taron Egerton as Johnny the singing gorilla seeking validation from his gang leader dad. There is a great lesson in there about perseverance and facing your fears.

3.5/5

1 hour ago, merman said:

Sing

While I wanted to hate the idea of singing animals in a talent show, it was actually quite deep & emotional for Dreamworks. Loved Seth McFarlane as Mike the mouse in full-on Sinatra mode, and Taron Egerton as Johnny the singing gorilla seeking validation from his gang leader dad. There is a great lesson in there about perseverance and facing your fears.

3.5/5

I'm quite fond of this one. My kids absolutely love it. The Taron Edgerton character/plot was quite moving I felt. 

2 hours ago, merman said:

Sing

While I wanted to hate the idea of singing animals in a talent show, it was actually quite deep & emotional for Dreamworks.

Illumination, not DreamWorks!

Godzilla Vs Kong - 3/5

Lots more, very spoilery, thoughts in the film’s main thread, but I really enjoyed it for what it is: Titans smashing things really, really loudly.

Godzilla, man. I love that big lizard :wub:

Whiplash - 4.5/5

Not watched since it first came out but it’s on Prime and gave it another watch. It’s as good as I remember. Perfect ending too. Damien Chazelle made something special.   I should really check out LaLa Land as I also thought First Man was great. 

20 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

The Dig (2021) 

Started off ok, a little hammy but fine. Descended into a snoozefest soap opera. Some really ridiculous scenes. 80s Saturday afternoon style.

2/5

The Dig

Couldn't agree more. I was really looking forward to this but the writers completely lost interest in Sutton Hoo less than half way through. New characters were suddenly introduced and the underdeveloped soapy Call the Midwife-style drama meandered slowly and risibly to its end. It felt like a new tag team of writers came on board midway to add a 'human' element to spice things up, the reasoning being that an audience couldn't possibly find one of the most important archaeological finds in history dramatic in itself. It was a sludgey mess, really.

2/5

11 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Lost in Translation 5/5

Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson.

Beat scene is in the hospital with Bill as he sits waiting with that funny old man and the two ladies sitting behind who can’t stop laughing. Great film.

I bloody love this film and watch it all too often. It doesn't help that due to Covid, the world is locked down and the one country in world that I'm desperate to go and see more of is Japan.

Hattie (2011)

Dramatisation of the breakdown of the marriage between Hattie Jacques and John Le Mesurier. Whilst there was an acknowledgement in the dialogue that they'd both made mistakes, this interpretation of the story has Le Mesurier being pretty passive despite everything. Not sure if we were meant to feel for him, at least that's how it felt. The story concentrates on the main players and doesn't go much into how the public reacted to the scandal. Ruth Jones and Robert Bathurst were just right for the roles, especially Bathurst. Period details around the main story were good, like the filming of Carry On Cabby. Interesting enough drama but lacked passion somehow.

3/5

Arizona Heat (1988)

It's difficult to decide if this was meant to be a drama trying to highlight prejudice against a lesbian police officer or whether the writers thought it was just an excuse to generate some sparks between the chalk-and-cheese cop pairing as it's so poorly  handled. Michael Parks is your typical womanising, hard-nosed cop who gets paired up with Denise Crosby who is revealed to be lesbian. They're investigating a spate of cop-killings, although frankly it's a rather lacklustre mystery with a very unsurprising conclusion. Nothing you've not seen before, doesn't offer much else.

2/5

I’m watching a bunch of Sion Sono films at the moment as I’ve only recently discovered him. A very strong stomach is required, but he’s one hell of a director.

Guilty Of Romance 4/5

Wouldn’t even know where to begin describing this one. Starts off as a police investigation movie, then things turn very dark/sexy/weird/violent.

Strange Circus 5/5

My favourite so far. Part Oldboy, part Gilliumesque fantasy, but completely Sion Sono.

Going to try Cold Fish, and Why Don’t You Play In Hell next.

15 hours ago, glb said:

Godzilla Vs Kong - 3/5

Lots more, very spoilery, thoughts in the film’s main thread, but I really enjoyed it for what it is: Titans smashing things really, really loudly.

Godzilla, man. I love that big lizard :wub:

Wait, isn't this out in March? 

Oceans Rising (2017)

Oh my god, the seismic magnetic core pressure thingamy is causing mad weather and half the planet is under CGI water, but despite files falling off a table in a really dramatic way people don't believe how bad it is, apart from a scientist who builds a boat. There is literally nothing even remotely good about this eco-drama from The Asylum: abysmal script with nonsensical 'science' and cringe-worthy dialogue, zero-effort acting heavily reliant on mawkish melodrama, effects bad for an Asylum film (and that's saying something). It wasn't a complete waste of time though, I managed tidy the living room up a bit whilst it was on. One of the worst films produced by The Asylum, one of the worst films I've ever seen, with no redeeming features.

0/5

Thief

Can’t believe I’ve only watched this. Michael Mann’s first directorial and you can see the influence on Heat many years later. 

Amazing soundtrack, James Caan, whose acting perfectly, Jim Belushi his partner and a Dennis Farina turns up. 

5/5

19 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

‘Let Him Go’

A modern day Western starring Kevin Costner & Diane Lane as a pair of grandparents looking to rescue their grandson from the evil step-family he’s been married into.

7/10

This sounds right up my street. Cheers!

8 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I’m watching a bunch of Sion Sono films at the moment as I’ve only recently discovered him. A very strong stomach is required, but he’s one hell of a director.

Guilty Of Romance 4/5

Wouldn’t even know where to begin describing this one. Starts off as a police investigation movie, then things turn very dark/sexy/weird/violent.

Strange Circus 5/5

My favourite so far. Part Oldboy, part Gilliumesque fantasy, but completely Sion Sono.

Going to try Cold Fish, and Why Don’t You Play In Hell next.

:D I wish i could watch Why Don't You Play in Hell for the first time again. I could watch Strange Circus fresh again because i've washed my mind of the abuse it inflicted on me.

I actually hated Guilty of Romance, in my list of all the asian films i've ever watched it's at the bottom :lol: even below The Road Home, which is also well loved, but which just grated with me.

I have Himizu as the highest ranked of his films. I was kind of bored half way through but then i realised i cared more about the characters more than I thought, the acting from the lead actor is amazing, the film just captures alienation and depression from a teenage viewpoint in a really raw potent way. Sono just has shambolic sequences where his actors are allowed to be kind of expressionistic and flip out. Lars Von Trier is maybe similar. Sono expresses himself through the medium, it always feels natural.

btw Suicide Club is a must watch!

20 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

:D I wish i could watch Why Don't You Play in Hell for the first time again. I could watch Strange Circus fresh again because i've washed my mind of the abuse it inflicted on me.

I actually hated Guilty of Romance, in my list of all the asian films i've ever watched it's at the bottom :lol: even below The Road Home, which is also well loved, but which just grated with me.

I have Himizu as the highest ranked of his films. I was kind of bored half way through but then i realised i cared more about the characters more than I thought, the acting from the lead actor is amazing, the film just captures alienation and depression from a teenage viewpoint in a really raw potent way. Sono just has shambolic sequences where his actors are allowed to be kind of expressionistic and flip out. Lars Von Trier is maybe similar. Sono expresses himself through the medium, it always feels natural.

btw Suicide Club is a must watch!

Suicide Club is definitely on my list. Will check out Himizu as well, especially as it’s on Amazon. His films are pretty hard to find on streaming. I tend not to pirate much these days, but it’s the only choice with a lot of Asian films.

Dune - extended edition - This is a 3 hour version of the film with Alan Smithee named as director. I've always been a fan of David Lynch's Dune, I loved the production design and the music in particular. However, it was a massively flawed film. If you know nothing about the universe it won't make a lot of sense, the dialogue is laughably bad and the special effects are a joke considering when it was made and the money spent. The biggest problem with it though was it was far too short, in order to maximise its money making potential the producers cut the film to 2 hours.

Just when the film gets going it ends abruptly. The film builds up slowly to Paul consuming the water of life and becoming the Kwisatz Haderach (mythical super being)  and then within a matter of 10 minutes he has defeated all his enemies and become the supreme ruler of Dune. It's akin to the Fellowship being formed in Lord of the Rings and then Frodo chucking the ring into Mount Doom a couple of scenes later. 

i was hoping the 3 hour version would flesh this out. Alas this isn't the case, there's a comic book prologue which explains some of the terms used in the film and gives a bit of the backstory (the original prologue with Virgina Madsen is removed). This lasts about 20 minutes or so. And there's some extra bits with the Fremen. They also saw fit to cut out the bits where the Baron pervs over and murders young men. 

It's interesting if you're a fan but it's inferior to the original shorter version. And the comic book intro just looks cheap. There was supposedly a mythic 4 -5  hour early cut of the film.  But I doubt we'll ever see that.

3/5 

3 hours ago, taurusnipple said:

Thief

Can’t believe I’ve only watched this. Michael Mann’s first directorial and you can see the influence on Heat many years later. 

Amazing soundtrack, James Caan, whose acting perfectly, Jim Belushi his partner and a Dennis Farina turns up. 

5/5

And Tuesday Weld! And Willie Nelson! And Tangerine Dream! :quote:

Hereditary

I thought this was fantastic.  I have a tendency to bounce off the latest big things in 'horror' so I didn't rush to watch it but my word, it's very good.  For the first act I was wondering what the hell it was about, it seemed slow and rote in that modern horror way but then it gets going and just doesn't stop.  Flourishes of Poltergeist, Exorcist and Wicker Man wrapped up as an allegory for mental illness.  I want to go back and watch it again to see all the things I missed in that slow-burn first part as I was zoning out a little bit at times.

I'm loathed to give anything that isn't The Warriors, Cool Hand Luke or Commando 5/5 so it can have 4.5/5.

Oh yeah, also -

The Platform

There was a little bit of buzz around this in the film folder a while back and it's another really good'un.  A high concept film about capitalism and society and all that good stuff, set in a strange prison. Visually arresting, well acted, gory and very uncomfortable to watch at times. 

4/5

Kidulthood

I like a bit of Noel and I like a bit of grimy inner-city London (love Top Boy for example), but this fell way wide of the mark for me.  I understood it to be acclaimed for its gritty realism but it seemed clumsy over the top nonsense for the most part.  It can have a few points for at least tackling some important subjects but yeah, I didn't think this was great. I'll stick People Just Do Nothing on next time I want to see the true face of London.

2.5/5

Another Round
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10288566/

Four friends, all high school teachers, test a theory that they will improve their lives by maintaining a constant level of alcohol in their blood.

This is a Danish film about a group of school teachers who decide that their lives will be improved if they're drunk the whole time. They buy breathalyzers and monitor their blood alcohol level and knock back some booze if it starts to drop below a certain level.

It starts out as a kind of midlife-crisis comedy/drama but turns into something darker as the film goes on. Mads Mikkelsen is very good as a teacher losing his joy for life and living but I started to get a bit tired of his complaining about an hour in. The rest of the cast were fine. 

Hard to know what to make of this. It was entertaining, funny in places and bit sad but it all felt a bit pointless or something. Maybe that was the point.

3.5/5

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Kidulthood

I like a bit of Noel and I like a bit of grimy inner-city London (love Top Boy for example), but this fell way wide of the mark for me.  I understood it to be acclaimed for its gritty realism but it seemed clumsy over the top nonsense for the most part.  It can have a few points for at least tackling some important subjects but yeah, I didn't think this was great. I'll stick People Just Do Nothing on next time I want to see the true face of London.

2.5/5

Have you seen Blue Story?

It veers a bit into corniness in places, and I really hated one particular musical choice, but it clearly comes from a sincere and frustrated place in the writer's heart. It's about two friends growing up around Peckham & Deptford.