Rate the last film you watched out of 5

5 minutes ago, PK said:

Have you seen Blue Story?

It veers a bit into corniness in places, and I really hated one particular musical choice, but it clearly comes from a sincere and frustrated place in the writer's heart. It's about two friends growing up around Peckham & Deptford.

I have not, but I recall the controversy around it at the time.  Thanks for the reminder.  I see it's on NowTV, which I don't currently have.  I'll keep an eye out for it when it inevitably makes it to Prime or Netflix.

On 28/01/2021 at 09:42, Silent Runner said:

In & Of Itself

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11916302/

Storyteller and Conceptual Magician Derek DelGaudio attempts to understand the illusory nature of identity and answer the deceptively simple question 'Who am I?'

I saw this getting good notices so I thought I’d check it out as a change from what I’d normally watch. It’s a recording of a live show – 20% magic show, 80% spoken word/performance art. The magician tells some stories of his life, does some tricks and involves the audience. There’s puppets, close-up magic and some mind-reading bits.

I couldn’t really get into this. I liked the magic bits but the philosophy and introspection bits left me pretty cold. There were one or two tricks I couldn’t work out so I think a ‘proper’ magic show from this guy would be pretty interesting. But this type of performance wasn’t for me.

2/5

watched this last night and wanted to see if anyone else on Rllmuk had seen it. It’s a shame it didn’t click with you because it absolutely blew me away.

I was a bit of a wreck by the end and I can’t stop thinking about it.

For those put off by the idea of watching a 90 minute magic show, don’t be. It’s not about the magic at all. The trick he does to finish the show is incredible really because you start with the usual “how does he do that?” Then move on to theories about how he does it, then for me it hit me that it really doesn’t matter. It’s not about the tricks, it’s about how the audience is reacting and what that means. 

It’s slow, plodding and I have a feeling a lot of people will lose interest quickly. But if it does manage to click with you then it’ll hit you like a ton of bricks.

Definitely give it a go.

Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society

You absolutely know exactly what's going to happen to the nice writer lady from the very first minute of this. This is about as twee as its possible to get. Jolly hockey sticks nice writer lady goes to pig farm hunks book club meeting in Guernsey on a whim and discovers more about her true self and their mild little secret. Gosh, wow thunderbolt city abound. A gin swilling Katherine Parkinson is the best thing in this.

However. I did sort of get swept along with it all, and the twist is slightly left field in as much as the way it happens is different to the usual, "she was true hero" type guff. 

As a two companion piece to "The dig" it's quite nice to see what British cinema can do when it gets it all right. 

It's not going to change the world, but it might make wet wednesday afternoon in February just a little bit more bearable.

2.5  Charlotte Bronte novels out of 5

Been on a bit of a catch up spree due to never leaving the house what with everything etc:

Venom: 3.5/5

Good silly fun and always enjoy Tom Hardy

Sorry To Bother You: 3/5

Started out great and enjoyed it but so, so weird by the end. Found it a bit heavy handed by the end. And much weirder than I anticipated.

Shazam! 4/5

Actually found the last act quite touching. Usual superhero stuff/origin story but had its moments and a few laughs.

JoJo Rabbit: 4/5

Enjoyed it but don't think it quite pulled off what it was aiming for and a little bit of a...cheap/schmaltzy moment with the big dramatic bit but it still got me in the feels and so did the ending.

Green Book: 4/5

Again kind of enjoyed it despite feeling I should know better and could see what was coming a mile off. An enjoyable couple of hours but something underwhelming about. 

(Scores are whatever popped into my head and not to be compared).

I watched Sunshine for the first time. Gorgeous film, great performances and music (Adagio in D minor is :wub:) and some nice existential angst. The Pinbacker stuff brought it down a notch. 4/5

Greenland

Gerard Butler and Morena Baccarin in a Deep Impact type flick. It’s actually pretty good, great acting and a bit more character based than similar films.

4/5 

Quatermass and the Pit. Just watched this on BritBox, Looks great in HD. Perfect ‘I’m on furlough and the weather is shit’ afternoon fare. 

4/5 

I've been catching up on a lot of big movies I didn't see.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Loved this, fantastic performances and properly funny. For a pitch black comedy there was a good amount of focus on forgiveness and redemption. 

5/5

Zero Dark Thirty

It was fine, good performances but it felt like is shied away from a lot of the moral aspects. It slowed to a crawl when the actual raid started but it's hard to build tension when you know what's going to happen. I chuckled when Chris Pratt showed up.

3/5

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Again might have suffered a bit from having read the novel which makes it hard to build tension but it was fantastically put together. Oldman and Strong were great, particularly the scene where Oldman is half cut and recounts his meeting with Karla. I love how they capture how Smiley's wife looms enormously over the whole thing but you only ever see her back a couple fo times. Incredible cast! Also Trigger and Kevin and/or Perry!

4/5

Godzilla 2014

Couldn't hack it, literally nothing in the first 20 minutes felt original or interesting. In fact other than the cool redacted credits it could have easily been the one with Hank Azaria and Jean Reno. You've got Ken Watanabe looking at bones, vaguely neglectful father loses his wife and goes conspiracy nut fracturing his relationship with GI Americabro but they'll reconcile cos he was right all along. The monster sections could be the best ever but who gives a fuck?

Turned it off / 5

Invaders from Mars (1986) - 2/5

A gloriously daft slice of 80s sci-fi, with wonky, but sometimes ingenious, effects, bad, but earnest, acting and a plot line that can only be the result of one too many drugs.

Gets a 2/5 for overall quality of film but a 3/5 for camp enjoyment. If you have ever sat in a dusty, crusty, slightly musty indie cinema and enjoyed a midnight screening you’ll probably get a kick out of Tobe Hooper’s bizarre little remake.

(available to stream on UK Netflix)

On 31/01/2021 at 11:33, PK said:

I watched the entire trilogy this week too, I enjoyed Reloaded and Revolutions a lot more than I did when they were released. In fact this time around I felt the action scenes were too long and dragged us away from all the chat about purpose and perception and Neo being the equivalent of a periodic reboot to sort out a buggy O/S. I think 17 years of working in IT and doing loads of drugs have given me a completely different perspective on them since their release :lol: 

They look really fantastic in 4K as well. I remember them being quite ropey but apart from a couple of dodgy spots where people look a bit like they're made out of rubber, the VFX are still gorgeous.

Matrix Revolutions

Well, the trilogy ends and like you, I enjoyed it much more than the first time round.  It's still not up there with the first for me, but the main part of the film being 'out of the matrix' did actually work pretty well.  A solid film, possibly a little long, some daft moments but enjoyable.

3.5/5

1 minute ago, Chewylegs said:

Matrix Revolutions

Well, the trilogy ends and like you, I enjoyed it much more than the first time round.  It's still not up there with the first for me, but the main part of the film being 'out of the matrix' did actually work pretty well.  A solid film, possibly a little long, some daft moments but enjoyable.

3.5/5

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it was. The last quarter maybe suffers a bit from spending too much time on the battle for Zion without periodically checking in on Trinity and Neo, to the point where I'd almost completely forgotten what they were up to when the film finally cuts back to them. I think they're off screen for at least half an hour, which struck me as a bit of an odd choice.

But overall it's good fun, everybody's putting in great performances and it looks superb.

Next (2007)

This was so unintentionally funny it gets an extra two points for delivering laughs in abundance. Nicholas Cage plays a Vegas magician who's able to predict events, but only up to two minutes in the future. The FBI and a Russian nuclear terrorist plot is thrown in for thrills and spills, although the Russians really only turn up in the last half hour. But that doesn't matter because 

Spoiler

It was all a dream. Turns out Nic Cage can see far future events if they are attached to his love interest breaking any sort of internal logic the film had established.

At least it made me want to read the Philip K Dick book it was based on.

3/5

18 hours ago, Bluejam said:

Greenland

Gerard Butler and Morena Baccarin in a Deep Impact type flick. It’s actually pretty good, great acting and a bit more character based than similar films.

4/5 

Better than 2012/5.

Midsommaaaaaar (to quote Kermode and Mayo)

Bit of an odd one. It's listed as a horror primarily and while that's largely accurate and there are elements of that, there's a lot more going on but also fewer traditional horror elements. Found the gore tough going and there are a few scary/shocking moments much like Hereditary (the director's other film) but the trippy visuals and some of the foreshadowing was really clever. Very creepy vibe overall and while I didn't think it had those traditional horror moments that stay with you it did have a few scenes that stuck in my head the next day. Worth a go if you have Amazon Prime and like weird creepy stuff.

4/5 (Florence Pugh earns it an extra point on her own).

The Karate Kid

Saw this back in the 80s and thought it was okish. The only bits I remember were the wall painting, the crane move and Shue being my first big crush. Not seen it in 35 years but noticed the Sony movie channel were showing all 3 films so thought,  Why not?

Turns out the film is incredibly cheesy and also incredibly good. The central relationship is brilliant. The mum was a terrible actress and it was totally obvious that Shue saw Danny as a bit of rough before settling down with a nice country club boy. 

4/5

The Karate Kid Part 2

So, the action shifts continents and old relationships come to the fore in this excellent sequel. Danny has no trouble in getting another extremely pretty girl to fall for him 8 seconds after meeting him. The central relationship is further deepened and the two leads excel at selling the whole movie. 

4/5

The Karate Kid Part 3

Its 3 out of 3 as this film is another fun romp with an incredibly silly plot and some incredibly over the top performances from the antagonists. I had a great time with this. What a fun trilogy.

3.5/5

Cobra Kai is next!  I take it the Swank movie isn’t worth bothering with? The Chan remake has that awful kid in it so I’m not checking that out. 

12 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan

VqtT9Hr.jpg

Go and sniff your sausage, Mr Depp.

"How long have I known you, Shane? Tell all the good people at home how long I've known you"

Perhaps he needs them in case of a sneak attack by whatshername.

The Legend of Cocaine Island - 2/5

Netflix doc about a hunt for buried cocaine worth several millions of your dollars. Starts off bright enough, with some likeable, interesting talking heads spinning yarns but eventually outstays it’s welcome even with a brisk 90-minute runtime. An easy, if unmemorable, watch.

9 hours ago, PK said:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it was. The last quarter maybe suffers a bit from spending too much time on the battle for Zion without periodically checking in on Trinity and Neo, to the point where I'd almost completely forgotten what they were up to when the film finally cuts back to them. I think they're off screen for at least half an hour, which struck me as a bit of an odd choice.

But overall it's good fun, everybody's putting in great performances and it looks superb.

This is what happens if you make a movie out of just the Zion scenes in the Matrix sequels:

2 hours ago, sandman said:

The Karate Kid

Saw this back in the 80s and thought it was okish. The only bits I remember were the wall painting, the crane move and Shue being my first big crush. Not seen it in 35 years but noticed the Sony movie channel were showing all 3 films so thought,  Why not?

Turns out the film is incredibly cheesy and also incredibly good. The central relationship is brilliant. The mum was a terrible actress and it was totally obvious that Shue saw Danny as a bit of rough before settling down with a nice country club boy. 

4/5

The Karate Kid Part 2

So, the action shifts continents and old relationships come to the fore in this excellent sequel. Danny has no trouble in getting another extremely pretty girl to fall for him 8 seconds after meeting him. The central relationship is further deepened and the two leads excel at selling the whole movie. 

4/5

The Karate Kid Part 3

Its 3 out of 3 as this film is another fun romp with an incredibly silly plot and some incredibly over the top performances from the antagonists. I had a great time with this. What a fun trilogy.

3.5/5

Cobra Kai is next!  I take it the Swank movie isn’t worth bothering with? The Chan remake has that awful kid in it so I’m not checking that out. 

Don't get me started on Karate Kid.  I'm sure I've had a rant on here more than once on how good it is!  I actually thought the remake with Jackie Chan was alright despite it being more about kung fu than karate.  They got the teacher-student relationship right and the equivalent miyagi upsetting scene from the first one is done really well in the remake.  Jackie Chan sells the movie to me though as he really has some good depth to his character.

Cobra Kai is great too - just need to suspend your disbelief long enough to become endeared to the characters.

Your Name (2016, Makato Shinkai)

5/5 breathtaking. Watched his later movie, Weathering with you, a few days ago. That was beautiful but didn’t hang together that well and had a bit too much childish anime weirdness around sexuality even for a movie about the intensity of first love. 

This on the other hand, is close to perfect.

All Or Nothing (2002)

This affected me emotionally, more than I thought it would. It follows a familiar path for a Mike Leigh film: establishes the mundane lives of three families, the main one being Lesley Manville and Tim Spall and their two grown-up children. There's everyday, intimate dramas, the usual Leigh attention to detail. Then something happens to totally upset their normality. The last half hour had a profound effect on me, the catalyst of the event that brings out the reality of their failing relationship hits hard precisely due to the careful setup. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm older and have some experience of this sort of relationship, seeing couples where the love, passion and respect had long evaporated, it just felt really well observed. I'm no fan of James Corden but here he doesn't spoil things, in fact his character fits really well.

4.5/5

Why Don’t You Play In Hell 4.5/5

Thanks to @Loik V credern for recommending this one. Just so much fun. Definitely reminded me of Love Exposure (even uses some of the same music I believe). Sono at his playful best.

Saint Maud 4/5

This took an age to get a home viewing release, and I was worried that it wouldn’t live up to the hype, but I thought it was great. I suspect my score will go up with repeat viewings.

Host 3/5

Bit of a disappointment as again the hype was huge. Loved the first half, felt very inventive and fresh. It also felt perfect watching on an iPad. Sadly the second just reverts to a series of jump scares. Give me the crafted horror of something like Saint Maud over lazy jump scares any day.