Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Ford v Ferrari 4.5/5

I'm not into cars but I really liked this movie. Great acting, interesting story, interesting characters. And of course it was lovely to see Patrick and McDermott on the screen together again. 

Psycho Goreman

After watching less than a minute of the trailer to avoid spoilers I knew I had to watch this film, and I was not disappointed at all. It’s a tight 90 minute movie that is the perfect mix of silly and absolute brutality. It knows exactly what it is and doesn’t try to be anything serious, and somehow manages to go from laugh out loud funny to stomach churningly gruesome in much the same way Tucker & Dale vs Evil does.

Spoiler

Highlights for me are the scenes where there is a fight taking place and then the epic soundtrack is cut, highlighting just how stupid fight scenes in movies can be without the back up track, may not sound much on paper but it was a genius idea:

A film so dark yet so childish it really is out there by itself.

4 pink stones / 5

Greenland

Very pleasantly surprised considering it is a "low budget" ($35 million i slow budget for this sort of film) disaster film. I almost didn't watch it given Gerard Butler was in the lead role but it told a surprisingly small story. Not as small as Miracle Mile (one of the best low budget small story disaster films) but compact and well told. Acting was great althought Butler's accent is very distracting these days. Some great fx but not overdone and it all felt REAL. In big event stuff like Day After TOmorrow it often feels like a big cgi show with people buried in it somewhere - here it felt like real people and a story told from their terrified persective. SOme of the scenes really moved or scared me and the absolute value the filmmakers placed on every single human life was startlingly real and honest.

3/5

Sounds low given my description but I can't quite justify a 4 yet. It might increase if the film stays with me and I rewatch it etc

Absolutely worth a watch on Prime tho!

Shazam!

It loses half a point because not everyone might be down for family-friendly silliness, and half a point because the plot's quite simple and kind of stretches itself over the runtime, but I thought it was very enjoyable and funny, and I don't mind silliness so it didn't bother me.

4/5

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

The more I watch this (4th viewing since its release), the more I'm convinced this is the greatest superhero film ever.

The visual style is just utterly superb and next level animation. The mixture of modern CGI, with comic books visuals, anime and traditional cartoon is so well done. Add that to all the little tweaks and techniques they mix together and it's just masterpiece of animation.

The characters & script are great and it's such a creative origin story with some really cool set pieces. One of my favourites is the leap of faith scene when Miles finally becomes Spider-man. A wonderful moment that uses animation and music perfectly. That one shot of him falling is just *chefs kiss*

Repeat viewing of the film is also so rewarding as you will spot so many little details you may not notice last time. For instance, this time I noticed for the first time that when the Prowler releases his claws in subway tunnel the word "Snikt" appears on screen. Or that during the time Peter goes into the collider beam near the start you get little glimpses of the other Spider-men/woman. Its little touches like that and a whole load of other stuff (even down to the silly fake Time Square adverts) that just shows how much love and care has gone into producing this film. .

It's a film so full of heart both in the story and production.

5/5

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

The more I watch this (4th viewing since its release), the more I'm convinced this is the greatest superhero film ever.

The visual style is just utterly superb and next level animation. The mixture of modern CGI, with comic books visuals, anime and traditional cartoon is so well done.

The characters & script are great and it's such a creative origin story with some really cool set pieces. One of my favourites is the leap of faith scene when Miles finally becomes Spider-man. A wonderful moment that uses animation and music perfectly. That one shot of him falling is just *chefs kiss*

Repeat viewing of the film is also so rewarding as you will spot so many little details you may have not noticed last time. For instance this time I noticed for the first time that when the Prowler releases his claws in one scene the word "Snikt" appears on screen. Or that during the time Peter Parker goes into the collider beam first time, you get these little glimpses of the other Spider-men/woman. Its little touches like that and a whole load of other stuff (even down to the silly fake Times Square adverts) that just shows how much love and care has gone into producing this film. .

It's a film so full of heart both in the story and production.

5/5

Couldn't agree more and it makes me want the film to remain as it is without a sequel because of it.

Close

Decent enough little thriller with Rapace as a bodyguard looking after a spoilt brat. It all goes to shit of course and while utterly daft I really believed in the relationship between the two leads. 

3/5

Assassins 4/5

Fantastic documentary about the killing of Kim Jong-un's half brother in an airport, and how two young girls were duped into doing it under the pretence that they were making a prank YouTube video. An incredible story about a unique assassination and the appalling treatment of the young girls.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

I was convinced I hadn't seen this, then Decker appeared and I was all.

image.thumb.png.6b795a83622e672670d6de3171cb1b17.png

I'd seen it as a small child, and the only thing that stuck with me was "I want this".  I thought that was from one of the later movies.

Dated effects aside, I rather enjoyed this. Though I do wonder how they got the funding for more movies after this, it's not exactly a thrill-a-minute. However it is a decent slice of Sci-fi. 

3/5

The Last of the Mohicans

Not the film I was expecting. I thought this was one of Daniel Day-Lewis' big serious movies rather than an action romp :lol: . Maybe I'm mixing it up with Dances With Wolves which is next on the list. Good film though, I could watch him run around the woods all day. How on earth is it rated a 12? with hearts getting cut out, throats slit and a broken arm with the bone sticking out at the end! 

Word of warning, on Netflix (again!) this doesn't have default subtitles for the french / native american languages so you need to turn on the full subs. This didn't become apparent to me until a pivotal scene with 10 minutes left :/ 

4/5

Rolling Thunder
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076637/

A returning war veteran loses his family to a violent home invasion and decides to seek and retaliate against those responsible.

Heard Quentin Tarrantino raving about this on a podcast last week so watched it on Friday. 

William Devane is an airforce pilot who has returned to his home state after being held as a POW for years in Vietnam. Things have changed in his home town and he's having trouble re-adjusting to civilian life. He's also clearly suffering from PTSD but that's never mentioned. 

His house gets broken into, family get murdered and his hand gets chopped off. After a small amount of recovery he sets off for Mexico looking for revenge.

I thought this was really good. Very bleak and nihilistic - it's written by Paul Schrader who wrote Taxi Driver. It has a real end of the 70's vibe to it, the Vietnam war is almost over and the Reagan years are about to begin but it's very much a 70's film.

The acting is decent, there's a totally blank performance from Devane which I think is probably the limits of his range and he never really kicked on to bigger roles. There's also a good turn from a very young Tommy Lee Jones. It's well shot and properly violent in places and the last few minutes are a real blast.

A good recommendation from QT - 4/5. 

Little Fish (2020)

A real dark and disturbing “love story” made even more sinister by the times we currently live in. People have began to just lose their memories, akin to catching a virus and there’s nothing they can do to stop it, doesn’t matter age sex or race, no one is safe.

Added to the fact the feeling of the hopelessness of the situation portrayed in the film, and knowing that people with Alzheimer’s go through this on a daily basis really brings home the dread of the movie.

Death is awful, but losing yourself is terrifying.

This film really played out the love story so beautifully that by the end you’re feeling every moment,

4/5

53 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Not watched it before despite it being a film of my era...

Threads

Fucking. Hell.

5/5

It’s hard to think of a more depressing watch.

Years ago a mate was dog sitting for us as we’d gone to London for a party. Of all the things to choose from, he picked Threads out of the dvd collection to watch with his tea because he’d never seen it before and ‘he thought the cover looked quite interesting’.

He phoned us up afterwards because he needed to hear some human voices! :(

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Eehh, this is overrated. Khan was a better, more convincing villain in the TOS episode, Space Seed.  Here he was just a vengeful self-righteous twat with tragically shit hair who made dubious choices given his supposed intellect. It's still a decent enough film, but top-tier Trek? Do me a favour.

3/5

Well I needed to palate cleanse after Threads last night so I put on a dumb zombie film I hadn't seen before

Remains

So bad it should be illegal. Terrible CGI, a plot that made no sense, unlikeable characters throughout, characters whose motivations were inexplicable, awful sets, appalling acting. Main cast deaths seemingly decided on the toss of a coin at various points, similarly for the character decisions.

Wasn't even fun in a bad way, just tedious in the extreme. Red Letter Media might get 5 mins out of it on Best of the Worst before changing it for another film.

1/5

On 07/02/2021 at 21:51, Bazjam said:

Assassins 4/5

Fantastic documentary about the killing of Kim Jong-un's half brother in an airport, and how two young girls were duped into doing it under the pretence that they were making a prank YouTube video. An incredible story about a unique assassination and the appalling treatment of the young girls.

WanUnfitAsianporcupine-max-1mb.gif

Edit: Couldn't resist. It's an excellent doc though.

Synchronic 4/5

A fantastic sci-fi film by Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead who directed Resolution & The Endless and Marvel's upcoming Moon Knight TV Series.

Steve (Anthony Mackie) is a ladies' man and Dennis (Jamie Dornan) is married with two children. In their work as paramedics on the late shift they begin to encounter a series of people who are either dead or in a strange state

11 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Synchronic 4/5

A fantastic sci-fi film by Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead who directed Resolution & The Endless and Marvel's upcoming Moon Knight TV Series.

Steve (Anthony Mackie) is a ladies' man and Dennis (Jamie Dornan) is married with two children. In their work as paramedics on the late shift they begin to encounter a series of people who are either dead or in a strange state

Sounds interesting. Is it available to stream? 

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Eehh, this is overrated. Khan was a better, more convincing villain in the TOS episode, Space Seed.  Here he was just a vengeful self-righteous twat with tragically shit hair who made dubious choices given his supposed intellect. It's still a decent enough film, but top-tier Trek? Do me a favour.

3/5

Khaaaan.jpg

18 hours ago, Thor said:

3/5

As he was consumed by rage and revenge over his treatment by Kirk it is not a surprise. The whole point is that the man Kirk left on Ceti alpha 5 was twisted and broken by the events in the intervening years. The planet shifted orbit and his people were decimated - he watched them all die and go mad.

The whole point of the film is naked raw revenge and a man driven to it. It is not about a cultured intelligent superhuman, that was what Space Seed was about - story already told.

This quote is there for a reason (other than Nicholas Meyer's obsession with naval references).

image.png.f0ed6dd669fc3ee1db2ecae8ef38e415.png

36 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The whole point of the film is naked raw revenge and a man driven to it.

This is a good point, and one aspect of why I don't get on with it - I don't watch Trek for that. Sure, there's no reason you can't have a good revenge story in a a good Trek/Sci-fi movie, but I feel this doesn't achieve that. As for another aspect...

38 minutes ago, Clipper said:

It is not about a cultured intelligent superhuman...

Of course it is, he's the central villain. But he was decidedly ordinary in the film, all he needed was a moustache to twirl. Though I have to admit, I can no longer take Khan seriously for a somewhat personal reason: He's the spitting image of a lady I work with, I'm talking twin sister separated at birth here - it's fucking uncanny. So every time he's on screen I have fight to not do the Nic Cage laugh. :lol:

Watching these with my 13 year old lad. Really loving reliving my film youth with him.

First Blood

Not seen this fully for a long time. Top top film, great performances by all, super tight, perfect length and no filler at all. Stallone is excellent as well (although subtitles for his breakdown speech would have been useful). The feeling when the truck crashes through the road block and music kicks in. Awesome.

The comic book nonsense that follows this is not a patch. (I remember buying a knock off Rambo knife with compass etc from Spain off the back of this in the 80s). 

5/5

Alien

Worried this might be a little too much. But went down a treat. Both of us nearly wet ourselves when Dallas gets it. And the constant dread and stress is excellent, the relief when Ripley makes it to shuttle, and then ....

The Mother stuff is a little dated and doesn’t add much. I’d forgotten about it from previous viewings. Another absolute classic that has barely dated.

5/5

Next up

Aliens

Terminator 1 and 2

Platoon

Highlander

Predator