IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

It was far too reliant on jump scares for my liking.

I’m no fan of cattle-prod horror usually but in Host thought they were done well.

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Sure its already on Shudder as watched it last year.  It was good. It's no Saint Maud though. 

Still not seen that. Will see if we’ve got a screener knocking around.

Yup, count me in the pro-Host crowd. It has a charm that will be relevant for approximately 18 months, but it was more than welcome. 

Inventive, cheap, and didn't outstay its welcome. Just what I want from this kind of thing.

Escape From Pretoria

(Based on) The true story of a couple of white South Africans, jailed for anti-aparthied activities and how they escaped from prison.

This has the potential to be a tense thriller. But it's not. Bit of a spoiler:

Spoiler

they make keys out of wood and let themselves out

There's no real sense of tension or threat or desperation or much of anything, to be honest. South African prison didn't even seem that bad, compared to the way US jails are portrayed. It was actually all just a bit dull, to be honest.

And Daniel Radcliffe gives up on the accent fairly early on. 

It's just not very good.

2/5

Felt much the same as you @ScouserInExile on 'Escape From Pretoria'. I kept expecting it to take off but the big set-piece was a couple of guys hiding in a broom cupboard...

Re-watched 'Family Business' last night on Prime. Was in the mood for more Lumet films after watching 'Dog Day Afternoon' last week and I remembered this as being quite a light and breezy caper flick. I mis-remembered! There's fun moments in it, for sure. Big Sean Connery is clearly having fun playing off Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick but it's actually quite a serious study of generational conflict between fathers and sons. I'm a sucker for those types of films just as much as I am for a good heist though, so still enjoyed it.

3 out of 5

Minari - 5/5

Absolutely lovely film about a first generation Korean-American immigrants move to bumfuck Arkansas to pursue their own American Dream. Well, the husband's dream. It's a really gentle, intimate film about a family adjusting to a new way of living. I highly recommend if you like beautifully shot, slow-paced movies.

Captain Marvel (Disney+)

I saw most of the Marvel films at the cinema but this one passed me by for whatever reason. The Captain Marvel character seemed pretty weak in the final Avengers film but figuring that I hadn't seen the film with her origin I thought I'd give it a go in case I was missing something. I guess I learned a few things about the wider Marvel universe but the whole film felt pretty pointless to me, and the character is no more interesting having watched the film. I found her character dull, most of the plot dull, the bad guy was dull and the action was dull, perhaps the only high points was the delivery by Ben Mendelsohn's character, but it was still well-trodden Marvel humour that has been done better in other entries. 

I pickup all of my Marvel knowledge from watching each of the films once, so basically not much knowledge, and my takeaway from this film and the most recent Avengers film is that Captain Marvel is only there to act as a convenient 'get out of jail free' card when things go bad. One of the weaker films in the Marvel canon. 

2/5

21 Jump Street

No horses or wide open plains here. This was good fun with some nice twists on the usual formula (the big meathead being more sensitive, the car chase where things don't explode :lol:) and nods at clichés (Ice Cube knows he's an angry black Lieutenant, 30 year old Dave Franco saying they look too old to be in high school). Tatum going radge in the school band was my favorite bit. I lol'd into a cabbage when he leapt through the gong.

4/5

On 28/02/2021 at 22:03, MechE said:

Scorcerer (1977) 5/5

William Friedkin, coming off the back of The French Connection and The Exorcist, creates this nerve shreddingly tense remake of The Wages of Fear starring Roy Scheider. It tells the story of four men from different parts of the world hiding in a remote South American town who are offered enough money to start a new life if they are willing to do one very dangerous job for the local oil firm.

Apparently it was both a commercial and critical flop when it came out, but to me it's a bit of a lost gem of 70s American film making. I think it falls a little short of his two earlier films but is certainly better than what he went on to make.

I would strongly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of American New Wave, and it certainly deserves to be better known than it is. The version online has clearly been lovingly remastered because it looks and sounds great, and has a cool synth soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

Kermode gushes about this film at any opportunity but I’ve never seen it available anywhere. 

3 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Kermode gushes about this film at any opportunity but I’ve never seen it available anywhere. 

Of course, watch Wages of Fear first if you haven’t already.

The Night Eats the World (Amazon Prime)

Paris set zombie movie about a young guy in an apartment building in the aftermath of the outbreak. I thought it would be subbed, but the whole thing is in (undubbed) English. Really enjoyed this one. The gore is effective without being showy and, despite a slight lag in the middle, moves pacily enough (although it's not an actiony movie by any means). It also has the good idea of making the zombies silent instead of the usual moaning and groaning you get. They're dead and no longer breathing - why would then make sounds if they're not expelling any air? It's a small thing but effective.

4/5

Antman and the Wasp (Disney+)

I've nearly caught up with all Marvel films now (just Far From Home to go, which is annoyingly not on any streaming service I subscribe too), with the second Antman film seemingly arriving and leaving cinema with little fanfare at the time to be honest I completely forgot it existed until recently. 

I enjoyed it quite a bit, they are very playful with the size changes and the lead was as watchable as ever. It feels like a minor story in the grand scheme of the Marvel films but somehow better for that. The post credit scene was well done as well, even if I'm watching it out of order (I saw most of the Marvel films upon release, including Infinity War/End game). 

Not much else to say really, it's lightweight, silly and fun. 

3/5. 

Boss Level...

Yeah i watched the trailer and thought that looks like some silly fun, and it is, and yet, somehow plays it straight, and it ...works!?!  like a solid B movie out of /5

From the sublime......

Shadow of a Doubt

Another piece of masterful direction from Hitchcock. It utilises a mainly unknown cast to great effect. It zips along at a great pace and doesn’t have an ounce of fat on it. A great What If tale. 

4.5/5

to the ridiculous 

Bloodrayne

An eclectic cast (including Madsen, Kingsley, Zane, Rodriguez and, er, Loaf) are wasted in this crap movie from a forgotten video game series. No real redeeming features at all apart from the action scenes which are okl. Terrible script and direction. 

0.5/5

I Care a Lot - 2/5

Great score (is it Trent Reznor again for a Rosamund Pike film?) decent performances.  Nothing else of note really. 

Spoiler

I'm glad she died at the end. But that ending reeked of test audiences not liking the true ending of her getting away with it. I would bet my life on it. 

4 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Boss Level...

Yeah i watched the trailer and thought that looks like some silly fun, and it is, and yet, somehow plays it straight, and it ...works!?!  like a solid B movie out of /5

Is this on anywhere in the UK or vpn and Hulu?

Some more highlights from the European Film Market:

We Broke Up - 3/5

Quirky indie romance that stays the right side of enjoyable thanks to some really natural chemistry between the cast. Nice to see Peri Gilpin make a cameo too.

Big Boys Don’t Cry - 3/5

Harrowing UK drama about a man who survived abuse while in a children’s home. Michael Socha’s performance is fantastic, and think he’s destined to go from being a reliable character actor to a leading man in the next few years. Grim but well-made on a tight budget.

Naked Singularity - 3/5

John Boyega leads a nuts and bolts crime thriller elevated by assured direction by debutant Chase Palmer. Feels like an old school thriller told through a modern lens. Pleasingly tight 90min runtime too. After getting through 20 films in five days, I appreciated a smartly edited film!

Also saw the awful Nemesis (1/5)

A load of familiar UK faces swear at each other in a dire gangster film. Lots of long scenes of dire-logue and some atrocious acting, plus boobs! Maybe it was the highlight of the week, I dunno.

(screened via EFM, films will be out later in the year)

The Dig.

After the initial disappointment that it wasn't a high budget movie version of the Lucasarts point and clicker, this proved to be an enjoyable way to entertain myself for a couple of hours, mainly due to Ralph Fienne's performance in the main role.

It's kind of the definition of light-weight rainy Sunday afternoon fare, but that's never really been much of a problem for me. It's nice to have a film that doesn't have any higher ambition than being a decent tale, well told.

The only slight annoyance was the made-up romantic interest for the love-lorn lady academic, which seems to be only really included to beef up the run time a little but it wasn't especially painful to watch.

So, yeah - decent enough film. 

3/5

Had it included discovering a space-ship hidden in an asteroid, I'd have added another point.

Blade Runner ("Final Cut")

I finally managed to watch a version of this movie tonight and I'm not too sure how to feel about it other than knowing that I found the score unpleasantly overbearing.

Losing count of the amount of cute baby CRTs in this film was a delight, however. 

2/5

Saint Frances
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9016016/

After an accidental pregnancy turned abortion, a deadbeat nanny finds an unlikely friendship with the six-year old she's charged with protecting.

This is a low-key, American indie movie that came out without much fanfare last Summer. A woman in her 30's finds herself pregnant in the early days of a new relationship. After having an abortion she starts a new job as a nanny. The film follows her over the course of the Summer and her relationship with the child she's minding.

I thought this was really good. It has that standard American-indie aesthetic, the hazy colours, dreamy guitar soundtrack etc. The leads are excellent and I really bought in the the nanny/child relationship and it had something to say about womens health issues, post natal depression and class but it's all done in a really subtle way. It's only 90 minutes but every character gets a full story and a lot happens but it doesn't feel compressed. 

Recommended if you like films like The Obvious Child or anything from Noah Baumbach. 

4/5

Blow the Man Down
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8299768/

Mary Beth and Priscilla Connolly attempt to cover up a gruesome run-in with a dangerous man. To conceal their crime, the sisters must go deep into the criminal underbelly of their hometown, uncovering the town's darkest secrets.

This is a Coen Brothers influenced thriller set in Maine about sisters trying to dispose of a body in a small fishing town. The plot is fairly straight forward and once all the pieces are setup nothing surprising happens. The cast are good and the characters are the usual bunch of small town eccentrics. It has a nice sense of location, good atmosphere and it looks fine. 

It's nothing special but it's a well made piece of Coen-esq Americana. One of the directors went on to direct a couple of episodes of The Stand - I'll keep an eye out for her work in future.

3/5 on Amazon Prime. 

Alien Nation (1988)

Not going to recap as presumably you know the plot.  Just to say that this is a very good spin on the mismatched buddy cop genre carried by two excellent performances from James Caan and Mandy Patinkin.  The problem is that it feels like it could have been so much more.  An average director pissing off his cast, hiding the low budget as best he can, a debut screenwriter and some butchering in the edit means we probably missed out on a minor classic but still well worth a watch and a 4/5.

BTW, if you haven't discovered Talking Pictures TV yet you should.  It is mostly old forgotten stuff from 40-70s on there but every so often they pop up something that might not be the best artistic quality, but is well worth a watch.  The Color of Money is on tonight at 9pm, for instance.

In This Corner of the World - 5/5 (Netflix)

I came upon this anime by chance scrolling through stuff for a palette cleanser after watching a chunk of Chappelle’s Show, I’d never heard of it before and thought I’d give it a watch for a few minutes before going to bed.

Well, it blew me away. It’s the story of a Japanese woman’s life leading up to and during WW2, and it’s a beautiful bit of filmmaking. It takes cues from the Ghibli style but very much its own thing, it’s a lovely portrayal of humanity versus cataclysmic change, lush in every sense while slowly drifting towards an unavoidably heartbreaking final section that left me in bits. Best thing I’ve seen in ages.

High Hopes (1988)

This tragic/comic take on life in Thatcher's Britain in the late 80s from Mike Leigh moves effortlessly between broad-strokes caricature, chaotic comedy and touching moments of reflection. I've watched enough Mike Leigh films now to spot all his touchstones like working class families with middle-class aspiration, characters feeling powerless and frustrated. Whilst there are mentions of politics and Margaret Thatcher here and there, like Meantime the criticism is implied rather than explicit. The bit with the toffs next door initially felt jarring, but on reflection made sense. Great performances throughout but special mention for Heather Tobias as the shrill, highly-strung, tragically-desperate sister, just exhausting to watch, in a good way; a very Mike Leigh character. Didn't hit me as hard emotionally although there were moments where I could relate to Cyril's desire for a better world coming up against the realities of it and his limitations.

4/5 

Made you look 

I am currently having a discussion with my son about art authenticity. I maintain that a picture should be left alone to fade and never be retouched because that destroys the original artists intent. He says art should be preserved for future generations.. 

Made you look is about a society that values art because a picture has a name attached to it and rich folk want to own it because art has become a commodity.  If a painting is by Rothko or Pollack it had a value. If that painting turn out to have  been painted by a talented Chinese painter living in New York, suddenly it has no value. Despite "expert" after "art connoisseurs" declaring it a lost master piece. 

This is a fascinating film about art and money. Who decides what is real and what is valuable. Ultimately, the only rich artist is a dead artist. 

5 lawsuits out of 5

The art of self defence 

If Wes Anderson had done "Fight Club" this would be that film.

Fantastic, creepy, hilarious, weird, engaging, dark. Jesse Eisenberg plays himself, drawn onto a world of Karate and electrical tape on belts. 

4 yellow belts and an extra black one  out of 5

Both on netflicks now

Catch Me Daddy - 4/5 (MUBI)

This is great, a contemporary tale of a couple on the run across bleakest West Yorkshire, as a brother and the thugs his father has hired hunt for his runaway sister.

Meanders on occasion, but if you want sharp-eyed tension and brutality served on a bed of crushing hopelessness, then this is for you.