Rate the last film you watched out of 5

4 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Boss Level...

Yeah i watched the trailer and thought that looks like some silly fun, and it is, and yet, somehow plays it straight, and it ...works!?!  like a solid B movie out of /5

Is this on anywhere in the UK or vpn and Hulu?

Some more highlights from the European Film Market:

We Broke Up - 3/5

Quirky indie romance that stays the right side of enjoyable thanks to some really natural chemistry between the cast. Nice to see Peri Gilpin make a cameo too.

Big Boys Don’t Cry - 3/5

Harrowing UK drama about a man who survived abuse while in a children’s home. Michael Socha’s performance is fantastic, and think he’s destined to go from being a reliable character actor to a leading man in the next few years. Grim but well-made on a tight budget.

Naked Singularity - 3/5

John Boyega leads a nuts and bolts crime thriller elevated by assured direction by debutant Chase Palmer. Feels like an old school thriller told through a modern lens. Pleasingly tight 90min runtime too. After getting through 20 films in five days, I appreciated a smartly edited film!

Also saw the awful Nemesis (1/5)

A load of familiar UK faces swear at each other in a dire gangster film. Lots of long scenes of dire-logue and some atrocious acting, plus boobs! Maybe it was the highlight of the week, I dunno.

(screened via EFM, films will be out later in the year)

The Dig.

After the initial disappointment that it wasn't a high budget movie version of the Lucasarts point and clicker, this proved to be an enjoyable way to entertain myself for a couple of hours, mainly due to Ralph Fienne's performance in the main role.

It's kind of the definition of light-weight rainy Sunday afternoon fare, but that's never really been much of a problem for me. It's nice to have a film that doesn't have any higher ambition than being a decent tale, well told.

The only slight annoyance was the made-up romantic interest for the love-lorn lady academic, which seems to be only really included to beef up the run time a little but it wasn't especially painful to watch.

So, yeah - decent enough film. 

3/5

Had it included discovering a space-ship hidden in an asteroid, I'd have added another point.

Blade Runner ("Final Cut")

I finally managed to watch a version of this movie tonight and I'm not too sure how to feel about it other than knowing that I found the score unpleasantly overbearing.

Losing count of the amount of cute baby CRTs in this film was a delight, however. 

2/5

Saint Frances
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9016016/

After an accidental pregnancy turned abortion, a deadbeat nanny finds an unlikely friendship with the six-year old she's charged with protecting.

This is a low-key, American indie movie that came out without much fanfare last Summer. A woman in her 30's finds herself pregnant in the early days of a new relationship. After having an abortion she starts a new job as a nanny. The film follows her over the course of the Summer and her relationship with the child she's minding.

I thought this was really good. It has that standard American-indie aesthetic, the hazy colours, dreamy guitar soundtrack etc. The leads are excellent and I really bought in the the nanny/child relationship and it had something to say about womens health issues, post natal depression and class but it's all done in a really subtle way. It's only 90 minutes but every character gets a full story and a lot happens but it doesn't feel compressed. 

Recommended if you like films like The Obvious Child or anything from Noah Baumbach. 

4/5

Blow the Man Down
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8299768/

Mary Beth and Priscilla Connolly attempt to cover up a gruesome run-in with a dangerous man. To conceal their crime, the sisters must go deep into the criminal underbelly of their hometown, uncovering the town's darkest secrets.

This is a Coen Brothers influenced thriller set in Maine about sisters trying to dispose of a body in a small fishing town. The plot is fairly straight forward and once all the pieces are setup nothing surprising happens. The cast are good and the characters are the usual bunch of small town eccentrics. It has a nice sense of location, good atmosphere and it looks fine. 

It's nothing special but it's a well made piece of Coen-esq Americana. One of the directors went on to direct a couple of episodes of The Stand - I'll keep an eye out for her work in future.

3/5 on Amazon Prime. 

Alien Nation (1988)

Not going to recap as presumably you know the plot.  Just to say that this is a very good spin on the mismatched buddy cop genre carried by two excellent performances from James Caan and Mandy Patinkin.  The problem is that it feels like it could have been so much more.  An average director pissing off his cast, hiding the low budget as best he can, a debut screenwriter and some butchering in the edit means we probably missed out on a minor classic but still well worth a watch and a 4/5.

BTW, if you haven't discovered Talking Pictures TV yet you should.  It is mostly old forgotten stuff from 40-70s on there but every so often they pop up something that might not be the best artistic quality, but is well worth a watch.  The Color of Money is on tonight at 9pm, for instance.

In This Corner of the World - 5/5 (Netflix)

I came upon this anime by chance scrolling through stuff for a palette cleanser after watching a chunk of Chappelle’s Show, I’d never heard of it before and thought I’d give it a watch for a few minutes before going to bed.

Well, it blew me away. It’s the story of a Japanese woman’s life leading up to and during WW2, and it’s a beautiful bit of filmmaking. It takes cues from the Ghibli style but very much its own thing, it’s a lovely portrayal of humanity versus cataclysmic change, lush in every sense while slowly drifting towards an unavoidably heartbreaking final section that left me in bits. Best thing I’ve seen in ages.

High Hopes (1988)

This tragic/comic take on life in Thatcher's Britain in the late 80s from Mike Leigh moves effortlessly between broad-strokes caricature, chaotic comedy and touching moments of reflection. I've watched enough Mike Leigh films now to spot all his touchstones like working class families with middle-class aspiration, characters feeling powerless and frustrated. Whilst there are mentions of politics and Margaret Thatcher here and there, like Meantime the criticism is implied rather than explicit. The bit with the toffs next door initially felt jarring, but on reflection made sense. Great performances throughout but special mention for Heather Tobias as the shrill, highly-strung, tragically-desperate sister, just exhausting to watch, in a good way; a very Mike Leigh character. Didn't hit me as hard emotionally although there were moments where I could relate to Cyril's desire for a better world coming up against the realities of it and his limitations.

4/5 

Made you look 

I am currently having a discussion with my son about art authenticity. I maintain that a picture should be left alone to fade and never be retouched because that destroys the original artists intent. He says art should be preserved for future generations.. 

Made you look is about a society that values art because a picture has a name attached to it and rich folk want to own it because art has become a commodity.  If a painting is by Rothko or Pollack it had a value. If that painting turn out to have  been painted by a talented Chinese painter living in New York, suddenly it has no value. Despite "expert" after "art connoisseurs" declaring it a lost master piece. 

This is a fascinating film about art and money. Who decides what is real and what is valuable. Ultimately, the only rich artist is a dead artist. 

5 lawsuits out of 5

The art of self defence 

If Wes Anderson had done "Fight Club" this would be that film.

Fantastic, creepy, hilarious, weird, engaging, dark. Jesse Eisenberg plays himself, drawn onto a world of Karate and electrical tape on belts. 

4 yellow belts and an extra black one  out of 5

Both on netflicks now

Catch Me Daddy - 4/5 (MUBI)

This is great, a contemporary tale of a couple on the run across bleakest West Yorkshire, as a brother and the thugs his father has hired hunt for his runaway sister.

Meanders on occasion, but if you want sharp-eyed tension and brutality served on a bed of crushing hopelessness, then this is for you. 

13 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Made you look 

I am currently having a discussion with my son about art authenticity. I maintain that a picture should be left alone to fade and never be retouched because that destroys the original artists intent. He says art should be preserved for future generations.. 

Made you look is about a society that values art because a picture has a name attached to it and rich folk want to own it because art has become a commodity.  If a painting is by Rothko or Pollack it had a value. If that painting turn out to have  been painted by a talented Chinese painter living in New York, suddenly it has no value. Despite "expert" after "art connoisseurs" declaring it a lost master piece. 

This is a fascinating film about art and money. Who decides what is real and what is valuable. Ultimately, the only rich artist is a dead artist. 

5 lawsuits out of 5

I also thought this was a great documentary.

The person who came out worst for me was Freedman who, as an established blue chip art dealer, should absolutely be aware that being presented with dozens of pieces of unknown works by high profile AbEx artists, with zero provenance, is literally too good to be true. She either knew full well (she must have had doubts) that these were shady works or else was led by her greed and ego with her being so desperate for be the one who brought all these unknow works to the world. Either way, I thought she came off very badly, especially as she doubled and tripled down even in the face of irrefutable evidence that the paintings were faked. No surprise that she continues to deal in art but fuck alone knows who would touch anything from her now as, based on this, I'd say she looks guilty of knowingly passing on fraudulent pieces.

I did enjoy the points made about the value of art.

I disagree quite strongly with your opening paragraph BTW. With the exemption of installation or outside works it is very, very, rarely the intention of an artist that their painting sustain damage through light, smoke, tears, etc. Restoration of aged pieces is entirely valid (unless undertaken by Spanish Church parishioners or furniture restorers).

Spiderman: Far From Home

It's noisy and preposterous, but I think they did a half decent job of making Mysterio work in the MCU. And I prefer the Marvel movies that take themselves less seriously, so this ticked that box. They also addressed a lot of the whimsical questions people had about the Infinity War finger snap. Still falls foul of using 20+ year olds to play 16 year olds. 

2.5/5

Ingrid Goes West

2017 skewering of Instagram culture that's, if anything, even more relevant now. Can be awkward in places, and it's reassuringly predictable, but Aubrey Plaza and Oshea Jackson Jr are good fun.

3/5

The Visit

Creepy Shyamalan movie about kids visiting their grandparents. Creepy in some interesting ways, and the two young leads manage to make precocious child characters tolerable.

3/5

The Nun

I love all the predictable drivel from the Conjuring/James Wan factory. And this is one of those, albeit a weaker one with a visibly low budget. It was basically exactly the kind of shit I was in the mood for though, so the score is not really indicative of how much I enjoyed it.

2/5

Psycho Goreman - 4/5

Loved this. The concept's basically an ET-style film in which everyone, including the kids, is awful, and they manage to keep that joke going for the full duration of the film. There's some truly superb costume and miniature work as well.

I then watched something else by the same writer/director, Steven Kostanski:

Manborg - 3/5

Ridiculous parody of a straight-to-VHS 80s sci-fi film. At times watching it feels slightly like you're having a psychotic episode, but luckily it's only about an hour long. It's really funny in places.

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

Spiderman: Far From Home

Still falls foul of using 20+ year olds to play 16 year olds. 

I don't really know what you can do in this case. They were young looking teenagers when they started, but they grow up in real life.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't really know what you can do in this case. They were young looking teenagers when they started, but they grow up in real life.

Spiderman's a tricky one, since they refuse to let him move on from high school, and the Blip does some useful hand-waving. This is actually one of the less grievous US films, but I swear they're going to wind up not knowing what actual teenagers look like, since their media is so inaccurately cast.

I don't think it's much of a factor in Spiderman, but in other American films I've always felt like it served to vindicate sexualised high-school characters —and the adult audiences who fetishised them.

Moonraker 

I’ve long been an advocate of this film. But this time around I felt the cracks were beginning to show. Moore and Lonsdale hold the film together by sheer force of will. It’s a shame that such a great Bond director had this as his swansong. 

It’s still a good movie once they leave Venice, but everything before that is sub par.

3/5

For your eyes only 

This starts terribly with the weakest pre credits sequence of the series by far. Thank goodness then that the rest of the film is great fun. A poor Bond girl is the only other weak point the film has. A brilliant car chase, great shoot outs, sexy jailbait, Charles Dance looking impossibly young. 

4/5

The Catcher was a Spy (Amazon Prime) 

Well this was a thoroughly enjoyable movie, based on a true story I knew nothing about what so ever. 

Paul Rudd, Mark Strong, Paul Giammati, Sienna Miller 

It's about a Professional baseball player who ends up working for the OSS and is tasked with heading to Italy to find and kill Heisenberg. 

4/5. 

5 hours ago, PK said:

Psycho Goreman - 4/5

Loved this. The concept's basically an ET-style film in which everyone, including the kids, is awful, and they manage to keep that joke going for the full duration of the film. There's some truly superb costume and miniature work as well.

I'm watching this right now and it's really fucking great. Thanks for the heads up.

Err, 4/5.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm watching this right now and it's really fucking great. Thanks for the heads up.

Err, 4/5.

Frig off!

Instant Family (Netflix)

Girlfriend was looking for an easy to watch comedy on Saturday night so we settled for this without checking any scores or reviews before hand. It's a Mark Wahlberg comedy about a married couple getting into fostering. It's very cliched and you could probably write the whole plot without even seeing the film, however it has a surprisingly genuine warm heart along with the standard of comedy you'd expect from Wahlberg (predictable but entertaining enough). Although the film never gets too heavy it seems to cover the subject with respect - I am admittedly naive on the subject - making for a film that held my attention throughout, and had the emotional range to both make me laugh and have a little (manipulated) tear in my eye by the end. Performances are all decent enough, with the standout performances coming from side characters running the Fostering service along with Joan Cusack at the end channeling her drunk headteacher role from School of Rock.

A 'you you could do a lot worse' 3/5

Baywatch

Fucking hell, this is BAD.  I have no idea what they were thinking of - or, more appropriately, what they were on - when they wrote the script.  It's so bad, it becomes watchable just to see what the fuck will happen next.  I won't want to see this again, but it was entertaining because it was so bad.  Bonus point for cameos.

3/5

Starter for 10

Curious film starring James McAvoy as a general knowledge fanatic who is picked to represent his university on University Challenge.  Loses a point for James fucking Corden but gains it back with Mark Gatiss's brilliant Bamber Gascoigne impression.

3/5

Greenland

Seen a lot of hate for this, but we found it inoffensive, albeit wholly unoriginal.  You're never going to get Oscar nominated performances in a disaster movie like this, and if you go in expecting it, you'll be let down.  This is fairly mediocre but some cool effects and an interesting take on what would happen with evacuations if a meteor was to strike the earth.  Not great but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

3/5

Adopt a Highway

Ethan Hawke is absolutely brilliant as an ex-convict trying to rehabilitate himself back into society.  His performance is such that he manages to look scruffy, cute yet always packed full of empathy and pathos.  This is a lovely, heartwarming film.  The premise of 'ex-con finds a baby in a bin' really doesn't tell much about the feelings and morals of this film.  

3.5/5

Divergent

Sunday afternoon movie we watched with the kids - I hadn't seen this before, and enjoyed the ideas.  

3.5/5

Moxie

Amy Poehler directs this excellent film exploring sexism in an American high school.  The impact of this was surprisingly effective, with some excellent performances.  Definitely one to watch with teenage kids - the themes explored in this are thought provoking and well worth talking through with them after watching.

4/5

Coming 2 America

Not sure how to rate this - I'm a MASSIVE fan of the original, it's one of my all time favourite comedies.  This doesn't really add anything to the story, and instead acts as a homage to the large cast of the original.  As I love that film, I don't really have a problem with that, but it would be a huge mistake to watch this without seeing the original as 95% of it will fall flat.  

It raised plenty of laughs with me, but is essentially a celebration of CTA part 1.

3/5

There Will Be Blood

An ASTONISHING performance from Daniel Day-Lewis as a ruthless oil baron who will let nothing stand in his way of expanding his influence.  This throws plenty of emotional impacts throughout it's slightly overlong running time but it's all about DDL,as are so many of his performances.

4/5

Bladerunner 2049

For some reason I woke up this morning and something demanded I watch this again.

I’m glad I did as enough time has passed for me to give a better appraisal of the thing other than the rather pointless ‘it didn’t need to be made’ I tended to mutter about it.

I think it’s probably the most beautifully made film I’ve ever seen. Everything feels like it’s been thought out for an age before pressing the red button on the camera. Harrison Ford came across like he actually gave a few damns. 

Nothing will ever ‘affect’ me as much as the original did. I saw it in the cinema when I was 6 and despite not understanding much of what was going in I knew I liked it. I have stubbornly maintained a notion that a sequel really didn’t need to be made. 

And yet, I’m now very glad it was made, and I think it’s a bit of a work of art. Do I think much of the story? Not especially. But, when I thought about it more, I never thought that much about the original’s story either, and that’s one of my top 3 films of all time.

Mr Villeneuve, I apologise wholeheartedly.

5/5

A couple of poorly received and now forgotten films that I nevertheless rather enjoyed......

Billy Bathgate

An Oscar winning star and director, based on a bestseller. Kidman and Willis in supporting roles. Yet this was a poorly received gangster movie. I really liked it, it’s pacy, interesting and well written. Kidman in particular is brilliant, perhaps the first role where she really shined (although Dead Calm might take that crown). Hoffman is also on first class form as the mob boss whose days at the top are on the wane. 

4/5.

Bad Company 

This is unoriginal, cliched, cheesy and has questionable sexual politics. Yet I loved it, particularly the last half hour. Hopkins is always watchable and Schumacher never made a bad film IMHO (I even like some of B&R). Utterly daft, this is plain fun. I love bonkers movies about ex Russian nukes (my fave is The Peacemaker).

3.5/5

Wrong Turn (2021)

I wouldn't really class this as a reboot, the most it has in common with the 2003 film is that some young people go the wrong way in the forest, but what follows then is very different, especially the antagonists.

Spoiler

The kids were certainly book smart, which does become useful a couple of times in the film but in general just you're typical dumb horror teenagers. No more so than the first death where they Prometheus'd themselves. Seriously though, just run to the side of the rolling log and you all survive and unhurt.

The rest if the deaths were your standard fodder to be honest. Nothing scary or that inventive, other than one thing involving a poker which was pretty awful.

The thing that bothered me the most was I just didnt buy any of it at all. There's zero chance that the locals know about the Foundation and the disappearances and have done nothing about it. If people didn't know about the Foundation then maybe it would have made sense but that isn't the case. Also fuck off that Darius was indoctrinated into their way of life so quickly. I didn't believe that for a second.

I nearly fumed at the ending too but actually loved the switcheroo. In loads of films that campervan drives off and the bad guy wins. But not this time.

2/5