Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Terminator: Salvation (2009)

Pretty much the only thing that this film does right is moving the franchise into the post-apocalyptic world (and coming across a bit Mad Max, except with submarines and helicopters) and having some reasonably decent action sequences such as when the giant robot appears out of nowhere at the petrol station (seriously, they were in the middle of a flat desert - how the fuck did no one spot it arriving?). Christian Bale as Connor was also decent casting in spite of the gravelly voice and the fact that he was barely in it.

Things that were bad? Too many to list, but let's go with the bait and switch of Sam Worthington's Marcus Wright being the actual main character of the film, Worthington being a charisma vacuum, the lack of laser weapons ("Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range") and all the damn plot holes (Skynet knowing about Kyle Reese despite the fact the first film stating that many records were lost and only Connor's mother's name was known - the second film even showed Connor's police record with "Father Unknown". Argh).

And yet, for all that missed potential at making a film that showed Connor's rise from unknown soldier to the saviour of mankind in a post-apocalyptic landscape, I would still rate this higher than the utterly redundant third film (a piss-poor retread of Terminator 2 whose only new element was its ending) and the fifth film (the soft reboot was a good idea in theory, but again ruined by poor casting/acting and a stupid twist).

2.5/5

I watched Predestination again last night. The first time I watched it was because I'd read the thread on here, so I spoiled it for myself because I knew what happened. It's been a few years since then, so I'd forgotten, and I enjoyed it much more. It's a fantastic film :) silly, but fantastic. 5/5

And to retread my joke from the Predestination thread: Leonardo DiCaprio is great in it.

Spoiler

59f8313a-f094-4494-be93-7abd301b26fc-206

Palm Springs. 

Yupe another hands up for liking this. Some excellent laughs to be had, the dancing in the bar had me laughing hysterically. I liked the end credit.

There's nothing you've not seen in other films of the time loop sort, but this does the whole thing really well and there are some great gags in it.

Spoiler

I just assumed the Dinosaurs were a mushroom induced hallucination. It was just him realising he was having a good time, which was why didn't try it on with her in the tent later, it was all down to her. Which I figured was the first time she'd come on to him and thus why he was asking about it later in the car. 

Solid 4 beers on the lilo out of 5.

Outbreak. This was terribly nineties. Funny, it screamed Harrison Ford as the leading man and Dustin Hoffman seemed a strange choice. Only when I googled afterwards did I find out that Ford had indeed been first choice.

Utterly predictable with lots of very average performances. Donald Sutherland in particular is terrible.

Two completely unsurprising plot twists out of five.

28 minutes ago, skondo said:

Outbreak. This was terribly nineties. Funny, it screamed Harrison Ford as the leading man and Dustin Hoffman seemed a strange choice. Only when I googled afterwards did I find out that Ford had indeed been first choice.

Utterly predictable with lots of very average performances. Donald Sutherland in particular is terrible.

Two completely unsurprising plot twists out of five.

Fuck me I love Outbreak

Wild Bill

Netflix

Very British drama about a man leaving prison and reconnecting with his kids. It's grim and also uplifting. Set in London but it's all shot on an estate that could be anywhere. Dexter Fletcher directs a Mike Leigh light slice of life.

3/5

Raw Deal

Netflix

The only Arnie film I hadn't watched. Absolute garbage. Not a single appealing scene. Really disappointed as I expected it to be much better than it was. 

1/5

48 Hrs (1982)

I haven't seen this in years, and I'd forgotten how brilliant the chemistry between Nolte and Murphy is, assuming you can put the racial slurs to one side. That said, the film does call out Cates's racism when he claims it was all just to keep Hammond in his place and Hammond's response is along the lines of "All of it? Really?", and Cates has the decency to look sheepish. A short while later, it's practically comical when the black police captain calls Hammond the N word, Cates looks surprised and the captain says "Yeah I called him a n***er!".

Murphy pretty much steals the show, but Nolte as the loose cannon always getting in arguments with pretty much everyone in the entire film isn't too shabby either, and the direction from Walter Hill is tight, with the pair's banter filling in the gaps between moments of explosive violence. I cannot remember if I've seen the sequel or not, but since that's on Prime right now it's next on the list (that or Dark Fate, and I know which one I'm going to enjoy more).

3 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Wheatley's CV is insane. He's going to do a Tomb Raider soon.

He's not doing the Tomb Raider sequel any more.

He's doing the sequel to The Meg instead.

On 07/04/2021 at 10:54, Boothjan said:

The Killing Fields

Even the bizarrely hypnotic and ill-fitting Mike Oldfield score can't stop the unbelievable feelings of emotion and anger flooding out of anyone who has a soul who watches this.  Incredible performances matched with wonderful cinematography.  The feelings of chaos followed by resignation and despair are perfectly rewarded with one of the most emotional finales in cinema.

The Killing Fields is an absolute masterpiece and is currently on Amazon Prime - it's a must-watch.

5/5

On the same subject First They Killed My Father is a really good film as well.

Calm With Horses

IMDB says: "Douglas 'Arm' Armstrong has become the feared enforcer for the drug-dealing Devers family, whilst also trying to be a good father. Torn between these two families, Arm's loyalties are tested when he is asked to kill for the first time."

I enjoyed this, generally. I found the lead character to be quite sympathetic. He had very definite shades of Lennie from of Mice and Men about him - he was clearly easily manipulated and lead, he didn't enjoy the violence he dished out but he did what he was told and he clearly had issues of his own. But the story is a bit thin on the ground, there aren't really any other fleshed out characters and it all feel a bit "meh". 

Also, if you aren't used to Irish country accents, you'll struggle with this.

3/5

Just now, Thwomp said:

A Cure For Wellness - 4/5.

I really enjoyed this, it's like a better Shutter Island. The story was something a bit fresh and unpredictable.

Better Shutter Island.:lol:

Also, its nothing like Shutter Island. :)

10 hours ago, SeanR said:

Raw Deal is a cheap piece of garbage that makes Cobra look like Shakespeare.

Get the fuck out of here! I won't have anybody disrespecting Raw Deal! It's cheesy fun. 

You should not drink...and bake. 

37 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

A Cure For Wellness - 4/5.

I really enjoyed this, it's like a better Shutter Island. The story was something a bit fresh and unpredictable.

Shitter Island.

On 28/03/2021 at 09:03, ZOK said:

Under the Tree - 5/5 (MUBI / Prime)

This is superb stuff, an Icelandic comedy so dark light bends around it as you watch.

A guy gets kicked out by his wife and goes back to his parents, and finds himself in involved in their feud with the next door neighbours over trimming a tree. Lives are ruined. And when the final scene comes, you feel guilty laughing.

On a lighter note, if you are a fan of Skandi interior design you’ll be in heaven.

Thanks for this, wouldn't have known about it without your post and I thoroughly enjoyed this tonight though I did predict the final scene which was class :)

On 11/04/2021 at 15:00, Vimster said:

Thunder Force (2021)

Everything wrong with big-budget American comedy films these days, the coarse-for-the-sake-of-it humour, the endless, tedious ad-libbing, stretches of boring conversations that go nowhere, loose, ineffectual direction. A complete chore to watch, I found myself reaching for the skip-forward button more than a few times just to see how long each scene could be padded out. Even the few action scenes here are hamstrung by it! I want to like Melissa McCarthy, in better films with tighter direction she's alright. It's weird how Netflix chose to have McCarthy with Jason Bateman's The Crab rather than Octavia Spencer, after all it's basically a buddy-superhero film. Maybe Jason Bateman is a bigger draw than I thought. He's just as prone to dialogue diarrhoea as the rest of the cast, albeit with claws. As I write this is No.1 on UK Netflix. Words fail me.

1/5

McCarthy's husband is the director/writer.

His films are shit. Worse than shit.

On 28/03/2021 at 09:03, ZOK said:

Under the Tree - 5/5 (MUBI / Prime)

This is superb stuff, an Icelandic comedy so dark light bends around it as you watch.

A guy gets kicked out by his wife and goes back to his parents, and finds himself in involved in their feud with the next door neighbours over trimming a tree. Lives are ruined. And when the final scene comes, you feel guilty laughing.

On a lighter note, if you are a fan of Skandi interior design you’ll be in heaven.

Watched this last night. A macabre delight.

Terminator 2 (1991)

Still an absolute banger of a film, thirty years on. I've seen T2 a lot as a teenager, but this time I felt like I could appreciate things like the pacing and the character arcs. Sarah changing from hapless victim to an almost-machine like warrior and her reconnection with her son, hell, even the bonding between the T-800 and John with the infamous "I now know why you cry" line didn't bug me so much. I also note that the callbacks (both the obvious ones and a few sly references) to the first film are properly earned, unlike every other subsequent film that have skull-fucked a few iconic lines of dialogue into utter parody. The Terminator > T2 >>> Terminator: Salvation >>>>>>>>> T3 > Genisys (I plan to watch Dark Fate in due course. It bombed sure, but it cannot possibly be worse than Genisys or 3. Surely not).

4/5

Sound of Metal 

Finally it arrives on Amazon Prime UK streaming. Riz is superb as are the rest of the cast, and the sound design and mix here are great. Its a bit too long though at a full 2 hours

3/5

Click

The 2006 Sandler film. It's very dumb even if you immerse yourself in the fantasy element (lots of scenarios that are easily circumvented if Sandler was as good at Groundhog Day-ing scenarios as Bill Murray.) Although I guess you're not supposed to think about it too hard, and the character's supposed to be a bit daft. And the time powers sometimes acted by themselves which seemed like a convenient narrative escape.

Oh, and it can be pretty dated in terms of stereotypes/characterisation that might not look great today.

But it's entertaining enough if you don't overthink things - 4/5 if you don't mind the offensive stuff and don't fret about the logic, but knock a point off if one of those things bother you (or two if they both bother you.)