Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Father 

While definitely deserving of all the praise it’s receiving it’s both an absolutely brilliant film and equally an absolutely horrible film all at the same time. 

Without doubt more scary than 98% of films in the good horror thread. 

4/5

They Live

It’s a pretty dreadful film by today’s standards and super on the nose but it’s oddly watchable. The lead actor is kind of bizarre and not really very good. Some of the dialogue is ridiculous. Cool to see where Obey the skate brand comes from and recognised some actors from other John Carpenter stuff here and there. 

It’s a 1/5 if you judge by today’s standards but as an 80s genre movie railing against Reagan I’ll give it a 3/5. 

17 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Terminator 2 (1991)

Still an absolute banger of a film, thirty years on. I've seen T2 a lot as a teenager, but this time I felt like I could appreciate things like the pacing and the character arcs. Sarah changing from hapless victim to an almost-machine like warrior and her reconnection with her son, hell, even the bonding between the T-800 and John with the infamous "I now know why you cry" line didn't bug me so much. I also note that the callbacks (both the obvious ones and a few sly references) to the first film are properly earned, unlike every other subsequent film that have skull-fucked a few iconic lines of dialogue into utter parody. The Terminator > T2 >>> Terminator: Salvation >>>>>>>>> T3 > Genisys (I plan to watch Dark Fate in due course. It bombed sure, but it cannot possibly be worse than Genisys or 3. Surely not).

4/5

5/5 

Ban request.

9 hours ago, hollowman said:

The Father 

While definitely deserving of all the praise it’s receiving it’s both an absolutely brilliant film and equally an absolutely horrible film all at the same time. 

Without doubt more scary than 98% of films in the good horror thread. 

4/5

I want to watch this but my dad is suffering from dementia right now, not sure I could cope.

12 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I want to watch this but my dad is suffering from dementia right now, not sure I could cope.

It’s tough watch when you’ve a link to dementia. My best friend’s dad (more or less my second dad) succumbed to dementia in 2018, it put a lot of his behaviour in the final year into perspective. Made me bawl to the extent my kids woke up to come find me and see what was wrong.

34 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

19 minutes ago, Graham said:

It’s tough watch when you’ve a link to dementia. My best friend’s dad (more or less my second dad) succumbed to dementia in 2018, it put a lot of his behaviour in the final year into perspective. Made me bawl to the extent my kids woke up to come find me and see what was wrong.

Yes same here, I was crying my eyes out for at least half an hour at the end, and my own experience was my mum showing only the very early signs when she passed away from something else.

It's an excellent film but a very difficult watch, I'm honestly not sure if I can recommend it to you @Monkeyboy. It might provide some insight to help you understand the angry, out-of-character outbursts, if your dad is exhibiting those. But I don't know if that'd be worth how heartbreaking the whole thing is.

I'm also so sorry your dad and you are going through it. Such a cruel, unfair condition.

Schindler's List

I think this is possibly only the third time I've seen this. First time was when it first came out, I think second will have been more than ten years ago and then today. 

There's not a lot I can say about this, other than it's a masterpiece. Stellar performances across the board, brilliantly shot, perfect soundtrack. It's just a fantastic film.

I hate to do the "as a parent" thing, but: as a parent, any bits involving kids got to me a lot more this time around.

5/5 

Nobody - 4/5

Absolutely top notch. Best action film I have seen in some time and darkly funny on occasion as well. Its clear what the filmmakers were going for and rip the piss out of other recent movie tropes in a very subtle way. Its not a dark comedy though even though the trailers hint at that. There's one scene in partular that was so well shot, fight rehearsed and funny that it's in my all time favourite fight scenes. Well paced cracking 90 mins.

Great soundtrack as well

Good to have the rare action gem like over in the mountain of CGI shite fests. 

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Schindler's List

I think this is possibly only the third time I've seen this. First time was when it first came out, I think second will have been more than ten years ago and then today. 

There's not a lot I can say about this, other than it's a masterpiece. Stellar performances across the board, brilliantly shot, perfect soundtrack. It's just a fantastic film.

I hate to do the "as a parent" thing, but: as a parent, any bits involving kids got to me a lot more this time around.

5/5 

I watch it every year at least once. And every time it leaves me a crying mess after at least 3 scenes. 

It's one of those films that if someone said they didn't like it or it did nothing for them then I immediately disown them as a human being. 

Late night tonight.

Just finished Tenet.

First watch through and absolutely loved it!! Not his best but Nolan is bloomin' marvellous.

Shame the Amazon stream was full of awful artifacting in dark scenes.

Will buy the 4K UHD disc.

5 inverted rounds / 5.

The Invisible Man (2020)

It's difficult to articulate why this thriller didn't quite hit the mark for me. The pacing, setting and revelations early on are just right, things unfold at a rate that keeps things tense and intriguing. You feel the frustration as the main character, decently played by Elizabeth Moss, was having to deal with the gaslighting. I'd add that the way the invisibleness was shot was very well done especially in the less chaotic scenes early on. The ending's understatement worked against it somehow, I'm assuming it was mean to be ambiguous. There are some great ideas, it felt like Leigh Whannell was trying to be restrained, keep it more like a noir thriller than a Hollywood FX-fest. There was just something missing for me, it felt a touch hollow, I couldn't fully invest in the story later on as, whilst it hinted at the very serious subject of domestic abuse and coercive relationships early on, that all went by the wayside towards the end.

3/5

Shin Godzilla 

I’m not particularly into Godzilla movies and the recent ones are obviously total bobbins but for some reason I thought I’d give this a bash. I’m glad I did, it was a lot of fun and the special effects were great, the kind you don’t really see in films any more. Unfortunately there was no option to have the original Japanese audio but once I’d got used to it, it just added to the entertainment value.

4.5/5

Exposed (Amazon Prime)

The combination of Keane Reeves and Ana de Armas got me to start this one.

Turned it off 40mins or so later.  Insufferably dull.

1/5

I will say though that it definitely switched me on to the notion of Keanu Reeves playing a hard boiled detective. With the right script that role/casting combo is total dynamite IMO.

Nobody

It's entertaining and a fun ride but that's about it, other than that it's pretty much a slightly edgy popcorn flick. I was wanting more grit/realism. By the end I wish I had just rewatched Mandy.

2/5

Traffic (2000)

Steven Soderbergh’s superb drugs drama is utterly compelling, with brilliant performances from all the actors - Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Benicio Del Toro. To add to the already awesome atmosphere of the directing from Soderbergh, is the superb soundtrack from Cliff Martinez. 

Can watch this movie over and over.

1000/5 Currently on Sky Movies.

Palm Springs (2020)

Have to admit that was a very entertaining film. It was obvious some thought had gone into the script, well, everything except the end which felt a bit like they had had the fun bit and just wanted the story to end nicely. Likeable leads really helped, it didn't get sappy although it was in danger of doing so near the end, but hey, it's a rom com so what do you expect? Good-natured, some nice ideas, worth a watch even if you hate romantic films.

3.5/5

American Assassin

A member of One Direction infiltrates a terrorist cell by wearing a fake beard and using Google translate. The last half an hour improved when I switched off and watched Highway to Heaven instead.

1/5

Nobody (2021)

Immensely enjoyable revenge B-movie cobblers this. So many have tried in the last decade and they've generally failed, but this has the ever-so-slightly tongue-in-cheekness, the darkly comicness, plays on what we know of these sort of revenge films and just has some fun. I've seen so many of these sort of films down the years it's easy to get jaded, a lot of them take the easy path and you may get a bit of a primal buzz but nothing major. This was different, it was a joy, the bus segment was funny, brutal. The final section was pure dumb, super-slick, probably aided by a few ciders but hey, it just added to the experience. Christopher Lloyd was the highlight here. Without giving too much away it was inspiring to see him near the end. Far from classic but it had style.

4/5

Sound of Metal (Prime Video)

Riz Ahmed puts in an outstanding, emotional performance as a drummer who suddenly loses his hearing. Very moving in places and a really interesting insight into deafness, this really deserves all the accolades it’s getting.

5/5

Pixie 

Irish heist, gangster, romcom, not too sure what it wants to be film, three kids try to shift drugs, hijinks ensue. 

Some funny bits, a bit of pathos, a gun fight and two graves. The ending is lame. 

3 killer nuns out of 5