IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 27/04/2021 at 08:16, Don Rosco said:

Thanks @ZOK, seen it already and it was brilliant. I’d say it might be up @Quest’s alley. 

I knew most of the artists well enough, but it’s really something seeing the amount of them. Titans in their field. Funny how it’s a genre where women thrive. I know Suzanne Ciani at least went for electronic music partly because it didn’t require collaboration, she was struggling a bit to be taken seriously as a female composer. 

Yeah, this has been on my radar for a while. Need to get this house move over with and then I'll get it watched.

Sonic The Hedgehog

No cringe. Four or five genuine LOL moments with my boy. Not plastered with obligatory easter eggs all over. Carrey was great. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.

Watch it during a nice sunny evening.

4.5/5 - it's no 'Once Upon A Time in the West'.

12 hours ago, Fallows said:

Sonic The Hedgehog

No cringe. Four or five genuine LOL moments with my boy. Not plastered with obligatory easter eggs all over. Carrey was great. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.

Watch it during a nice sunny evening.

4.5/5 - it's no 'Once Upon A Time in the West'.

This was the last film I saw at an actual/real cinema. It wasn't as bad as I thought. 4.5/5 though. I thought a 2.5 or 3. 

The Fugitive - 3.5

The first third of this is still incredible. The pace is relentless. It wastes very little time setting up the story and setting up Tommy Lee Jones vs Harrison Ford. The special effects and stunt work during the prison bus/train scene are still fantastic to see. The film just flies by at a crazy pace until they get to Chicago. Then it falls apart quite abit. It could have been near perfect at 90 mins but it drags it out over 2 hours. Director Andrew Davis can't pull it off and the second half feels like an episode of your average 90s/00s CSI type tv show outside a couple of bright moments. 

Still for the initial escape by Ford, that runs alot longer than you remember. Plus the career defining performance by Tommy Lee Jones, which had so many great little moments as well as the big famous ones, its still an easy and very fun watch. Plus a half point for Joey Pants who adds an easy half point to every film he has ever been in.

Mitchell's Vs The Machines

(Netflix)

Sony Pictures Animation continue to ooze confidence in this superb take on the road trip, with more style, charm and whit than most studios can ever deliver. 

While this isn't as gob-smacking as Spiderverse it is still a work of unrelentingly crazy brilliance. Each act is more insane and amusing than the last and the film manages to nail its various messages without getting too cheesey or bogging down simple but well-delivered plot. The characters are all likeable, the humour is spot on and the set-pieces are all superbly crafted. 

I feel a little starved of quality family films at the moment so I might be overly gushing from our first watch, but I thought this was just wonderful from start to finish. 

Ps - the trailer shows you a bit too much, so go in fresh. 

5/5

Three the Hard Way

Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly kill an insane amount of racist scumbags who want to poison the water supply to kill only non-whites. They've also kidnapped Jim's woman. These racist bozos should know never to make it personal.

4 out of 5

What @PeteJ said.

(Netflix)

Really funny. Really full of heart and my relationship with my middle daughter was so close, I had a bit of a teary last 15 minutes as although I'm not like the Dad, the daughter is exactly like mine. 

5/5

Things Heard And Seen.

This film i think it said at the beginning (feels a long time ago now) takes place in 1980. Perhaps if it was released in 1980 it could be forgiven for feeling so tired now. It's so on the nose It's hard to take seriously. Even the title is very on the nose isn’t it. Things are heard and seen, that is true. So on the nose that at one point Seyfried spots a bible on the shelf while tidying up late at night and flicks through, finding a family tree and list of deaths, one name scribbled out at the bottom with 'Damned' written down. 'Damned' says Seyfried. Is that not something like from a Resident Evil or am i seeing hokey horror where there isn’t any. 

As soon as i realised it was a supernatural horror of sorts and not a character drama i thought maybe i should give up and go no further. But i really liked The Nest recently and it's similar in many ways. Self centered professional leaves for new job, buying a big house in the country where his wife feels increasingly lonely. 

I've not seen James Norton in anything but he's so watchable in this and so perfectly cast it's a shame his young likeable and very charming professor is wasted in this. It's satisfying trying to work out his character, he's not a passive aggressive nice, he seems genuinely nice, and when he lies it's not like he's evading a horrible truth but providing another angle. 

I still sort of liked it though. There's a pleasant slowness to it. I don't think modern audiences, except extremely religious and catholic types are going to go with much of it though.

2.5/5

Shopping (1994)

Stylish but dated first feature from Paul W S Anderson. Jude Law with the assistance of Sadie Frost get into a ram-raiding rivalry with Sean Pertwee and crew; pretty basic story with basic characters. Sean Bean and Jonathan Pryce are wasted here. The film does have a great look, a riot aesthetic, spray-painted concrete in wet streets, random fires, smoke-swept decay, everyone wears leather jackets. It is trashy in a satisfying way. Decent 1994-era soundtrack too. The attitude does get tiring after a while, none of the characters are particularly likeable or have anything interesting to say, and the angst and nihilistic thrill-seeking don't really amount to anything, but then this isn't trying to say much beyond fuck you by all accounts.

3/5

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

What @PeteJ said.

(Netflix)

Really funny. Really full of heart and my relationship with my middle daughter was so close, I had a bit of a teary last 15 minutes as although I'm not like the Dad, the daughter is exactly like mine. 

5/5

Also 5/5.

The sort of film Pixar wish they could make, instead of the tedious life lesson shite they serve up these days. Like with Wolfwalkers, it'll be depressing to see this lose the Oscar to Pixar's stale guff for 2021.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

This is one of the most stylish films I've seen in ages. I watched the entire thing with a big fat smile on my face. It's just so damn cool. The soundtrack and audio design in general is excellent. One to watch with headphones. Make sure you catch it before it leaves Netflix in a few days' time if you haven't seen it already.

4.5/5

A Star Is Born

Good old-fashioned storytelling done well; the fromage is strong, but tastes good.

Cooper and Gaga had genuine chemistry and omg can Gaga act.

Concert scenes felt very real - the scale was right and for the AV nerds there’s some great use of light and colour especially in Dolby Vision.

Scripting was nice and tight, and didn’t take people for total idiots regards exposition which I thought was good for a movie like this.

I personally would have preferred a longer third act.

Bonus points for Cooper bringing in his old Alias buddies for small parts, also for Cooper's ongoing Sly Stallone impression which made me laugh.

Galaxy Quest (1999)

Not seen this since about 2004, and it has to be said this has aged really well. A film with this premise could have been so lazily knocked out for a quick buck, but it's clear some actual effort went into this, from a sharp script that, unlike most big-budget comedy in 2021, doesn't rely on wacky ad-libs, to some great creature and ship designs. It gets dangerously near to sappy at times towards the end yet thankfully keeps that to a minimum. Attitudes to geek culture have changed a lot in the last 20 or so years, back in 1999 it was still looked down upon to an extent yet this handles it well, treating the source of inspiration with respect and redeeming the treatment of the obsessed fans at the convention. Honestly forgotten Sam Rockwell and Monk were in this too. Yes, was glad I watched this again.

4/5

2 minutes ago, Nick R said:

@Vimster Galaxy Quest got a retrospective documentary called Never Surrender not long ago. I think in the UK it's included with Amazon Prime Video at the moment:

Sadly not but I shall keep an eye out. Cheers.

Nomadland - 5*

Not often that I and the Oscars see eye to eye, or that I could even tell you what won most years, but this is very much an exception. I would happily watch Frances Mcdormand in anything, so it's already got a headstart, but this is just stunning. I can imagine plenty of people will bounce straight off it - nothing really happens at any point and it's slow and kind of repetitive - but I found it utterly hypnotic. It's an intense, emotional experience, heightened by the knowledge that many of the stories are real, being told by real people living this life, and Zhao captures astonishingly natural performances from all of them. Mcdormand and the gorgeous scenery may be the nominal stars but it's her fleeting connections with her fellow travellers that stayed with me.

(Edit: forgot to add that the Einaudi soundtrack is incredible too - worth a listen on its own.)

Tenet

3rd time I’ve watched it, first time at home, and it was probably my favourite viewing. Happy with my ‘getting’ of the overall movie now whilst letting a lot of the inversion stuff wash over me in a good way. I think I had it as 4 before but pretty sure it’s a 5 now. 

The cast, the music and the spectacle are all amazing. 

It Follows

First time watching a film which got a lot of hype on release and even recently was being recommended to me as a brilliant watch. Can't agree with any of it at all - good premise, terribly executed, albeit it with a strong style and ambience.

For me the film falls apart in the final third (probably not long after the boat house), like they had no idea how to script their way out of the rather nifty scenario they'd created. Any impending sense of foreboding or terror dissipated quite quickly and only one cheap (and rather pointless) jump-scare in the film caught me off guard.

Massive props to Disasterpiece for the soundtrack though as that's brilliant.

2/5

Vanilla Sky - Not seen this since the cinema and I remember really liking it (on IMDB I gave it a 9). Maybe knowing the conclusion spoils it but it all seemed a bid muddled, and most of the best bits ironically I seem to have made up in my own mind as they don't exist in the film.

3/5

Gil Scott-Heron - Black Wax - 5/5 (Prime)

Hard to rate this restored documentary anything other than a 5 as it is basically a bunch of footage of GSH doing a club gig with the Midnight Band, so that’s clearly excellent, and when it’s not it’s GSH wandering the streets of DC generally being his inimitable self.

If you know this spliced together clip from YouTube (and if you like music you should), Black Wax is the source:

Mank. 

We watched citizen kane in preparation for this and I'm not sure it helped. 

Firstly it looks amazing and the way the film is put together is fantastic. The cigarette burns before the fade cuts, the slight echoe sound and the light, all make it feel like a 30s movie. 

But the story wanders around too much and if it's supposed to explain how Mank wrote the screen play, it didn't work for me. I'm still not sure why he hated Charles Dance so much to use him as the character of Kane. And I'm not sure about the california election bit. 

But Oldman is absolutely on fire and delivers a mesmerising performance. 

3.5 cigarette packets out of 5