Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'll get round to watching Batman Returns at some point. Maybe that'll be better.

It's been a very long time since I've watched either of them, but I always preferred Returns, by far.

5 minutes ago, Nick R said:

It's been a very long time since I've watched either of them, but I always preferred Returns, by far.

I rewatched it three years ago, and was pretty… Shocked? How it was considered marketable as a big blockbuster summer film back in 1992. It’s twisted.

Doing the streaming version of FrightFest this year, just watched the first film:

The Show (2020)

Eccentric, off-beat noir written by Alan Moore and set in his neck of the woods, Northampton. Is it a ghost story, a murder mystery? It does go in those directions and others, gets rather psychedelic in places too. There are some good laughs here delivered dryly. The biggest issue I had was it felt too reliant on exposition, there were several points where characters would attempt to explain the situation in a way that did somewhat bring everything back to reality, and that's a shame because there's a pleasantly disorienting feel to the setting, with oddball characters of varying likeability. Feels like something you could find on BBC4.

2.5/5

Batman

I've been meaning to watch this for a while now and after @Jamie John post I thought I'd get the DVD out.

what can I say, this is still a quality film.  From the awesome Gotham sets, which put the other films to shame, to the music score and costume design, it's nostalgic but in a good way.  Keaton is moody, a bit fragile but likeable as Wayne, rather than the later very arrogant versions of him.  Batman still has the menace, and I actually like the way he (doesn't) move his head, it adds a strange dynamic to his fighting.

jack Nicholson in no way phones it in for me.  I'd say he gets more psychotic as the film goes on and the comic book silliness mixed with random Joker kills from no where create that sense of him being a little unhinge!

what else...Batmobile is fucking brilliant, still looks awesome (although oddly slow in some scenes), Kim Basinger is just smokin' and Alfred is still the best. 

For a 32 year old film it still does it for me.

4.5/5

I ain't gonna say a bad word about 89 Batman, cos I was 14 and it was the biggest Superhero film, since Superman the movie. Loved it then, love it now. 

Burton's direction. Anton's sets.

Nicholson and Keaton

Batman the album. 

Not seen it for years mind. 

Vacation Friends (Disney +) 

This was a unexpected treat tbh. 

John Cena is pretty great in this and it's quite a funny movie. 

And Lil Rey Howery played a great straight man to him. 

Moments dragged a smidge on occasion but overall I would recommend giving it a watch. 

3.75/5 

Crabs! (2021)

Crabs! are attacking a small coastal town, but they're just the beginning. It's down to a wheelchair-bound kid and his Iron Man power cell to save the day. Obviously pretty cheap and largely cheerful, the sum of its influences. Just sit back and roll with it. Cast of likeable characters, except Radu the foreign exchange student who was proper Marmite; could imagine some really liking him but I personally thought he was dreadful. Bit of creature feature, bit of Gremlins, bit of this and that, warmed to it. Not perfect but there's an enjoyable film here.

2.5/5

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

I ain't gonna say a bad word about 89 Batman, cos I was 14 and it was the biggest Superhero film, since Superman the movie. Loved it then, love it now.

Same, although I seem to find it more of a comedy now. 

It's fucking hilarious. 

41 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Same, although I seem to find it more of a comedy now. 

It's fucking hilarious. 

I can't deny I didn't laugh. But it's not Batman 66. 

Which I think is the main point of the movie. 

It's a different type of camp to that. 

The Ninth Configuration - There's some pretty evocative imagery and good dramatic conversations buried in here, but most of the running length of what is supposed to be a psychological horror is filled with shite comedy about the mentally ill (which is at least less offensive than the black guy in a Superman outfit with a big N logo on his chest). The sheer datedness of "all mental patients think they're Napoleon" style stuff is one thing (what was the inflection point for media starting to deal with mental health sensitively? I want to say the Sopranos), it's just a complete tonal mismatch, and a lot of time feels like it's there to pad out the running length of a plot that's barely two-acts. 1/5 if I'm being generous

Attack on Precinct 13 - Also add me to those who found this disappointing, given the setup you'd think this'd be a tight 'bottle-ship' film with some good drama among the police and prisoners holed up. I couldn't help feel it squandered everything about it's premise, despite the short running length this has a meandering, overlong start, quickly kills off any possible cast conflict (sometimes literally) and then ends suddenly and anticlimactically. 2/5

The Day Will Come - I like Chris Morris, but I can't help feel the problem with this film is that it's based on a real case. It's not subtle about what it wants you to take from it, the... protagonists(?) are portrayed as sympathetic and merely eccentric, and the authorities are portrayed as sinister and willing to do anything to get a conviction - it's a polemic basically, and would work as a fictional satire. But because it's based on a real case you're constantly in your back of your mind asking if this is a remotely fair reading of events. 2.5/5

Captive (2020)

Minimal low-budget psychological thriller involving a girl lost in the woods, fleeing an abusive father, having to pretend to be the daughter of a man she asks for help, and he has issues of his own. Takes a while to unfold but the pacing felt just right, small details dropped in adding to the intrigue, it certainly held my interest. May be a bit too subtle for some, although it does all pay off in the end. The two leads have to carry the vast majority of the drama and they do that admirably especially newcomer Tori Costic.  Worth sticking with.

3.5/5

Coming Home In The Dark (2021)

Slow, brutal and intense thriller with a family subjected to a nightmare road trip at the hands of two haunted guys, the low rumble of menace ever present. The brutality comes as the father is forced to confront his past, and there's no compromise. It starts off with lush vistas but as night falls it's all about mud, exhaust fumes, blood. More intense than thrilling, the unpredictability of the captors really pulls the thing along. If you're in the mood for something slow and minimal yet harrowing this is for you.

3.5/5

Call of the Wild

Harrison Ford takes the staring role in this adaptation, but he's playing against the real star - Buck. It's a curious thing. 

This is a film about a dog finding its place in the world, and we watch his journey over the span of several years while Ford provides some humanity and a gravelly voiceover. 

The film hangs everything on Buck. Pretty much every scene in fact, so it was a bold move to make Buck 100% CGI. There is no stunt dog here with extra cg, this is pure mo-capped CGI against live backgrounds. 

The mo-cap was done not by a dog, but a human pretending to be a dog. 

The results...vary. At its worst Buck looks awful, sticking out against the real background so badly it's amazing the film didn't get another pass (apparently budget would have gone well over). Uncanny Valley For Dogs, basically.

At its best however, Buck is quite a lovely character, almost convincing as a particularly clever, expressive dog. Critical and fan reception will convince you this is an outright failure, and I believe one of the worst performing films in Ford's career, but I think they very nearly pulled it off. 

I've not read the book but the film plays it's story beat very safely, a very predictable tale that is nice to see but never challenges and never succeeds in exploring the emotional range or depth that I suspect the book did. 

A nearly good, but not quite. 

2/5

The Suicide Squad 

John Cena and Margot Robbie light up another successful superhero film by James Gunn. Both roles stick out amongst the other ho-hum

characters, including Idris Elbas generic soldier and the films quirky character I can barely remember. 

Compared to the original S Squad this is a masterpiece. It's an improvement on every level. It's also an improvement over almost every other DC film, but i think the MCU have spoilt me with superhero films. 

It's not that all Marvel films are better, far, far from that, but unless the film is outright excellent I feel I'm wasting my time watching something that isn't connected to a bigger ark.  I only get this feeling with superhero films, and I definitely felt it here. 

Still, it's quite funny and kept me entertained throughout. John Cena

3/5

The Green Knight

I had a night to myself and really wanted to give this a go following the fascinating trailer. 

My thoughts are confused. I didn't enjoy it much, despite loving the setting, the looks, and the ambiguity. Honestly, I found it dull. 

There were some moments of brilliance that I appreciated but it felt like a film for film students and critics to pour over. 

Ten years ago I would have been all over this, but these days I'm apparently after something a bit more engaging. 

It probably needs a rewatch to appreciate but at the moment I don't feel compelled to do so. 

2/5

Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes (2021)

Very difficult to review this without spoiling it silly but let's just say it's an aesthetically-pleasing gothic horror with a very 70s flavour, gets suitably intense. The soundtrack is a fantastic combination of original and period music. Plot-wise there's a gear-shift a way into the film which was very well done, it gets somewhat confusing after that, well, freaky, although I guess that's half the point. However, it doesn't really matter because it looks and sounds fantastic. Yeah, certainly more successful technically and astehteically for me.

3/5

Suicide Squad (2016)

(Finger on the pulse, as ever...)

It's not terrible, but you kind of get a sense of going through the motions at times, and compared with better superhero/supervillain films I need to be real. The main characters were enjoyable enough and the action was fun, but the runtime could have done with some trimming, or they could have had more interesting story beats in that runtime.

3/5

Bad Candy (2021)

It's a horror anthology set in a small American town on Halloween. Like any horror anthology it has good bits and bad bits. This one tends to cover up predictable or limited stories with lots of stuff like Halloween tat from the pound shop, fairylights and blood. Credit for covering a lot of ground, especially as it is on a budget. Some of the digital effects were a bit too cheap though, and whilst there was an alright twist at the end it was overall a bit all over the place and pretty obvious. And I do like normal credit rolls as they signal I can relax and digest what I just watched. The credit roll here had more effort put into it than necessary. Just a pet peeve. Watch Trick r Treat if you haven't.

2/5

Phantom Of The Mall: Eric's Revenge (1989)

One of those does-what-it-says-on-the-tin sort of films, delivers late-80s cheesy horror thrills, quality setup, some good kills, a sort of car chase around a car park and some explosions. Morgan Fairchild brings the 80s galm with huge hair and of-its-time attire. It's not a classic by any means, there's not much to make it stand out yet it offers up just enough genre action to make it worth watching.

3/5

Watched this via online FrightFest, newly-restored version. Not seen it before so can't really show how good a job they've done.