Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

29 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Sherlock Holmes : A Game of Shadows

Where to start, my favourite Hollywood blockbuster of the last 15 years. Downey clearly enjoying himself, Jude Law not being Jude Law, Moriarty full of menace and Stephen Fry calling his brother Shirley. I can even forgive it the bit of parkour hammered in which is a pet hate of modern film.

5/5 every time.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as the first film. I remember the interplay between McAdams and Downey Jr being a highlight of the first film, so killing her right at the start was a terrible waste. Also, fridging the love interest to motivate the main (male) character is a trope that needs to get in the sea.

The trope of dismissing my post with your uncalled for critique can get in the sea too. I posted a lighthearted review only to have you come in and tell me I was wrong and throw in a bit of look at me I'm so righteous codswallop. What was the point ? Other than to piss me off first thing in the fucking morning ?

The Blob

The original, not bad for a 50s sci fi horror with a young Mcqueen. Some decent effects for the time.

2.5/5

Derailed

Anniston and Owen in a decent thriller with excellent support from Cassel. Nothing even remotely original but it plays well apart from the saccharine ending.

3/5

The Empire Strikes Back

Is it as perfect as I think it is? How much does nostalgia play a part in my enjoyment of the film? A more than worthy sequel to one of the most important films in cinematic history. Its also utterly stunning in 4k.

5/5

Indiana Jones and the Temple of doom

I've gone back and forth on this over the decades. I've finally concluded that its brilliant despite a few mis-steps. An action tour-de-force that is thrilling from start to end with some amazing set pieces.

5/5

23 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Why remove 3 points? Kodama's too cute? 

Animation of too high a standard? 

Enquiring minds need to know. 

Weird shortcuts in crowd animation is one. Ashitaka is a twat is another.

The Limey (1999) Amazon Prime

Steven Soderbergh's understated revenge tale featuring Terence Stamp as a London crim avenging the death of his daughter who was involved with Peter Fonda's shady record producer character. The idiosyncratic editing soon clicks and this becomes an effective and low-key crime yarn, bits from the past and future mix with the present to elevate what is a pretty straightforward revenge story. The final section of the film is particularly effective, every shot counts, literally.  Soderbergh trusts the viewer to pick up on small details like shadows or characters at the very edge of the frame. It blends scenes from Ken Loach's 1967 film Poor Cow to good effect.  Maybe a case of style over substance but a simple story stylishly told.

3.5/5

The Toll

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6981064/

A darkly-comic thriller about a lone toll-booth operator with a past that is fast catching up with him. 

A Welsh film set in a small town where a toll-booth operator passes his days reading books and taking money from the few cars that pass through. It turns out he's on the run from *something* and when one of his old crew passes the toll his past soon catches up with him.

This tried really hard but never got going and felt like less than the sum of its parts, somehow. The cast are all good - Micheal Smiley and Annes Elwy especially - it uses the isolated location well, has a nice Calixico-esq soundtrack and is only 80 odd minutes long. But the plot is a real mess and the story is told in a weird, chopped chronology style that makes it hard to follow. I think it was going for a Shane Meadows meets the McDonaghs meets Tarrentino vibe but falls way short.

2/5

Watched two crackers on MUBI last night:

Brother - 4/5

A young lad gets out of the Russian army, and heads to late Nineties St Petersburg for a fresh start with his brother, who ropes him into the local hitman trade.

This is a delicious slice of city life, really quite grimly jolly as fresh-faced Danila alternates mercilessly whacking skells with exploring the burgeoning Russian folk pop and house scenes. Top stuff.

New Order - 5/5

This is a different slice of city life altogether. It’s a contemporary Mexican flick centring on a high class wedding subsumed by a social uprising, where things get very bad very quickly for everyone.

This is as brutal a piece of cinema as you are ever likely to see, and if you don’t mind being thoroughly depressed by the inevitable truth of the political message, it’s a spectacularly compelling watch. Riveting from start to finish.

On 11/09/2021 at 00:04, cassidy said:

Why remove 3 points? Kodama's too cute? 

Animation of too high a standard? 

Enquiring minds need to know. 

I should have given it 5, 4 is average, it's good not average.

I couldn't attach myself to any of the characters and found the conclusion a bit unsatisfying.

Edit: @cassidy
I don't dock points for faults.
7 - An exceptional piece of art everyone should see.
6 - excellent, you should see this film
5 - Good, don't seek it out but if you watch it you'll enjoy it

4 - it's ok, if you don't see it youre not missing anything

Etc.

Terminator Genisys - 1.5/5

I'm a massive terminator fan but this is only the second time I have watched this. I will give it some credit in saying the opening part with the T-1000 is great. 

But the rest is a mess and it makes no sense in the timeline whatsoever. 

Thank fuck Dark Fate makes it non Canon and obsolete. 

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

Watched two crackers on MUBI last night:

Brother - 4/5

A young lad gets out of the Russian army, and heads to late Nineties St Petersburg for a fresh start with his brother, who ropes him into the local hitman trade.

This is a delicious slice of city life, really quite grimly jolly as fresh-faced Danila alternates mercilessly whacking skells with exploring the burgeoning Russian folk pop and house scenes. Top stuff.

New Order - 5/5

This is a different slice of city life altogether. It’s a contemporary Mexican flick centring on a high class wedding subsumed by a social uprising, where things get very bad very quickly for everyone.

This is as brutal a piece of cinema as you are ever likely to see, and if you don’t mind being thoroughly depressed by the inevitable truth of the political message, it’s a spectacularly compelling watch. Riveting from start to finish.

What’s MUBI?

It’s well worth investigating, I had it for free for a year from some link off here and I’ve kept up the sub (a tenner a month), they have stacks of stuff you don’t see elsewhere.

On 06/09/2021 at 20:33, ZOK said:

I’m sure you’ll all love it, it’s a cracking little doc.

And it makes a fine companion piece to the other lovely farmhouse studio documentary, ‘Rockfield: The Studio on the Farm‘.

I wonder if there are any others?

Muscle Shoals is a good doc along these lines - recommended if you’ve not seen that one. Features some amazing musical performances. 

Kate (2021) Netflix

At the risk of damning this with faint praise this was decent enough, good, varied action with some nice touches, some humorous. The neon-night Tokyo backdrop is always going to look inviting. Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Kate looked suitably wrecked all the way through; I was afraid it would be one of those cases where they go "I've been poisoned" and cough a bit now and again but are otherwise fine, thankfully her condition was a big part of the story. It's predictable, follows a similar path as John Wick. It's not bad.

3/5

An American Werewolf in London 

Like a fine wine, this has only improved with age. For such an old film it feels incredibly modern. It’s an absolute masterclass in efficient movie making. Not a single scene is wasted or goes on too long. It’s a cracking plot with great performances and a brilliant script. And the effects. Wow. 

5/5

Wolves. 

A daft romp, but everyone involved is having an awful lot of fun and it shows. I’ve yet to be convinced by Momoa but he relishes the role here. It’s like a 15 rated Twilight but with more fun. 

3/5

Cloud Atlas - Blu-Ray

Spurred on from the new Matrix trailer I thought I return to this and give it another go. It's impressively made, but in film the constant fliting between sequences doesn't build any kind of suspense or immersion, probably works as a book but not a film

3/5

Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan - Blu-ray

I'm not a huge Trek fan, but this is the Empire Strikes Back of the Star Trek films. I remember seeing this at the cinema and clearly remember one kid crying on the way out, his dad unable to console him. The film is terribly out of focus though for the most of it.

5/5

God's Pocket (2014)

This felt like a dark, dryly-comic farce, blended into a slice-of-life drama, difficult to pin down. In one of his final films Philip Seymour Hoffman does a decent enough job as the downtrodden husband and father dealing with the aftermath of his son's death. The 70s period is rendered well, maybe a more romanticised view of a working-class neighbourhood to be fair. The tone won't chime with everyone, by all accounts it's a bit of a Marmite film. Personally I quite enjoyed it for the dry, black comedy.

3/5

Watched this on the Arrow Video streaming service. Giving their 30-day trial a go. They seem to have a good selection of genre films on there.

https://www.arrow-player.com/browse

Kate - 2/5

Shite by the numbers action film that I have seen many times before I'm sure. Predictable, forgetable and dull for long moments. 

Some competent action scenes can't make up for a complete lack of creativity. 

Could have come from the cutting room floor of an early 2000s action game script and storyboarding session. 

Grosse Point Blank - 4.5/5

Still brilliant 23 years later. Sharply written, great performances, darkly funny, sweet, with a brilliant soundtrack. 

Also has one of the greatest one on one fight scenes committed to film. 

Nueve Reinas/Nine Queens

Argentinian conman movie. You know how these go, and this one's a solid one. Low-key and personality-driven, just like a good con. Christ though, the year 2000 looks like a million years ago. 

3/5

On 11/09/2021 at 20:44, Vimster said:

Kate (2021) Netflix

At the risk of damning this with faint praise this was decent enough, good, varied action with some nice touches, some humorous. The neon-night Tokyo backdrop is always going to look inviting. Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Kate looked suitably wrecked all the way through; I was afraid it would be one of those cases where they go "I've been poisoned" and cough a bit now and again but are otherwise fine, thankfully her condition was a big part of the story. It's predictable, follows a similar path as John Wick. It's not bad.

3/5

I thought I could actually smell her at one one point, but the dog had simply shit in the hallway. 

Chocolat

Saw it a few years back but watched it again with the mrs and kid. Remembered most of it but overall its a very nice and sweet film to watch besides the odd moment of mild peril.

Demolished a block of Fruit & Nut though.

4/5

On 05/09/2021 at 21:03, Ry said:

Worth - 3.5/5

Great drama starring Michael Keaton about the 9/11 victim compensation fund. Solid performances and a bit heartbreaking at times. On netflix now. 

Watched that last night, and it wasn't too bad. Bit too generic for these types of biog films at times, but Michael Keaton's performance is excellent – playing a generally well-meaning technocrat who doesn't have the emotional intelligence to be a politician.

On 10/09/2021 at 23:42, Couch Corpse said:

Princess Mononoke - 4/7 5/7

See, that's one I'm still putting off in my Ghibli watch-through. It's sort of the anti-Nausicaä, or what the Nausicaä anime film would've been like had it been made after the increasingly-nihilistic manga had concluded. Sort of.