Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

So Gylenhaal's The Guilty is basically a shot for shot remake of the original. Same story, same script bar one moment.

Luckily it's a banger of a film, so doesn't matter if you watch this or the Danish original. He's fantastic, as per.

Comes to Netflix in a few weeks.

Pizzloatto (True Detective) screenplay and Fuqua (Training Day) directing.

5/5

I think I saw The Guilty at the cinema years ago, is that the one about a bunch of soldiers in Afghanistan or somewhere and there’s a trial for some reason? I remember liking it a lot, although I can’t remember anything about it now!

18 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think I saw The Guilty at the cinema years ago, is that the one about a bunch of soldiers in Afghanistan or somewhere and there’s a trial for some reason? I remember liking it a lot, although I can’t remember anything about it now!

That must be Jarhead, I would think?

Thrashin' - 2/5

A young Josh Brolin stars in a skateboard turf war following a very generic 80's storyline. Starts off at a decent pace but tails off in the last half. Soundtrack isn't all that bad though, and an early-ish performance from RHCP in a club may be of mild interest.

52 minutes ago, hmm said:

That must be Jarhead, I would think?

No, it turns out it was A War from 2015, which has a plot nothing like The Guilty at all! Nice little movie:

On 13/09/2021 at 16:16, Protocol Penguin said:

See, that's one I'm still putting off in my Ghibli watch-through. It's sort of the anti-Nausicaä, or what the Nausicaä anime film would've been like had it been made after the increasingly-nihilistic manga had concluded. Sort of.

I listened to the Nausicaä episode of the Ghibliotheque podcast* a few days ago. They made a lot of comparisons between Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke, largely viewing the earlier film as a rough draft for ideas that were later explored with more refinement and complexity in Mononoke.

* They've got a book out!

9 hours ago, phresh said:

Thrashin' - 2/5

A young Josh Brolin stars in a skateboard turf war following a very generic 80's storyline. Starts off at a decent pace but tails off in the last half. Soundtrack isn't all that bad though, and an early-ish performance from RHCP in a club may be of mild interest.

Who's RHCP? I've been trying for ages to figure out who it could be, to no avail. I even went to IMDB, but I can't even see anyone in the cast with those initials.

Not really watched anything standout recently, bought a nice artbook on anime cityscapes and went through a few titles it mentioned that were a gap in my knowledge.

• Patlabor (1989) and Patlabor 2 (1993) - Mamoru Oshii's missing link between Akira and Ghost in the Shell, this is going for a more grounded, contemporary blue-collar setting rather than a OTT cyberpunk vision, and er... it kinda suffers from feeling a bit vanilla as a result. If you kind of squint, you can see both of them as being the eventual influence for Ghost in the Shell, with the firsts Christianity references and the seconds political intrigue and post-war anxiety, but they're a bit too dull to recommend on their own. 1 (2/5), 2 (3/5)
  • Tekkonkinkreet (2008) - This film is just gorgeous and sumptuous stylistically, with this colourful faux-60s/80s/timeless city that's a character of it's own and a great soundtrack. The plot is about two urchins, one hardened and one innocent trying to survive on the streets and fending off gangsters on their turf, but half way through it takes a hard turn into the supernatural, when Satan turns up with a bunch of demons. The last act is just the 10-year olds running away while being graphically injured and murdered, which is really not pleasant to watch, and I kind of resent such a great looking film being anchored to this narrative, because without it I'd be raving about it. 3/5

The Guyver (1991)

Purely judging this on its own merits as I am totally unfamiliar with the idea's providence or the people involved, this was very silly, a dash of camp, the suits looked really good and there was plenty of fun fighting in lieu of anything else. It was a bit too goofy at times, it worked best when going for campily-serious and arch. Would have found this hilarious back then. A fun film, certainly.

2.5/5

Savage Three (1975)

Violent, unhinged Italian poliziotteschi that frankly doesn't mess about. You basically have three bored young guys in a spiral of increasingly violent thrills, and a wily old cop on the case. It gets more and more insane as it goes on, with some really twisted nastiness, the part with Joe Dallesandro and his wife near the end was especially cold. However, it's all backed up with a decent plot and a consistent tone. It's fair to say this is genuinely shocking in places, doesn't hold back on the violence.

4/5

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

What a fantastic film this is, moving and deceptively deep despite a simple premise. A man and his son search post-war Rome for a stolen bicycle without which he's unable to work, the family depend on it to survive. They roam the back streets, father getting into trouble as he becomes more desperate, his son Bruno often neglected actually and emotionally as his father tries harder. So many of the themes here have relevance today: people in poverty up against an uncaring system, people trying the best but ultimately powerless. The final scene is heartbreaking, by that point you've been through all the ups and downs, shared the increasing desperation. Awesome.

5/5

15 hours ago, Nick R said:

I listened to the Nausicaä episode of the Ghibliotheque podcast* a few days ago. They made a lot of comparisons between Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke, largely viewing the earlier film as a rough draft for ideas that were later explored with more refinement and complexity in Mononoke.

* They've got a book out!

BUT! For my money, Nausicaa is a better film. Less ponderous.

[REC] (2007)

It's a great combination of constant tension, expertly-handled chaotic scenes and effective jump scares that make this found-footage film total class. The sound in particular is fantastic. It may look chaotic on the surface but the way it brings things that happened earlier back shows how much care went into it. Hope you like a lot of screaming and panting though.

4.5/5

Confessions Of A Taxi Driver (1976)

It's amazing the sort of crap men would sit through to see a few pairs of boobs in the 1970s. And I'm not sure what's more embarrassing: Mind Your Language or seeing Barry Evans' cock.

2/5

The Holy Mountain (1973)

No, I haven't a clue either but by crikey was this a full-on experience, visually arresting, sumptuous production. I'll need to watch this a few more times to get anywhere near fully appreciating the themes. You don't need to ask why, just go with it. The ending, wow.

4.5/5