IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

22 minutes ago, Festoon said:

WARNING: RYAN MURPHY missing the archness of the original and exaggerating it to campness.

No, it’s just amazing - probably the best of his many great shows. And it’s the story of the making of the film, not a remake of it.

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

No, it’s just amazing - probably the best of his many great shows. And it’s the story of the making of the film, not a remake of it.

I meant the campness of reality!

But yeah, it is one of his better efforts.

The Guilty - 3/5

Just made me wish I had watched the original that someone else raved about in here. 

It wasn't terrible and Jake Gylenhall was as great as he always is but the writing and acting (voice acting?) from the other characters was just plain bad at times. Could have been so much better. 

3 hours ago, Ry said:

The Guilty - 3/5

Just made me wish I had watched the original that someone else raved about in here. 

It wasn't terrible and Jake Gylenhall was as great as he always is but the writing and acting (voice acting?) from the other characters was just plain bad at times. Could have been so much better. 

I adore the story, but the original has a much better ending. Love both but would always go original if asked.

The Departed (2006)

Scorsese remakes Infernal Affairs with a huge cast in a breakneck rollercoaster of twists, turns and swearing.  Di Caprio and Damon are really good in the duality of their roles as the cop/ gangster and gangster/cop. Nicolson is basically the devil and they all talk funny in Bostonian accents. Even Marky Mark is decent. It's no Goodfellas but it is a great Marty movie. Tons of Rolling Stones, some great humour particularly Alec Baldwin and the various henchmen. 

4/5

Dinner In America

Loved this. Deeply weird, almost confrontationally so at first, but stick with it because it's eventually so much more, not least due to the brilliant central cast.

4/5

The Many Saints of Newark

Obviously, you can't review this film without starting with "big fan of the Sopranos....", which I am.

And then you have to address the elephant in the room. All the trailers I saw painted this as an origin story for Tony Soprano. It's really not. It follows Dickie Moltosanti, father of the series' Christopher. And, while that had the potential to be quite interesting, it's just not. It's all just a bit dull and unfocused. Despite there being what should be some seriously momentous erm... moments, it was all just really boring and it felt like nothing happened throughout. There never seemed to be any connection between the characters, especially Tony and Dickie, which kinda the whole point of the story, I think. And there's just too many characters, mostly squeezed in to go "look it's young ..."

Has some great performances, though.

2/5 your sister's cunt!

The joker. 

Finally relented and watched this. I think I brought too many preconception to the party because I just found it annoying. To me it was just an incels wet dream, the whole "it only takes one bad day to turn a good man evil" falls apart if the character we follow isn't at least worth saving to begin with. Arthur was just an irritating, self deluding creep. 

And I had to watch yet another batman murdered parents scene. This time I didn't give a shit about Bruce because they'd painted his father out to be a total bastard. 

In the end the joker wasn't psychotic enough or insane enough or brutal. He was just a guy that laughed at the wrong moments in life. And didn't have enough cards to explain that. 

1 red nose out of 5 

But I do understand why some people like it. 

Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) - I remember my parents watching this and recommending it, but forgot the name of the movie until a bit of internet serendipity. So twenty years later I watched it and it's pretty good! Some early 00s bad CGI and over-the-top fight choreography, but it's all a part of the charm. 4/5

Near Dark (1987) - Sticking with the Halloweeen theme, this is the vampire movie with half the cast of Aliens in it. Bill Paxton has great fun as a villain, and the movie is actually really good and comes across as way more mature than most vampire movies by dint of being about regaining your humanity rather than loving the edgy power fantasy. 5/5

Been waiting for both of these to be viewable and both didn't disappoint. 

Another Round - Mads is having a mid life crisis, as are his friends so they decide maintaining a blood alcohol level of 0.05% constantly, is the way to fix this.  Made me laugh, well acted, and had a point.  4/5

Riders of Justice - Black as pitch comedy, I'm not spoiling this at all. Another well written and acted delight. All of the main cast were superb.  5/5

The Many Saints of Newark - 3/5.

A bit of a wasted opportunity and a tad disjointed. 

Great performance by Vera Fermiga and Allesandro Nivola. 

Dune - 3/5

I’ve neither read the book, or seen Lynch’s version, so had next to no expectations going in. On the plus side, it looks spectacular, with every cent of the budget visible on screen. Solid performances throughout too, I just found it all a bit emotionally cold.

Admittedly, that may well be the point, and Villeneuve is too good a director to not do such things deliberately. I can’t speak of the lore or how well it captures such things, but everything made sense if that helps?!

Enjoyable, very enjoyable in places, and it’s great to see a big old slab of thoughtful sci-fi in a cinema.

The Living Daylights (1987)

It's a strange thing that despite Bond films generally having tons of memorable moments, some that have entered into pop culture, I honestly couldn't bring to mind anything about this one. The plane fight, easily the best part of this film, did job a memory though. Dalton's Bond is a lot less suave than Moore's, he's steely and determined, the quips are delivered with a cold wit, his seduction technique seems to be almost entirely based on the looks he gives. Maryam d'Abo doesn't get to do much as the Bond girl here. It has all the elements, the action is there, it it just lacked something. The climax was anticlimactic compared to most Bond films too. Not classic Bond but entertaining enough.

3/5

Security (2017) Netflix

Antonio Banderas vs Ben Kingsley in what is actually an effective straight-to-video cheap-n-cheerful bit of action that works because it sticks to a simple idea and largely makes the most of it. It's essentially Assault On Precinct 13 but in a shopping mall with a few security guards and a girl who will testify against some gangsters, the heavies are trying to get her. Cue a surprising amount of good ideas, the mall setting is used to good effect, with full use of the various stores and whatnot. Banderas is just right, certainly better than a lot of the low-grade stuff he's been involved in at this point in his career. Ben Kingsley is a quality pantomime baddie, just arch enough, can't quite figure out if he's doing a Welsh accent though. If you keep your expectations low, and like a bit of predictable action with some neat ideas you'll enjoy this.

3.5/5

Phantasm 2 - 4

I feel like I've lost touch with horror the last decade or so. My ex hated them and refused to watch any. Plus I was always a casual fan of the genre at best so just drifted away. I used to like watching an old favourite around Halloween but that was about it.

My plan to fix this is get Shudder and watch at least one horror film a day for the rest of October. It had to start for me with Phantasm 2. One of my absolute favourite horror films which I haven't seen in probably 20 years. The tall man, the spheres, 4 barrelled shotguns, a bunch of nods to Sam Raimi. Total cheese but a fun start and got me in the mood for this. 

Want to try and do a mix of classics I've seen plus some I may have missed. Also some more recent films. I'm not very good at reviews but noting them down here will keep me motivated. Looking forward to this. A recent one up next.

Voyagers - 3.5/5

A generation ship heading a group of young adults on a 86 year voyage to find a new home for humanity, encounters problems when the passengers realise they are being drugged to supress their shall we say baser emotions.  Basically Lord of the Flies in space, and entirely watchable because of it, as Lord of the Flies is such a great idea in the first place.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Phantasm 2 - 4

I feel like I've lost touch with horror the last decade or so. My ex hated them and refused to watch any. Plus I was always a casual fan of the genre at best so just drifted away. I used to like watching an old favourite around Halloween but that was about it.

My plan to fix this is get Shudder and watch at least one horror film a day for the rest of October. It had to start for me with Phantasm 2. One of my absolute favourite horror films which I haven't seen in probably 20 years. The tall man, the spheres, 4 barrelled shotguns, a bunch of nods to Sam Raimi. Total cheese but a fun start and got me in the mood for this. 

Want to try and do a mix of classics I've seen plus some I may have missed. Also some more recent films. I'm not very good at reviews but noting them down here will keep me motivated. Looking forward to this. A recent one up next.

I remember as a kid my grandad taking me to see the Special Edition of Close Encounters at Lyme Regis cinema, and for some reason they showed a trailer for Phantasm.

I was practically struck dumb with terror by the end of the trailer, while my grandad simply observed ‘what a load of crap!’

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I remember as a kid my grandad taking me to see the Special Edition of Close Encounters at Lyme Regis cinema, and for some reason they showed a trailer for Phantasm.

I was practically struck dumb with terror by the end of the trailer, while my grandad simply observed ‘what a load of crap!’

Funny I remember as a kid being up later than normal and seeing a few clips of Phantasm 2 being reviewed on Film 80 something with Barry Norman. I was haunted from what I saw and remember the tall man being terrifying. 

I'm pretty sure Barry's review was basically "what a load of crap".

Hehe, I’ve never seen them so I don’t know if the assessments are accurate.

Now I think about it I’m sure at the end of the trailer they said something like ‘if this doesn’t scare you, you’re already dead’, which is probably what caused my grandad to chip in!

Host - 3.5

Short at 50 minutes but uses its time very well to build the tension. Had some great scares and creepy scenes once it got going. Plus a few ridiculous funny ones. Interested to see a making off now as it was done during the lockdown and low budget.