IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 09/10/2021 at 20:41, Vimster said:

The Living Daylights (1987)

It's a strange thing that despite Bond films generally having tons of memorable moments, some that have entered into pop culture, I honestly couldn't bring to mind anything about this one. The plane fight, easily the best part of this film, did job a memory though. Dalton's Bond is a lot less suave than Moore's, he's steely and determined, the quips are delivered with a cold wit, his seduction technique seems to be almost entirely based on the looks he gives. Maryam d'Abo doesn't get to do much as the Bond girl here. It has all the elements, the action is there, it it just lacked something. The climax was anticlimactic compared to most Bond films too. Not classic Bond but entertaining enough.

3/5

Best love story in a Bond movie.

26 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Best love story in a Bond movie.

Well Bond did feel genuinely concerned for her, and everyone around him assumed he was just after a shag as normal. Her role just felt a bit light to me.

The Cabin in the Woods

Hasn’t really aged well and if you told me the annoying jock character would go on to star in the biggest films of all-time I would think you were crazy.

2/5

Poltergeist(1982)

It’s far more silly than it is scary and it just feels more like a sc-fi film than a horror one.  The effects still look pretty good though considering when it was released.

2/5

To Die For (4/5)

I'm quite partial to films that do the semi-documentary style of interviews interspersed in the main story so this was right up my street. Some good performances and an all round enjoyable black comedy. My memory might be failing me but has a similar feel to the likes of Heathers or Election (both great as well).

Intruder - no rating

Shudder was a total let down here. Its a well regarded 80 slasher I'd never seen. Shudder are showing the edited version, which they don't mention and which I didn't realise till way to late.

If you take out the gore of an 80's slasher its going to hurt it. I've gone on YouTube to fill in the blanks and its a shame as the effects are great and would have changed the viewing. Shudder boasts about being uncut so this was very annoying.

2 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The Lighthouse (now on Netflix)

Too vague to make anything of it - but great performances

2/5

A friend asked me to describe this film as all I could think of saying was it was a film that was utterly compelling to watch….once. I’m not sure I could sit through the heavy sense of dread running through that film. 

Definitely a good film….just not the easiest watch. 

Dune (1984)

Watched this with my mum and brother, who inexplicably hadn't seen it before. All of the flaws are still there: a solid first half doesn't so much segue as crash into an incredibly rushed second. The all-white cast is actually a little grotesque. The action sequences are... not Lynch's forte. Jessica in full 'damsel in distress' mode is jarring and undermines her character. The climactic downpour is too obvious a choice, made more frustrating by it being one of the (surprisingly few) outright divergences from the novel. Both relatives rated it a 7/10.

Fortunately for me, I'm extremely shallow and love the sets, costumes, paintings, effects, ideas, actors and even the voiceovers enough to override any other concerns.

5/5

Dawn of the dead remake

I kind of liked this on release and even thought it might be slightly better than the night of the living dead remake.

On a rewatch it has aged very poorly , worse than the night of the living dead remake and way worse than the original film.

just compare the passage-of-time montages! Dawn did them perfectly , a mix of desperation, loss of humanity and passion. The remake’s are tawdry, nonsensical, and fail to impart passage of time.

zombie baby! Stupid dog plot lines! People doing things for no reason! No motivation other than get to next cool bit.

it is lazy shite with a good opening (which still needs trimming!) 

2/5

id rather watch any of the 2nd dead trilogy from Romero! 

12 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I remember liking both of these, I may have to give them a rewatch. 

Night of the Living Dead remake is a great homage to the Romero original. Probably a bit too faithful but as a love letter to the original it is great. Tony Todd is fantastic as is Patricia Tallman who utterly subverts the part of Barbara brilliantly. I think it is only avaialble on IMDBTv at the moment (whatever that is I can't keep up with all the streaming options now).***

Dawn of the Dead remake is utter nonsense schlock written by a hack* and directed by a hack

*yes I know Gunn shits rainbows in some people's eyes but in this film he just shits 😛

***EDIT - apparently IMDBTv is included with amazon prime as a quick search for it on prime video showed it was free

Halloween Kills - em?/5

Is this a comedy? If so it's a solid 3/5. Got a handful of laughs from me

If it's meant to be taken as a serious horror/slasher film then it's a 1/5. 

The tone is a mess. Not seen anything like it in decades. Is it a spoof? If its trying to emulate 70s and 80s slasher films then they missed every beat and were clueless. Every single thing about it is atrocious Only decent thing was John Carpenters score. 

Laughably bad. 

License To Kill (1989)

Definitely enjoyed this more than The Living Daylights. It's essentially what Bond did on holiday, as if someone did a standard American action film of the time and for whatever reason make James Bond the good guy to the point where when M and Q turn up they feel almost like an intrusion. Robert Davi is the perfect bad guy in this situation too. Is it a Bond film though? It does feature my favourite Bond theme though, properly epic stuff made even more so by Gladys Knight.

4/5

Goldeneye (1995)

This Bond has a great deal, from Sean Bean's Alec Trevelyan to comic relief from Alan Cumming as Boris, a resourceful, no-nonsense Bond girl in Natalya to a properly dangerous femme fatale in Xenia Onatopp, cold war hangover plot, exotic locations, stuff exploding for no reason, and a genuinely gripping fight at the end. There are enough films spanning enough time for people to have an idea of their Bond and what that means, but it would be hard to deny how much fun Goldeneye is. There's a nod to Bond's character flaws brilliantly delivered by the then new M, Judy Dench, although to be fair they didn't really follow though on that. Brosnan didn't seem quite as slimy here, there are a few well-timed double entendres and some 90s-style quips. It's debatable whether he moved the character that much forward though. You could argue the whole film is somewhat reliant on past films as a sort of shorthand, although it's important to note by this point post-modernism was becoming dominant, taking familiar elements and making something new. To be honest it doesn't take away from the pure enjoyment for me. It makes The Living Daylights look like a wet Sunday afternoon anyway.

4.5/5

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

Halloween Kills - em?/5

Is this a comedy? If so it's a solid 3/5. Got a handful of laughs from me

If it's meant to be taken as a serious horror/slasher film then it's a 1/5. 

The tone is a mess. Not seen anything like it in decades. Is it a spoof? If its trying to emulate 70s and 80s slasher films then they missed every beat and were clueless. Every single thing about it is atrocious Only decent thing was John Carpenters score. 

Laughably bad. 

Agree completely. Bizarre film. I'll probably give it 2/5 as I wasn't bored at least.

Circuitry Man (1990)

Quirky post-apocalyptic cyberpunk-noir? It certainly has all those elements. The humour did chime with me, as did the cast of odd characters. All that made up for a pretty simplistic pursuit plot that, for a post-apocalyptic film, at least didn't totally rely on a desert locale. Vernon Wells' Plughead is great, suitably creepy, the number of leads coming out of his head increasing as time goes on. Some great ideas, and definitely a bit of style here too in places. Gets a bit messy especially towards the end although I applaud director Steven Lovy for trying to at least to imbue the film with something. Your enjoyment will probably depend on how well you get the off-beatness of the setting and humour. It won't be for everyone.

3.5/5

Bad Trip on Netflix - 4/5

Gave this a watch after listening to Eric Andre on the Adam Buxton podcast. Really enjoyed it. Some much needed laughs throughout and nice chemistry between the leads.

Two wonderful treats on MUBI, together running for a grand total of twenty minutes:

I Like Life A Lot - 5/5

A work of touching beauty, this 1977 animation is the work of Roma kids illustrating their own thoughts on life. Breathtaking in every respect.

Scenes with Beans - 5/5

Another Seventies Hungarian animation, this is the stop motion tale of an alien bird investigating life on a planet populated by beans. But really they are human beans. Just amazing.

Ban The Sadist Videos (2005)

Documentary that covers the furore surrounding 'video nasties', starting off with the home video boom, the outrage whipped up by the likes of Mary Whitehouse, attempts to control what people could see via the BBFC, then the second half looks at James Ferman's time as the had of the BBFC and a fresh wave of outrage following the murder of James Bulger in 1993 and attempts to link that with Child's Play 3 in particular. It's amazing to think that we came dangerously close to having a bill and amendment passed that would stop people accessing 18-rated films normally. Good variety of voices here including those opposed to violent videos. From this distance the tabloid-fuelled sensationalism seems a bit quaint compared to our more cine-literate society now. Food for thought.

4/6