IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Black widow. 

I understand that quite few people didn't really like this. I don't understand why. 

But then, I bring a whole "lost family" thing to all the films I watch. For instance, the most powerful part of Dune for me is when Leto turns to his son Paul and says "whatever happens I am proud of you" I welled up. 

So films about family's, however dysfunctional always work for me. 

I loved Florence Pugh, I thought she was fantastic as the sarky younger sister puncturing the older sisters grandstanding. I loved the dad who wasn't the dad being not a dad and living a fantasy past but convinced everyone thinks he's fantastic.

And yes we all know what's going to happen later in endgame. But it didn't matter for me, because there's never really any jeopardy in these films is there. 

It's about how the heros escape, not will they escape. 

So I really enjoyed it. 

Ok, yes the CGI at the end was pretty bad and the end is quite hokey and blah blah blah.

But I'm always going to be a sucker for a family coming together film. 

4 fake family members coming together out of 5

Yeah Florence Pugh is ace. 

Future Force (1989)

It has some trademark low-budget flair as expected from a David A Prior film but not much else, sadly. David Carradine doesn't really work as the leading guy, I wasn't sure if he was going for minimal or zero effort. There's absolutely no chemistry between him and Anna Rapagna's Marion. The plot is suitably simplistic and is made up for by a couple of decent sequences. Worth it for the ending. I'm led to believe the sequel is significantly better.

2.5/5

Exorcist 3

Reminds me of the argument which is better, Alien or Aliens?. Exorcist is an outstanding film bit I love how Exorcist 3 is brimming with true wit and rich in tension and atmosphere. It doesn't need a jump scare, but it says "fuck it" and gives us the greatest jump scare of all time. Every time, I know it's coming, and I watch that whole 5 minute nurse station buildup and it still gets me.

5/5

Couple of good prison/crime dramas watched last week.

The Informer (Prime Video)

Joel Kinneman as an FBI informant in prison. far fetched in parts but still a decent story with some good acting all round. Solidly put together too. Some quality American accentwork by Clive Owen, as usual.

3/5

Shot Caller (Netflix)

This is the better of the two. A very good turn by Jaime Lannister, channeling Walter White as he plays a city trader hardened into a career criminal by the US justice system. Forced to do what he has to do to survive prison - you know the drill. Violent as hell in places and very gritty. Other than the accelerated timeline (it would have suited TV better than cinema), it feels quite plausible. This is also really well shot with some lovely wide angles that hammer home the feeling of isolation, juxtaposed against some super claustrophobic prison cell action. Good support from Shane from the Walking Dead, Master Ken from Enter the Dojo and The Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine from the UFC.

I really liked this - 4.5/5

Prisoners of the lost Universe 1/5

heres the poster. It’s the best thing about this film, which appears to be the product of someone who saw Flash Gordon and Hawk the Slayer, while drunk, and then tried to remake both. At the same time.

everything in the poster happens but… well, it’s easy(cheap) to DRAW something amazing. What happens on screen, not so much.

5E8D53A1-112E-4CE0-9FAE-12476FF49781.jpeg.43554d30b75163e875d9567f559dd52e.jpeg

The Color of Money
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090863/

Fast Eddie Felson teaches a cocky but immensely talented protégé the ropes of pool hustling, which in turn inspires him to make an unlikely comeback.

A sequel released 25 years after the first film, The Hustler. A baby-faced Tom Cruise is a super talented pool player who lacks the street smarts to make any real money from the game. Paul Newman takes him under his wing and tries to show him how to make some dollars while they travel across America to a big pool tournament.

This was pretty good but certainly not top shelf Scorsese. The leads are great and it's fun to see Tom Cruise relatively early in his career before he went supernova. There's some quality music choices ('Werewolves of London' is always a winner) and it has a real lived-in aesthetic in the shooting locations - pool halls, small towns on the slide and other slices of Americana. 

3/5

Dune
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy.

Didn't feel this at all. Long, dull and humourless - I'm not saying it needed C3P0 stumbling about the place cracking jokes but a bit of lightness would have helped. Some bits looked nice, the spaceship interiors and the costumes, but otherwise it was so drab to look at. The music could have been taken from any other Zimmer score and the sound mix was so bad I could barely hear some of the dialogue. 

The cast were fine although Zendaya was criminally under used. And it was a little sly having her on the posters and press tour only to get 5 minutes of screen time. 

1.5/5

(I haven't seen David Lynchs version, or read the book and I find Villeneuves films too cold to engage with. But I loved the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary from a few years back so I'm probably not the target audience here.) 

Not being able to hear the dialogue is why I'm reluctant to see this at the cinema unless I can find subtitle showings...which I can't. Just audio descriptions. I saw the 2014 Godzilla at the cinema with subtitles, although audio description too ~explosion~ which was a bit rubbish when you're trying to enjoy the spectacle. I didn't seek subs for that film, it was accidental. 

Not seen Lynch's Dune or read the book either. Pretty much every film I watch, if I can't read dialogue I'm not taking it in, it's not just the mix I expect from this new Dune making it harder. I watched The Revenant at the cinema and it was very effective but I don't think I got most of what Hardy was saying, not alone in that I guess. 

Think I've found some subtitled showings search engine, if it works...

The Changeling (1980)

George C. Scott plays a grieving composer who moves to a mansion in Seattle after his wife and daughter die in a roadside traffic accident. Shortly after moving in, he discovers that the mansion is haunted by the spirit of a dead child.

A downbeat, slow burning ghost story that gradually builds tension and doesn't ruin everything with jump scares or silly twists. Scott is great as the gruff, broken John Russell, who also refreshingly accepts the supernatural nature of his predicament almost immediately and embarks on a crusade to expose the sordid truth behind the child's death.

4/5

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

The Changeling (1980)

I watched this a few months ago too, and thought it was excellent.

Just finished Zombieland Double Tap (Netflix), expecting the absolute worst after what I'd heard and read about it but it was fine.  Just what I wanted going in. Loud, dumb, gory popcorn fun.

3/5

Till Death

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11804152/

**I'd normally copy the plot from the IMDB page here but I think it gives away one of the shocks. So try to avoid if you're going to watch.**

Watched this tonight on Netflix and thought it was pretty decent. Clocks-in under 90 minutes, Megan Fox is very good and there's some decent twists and gore. A small-scale, well constructed thriller. 

3.5/5 

Malignant 3/5

It gets a lot of love in the horror film thread but I was a bit disappointed by it. I think you have to set your expectations right before go in. The last 3rd of the film delivers some great over the top horror action but the film is not scary or tense and the acting is quite bad. 

Titane 5/5

I watched this after Malignant and the contrast couldn't be bigger. It's brutal, gruesome, extremely difficult to watch in places, but also strangely beautiful and the performance of the leading actor is just incredible. Best film I've seen this year and it will stay with me forever.

Lake Mungo 4/5

A ghost story made in the style of a documentary. I liked this a lot, it's a slow burn but tells a decent story in a believable way. Made me wary of looking in mirrors before going to bed :lol:.

One Cut of the Dead 4/5

Japanese film about zombies. Saying more would spoil it. Watch it if you like zombies and films I'd say.

On 25/10/2021 at 03:17, cassidy said:

The Trip - Netflix 

Norwegian movie with Noomi Rapace directed by him what did Dead Snow. 

If you like your comedy black and Gorey then I highly recommend this. 

A couple in marital strife head to their cabin for a weekend. Shit goes places. 

Not saying anything else but I loved this 

4/5 cos the signposting is a bit on the nose and it could do with a smidge more budget but me and the better half laughed out loud and would recommend it. 

Annoying that the fucking blurb gives away the first part, but cheers for the recommendation! This was really good, and now I think I need to watch Dead Snow now.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I first saw this about 20 odd years ago, when I was in my 20s. I enjoyed it but I don't think I really understood what it was about. To me it was a technicolour romp through the life and loves of an old soldier. Watching it now, when I'm in middle age I can see it's primarily about growing old. Something completely alien to me back then. Does anybody ever thing they're going to get old when they're 20?

It's a completely brilliant film of course. Very daring for the time, how many films made in the UK during World War 2 would have one of the main characters be a sympathetic German? 

5/5

Bride of Frankenstein - The iconic images from this film are stuff of legend. When we think of Frankenstein's monster, we think of the Boris Karloff in Frankenstein and this film. Watching it now, it does seem somewhat dated. The acting feels very theatrical. Which is understandable I suppose for a 86 year old film.  It is however absolutely hilarious, the plot follows directly after the 1st film. It turns out the monster and the Dr both survived. Just when Dr Frankenstein thinks he can retire;

Dr Frankenstein's old mentor Dr Pretorious looks him up and coerces him into creating the 'bride' of the title. A mate for the monster. The actor who plays Pretorious makes Quentin Crisp look like The Rock and is by far and a way the best thing in it. Back then audiences would not have been exposed to camp characters. And it's fun to let the actor let rip. Think Terence Stamp in Priscilla only more bitchy. 

4/5 

The Exorcist -  The 70s were undoubtedly the high point of American cinema, a time when studios made crowd pleasing films which were also artistically valued. Coppola had an unbelievable run of directing a sequence of films which were just absolute masterpieces (Godfather, Godfather 2, The Conversation. Apocalypse Now) and I'd put him 1st as having the greatest run of films but William Friedkin would be second. From the French Connection to The Exorcist to Sorcerer.  Each of those a genuine masterpiece and all completely different from each other. The Exorcist is probably the greatest horror film ever made.  Watching it now, it still has the power to shock those jaded by the schlocky horror films released nowadays which equate horror to gore.  Man I would have loved to have experienced this in the 70s.

5/5

Titane

This started off so well. It was shocking, brutal and unrelenting and I could understand why people were loving it...and then about 30 or so minutes in it became a different film and completely fell off a cliff. Wonderful performance by Agathe Rouselle but man alive did the latter half story in this film stink compared to its great opening. Its like Ducournau had two different ideas and then stitched them together.

Considering the plaudits I'd seen this getting, what a massive let down.

I'm giving it a 3/5, although the more I think on it, the more I'm starting to dislike it, so I'm gonna leave it at this and move on.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Titane

This started off so well. It was shocking, brutal and unrelenting and I could understand why people were loving it...and then about 30 or so minutes in it became a different film and completely fell off a cliff. Wonderful performance by Agathe Rouselle but man alive did the latter half story in this film stink compared to its great opening. Its like Ducournau had two different ideas and then stitched them together.

Considering the plaudits I'd seen this getting, what a massive let down.

I'm giving it a 3/5, although the more I think on it, the more I'm starting to dislike it, so I'm gonna leave it at this and move on.

I was the reverse. I liked the start, but wasn’t really sure where things were going. But I absolutely loved what the film morphs into.