IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

17 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Well that is weird and annoying.

I'm watching on the Apple TV app but will download it from LG too. It is a tad irritating as I can see the films after searching for them but am unable to play them (through Apple TV) but, yeah, I've just checked and they are playable via the website on the computer.

Yeah, the LG app is okay, but it actually devolved from a better version. You used to be able to just search for stuff, but now as you keep pressing down on the remote you get many different collections instead…I mean it looks cool, and it fits with their curated approach, but if you know a film is on the service but don’t know what it’s grouped under then god knows how you find it!

My tip is make sure you are subscribed to their emails and add anything you like the look of to your watchlist direct from there as they pop up, then you can always find stuff.

Oh I did get a free month for your sign up too, many thanks!

16 hours ago, Sane said:

Pusher III - 4/5

Last one in the trilogy. I enjoyed it a lot, but the second one is still my favorite (because I love Mads Mikkelsen). The entire trilogy is great, I'm definitely going to look up what else the director did.

Are you joking? Is this a beard?

12 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yeah, the LG app is okay, but it actually devolved from a better version. You used to be able to just search for stuff, but now as you keep pressing down on the remote you get many different collections instead…I mean it looks cool, and it fits with their curated approach, but if you know a film is on the service but don’t know what it’s grouped under then god knows how you find it!

My tip is make sure you are subscribed to their emails and add anything you like the look of to your watchlist direct from there as they pop up, then you can always find stuff.

Oh I did get a free month for your sign up too, many thanks!

Seems that is just a non user friendly app as, returning to the Apple TV app, all the films I had added to my watch list are now in a new row and available to play. Bizarrely confusing to use but got there in the end so thanks again.

Also, to keep things on track:

Pusher (1996) 5/5

Nicolas Winding Refn's debut and a fair way from the neon dazzle and synth cool of his recent output. This is a dark, gritty tale of Frank, a drug dealer who finds himself in a bit of a  pickle owing money to a badman after a busted deal. The increasing desperation as he seeks to right things for himself has an energy similar to Uncut Gems. But in Danish.

Mads Mikkelson is brilliant as Frank's buddy/henchman/sidekick Tonny but Kim Bodnia as Frank makes the movie with his understated but absolutely magnetic presence. Took me a minute or two to realise that it's the fella from The Bridge and he is just as good in this as he was in that bringing a real low key, James Gandolfini style, menace to the character.

There are two sequels lined up on MUBI so that is the weekend sorted...

14 hours ago, Sane said:

Timecrimes - 2/5

Complete rubbish. It doesn't do anything interesting with the concept and all the characters make completely unbelievable descisions all the time. 

Go back in time and stop yourself from making this post :quote:

The Conjuring 2.5/5

Thought this was pretty great for the first half, growing sense of dread etc, before becoming a farce with no scares and a very predictable outcome. Not a bad film with some very likeable characters, but Hereditary is better in every way. 

56 minutes ago, Sane said:

Maybe it's me. I was surprised I didn't like it, it gets good reviews on RT. 

Yeah only joking, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I love it, I think it builds both a good sense of dread and frustration at the main character being such a div.

Just now, PK said:

Yeah only joking, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I love it, I think it builds both a good sense of dread and frustration at the main character being such a div.

Yeah that's definitely true, I felt that frustration! I guess I was more hoping/expecting proper scifi concepts and mindblowing time travel paradoxes. I guess it's a case of going in with the wrong expectations.

Straw Dogs (1971)

The film's reputation still didn't prepare me for how brutal and nasty this was. The final act made up for what was at times a rather plodding set up, although it's one of those films where you reflect on it as a whole when done. Bit too cliche yokel at times too, like Peckinpah had been told about English country folk but never met any, but you could argue it's a contrivance that suits the situation. Best thing for me was the music which is outstanding and adds to the unsettling atmosphere.

3.5/5

Escape From The Bronx (1983)

Mark Gregory is back as Trash, this time getting involved in helping residents of The Bronx who are being forced out of their home by an evil corporation wanting to build the city of the future. Apparently this was billed as Bronx Warriors 2 in the UK, but it's a loose sequel at best, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was something else to begin with. The hardest-working actor in Italian cinema Henry Silva is Trash's nemesis. It's a dog's breakfast of a film, with stuff happening because it looks cool, messily exciting set-pieces all done to a cracking soundtrack. Some may be put off by the typical Italian production values but those used to it will feel right at home. Loved it.

4/5

I haven't posted in here for a while - but I just had to share my thoughts on THE WORST film I have ever seen, which my beloved fiancee forced me to watch on Wednesday night.  Behold:

Father Christmas is Back

This Netflix turd somehow manages to get worse with each passing minute.  It opens with the hammiest acting - performances that would genuinely make a primary school nativity blush.  

Then you realise the characters are as likeable as the love child of Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, despite a cast featuring John Cleese and Kelsey Grammer.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING, guys?  What made you sign up to this festering shittip of a movie?  How was it sold to you?  I can only imagine the individual who sold it to you could sell snow to an eskimo because even if I try to summarise this in the vaguest possible way, it still sounds awful.

Potential sales pitch 1: "Erm... it's a Christmas film"  (Disclaimer - this won't work with anyone normal because it's still fucking November.  My darling wife-to-be is clearly not normal as this was enough to convince her?)

Potential sales pitch #2: "Liz Hurley is in it" - okay - you know that Ms Hurley isn't exactly Judi Dench in the acting skills department?  Well - her usual standard of wooden-ness is about the norm for everyone else in this.  As for Liz's performance here - I've seen more convincing promises from Boris Johnson.

I can't think of anything else TBH.  FWIW it also stars Caroline Quentin and the lady who played Juno Eclipse in the Force Unleashed games.  Oh and the dude who played Colin in Love Actually.

So we've only just met these appalling characters and yet it STILL manages to get worse.  How can characters reduce in depth even when you've only seen them flash up on the screen once and they've not spoken any lines yet?  Erm... give them some lines.  And make them BAD.  Achievement unlocked - you've made an extra specially film even shitter than you thought it was possible to.

I'm going to tell you why this is calls Father Christmas is Back - because it basically tells the plot of the film without going into the details that will make your skin itch.  This horrendous family (honestly - I'd rather spend Christmas with Saddam, Uday and Qusay Hussain) are called the Christmas family.  And the father of the family (Kelsey Grammer - you fucking mug) left the family when his 4 daughters were young.  And he comes back.  For Christmas.  So he's Father Christmas (literally) and he comes back.  So: Father Christmas is Back.  The title of this film is actually the cleverest thing about it.  Speaks volumes.  Because it's a fucking shit title.

I'm actually not going to say any more about this film because it's made me genuinely angry.  I had to watch it on my lovely 55" LG C1 screen.  It was NOT made to endure dreck such as this, and I could have spent my time doing something more enjoyable such as a few rounds of Halo Infinite.  (Though in all fairness passing a kidney stone would have been more fun than suffering through this film).

Move over, Deck the Halls - your place as the worst Christmas film ever has been taken.  And adios, He's Just Not That Into You - I've found a far more objectionable flick.  And get fucked, Stourbridge Infant School Year 1 drama group - you're not the worst bunch of talentless thesps I've ever had to suffer through the performances of.

Father Christmas is Back has just taken whatever 'shittest film ever made' crown there might be out there.  I will never be able to look at Fawlty Towers or Frasier in the same way again due to the main stars in both being associated with this monstrosity.

0/5

It's on Netflix, by the way.  Just so you know where to avoid it.

16 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Is he? What has he done? 

He berates the youth for not finding racism funny anymore, etc, and says everything you would expect someone who thinks he should say that to say. He’s a scumbag.

Marriage Story

Avoided this one for a while. Odd movie really as the start point and end point aren’t where you would expect them to be. Intense performances by both Adam Driver and Scarlett Johannsen. 

Well worth watching as I was gripped all the way through but one that probably won’t get watched again. 
4/5

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Amazon are offering their add on movie channels at a sale price of 99p a month for 3 months until the 29th. Just signed up for MUBI so that I can watch Annette again (and loads of other great films on there). Think I’ll also do BritBox and BFI for a month or two as well. Might as well at 99p.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Amazon are offering their add on movie channels at a sale price of 99p a month for 3 months until the 29th. Just signed up for MUBI so that I can watch Annette again (and loads of other great films on there). Think I’ll also do BritBox and BFI for a month or two as well. Might as well at 99p.

Thanks. Just done it. Do you need a Mubi app to watch them or is it all via the Prime one?

Continued my film night with:

Adult Life Skills

i have a soft spot Jodie Whittaker.  Have to support that Huddersfield  accent. Found this surprisingly moving. Assumed it would be a light hearted dramady but ended up being a film drenched I sadness. 

4/5 - extra point for hometown bonus. 

21 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Potential sales pitch 1: "Erm... it's a Christmas film"  (Disclaimer - this won't work with anyone normal because it's still fucking November.  My darling wife-to-be is clearly not normal as this was enough to convince her?)

While I agree it's weird to watch a Christmas film in November, that's when all these got released:

Elf, The Santa Clause, The Polar Express, A Christmas Carol (the CG one), Jingle All the Way, Miracle on 34th Street (remake)

The odd one out is The Muppet Christmas Carol, because that was released in December.

The original Miracle on 34th Street was released in June! (And Die Hard, which as we all know is a Christmas film, was released in July.)

Venom 2 - 1/5 (or 3/5, I dunno)

It's shite, really shite, worse than the first film. But just like the first film, I was entertained. Tom Hardy is clearly having fun with it. 

It also made me laugh as Venom (who is also voiced by Hardy) sounds just like Auralnauts Bane at times. 😅

The writing and directing is all over the place. Some laughably bad choices where I thought "what is Andy Serkis thinking?" 

I was happy to see Stephen Graham, who I think is one of the best actors working today but it felt like he was in another movie. Like in a Fincher film or something lol. 

Encanto (2021)

Took the kids to see this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, it follows a fairly standard Disney pattern in places and you can see where its going to end up from the start, but the journey to get there is fun, with some surprises, full of great songs and wonderful visuals. The animation for this film is stunning, I was weirdly in awe of how great people's hair looked. Theres no villian in this, so that was a nice departure from the norm at least.

I liked the characters, especially the lead and the family dynamtic was really well done. With the story written by Lin Manuel Miranda, he said that he took a lot of inspiration and quirks from his own family and I think it really shows. I also enjoyed the house being alive and being its own character too, it was alot of fun. It's like Carpet from Aladdin, a silent inanimate object that comes to life with its own personality. It feels as much a part of the cast as the human characters do.

The songs are all written by LMM, so if you're a fan of his work, you should enjoy these songs too. The songs in this just cemented the fact that Raya was really missing them too.

It's an all Latinx cast, so there's wonderful representation here, something I think Disney are doing really well with right now. I listened to a wonderful interview with John Leguizamo on the Empire podcast this week where he talked about the need for more Lantinx representation in Hollywood and this film just further reinforced his point and how great their stories and culture can be. I think the one low point in this regard is that it was still directed by 2 white men.

But overall a really solid, fun Disney film which I think a lot of kids (and adults) will really enjoy.

4/5

On 26/11/2021 at 11:28, Boothjan said:

I haven't posted in here for a while - but I just had to share my thoughts on THE WORST film I have ever seen, which my beloved fiancee forced me to watch on Wednesday night.  Behold:

Father Christmas is Back

This Netflix turd somehow manages to get worse with each passing minute.  It opens with the hammiest acting - performances that would genuinely make a primary school nativity blush.  

Then you realise the characters are as likeable as the love child of Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, despite a cast featuring John Cleese and Kelsey Grammer.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING, guys?  What made you sign up to this festering shittip of a movie?  How was it sold to you?  I can only imagine the individual who sold it to you could sell snow to an eskimo because even if I try to summarise this in the vaguest possible way, it still sounds awful.

Potential sales pitch #2: "Liz Hurley is in it" - okay - you know that Ms Hurley isn't exactly Judi Dench in the acting skills department?  Well - her usual standard of wooden-ness is about the norm for everyone else in this.  As for Liz's performance here - I've seen more convincing promises from Boris Johnson.

I can't think of anything else TBH.  FWIW it also stars Caroline Quentin and the lady who played Juno Eclipse in the Force Unleashed games.  Oh and the dude who played Colin in Love Actually.

So we've only just met these appalling characters and yet it STILL manages to get worse.  How can characters reduce in depth even when you've only seen them flash up on the screen once and they've not spoken any lines yet?  Erm... give them some lines.  And make them BAD.  Achievement unlocked - you've made an extra specially film even shitter than you thought it was possible to.

I'm going to tell you why this is calls Father Christmas is Back - because it basically tells the plot of the film without going into the details that will make your skin itch.  This horrendous family (honestly - I'd rather spend Christmas with Saddam, Uday and Qusay Hussain) are called the Christmas family.  And the father of the family (Kelsey Grammer - you fucking mug) left the family when his 4 daughters were young.  And he comes back.  For Christmas.  So he's Father Christmas (literally) and he comes back.  So: Father Christmas is Back.  The title of this film is actually the cleverest thing about it.  Speaks volumes.  Because it's a fucking shit title.

I'm actually not going to say any more about this film because it's made me genuinely angry.  I had to watch it on my lovely 55" LG C1 screen.  It was NOT made to endure dreck such as this, and I could have spent my time doing something more enjoyable such as a few rounds of Halo Infinite.  (Though in all fairness passing a kidney stone would have been more fun than suffering through this film).

Move over, Deck the Halls - your place as the worst Christmas film ever has been taken.  And adios, He's Just Not That Into You - I've found a far more objectionable flick.  And get fucked, Stourbridge Infant School Year 1 drama group - you're not the worst bunch of talentless thesps I've ever had to suffer through the performances of.

Father Christmas is Back has just taken whatever 'shittest film ever made' crown there might be out there.  I will never be able to look at Fawlty Towers or Frasier in the same way again due to the main stars in both being associated with this monstrosity.

0/5

It's on Netflix, by the way.  Just so you know where to avoid it.

You’ve really made me want to watch this now. And He’s Just not that into you