IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

20 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Amazon are offering their add on movie channels at a sale price of 99p a month for 3 months until the 29th. Just signed up for MUBI so that I can watch Annette again (and loads of other great films on there). Think I’ll also do BritBox and BFI for a month or two as well. Might as well at 99p.

thanks for this heads-up. There’s loads on MUBI I want to see. Like…..

Censor 4/5

A companion piece of sorts to the equally compelling St Maud. Where that was an exploration of loneliness, this does the same with grief. Fantastic central performance from Niamh Algar who is quickly turning in to a real star. A beautifully sleazy turn from Michael Smiley too and the 80s set design is a real nostalgia hit. Recommended. 

….and Anette and High Life which I haven’t seen yet and then Petite Maman is on there in Feb so can catch that too. 

Spencer
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12536294/

During her Christmas holidays with the royal family at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England, Diana Spencer, struggling with mental health problems, decides to end her decade-long marriage to Prince Charles.

Kristen Stewart plays Princess Diana in this. I don't think you can call it a biopic instead it's set over the three days (24th, 25th and the 26th of December) of her last Christmas with Charles. It's structured a bit like the Steve Jobs film from a few years back. 

From the start it plays like a horror film - a beautiful, young woman trapped in an isolated gothic pile is psychologically abused by a collection of freaks. There's an anxiety-inducing, jazz score and the whole thing is lit by flickering candles.  

I thought this was really impressive. I've no interest in Diana or the Royal Family but I was fully invested in this. It's not exactly subtle, at one point she looks into the camera and says 'Do you think they'll kill me??' and we see her reading an Anne Boleyn biography multiple times. Kristen Stewart is very good, although her accents slips once or twice and the support (Sean Harris, Timothy Spall, Sally Hawkins) all put in good shifts. 

I got a bit emosh during the last few minutes.

Spoiler

Diana loads her sons into a sports car and 'escapes' from Sandringham. The Johnny Greenwood anxiety score falls away and she turns on the radio, 'All I Need Is a Miracle' is playing and the 3 of them belt it out before driving into London and getting KFC. Total fiction I'm sure but I got a bit misty-eyed. 

One of my films of the year for sure.

4.5/5 

Venom: There Will Be Carnage

(C&P'd from the thread)

This is not very good. Worse that the first, and I thought that peaked at 'ok' and went to hell at the end. The back and forth between Brock and Venom felt much worse in this and, as a result, I've had enough of that for one lifetime. 

I'm a big fan of the characters, but nothing matters in these films. And nothing's impressive. It just felt both very expensive and very cheap in all the worst ways.

1.5/5

Titane

I've been waiting for this one for what seems like forever. In Raw, Julia Ducornau proved she could do unsettling body horror, loose narrative and a surreal world surrounding them all. And she did again.

This turns up most of the elements of Raw: violence, disassociation and dreamlike qualities, but I don't think it's the better film of the two. It's more abstract and less rewarding, and just verged on silly in some places.

I still really enjoyed it though. It's an absolute trip and I'll watch whatever she does next.

3.5/5 

People Just Do Nothing: Big In Japan (2021)

If you enjoyed the TV series you'll love this. If you didn't then this won't change your opinion. And if you don't know what this is about then you can grasp the scenario although it helps if you know the characters already. There are some good gags, the whole culture clash thing works well, although I can't help thinking the view of Japanese culture is a bit 90s. Still, it cannot be denied this is entertaining, if a bit insubstantial.

3.5/5

The New Barbarians (1983)

Effectively the third in the series after 1990: Bronx Warriors and Escape From The Bronx, although links are extremely tenuous at best. Here we've move from ripping off The Warriors and Escape From New York to Mad Max, this set in the aftermath of the "nuclear holocaust" of 2019. There's an attempt at a plot but it doesn't really matter, there are bad guys, good guys, lots of vehicular combat in surprisingly nifty custom rigs, Fred Williamson is back although his character appears to be completely different, with an explosive infinity gauntlet. Typical Italian rip-off but it's never dull and delivers some low-budget thrills with a western-flavoured post-apocalyptic vibe. Prepare for initiation.

3/5

Nobody

Bob Odenkirk has a go at being John Wick, or probably more Liam Neeson in Taken Etc. A man who knows how to kill and hurt people but is retired, but ends up in a situation where he must use those skills once again.

Hard to score highly, but difficult to criticise too much when it is successful in what it sets out to do, which is put lots of violence onscreen with a seemingly unlikely protagonist. I can imagine this getting very positive reviews from some.

Nonetheless, 3/5.

I agree with that score too. Nothing groundbreaking but It is enjoyable to watch and I would watch again. 

Same sort of thing with Extraction. Standard rescue action flick but done very solidly and very well. Nothing wrong with films that do something well trodden if they do it well. 

21 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

thanks for this heads-up. There’s loads on MUBI I want to see. Like…..

Censor 4/5

A companion piece of sorts to the equally compelling St Maud. Where that was an exploration of loneliness, this does the same with grief. Fantastic central performance from Niamh Algar who is quickly turning in to a real star. A beautifully sleazy turn from Michael Smiley too and the 80s set design is a real nostalgia hit. Recommended. 

….and Anette and High Life which I haven’t seen yet and then Petite Maman is on there in Feb so can catch that too. 

Don’t bother with High Life, it’s terrible. On the other hand, make sure you watch New Order, it’s exceptional.

The House of Gucci - 3/5 (an actual cinema)

This is a funny old flick. There’s a lot to like, ie Gaga and Driver’s excellent turns as two of the main Guccis, and lots to deride, like Pacino and Irons’ terrible turns as the other two main Guccis. And lots that is squarely in the middle, like Jared Leto’s turn as a lesser Gucci, which is simultaneously the best and worst bit about the movie.

I’d say it’s worth a watch, but then it ends and you realise you sat in the cinema watching a story being told fairly incompetently for three hours, which you could have spent watching Dr. Zhivago instead, which is time never wasted.

To add insult to injury, they showed a trailer for Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story, which looks so awful, and is so clearly taking such a mystifying piss all over the memory of the greatest musical of them all, that you might wonder why you ever went out into the cold in the first place.

On 14/11/2021 at 22:13, Bazjam said:

I really loved Annette, very high up on my films of the year list. I only have a passing knowledge of Sparks and I’m now eager to know more, so will definitely check this out.

If you are still interested in Edgar Wrights "The Sparks Brothers" doc - I'm reliably informed it is on Netflix US - so VPN could be your answer

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

The House of Gucci - 3/5 (an actual cinema)

This is a funny old flick. There’s a lot to like, ie Gaga and Driver’s excellent turns as two of the main Guccis, and lots to deride, like Pacino and Irons’ terrible turns as the other two main Guccis. And lots that is squarely in the middle, like Jared Leto’s turn as a lesser Gucci, which is simultaneously the best and worst bit about the movie.

I’d say it’s worth a watch, but then it ends and you realise you sat in the cinema watching a story being told fairly incompetently for three hours, which you could have spent watching Dr. Zhivago instead, which is time never wasted.

To add insult to injury, they showed a trailer for Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story, which looks so awful, and is so clearly taking such a mystifying piss all over the memory of the greatest musical of them all, that you might wonder why you ever went out into the cold in the first place.

I saw this Friday and I thought the first half or so was a solid 3/5 and then it just dragged and dragged and dragged on to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

I don’t feel there was enough story to tell for the runtime and

Spoiler

They should have done a bit more  post shooting/created some sort of tension as to what would happen to Mrs Gucci and cut at least 30 minutes out.

House of Gucci - 2/5

Lavish, a handful of good performances but so, so shallow. Felt like the major plot points were taken from chapter headings, with no real drive or purpose between scenes.

As a result even Driver and Gaga’s efforts become a bit one note because there’s little emotional connection to be had with them. A huge disappointment.

PS - Jared Leto looks good for the Willie Thorne biopic though.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

I saw this Friday and I thought the first half or so was a solid 3/5 and then it just dragged and dragged and dragged on to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

I don’t feel there was enough story to tell for the runtime and

Reveal hidden contents

They should have done a bit more  post shooting/created some sort of tension as to what would happen to Mrs Gucci and cut at least 30 minutes out.

Yes, maybe I was over generous.

I think there probably was loads more they could have told but didn’t - for instance, the relationship between Patrizia and Pina the fortune teller was the most interesting thing in the whole flick, but it got about ten minutes. In a three hour film! Which still didn’t manage to cogently explain why much of what they did show actually happened.

No Time To Die

Watched this at the cinema.

If you're a fan of Bond/Action, it's a greatest hits of Daniel Craig. Mrs neoELITE loved it - 4/5 for her.

For me :hmm: 2/5. It's too long. The villain was a bit weak and I rolled my eyes at the parts that make me not like Bond films - an indestructible aging man who all the young ladies lust after. 

The plot was a bit on the nose too in places.

8-Bit Christmas (HBO MAX)

What I thought would be a 90 minute Neil Patrick Harris cringefest actually turned out to be a somewhat enjoyable nostalgia trip. 

I found the film to have a lacklustre direction and a stronger character building wouldn't go amiss but overall a rather watchable family flick with some really fun bits. My youngest kid loved it. 

The gamer in me would probably have liked even more about the Nintendo stuff but overall it was nice to see an actual gaming system being used in a film for once, I hate it when films do fictitious hardware. Not great but enjoyable. 

3/5

Petite Maman - 5/5

Go into this cold if you can, as the trailer and pretty much every review tell you far more than you need to know. It doesn’t ruin things, but I wish I could’ve gone in knowing nothing.

A beautiful film. Céline Sciamma is fast becoming one of my favourite directors.

Kermode’s already ruined it as it couldn’t possibly live up to the level of excitement he had for it. Or maybe it could, I’m looking forward to it nonetheless. 

Speaking of going in cold……

New Order

@ZOK kindly recommend this for me yesterday and so thought, why not, never heard of it but worth a punt. 

Turns out it is one of the most brutal and distressing films I’ve seen in quite some time. I mean, I read the blurb and wasn’t exactly expecting the Lego Movie but fuck me…

I liked it though. Veered a bit too close to exploitation and some heavy-handedness on occasion but ultimately it was well done with a couple of sympathetic leads and some great performances. 

3.5/5

House of Gucci

I thought this was very good, but overlong. TBH Pacino and Irons (two of my favourite actors) sharing screen time was more than worth the price of admission for me. Driver and Gaga are simply breathtaking (rarely have I been so wrong about an actor, but I hated Drivers performance in Force Awakens and wrote him off. Fast forward a few years and he’s the most interesting actor working today). 

Its bonkers, often slowly paced, fantastically shot and utterly nails the time period. The accents feel a little out of place in the modern era yet somehow they work perfectly. Scott can still deliver an interesting film and I’m quite enjoying this period of his career (certainly more so than his 90s output)

4/5 ( 3/5 from the wife, 5/5 from my daughter) 

17 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Kermode’s already ruined it as it couldn’t possibly live up to the level of excitement he had for it. Or maybe it could, I’m looking forward to it nonetheless. 

Speaking of going in cold……

New Order

@ZOK kindly recommend this for me yesterday and so thought, why not, never heard of it but worth a punt. 

Turns out it is one of the most brutal and distressing films I’ve seen in quite some time. I mean, I read the blurb and wasn’t exactly expecting the Lego Movie but fuck me…

I liked it though. Veered a bit too close to exploitation and speculative heavy-handedness on occasion but ultimately it was well done with a couple of sympathetic leads and some great performances. 

3.5/5

Kermode’s review was another one that gave away far too much. Just no need.

2 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Petite Maman - 5/5

Go into this cold if you can, as the trailer and pretty much every review tell you far more than you need to know. It doesn’t ruin things, but I wish I could’ve gone in knowing nothing.

A beautiful film. Céline Sciamma is fast becoming one of my favourite directors.

Yeah I reviewed it on my podcast this week and I felt myself just giving it away so had to reign it in. It's quite hard not to talk about it without mentioning the main premise. However it did elicite a great response from the other people on the podcast just talking about it.

I knew nothing about the plot before this last weeks Empire podcast, I just knew I wanted to see it based on Sciammas previous films. I don't think there's another director going that understands young people as much as she does. She treats them with so much respect and creates these gorgeous and tender films. 

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah I reviewed it on my podcast this week and I felt myself just giving it away so had to reign it in. It's quite hard not to talk about it without mentioning the main premise. However it did elicite a great response from the other people on the podcast just talking about it.

I knew nothing about the plot before this last weeks Empire podcast, I just knew I wanted to see it based on Sciammas previous films.

What’s your podcast. Like to give that a listen.

The American Friend (Wim Wenders - 1977) 4.5/5

Oozing with atmosphere and so masterfully shot, I love films shot on location and in a certain time and place and late 70's Hamburg and Paris are really something. A distinctive take on the film noir, the first hour is masterful, unfortunately the last 20 minutes leave a bit to be desired but definitely seek this one out it's worth it. Oh Dennis Hopper is in it too.

Snowtown (Justin Kurzel - 2011) 4/5

Fucking hell this one is dark but again a masterful piece of film making, watch it if you have a strong stomach for realist grimness. What's worse it's a true story which makes it and the characters even scarier.

The Beta Test (Jim Cummings - 2021) 3.5/5

If you saw Thunder Town you'd be familiar with the actor/director here. This is a fun piece of thriller and black comedy that feels more like an excuse for showing the marvellous range of Jim Cummings, like a modern, better Jim Carey. It's a wild ride.

The Last Duel -4/5

Really enjoyed this. It's beautifully made and shot (can see it getting an Oscar nomination) there's a shit ton of money on screen. Some strong performances most notably Adam Driver and Ben Afflecks smallish role. Pretty decent script as well (from Affleck and Damon)

It does have a bit of a lull and I was close to giving it a 3/5 but the very strong final third and duel were brilliant. 

The way it showed all 3 perspectives could have been trite and confusing but was well done.