IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

West Side Story.  Much better than I was anticipating. Veered from the saccharine to gritty. Great production values to match the location setting and the classic songs.  Dragged just a little, but a worthy update.  

3.5/5

I really enjoyed "Gone Girl" the other night.

It was just well made, throw away entertainment, so I looked up what else the guy had made, and I saw this.

I recognised the name and remember skipping it when it came out because I didn't think it was anything or anyone worth making a film about and just assumed I would hate it.

I can't remember who it was, but I remembered them saying that despite everything, the people involved had actually managed to make an entertaining film out of the whole thing, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I should have listened to my gut, because it just gave me a headache for two hours straight.
I hated everybody in it, and just found it all so flat and dull.
I was pleased when it was all over.

I have enjoyed a few films with Jesse Eisenberg in, but it's always been despite his presence, rather than because of it.

I've seen zodiac and really liked that. Thought fight club was overrated garbage, seven, was aaaalright. Alien 3 was alright. So he's a bit hit and miss for me, and this one was a big miss.

The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson - ***

10 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I've seen zodiac and really liked that. Thought fight club was overrated garbage, seven, was aaaalright. Alien 3 was alright. So he's a bit hit and miss for me, and this one was a big miss.

The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson - ***

Can we have Negs back please !!!

Fortress 3 (aka The Fortress) - 1/5 (screener)

Bruce Willis has ‘starred’ in three of these films. Three! He looks disinterested for the most part, and grumpy the rest of the time. This jungle-set action romp is 1h38m long but made Return of the King feel short. There’s a nice lady that warns a main character about insect bites in the jungle. A few scenes later she’s dressed like Lara Croft and doesn’t apply any extra insect repellent. None! Cryptocurrency gets a mention, I think it is the main plot but by that point I was questioning the point of my own existence. Ends on a cliffhanger. Guess I’ll be watching part 4 in a year or so. Fuck.

(#36/1000)

Uncut Gems

Second time viewing, this time on Criterion 4K UHD.  Still sublime - a landmark character study that sucks you into New York.

An easy 5.

As Above, So Below

A-Level quality writing and generally a bit shit, but a few nice ideas.  Might have been an interesting Lara Croft story?

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

IMG_14012022_234504_(1500_x_625_pixel).thumb.jpg.dadce78103f870561a99a9b01477b914.jpg

Fuck me, man, this is now 21 years old. Jesus, that's depressing.

Anyway, I hadn't watched it all the way through for about a decade so I bought the trilogy on fancy pants 4K Blu-Ray, and it looks magnificent, probably the best UHD BD disc I've seen so far. And as for the actual film, it really is still very, very good - the scenery, the action, the gravitas, the scale, the fucking music. So great. When it comes to big budget fantasy, I don't think anything has really touched it since it came out, not even GoT.

What especially struck me this time were two things. First, how well-paced it is. Granted, I only watched the theatrical cut, but for a three hour film it flies by and not a second feels wasted. Second, and this is a bit of a 'Well, duh' sort of point, but it's never truly occurred to me just how much Hidetaka Miyazaki was influenced by so much stuff from this film (and its sequels) when he and the From Soft team made the Souls games. I mean, in hindsight it's obvious, but there's so many parallels you can draw between those games and the world that Jackson and co. have created here.

Excellent. Looking forward to watching Two Towers, probably next weekend.

5/5

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

IMG_14012022_234504_(1500_x_625_pixel).thumb.jpg.dadce78103f870561a99a9b01477b914.jpg

Fuck me, man, this is now 21 years old. Jesus, that's depressing.

Anyway, I hadn't watched it all the way through for about a decade so I bought the trilogy on fancy pants 4K Blu-Ray, and it looks magnificent, probably the best UHD BD disc I've seen so far. And as for the actual film, it really is still very, very good - the scenery, the action, the gravitas, the scale, the fucking music. So great. When it comes to big budget fantasy, I don't think anything has really touched it since it came out, not even GoT.

What especially struck me this time were two things. First, how well-paced it is. Granted, I only watched the theatrical cut, but for a three hour film it flies by and not a second feels wasted. Second, and this is a bit of a 'Well, duh' sort of point, but it's never truly occurred to me just how much Hidetaka Miyazaki was influenced by so much stuff from this film (and its sequels) when he and the From Soft team made the Souls games. I mean, in hindsight it's obvious, but there's so many parallels you can draw between those games and the world that Jackson and co. have created here.

Excellent. Looking forward to watching Two Towers, probably next weekend.

5/5

We watched them again over the Christmas holidays. The first is still wonderful like you say. Sadly the pacing of 2 and 3 really let them down imo.

The King. Been meaning to watch this for ages and finally gave it the time tonight. 4/5 excellent film. It looks amazing, has great performances, the battle scenes were brilliant once they got going. It’s a slow burner but highly recommended. Great to see films like this still get made. 

The Ice Road (2021)

Liam Neeson does his blue collar hero thing, there's a bit of peril, some pointless corporate skulduggery, and trucks on ice. The truck bits are the best, everything else was undercooked. They go into all this detail about how driving on ice requires all this knowledge of speed and weight distribution then throw all that out of the window about half an hour in. If you really can't be bothered you could do worse filling 100 minutes.

2.5/5

Horror, but more of a crime mystery sort of thing.

Lad discovers an old tape of a broadcast signal intrusion, which is where people hijack a live broadcast for a little while to broadcast their own video.

He goes to some old fashioned BBS where people are nerdy about that sort of thing, and finds out that there are other tapes out there and he becomes a bit obsessed about tracking them down and decoding the little clues in the videos.

His lass went missing the day before the first broadcast and he becomes convinced that decoding the messages in the videos will lead him to find out what happened to her.

It has a nice cosey vibe to it. The guy who plays the lead overacts a bit too much. He'd be good if he toned it down a couple of notches, but other than that, yeah, it's canny. I enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch.

39 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Horror, but more of a crime mystery sort of thing.

Lad discovers an old tape of a broadcast signal intrusion, which is where people hijack a live broadcast for a little while to broadcast their own video.

He goes to some old fashioned BBS where people are nerdy about that sort of thing, and finds out that there are other tapes out there and he becomes a bit obsessed about tracking them down and decoding the little clues in the videos.

His lass went missing the day before the first broadcast and he becomes convinced that decoding the messages in the videos will lead him to find out what happened to her.

It has a nice cosey vibe to it. The guy who plays the lead overacts a bit too much. He'd be good if he toned it down a couple of notches, but other than that, yeah, it's canny. I enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch.

Thank you I'm in intrigued and gonna watch it. Appreciate the detail. 

The State I Am In - 4/5 (MUBI)

Very decent low key thriller about a seemingly average German couple in Portugal who happen to be terrorists on the run, with their 15 year old daughter in tow. Unfortunate resource events force their return to Germany, as the daughter finds their lifestyle increasingly at odds with her desire to be a normal teenager.

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

The State I Am In - 4/5 (MUBI)

Very decent low key thriller about a seemingly average German couple in Portugal who happen to be terrorists on the run, with their 15 year old daughter in tow. Unfortunate resource events force their return to Germany, as the daughter finds their lifestyle increasingly at odds with her desire to be a normal teenager.

Ooh I do love Christian Petzold's films, thanks.

20 minutes ago, Minion said:

Ooh I do love Christian Petzold's films, thanks.

I don't think I've seen any others of his - I did have Barbara on the list to watch but I'm not sure if Mubi still have it.