IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 23/01/2022 at 09:13, Fierce Poodle said:

The Alpinist

Anyone who enjoys rock climbing documentaries such as Free Solo and the Dawn Wall should check this out. Full of incredible shots that just make you shout “Fuck. Off.” at the screen.

4/5

Just watched this. Terrifying and beautiful. 

4/5

Dune. 2/5

You could intercut quite a lot of this into Blade Runner 2049 and not even flinch. As with 2049 it’s visually striking but as a film it’s a bit dull and about an hour twenty too long. 

Hans knocked it out the park with the soundtrack, easily the best thing about it.

DV made one of my favourite all time films, Sicario but since then he’s lost his way a bit imo.

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

There's always a fine line between ambiguity and JJ Abrams-style 'Can you guess my secret that I just made up lol?' non-storytelling.

But, in the end, even if Richard Kelly did have concrete answers, the audience isn't wrong if they enjoy it pretending it didn't. And maybe splitting it into extra content allowed him to have his cake and eat it. It's even possible that including the Philosophy of Time Travel as a booklet was forced on him by the studio or something.

No I don’t think so. The DVD extra with the pages came after the website. It’s possible he was behind the website idea but for me it sounds more plausible that it was a studio-driven marketing thing. 

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Dune. 2/5

You could intercut quite a lot of this into Blade Runner 2049 and not even flinch. As with 2049 it’s visually striking but as a film it’s a bit dull and about an hour twenty too long. 

Hans knocked it out the park with the soundtrack, easily the best thing about it.

DV made one of my favourite all time films, Sicario but since then he’s lost his way a bit imo.

Did you like Arrival?

On 05/02/2022 at 09:31, glb said:

Five in the bag today…

I don’t mean to sound glib but are you actually happy sitting through a load of films you rate so poorly? Seems less like enjoyment and more like a chore.

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

I myself have actually never given a film 5/5. I have been rating films on letterbox now for 4-5 years and the highest score yet remains 4/5. 

Lol. What are you waiting for? Canada: The motion picture…

Finally watched Ready Or Not.

I don't generally do horror but, well, I adore Samara Weaving so...

I loved it!! Darkly hilarious, not as gory as I was maybe expecting and didn't go where I thought it would 

4 dice rolls / 5 

9 hours ago, Festoon said:

Did you like Arrival?

I really wanted to, on paper it's right up my street. It is certainly imo a far better film than 2029 and Dune. It had some power to it, it made me quite emotional and sad. This is probably why I never rewatched it. 3 /5.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Lol, if you took an hour twenty of it, it would be a 75mins long film. Imagine trying to fit anything of Dune into that time scale.

You could fit half of it into 75 mins.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

You could fit half of it into 75 mins.

And it would be a worse experience for it. The book is so dense that DV even cut sections and still only managed to get half of the story into 2.5hrs. To suggest it should be a 75min film is just silly.

Sorry we missed you (2019)

This was on BBC2 last night (probably also on iPlayer now too). I missed the first couple of minutes so didn't know anything about it but became engrossed and then realised it was a Ken Loach film - fuck - I should not have watched this before bedtime.

Essential British filmmaking in the usual Loach style, that's your warning

4/5

Maps to the Stars
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2172584/

A tour into the heart of a Hollywood family chasing celebrity, one another and the relentless ghosts of their pasts.

This is a low-key thriller/psycho-drama about a Hollywood acting-family and the way their lives are upended when Mia Wasikowska arrives in town. She gets a job as a PA to Julieanne Moore. At the same time John Cusack plays a guru of sorts who's treating Moore.

Bit of a strange one this. The acting is mostly good with the exception of John Cusack who feels like he's walked in off the set of an differnt film. Julie anne Moore and Robert Pattinson are particularly good. The atmosphere is pure mellodrama with every character on edge the whole time and doing bizarre things. It looks really ugly and is lit like a tv show and the soundtrack is instantly forgettable. But having said all that it was definitley interesting and watchable. A minor Cronenberg for sure but one I'm glad I made time for.

3.5/5

The Predator (2018)

There's a lot of hate for this film, and I understand why, but I loved its silly over the topness. Personal stand out was, when the wife of the MC was asked what her husband was like, rolled off the kind of 14 year old wet dream resume that could silence any writers room. Just awesome.

4/5

House of Gucci -3/5

Entertaining and it looked absolutely gorgeous. But it was just missing something. Should have been so much better. It's well directed but all I could think watching was "this would be so much better if Scorcese was in charge"

14 hours ago, Mikes said:

The Predator (2018)

There's a lot of hate for this film, and I understand why, but I loved its silly over the topness. Personal stand out was, when the wife of the MC was asked what her husband was like, rolled off the kind of 14 year old wet dream resume that could silence any writers room. Just awesome.

4/5

😲

One of the worst films I have seen in recent years. I thought it was bad on every single level. 

Glad you loved it though!

Hitchcock Filmography Challenge - 2/53

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927)

I should preface this review by saying that I watched the BFI restoration rather than the original. The BFI version comes with a wonderfully cleaned up image that uses different hues for internal and external shots. This works very well and makes it much easier to see what's going on. I've seen parts of the original to compare and it's very hard to make things out, so this new, clearer image was very much welcomed.

Alongside the cleaned up image is also a brand new score, that's soul-stiring, playful and suspenful. I wasn't too keen on the modern love songs that got mixed in though, it just didn't fit the aesthetics of a silent film and took me out of the moment a little. The rest of it is fantastic though and it really feels as though Nitin Sawhney took inspiration from other Hitchcock films.

The film itself is a remarkable step up in quality from his last film, The Pleasure Garden. The difference between the two is night and day. Hitchcock comes across self-assured and way more comfortable in his directorial role with themes, ideas and shots that are so very Hitchcockian; for example the introduction of the lodger, the glass floor pacing, the wonderful over head stairway shot and the victims all having "golden curls" (perfect foreshadowing his troubling relationships with blonde leading ladies later in his career).

I never thought I'd enjoy a silent film this much and whilst it's quite a simple tale, I found myself utterly engrossed. Ivor Novello in the lead role is rather mesmerising and says so much with just his face and kohl-rimmed eyes. I've read he did a talking version of the film too, which I'm now keen to check out.

When I started the challenge of watching his filmography I was a little worried about having to watch so many silent films, especially after the first film wasn't great. But now I'm feeling way more upbeat about it knowing that I am able to actually enjoy silent films.

4/5

Next up, The Ring (1927)

Battle Royale

Just a hair’s breadth away from being a masterpiece, mainly due to the last 10 minutes ( the daft final death scene followed by a film that doesn’t know when to end ). Everything preceding this is a brilliant bit of film making (although I’m not sure it does a good job of explaining why BR exists in the first place). A film that quickly positioned itself as a must see and deservedly so. Very brutal in places, the film doesn’t pull any punches in its depiction of teenagers killing each other. Approximately 1 million times better than the overrated Squid Game this has amazing cinematography and editing as well as an accomplished young  cast. 

4.5/5

On 04/02/2022 at 22:57, Silent Runner said:

Donnie Darko
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

After narrowly escaping a bizarre accident, a troubled teenager is plagued by visions of a man in a large rabbit suit who manipulates him to commit a series of crimes.

This was one of those films that passed me by when it was first released and that I never got around to watching. I can see why it became such a favourite of teenagers and why it has such a cult following. While watching it I felt like I was always a few minutes away from 'getting it' but the real meaning kept slipping away.

The cast are all really good - baby Jake Gyllenhaal in particular, he has that perfect mix of intensity and vulnerability. It has this slightly surreal David Lynch atmosphere in the everyday scenes (family breakfasts, school assemblies etc) then a very surreal vibe when the talking rabbit arrives and the time-travel stuff starts happening.

I think it's one of those films you can spend ages thinking about but it will never make 'sense'. I watched a ton of YouTube 'Donnie Darko explained' videos and I'm still none the wiser as to what any of it meant. I still loved it though. Banging soundtrack too.

4.5/5

I recently watched this as a (supposed) grown up. I was at uni when it came out. Massively underwhelmed by it this time around. Nothing at fault with the cast but just the whole story. It seemed to me to go out of its way to appear dark which I think really dated it. Best parts were the ridiculous ideologies that the teachers/parents were trying to inflict on the children. I think there could  have been a better film concentrating entirely on that rather than running it alongside a “too clever for its own good” sci fi plot. 

Terminator: Dark Fate

lol

3/5

It gets half a point extra because I'm baffled how their de-aging tech in the first five minutes looked leagues ahead of literally anything that's been done in any of the new Star Wars stuff.

The Perfection - 3/5 (Netflix)

Twisted schlock of the best possible kind. As a pulpy thriller it works well, albeit probably falls apart under any scrutiny. But these types of films aren’t made for that kind of analysis. Messed up final image too.

(#112/1000)

56 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done - **½

I can't believe this totally passed me by. I kind of remember reading about it when it was released. I need to watch this, though I will probably wait until the in-laws have gone ;)

The King's Man -3/5.

It's totally as all over the place bonkers a film I have seen in some time. And it has some fucking horrendously stupid decisions (writing) by characters that make no sense whatsoever. But damn it was entertaining. Has some really amazingly shot and chorographed scenes. 

For a man close to 60 Djimon Hounsou is in tremendous shape and in one fighting scene he's moving like a 25 year old athlete. I was stunned. 

On 07/02/2022 at 07:54, g wings said:

I don’t mean to sound glib but are you actually happy sitting through a load of films you rate so poorly? Seems less like enjoyment and more like a chore.

Haha, I don’t really mind to be honest. I’m fortunate to be in a job where I can watch a fair few as I work (and get tonnes of screeners), so good or bad I’m filling time really. And you never know how a film will unfold; it make the gems I find all the more enjoyable :)

Still get some enjoyment from the 2/5s as well. Maybe I’m too harsh, but there’s about 20 films from the thousands I’ve seen I’d rate 5/5. If I see one this year it’ll be a good year.

I'm sure I'll come under fire from some over this but....

West Side Story (1961)

This was enjoyable enough, but far from the masterpiece I'd been lead to believe it was. Some of the songs are really great but some of them really fall flat. I think the main problem I have with the film is the central love story doesn't seem believable, I didn't feel the leads had any chemistry and to be honest I didn't find their acting all that great either. I guess if the story had of taken place over the course of a summer or something it might have been more believable but as it's essentially a modern day(ish) version of Romeo and Julliet, you need to play on that love at first sight angle. I think I found the gang rivalry stuff much more interesting.

The sets and aesthetics look really great though. They did a fantastic job with bringing a stage show to life on the screen and making it feel like it's own thing. The choreography is really fantastic too.

Also, I know with musicals you have to suspend your disbelief with people just bursting into song and dance, but the dance fighting was so bizarre to watch, I really struggled with it.

3 finger clicks out of 5

@Stigweard I watched it for the first time when it was on TV around Christmas. I think that it's a fairly common criticism to complain that the two leads are the least interesting part of it! Here, for example: https://www.tvguide.com/movies/west-side-story/review/2030053163/

I liked it, but it had the same problem as every musical I've ever seen, which is that I liked the upbeat comedy songs much more than the sentimental romantic ballads. "Gee, Officer Krupke" is better then "Maria" and "Tonight" combined:twisted:

Disney musicals are full of this pattern: "Under the Sea" versus "Part of Your World"; "Friend Like Me" versus "A Whole New World"; "Hakuna Matata" versus "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Yeah, the latter of each pair may represent the films' emotional heart - but they're not as much fun as the catchy, fluffy, comedy bits.

As someone once sang: "A Spoonful of Sugar" helps "Feed the Birds" go down. :hat: