IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

2 hours ago, g wings said:

Just watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang if you need a good double act caper fix.

Oh I have. Not seen it in ages though. It's just Gosling's performance I love from The Nice Guys that is the main thing I want to see more of, he doesn't even need to say anything and it's funny. He's set up as this wallowing kind of -in comparison to Russell Crowe's character- hapless wimp, but then he's curt and cool other times, all over the place in his work but really switched on at the same time. It's a brilliant character, brilliantly performed, set against the perfect partner. 

It's not too dissimilar to his performance in Crazy Stupid Love,  where he's unexpectedly brilliant throwing Steve Carell's shoes off the balcony in the mall. Scenes I laugh just thinking about because the delivery and timing is so good. 

Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer have no where near the likeability or comedy skills of Gosling. 

30 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Oh I have. Not seen it in ages though. It's just Gosling's performance I love from The Nice Guys that is the main thing I want to see more of, he doesn't even need to say anything and it's funny. He's set up as this wallowing kind of -in comparison to Russell Crowe's character- hapless wimp, but then he's curt and cool other times, all over the place in his work but really switched on at the same time. It's a brilliant character, brilliantly performed, set against the perfect partner. 

It's not too dissimilar to his performance in Crazy Stupid Love,  where he's unexpectedly brilliant throwing Steve Carell's shoes off the balcony in the mall. Scenes I laugh just thinking about because the delivery and timing is so good. 

Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer have no where near the likeability or comedy skills of Gosling. 

I love Gosling's performance too. RDJr and Val Kilmer were great though, I rewatched recently. 

The Last Duel

It was ok.  The expected visual style of a Ridley Scott historical epic was good, performances of Driver and Comer in particular were great, and the story at its core had a nice pull to it.

The storytelling style they went for though, just made the movie drag even more than you would expect one of this type to.

Didn’t know whether to love or hate Affleck’s performance - I think I took it to be a bit of a joke in the end.

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit 

Under rated spy yarn which has an excellent first 2/3rds before things get a bit daft in the final third. Pine, Knightley,  Costner and Branagh are all on fine form. Some great direction and well shot action scenes. This under performed at the box office so it never got any sequels. Shame as Pine makes for an excellent young Jack Ryan. 

3.5/5

Salt

Another spy film, this time with a few twists and turns in the plot. This looks great and boosts uniformly good performances. This is great fun from start to finish and it’s completely unbelievable plot only heightens the sense of enjoyment. It’s nice to see a female led spy film. 

4/5

Career Girls.

i am trying to extend my knowledge of Leigh’s body of work and this is an interesting place to start. It’s a sleight tale and all the better for it. It covers two time periods as two college friends meet up 10 years later. The stuff in the “present “ I found much more interesting than the stuff in the “past”. Its a bit odd in places but I found it always compelling and it references The Cure a lot which is no bad thing in my book. 

4/5

Bram Stokers Dracula 

For me (and probably nobody else) this is the definitive film version. I love pretty much everything about this, particularly the score, Oldman, Ryder, the cinematography, the set design and the use of colour. I’d say it was Coppolas last great movie and it made a huge impact on me when my future wife and I saw it at the odeon Leicester Square all those years ago. 

5/5

19 minutes ago, sandman said:

Bram Stokers Dracula 

For me (and probably nobody else) this is the definitive film version. I love pretty much everything about this, particularly the score, Oldman, Ryder, the cinematography, the set design and the use of colour. I’d say it was Coppolas last great movie and it made a huge impact on me when my future wife and I saw it at the odeon Leicester Square all those years ago. 

5/5

Bizarre one about this is the amount of what look like composite shots that are actually shot in-camera. Staggering stuff.

Eternals - 2/5 (Disney+)

Given the talent and budget involved all felt a bit flat. Not completely without merit, but more like a middling DCU film than peak Marvel.

The post-credits, ‘Eternals will return’ feels a tad optimistic.

(#133/1000)

On 17/02/2022 at 08:33, JamesC said:

Vamp

Two college kids try to hire a stripper for their frat party but it turns out the strip club is a vampire den led by a mute Grace Jones.

Entertaining rubbish.

2/5

I remember watching this on Moviedrome. Alex Cox was quite complimentary and I do remember enjoying it. May 1991 was when it was aired. Man I feel old.  :blah:

Mass - 3/5 (Sky Cinema)

Tough subject (parents of a teen murdered in a high school shooting meet with the parents of the shooter) but brilliantly acted.

Pretty much shot in one room, it’s a good example of talented actors wringing everything they can out of a solid script.

(136/1000)

1 hour ago, mash said:

I remember watching this on Moviedrome. Alex Cox was quite complimentary and I do remember enjoying it. May 1991 was when it was aired. Man I feel old.  :blah:

I really loved Moviedrome, they should definitely bring it back. 

I'd have watched Alex Cox's introduction ahead of the film if I'd known.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Netflix - 1/5

Crap in all respects. Plot is nonsense. Has that straight to Netflix tripe feel about it. It's like it was filmed by students being shown how to use use their Dad's expensive equipment.

The main character has a nerdy look about her, like she went to cast for Stranger Things but didn't get in. Might see her turn up elsewhere; the rest of the cast not so much.

Two or three funny/gory chainsaw deaths that's about it.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO Max - 1/5

This was absolutely solid gold shit. I mean, obviously none of the charm of the original but even outside of that context it just had no redeeming features. Just terrible acting, terrible sets, and a woeful retelling of the story.

However, we're really getting into Greek mythology at Chez Stu and this held the kids' interest so on to the original.

"What's stop motion animation, dad?"

"You know, Shaun the sheep."

Sing 2.

Our day out in London was cancelled due to the storm, so we went to out local cinema.  Our youngest lad picked it Sing 2 in what felt like a bit of a last roll of the dice for true children's movies (we're firmly in the Marvel/Star Wars machine now).  Maybe this partially explains my reaction to it.

It's really fun and vibrant and it's absolutely packed - saturated - with music and dance which makes it feel more like a celebration of these than anything else.

I sound like a right old fud when I say some of it was a bit contemporary, but my kids loved it and I could see them dancing in the cinema at certain bits (within the parameters of acceptable conduct).

Bono is obviously a blown out corporate monster but when the U2 numbers hit, they get you in the feels.

Buxton is great, I took a lot more from the performance knowing his voice as well as I do (a treat for Black Squadron members).

4/5 - In the moment I found it hard to be cynical about something so obviously tuned (LOL) to be so commercial.  I guess both can co-exist like in good pop music.

10 hours ago, yashiro said:

The main character has a nerdy look about her, like she went to cast for Stranger Things but didn't get in. Might see her turn up elsewhere; the rest of the cast not so much.

Is that the lass who was in Eighth Grade? She was excellent in that.

20 hours ago, yashiro said:

Crap in all respects. Plot is nonsense. Has that straight to Netflix tripe feel about it. It's like it was filmed by students being shown how to use use their Dad's expensive equipment.

Two or three funny/gory chainsaw deaths that's about it.

The 74 TCM is pretty much my favourite horror film. And it's wild to me that anyone could make a film as bad as this new version. Where to start..

Spoiler

The insane premise (internet chef and influencer buys a random town in Texas??), the cops just evicting that old woman for no reason, the chainsaw that made no sound when it made sense to the plot, Sally coming back like Laurie in the new Halloween films, Leatherface flinging the saw around like he was Tom Brady and the fact that even at barely 80 minutes this felt too long.

I did have a proper laugh when Leatherface leapt out of that pool of water at the end like a dolphin. Oh, and the bus massacre was pretty cool.

What a total waste of everyones time and talent. Tobe Hooper must be turning in his grave.

Another one who thought Texas Chainsaw Massacre was shit

0/5

Like, who are we supposed to be rooting for? Because no one was likeable. Maybe the mechanic guy? 

Also what made (imo) the original movie work was that it didn't show everything and made the the viewer feel uncomfortable using weird behaviours, sound effects, camera angles and tones.

The King’s Man - 2/5 (Disney+)

What a bizarre film. I’m not mad at it, just slightly confused at why it even exists?

Christ knows what was happening. One minute Rasputin is doing weird things with Ralph Fiennes’ leg, the next people are running around trenches for some reason and then it goes all Free Solo with some goats.

Gemma Arterton looked like she understood the madness and just rocked up, thought, ‘fuck it’ and turned in the film’s most enjoyable performance. Had the box office been good she’d probably have got a spin-off. Maybe she will anyway.

Was this a tax dodge?

(#137/1000)

My favourite thing about the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is the most obvious thing to say but it's that it spends so long in the beginning being low key and there's no build up whatsoever to your expectation of whatever the 'massacre' means, there are no following of cinematic storytelling or horror tropes to manipulate the audience, it's just like how horrible things just suddenly out of nowhere happen to people all over the world every day. It's not written, constructed.

Nor does it have any faux realism modern filmmaking might adopt with shakey cam or over the shoulder camera positions, lots of zoomed in shots to remind the viewer they're watching something really directed within an inch of its life. I know 70s films weren't like that anyway compared to modern films, there's just a standoff naturalism, letting things simply play out. 

The tone and realism really separates it from most films, and especially most modern films. I've just sort of accepted the special unique aspect of the original will be completely ignored in favour of something shot like 99% of films out there. I'm getting so bored of how many new films are clearly made by directors going 'see the look of that film? Copy it'. And because everyone is doing it the exact same thing everything is becoming more and more homogeneous.

/obvious I think it takes strong voices and personalities who are genuinely using the medium to express who they are through it to carve out something tonally different. Just the approach of 'that's the look people associate with this genre and/or that's the look that people think looks cool and expensive and a sign of quality'. Any low budget thing will always try to give the impression of a high budget which isn't there, I'm not sure there's as much certainty in revelling in the complete opposite approach any more when with more saturation there's more acceptance of films being products to be delivered to consumers rather than some one off statement intended to jolt people and completely take them by surprise. I bring it up because my favourite thing about film is the variety. And tone is how to achieve that. 

A film I did like the look of recently which otherwise bored me too much to last beyond 10 minutes of it, is Red Rocket. Spencer was ridiculously gorgeous too. There are so few films where you go wow, so refreshing but nailing the time period in a way that usually period films (if you call it that) all look generic.

Actually Spencer not getting an Oscar nomination for cinematography is a joke, looking at the list I'd take out Power Of The Dog, I know that film has cast a spell on a lot of people but there was nothing remotely outstanding about its cinematography, it's literally just 80% of what you'd expect from a western with that setting, most cinematographers taking that job are doing 90% of the exact same shots. Most modern westerns look like that. I'm aware it extends to shot selections, when to do close ups, how to inject poetic imagery into it if you care about the story and believe in the characters. Spencer not even nominated for costume and production design either. Just the one film about British royalty they thought nope. 

This is what I wanted to get at with showing the Darkman trailer in the Dr Strange trailer that was just seen as 'this is also what Raimi did with comic books before Spider-Man'. It's like it's coming from a parallel universe in how Raimi directs scenes in that, it's not a great film but the tone is so unlike comic book films now. X-Men tried hard to get everyone to take them seriously.

Darkman is so goofy I'm not sure a modern comic book would be willing to do something like that again. It's like kids today who watch the Annie Total Recall and think it's cheesy and naff, an opinion which if I was king of the world I'd push to make expressing such a thing punishable by death. erm films watched, Rooney which I didn't like, and The Judge which I didn't like. I have The Kings Man to watch which I expect to not like and Kimi which I expect to not like but then Soderburgh does that thing where he manages to massively impress me using so little so that's a possible like. Also Licorice Pizza is out there.