IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

No One Gets Out Alive (2021)

Went into this with high hopes. I've been a huge fan of Adam Nevill's novels since Banquet for the Damned, and the adaptation of The Ritual was spot on, but this fell flat.

The delivery was was great. Very easy on the eye and great setting for atmospherics. It even managed the jump from the UK to a US setting seamlessly, and even thought they re-imagined the big bad monsters, the film version unique and grotesque. But they literally stopped the film at the book's mid-point. It just cuts off. Really dissapointing.

3/5

Jackass Forever

Was impressed with how 'dangerous' some of the stunts still were, went in expecting something more mild. It was entertaining but ultimately a bit forgettable minus a couple of stunts.

1.5/5

2022 so far...

image.png.8490feb15801f54b272595840ff33f71.png

Dune 2021

Re-read the book last year  as I originally didn't like it  and enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time, brucie bonus of being able to point at the screen during this and shout " that's not how it is in the book"  like a proper book snob with the aid of more recent memory.This is a really strange movie for me- on the one hand I found it to be pretty  un-engaging and  I really didn't warm to  any of the characters but that was also true of the book ,on the other it looks amazing, some of the set pieces look awesome the design of the ships costumes  etc were all fantastic   despite  there  not being  a lot (or an excess) of work for colour therapists in this universe.

I was  checking my watch on more than one occasion but found that I was over the hour mark and then another further hour in so  dunno, bored, not bored? So I can't really score it out of  5 , it's certainly worthwhile  but I'm not sure I enjoyed it.

Dune-no/5

1 hour ago, g wings said:

Erm. I assume you are marking out of 3…

No, 5. Long story but yeah, I never give out 5's and 4's are very rare. MAYBE one or two out of 30-40 films a year. Giving something like Turning Red a 2.5 may sound harsh but to put it into perspective, if I were to watch something like Venom2 I'd probably give it a 0 or 0.5 out of 5. 

0 - 0.5 = Did not enjoy, possibly couldn't make it through

1 = Some good elements

2= Pretty good, well made film but far from life changing

3= Very good, some interesting aspects to it. The type of film where I'll even invest in a 'ending explained' video after.

4= Great. I know I'll remember this film fondly in 5 years, it's going to stick. It's left a footprint on me.

5= Perfect. Which doesn't exist. I once gave Terminator 2 a 5 star but I was a naive teenager back then.

Shazam

I much preferred this on a second watch. The entire cast are all amazing (particularly Levi) and it’s an interesting take on the superhero mythos. I definitely got Miracleman vibes of this, somebody in the production has definitely read Moores opus. As a huge fan of the character I really bought into this modern updating of the origin story. 

4/5

The Suicide Squad

Jesus Christ, who let a group of 12 year old boys write and direct a movie? Immature in almost every aspect this is (just about) saved by great performances from Robbie, Cena and Kinnerman.  The Waller character is much much more annoying then she’s even been in the comics. 

The plot just sort of plods along whilst getting increasingly more bonkers. It’s nice and colourful although the costume design leaves a lot to be desired. I liked the rats.

2/5

The kid who would be King

After a lacklustre and overrated debut, Cornish hits it out of the park with his second film. A huge flop, this great little movie is pretty much perfect family fare up until a slightly limp and overplayed climax which the film didn’t need. The young cast are almost uniformly great. I love the way Merlin does his magic. It was so nice to watch a British film set in a Britain I recognise. A few scenes and lines feel like they were made with the trailer in mind rather than the finished  film. 

4/5

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

No, 5. Long story but yeah, I never give out 5's and 4's are very rare. MAYBE one or two out of 30-40 films a year. Giving something like Turning Red a 2.5 may sound harsh but to put it into perspective, if I were to watch something like Venom2 I'd probably give it a 0 or 0.5 out of 5. 

1 = Some good elements

3= Very good, some interesting aspects to it. The type of film where I'll even invest in a 'ending explained' video after.

4= Great. I know I'll remember this film fondly in 5 years, it's going to stick. It's left a footprint on me.

5= Perfect. Which doesn't exist. I once gave Terminator 2 a 5 star but I was a naive teenager back then.

I was being flippant. Why are you so determined not to give out any 5’s? It basically means you have to cram every film in to a four star system.

The Losers (2010)

Apparently Quentin Tarantino described this action comedy as "dumb fun". And he is right. You get a group of mercenaries out for revenge against a slimy bloke who left them for dead. The action is loud, slick, with funny moments. My main issue is with the main baddie, Max, who despite doing a few bad things, especially with the chopper near the start, doesn't amount to much more than a twat in a suit. I honestly couldn't remember this film but there was a part nearly half way through where I got this sense of deja vu. Had I watched this before but forgotten it? No way to check. Dumb fun it is then.

3/5

Olivia Rodrigo: driving home 2 u

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18269838/

Follow Olivia Rodrigo as she recounts the memories of writing and creating her debut album. Take a look on her journey from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles.

This is a look back on the year Olivia went from being a Disney actor to a pop-superstar. It's little videos she recorded on her phone of her demoing the early versions of her songs and footage of her and her writing partner recording the final versions. There's also new arrangements of the songs from Sour in some really nice America locations - diners, abandoned petrol stations, the Utah desert, Salt Lake City etc. Some of these are excellent (the versions of 'Drivers Licence' and 'Brutal' are excellent) but others don't really add anything to the original, album versions.

I thought this was really good. Rodrigo comes across as a really likeable and smart person who realises she's right at the start of becoming a massive star. And you can feel how excited her and her co-writer are putting the songs together knowing they're going to go supernova when they come out. It's really nice to look at and the soundmix on the new arrangements is quality. 

4.5/5

The Worst Person in The World
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10370710/

The chronicles of four years in the life of Julie, a young woman who navigates the troubled waters of her love life and struggles to find her career path, leading her to take a realistic look at who she really is.

This made a lot of 'Best films of 2021' lists but is only coming out here now. It's a Norweigan film split into 12 chapters (plus epilogue and prologue) following a few years in the life of a young woman trying to make her way. Changing jobs, meeting new people, relationships - all that fun stuff.

I thought this was really excellent. It's funny and sad and it looks and sounds great. The cast are all tremendous, the lead woman in particular. The chapter structure works well and there's a few really stylish bits - some animation and a long sequence where the main character is the only person not frozen in a city. Those little touches are really fun.

Looking at some of the directors other films the only one I've seen in Thelma - which I really liked. But I'll definitely check out more of his work.

I'm sure this will be near the top of my best of the year list come December.

5/5

On 26/03/2022 at 12:48, Capwn said:

1 = Some good elements

Im the same to be honest. I like to have a way to differentiate the very best movies. Only a handful of movies are ever deserving of a 5 which essentially means perfect or very very close to.  I rarely hand out 5s and a 5 would be considerably better than 4, which is already an exceptional movie. 

i don’t spend too much time watching bad stuff so I’m not bothered about that end of the scale either, so it’s rare I’m rating below a 2. 

Prospect.

Set sometime in the future, Dad and daughter in space who are sent to a moon to mine for precious gems.

It has Pedro Pascal in it along with a couple of people I vaguely recognise from other films.  It's very much an indie sci-fi, low budget and low on effects.  A fairly annoying filter effect is over used throughout, but didn't mean this isn't a watchable and interesting film that keeps you guessing to the end.

3/5

Oblivion (2013)

A beautifully shot post-apocalyptic SF that is hamstrung by a muddled story that borrows liberally from a number of better films, leaves nothing to the imagination and manages to waste the combined talents of Tom Cruise, Andrea Riseborough and Morgan Freeman. I should note that Olga Kurylenko is also in it, but she's mostly there as a damsel in distress or window dressing, a charge that could also be levelled at Andrea Riseborough's character (the naked pool scene, the nightie scene, the tight-fitting dresses etc), but at least the script grants her the opportunity to show a range of emotions unlike poor Kurylenko.

Based on this and Tron: Legacy, Joseph Kosinski has a great film in him if only someone could give the man a decent script.

2/5

A Cure for Wellness (2017)

Very creepy story that takes its time in the telling and is easy on the eye to boot. Bonus points for unexpected Jason Isaacs.

5/5

cureforwellness54.jpg

The Adam Project 

Essentially a kids action movie, with some throwback 80s elements. Doses of humour, and some really excessive levels of romance. For a film that seemed aimed at young boys I couldn’t really get the degree of romance. Was it trying to be an all things for all family members type movie? Failed to pull it all together on most levels. Even in a fairly one dimensional and simplistic role, Ryan Reynolds shortcomings were laid bare. 

1/5

Minor Premise (Sky Cinema)

2020 indie Sci-fi film similar to Primer but has experimentation with dissociative identity disorder. Altered States meets Pi but with a mind fucking premise where the main protagonist has a different element of his psyche as the ruling psyche every 6 mins per hour. 

Bohemianpsycherules/10

The Worst Person In the World 2021 - Oscar nominated for best international feature film and best original screenplay. 

Norwegian drama about a young female trying to find her path in life, socially, career wise and romantically. Overall an interesting story but with mostly static and up close shots it felt more like a play than a film. 
Some good shots of Oslo, though, and a rather fitting soundtrack made this an above average watch, but only just. 

6/10

Riders of Justice
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11655202/

Markus goes home to his teenage daughter, Mathilde, when his wife dies in a tragic train accident. It seems like an accident until a mathematics geek, who was also a fellow passenger on the train, and his two colleagues show up.

This is a Danish film starring Mads Mikkelson as a special forces soldier whose wife is killed in a train crash. Initially this is considered an accident but one of the other passengers is a stats/algorithm geek who is convinced that this wasn't an accident. And that one of the other victims was the target of an elaborate murder scheme. The police don't believe him so he takes his theory to Mads - he's suffering from PTSD and is in mourning for his wife so he's happy to embrace this theory and to look for revenge. 

I thought this was really impressive. There's a Coen Brothers vibe to it with quirky, eccentric characters who encounter moments of extreme violence. The cast are all excellent, it's funny and shocking in places and there's some touching bits as well. There are a couple of scenes where I was thinking 'this is too ridiculous' but nothing that derailed my enjoyment of it. 

4/5

Death on the Nile (2022) - 1.5/5.

80 minutes of utter tripe followed by 30 mins of semi interesting who-dunnit shenanigans. 

Murder on the Orient express wasn't great but it had a set tone throughout the film. The opening 80 mins of this are so over the top and cheesy it's unreal. Also host to some of the most over the top bad and overacting I have seen in some time. 

Kenneth Branagh was good though. 

Oh and seeing Armie Hammer letching and grinding on women is off putting and worrying given his...well...history. 

People Just Do Nothing: Big I’m Japan 

I should preface this by saying I really enjoyed the series when it was on TV and watched it in its entirety. It was funny and the character development as the show progressed was a nice unexpected bonus from a comedy / mockumentary.

Sadly I don’t feel like the film was up to much. It had an air of money grabbing, scraping the bottle of the barrel with the plot. The mockumentary aspect was toned down, and there was just an overall emptiness to the whole thing. One for fans of the show, but don’t expect too much to avoid disappointment. 

2/5

15 hours ago, Ry said:

Death on the Nile (2022) - 1.5/5.

80 minutes of utter tripe followed by 30 mins of semi interesting who-dunnit shenanigans. 

Murder on the Orient express wasn't great but it had a set tone throughout the film. The opening 80 mins of this are so over the top and cheesy it's unreal. Also host to some of the most over the top bad and overacting I have seen in some time. 

Kenneth Branagh was good though. 

Oh and seeing Armie Hammer letching and grinding on women is off putting and worrying given his...well...history. 

I watched it last night and thought it was poor too. Just boring and was not well paced at all. I wonder if he dragged it out a little because the killer was obvious.

At least we got a moustache origin story out of it though :lol:

2/5 for me