IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Easter weekend viewing:

The Incredibles - it's strange revisiting this given how many superhero movies have been released since this hit the screens. A lot of the themes of this movie have actually been done elsewhere now too (e.g. the Sokovia Accords storyline in the MCU). It's dated a little technically as you'd obviously expect but it's still a lot of fun. 3/5

The Incredibles 2 - which seems like a completely pointless sequel, I mean action-wise it's probably better than the first but it's also a complete retread just with the two main characters' roles being flipped. It doesn't appear to have anything to say apart from "superheroes are better than normal people and we should let them do whatever they want". Watching two of these movies on successive nights was a bad idea. 2/5

Death Wish 3 (1985)

Watched this a few times down the years and watched this again out of nostalgia for Cannon more than anything. It did make me think about how my love of Cannon's stuff has changed down the years. They were unmissable films when I was a young man, but now they feel like a guy you know, he is crass, over-the-top, probably inappropriate and tactless at times, but you can't help but like him because of the good times you had down the years. Death Wish 3 is a great example. It is overwhelmingly silly, from the double-denim 80s street gang to that amazing riot towards the end. Doesn't quite do it for me anymore but I appreciate the lack of class. 

3/5

Navy SEALs (1990)

People compare this to Top Gun but I haven't watched that, so I'll take their word for it, but from what I know this has the same work-hard/play-hard, extra testosterone thing going on. Despite what feels like a realistic portrayal of what they do, it can't hide a paper-thin story with barely-drawn characters. Simplistic kill-the-terrorists sledgehammer plot diminished the interpersonal drama. Action was okay, and the casting of Michael Biehn and Charlie Sheen was just right, although Bill Paxton was underused. 

2.5/5

The Holcroft Covenant (1985)

Watched this a couple of times, and it doesn't really bear watching again. Juicy premise, with architect Michael Caine coming into $4billion from his Nazi birth father, and a conspiracy involving him, the children of the other signatories of the covenant as well as those trying to kill him. Despite this it's all a bit saggy, unfocussed, it hops from the US to Europe and tries to add some glamour to the conspiracy but despite a satisfying scene near the end it is plodding, a good 20 minutes too long too. 

2.5/5

Black Hawk Down

Too long at 2.5 hours and not exactly what you call a concise experience - a huge cast and too much going on to focus. Probably contains about as much war as you would require in one sitting, at least 2 hours is constant shooting and shouts of "RPG! and people being shot and killed. There must have been a shortage of American actors that year to play American troops in this one too, everyone is British or Eric Bana

3/5

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Or, The Fantastic Misadventures of Night Monkey.

Easily one of my fave marvel films. I loved it so much the first time I saw it at the cinema that I went and saw it a second time within a week (it was an early morning showing on a Wednesday, just because I could!!)

It gets so much right. Funny, dramatic, heartfelt, the Peter / MJ relationship is brilliantly done and just feels so natural.

The whole cast is quality but Gyllenhaal is great! Proper hamming it up for all he's worth.

Going to watch No Way Home for the first time tomorrow.

5 European cities visited on a school trip / 5.

The Rock - Never seen it before, it's one of the most over-the-top films I've seen, with Nic Cage chewing scenery and early Michael Bay amping everything up through hectic editing. And no wonder this inspired so many videogames, it's got a warehouse level, an industrial level, a sewer level and a minecart level. It's not what I'd call 'good', but I can't say I wasn't entertained for two hours either. 4/5

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The Rock - Never seen it before, it's one of the most over-the-top films I've seen, with Nic Cage chewing scenery and early Michael Bay amping everything up through hectic editing. And no wonder this inspired so many videogames, it's got a warehouse level, an industrial level, a sewer level and a minecart level. It's not what I'd call 'good', but I can't say I wasn't entertained for two hours either. 4/5

"I'm only borrowing your Humvee!"

I love The Rock. It is just sublimely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Or, The Fantastic Misadventures of Night Monkey.

Easily one of my fave marvel films. I loved it so much the first time I saw it at the cinema that I went and saw it a second time within a week (it was an early morning showing on a Wednesday, just because I could!!)

It gets so much right. Funny, dramatic, heartfelt, the Peter / MJ relationship is brilliantly done and just feels so natural.

The whole cast is quality but Gyllenhaal is great! Proper hamming it up for all he's worth.

Going to watch No Way Home for the first time tomorrow.

5 European cities visited on a school trip / 5.

If you thought Far From Home was good.... 

Probably jinxed it now. 

28 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The Rock is brilliant fun - even if the car chase interior cam is hilarious. More coherent than an entire Paul Greengrass film though

They added that car chase at the last minute apparently, well not literally the last minute, it was added on after the fact. The Rewatchables podcast covers the film well. 

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Easter weekend viewing:

The Incredibles - it's strange revisiting this given how many superhero movies have been released since this hit the screens. A lot of the themes of this movie have actually been done elsewhere now too (e.g. the Sokovia Accords storyline in the MCU). It's dated a little technically as you'd obviously expect but it's still a lot of fun. 3/5

Wat?

It's a better superhero film than any other superhero film, in my book.

Oh, it’s OK. The first half is a little too slow and the second half is a little too silly. I don’t think the super-skinny designs for the female characters have dated very well at all. It’s a mid-tier kids’ cartoon for me, diverting enough, although I appreciate lots of others rate it more highly. 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Oh, it’s OK. The first half is a little too slow and the second half is a little too silly. I don’t think the super-skinny designs for the female characters have dated very well at all. It’s a mid-tier kids’ cartoon for me, diverting enough, although I appreciate lots of others rate it more highly. 

I won't lie, I'm gobsmacked.

Metal Lords

As cringe as you think it’s gonna be.

1/5

Exposed

Apparently the studio butchered this one, which considering the subject matter is in very poor taste. Director took their name off it. Keanu sleep walks through his scenes (except for a comedy outburst in his car), Ana gets a pass this time…Still, great to see Big Daddy Kane in a movie, shame it was in this mess.

1/5

Zero Fucks Given - 3.5/5 (MUBI)

This is a very decent watch, the story of a young Belgian (I think) woman who works as cabin crew for a low cost airline, and how its customer facing grind puts some strict parameters around parts of a life that is spiralling out of control in other areas.

An interesting thing about this is that most of the people playing her fellow crew are real cabin crew rather than actors, which gives it a lovely verité feel on more than one occasion. It’s a beautifully shot flick too, and the central performance by Adèle Exarchopoulos is just brilliant.

On 19/04/2022 at 14:43, englishbob said:

Black Hawk Down

Too long at 2.5 hours and not exactly what you call a concise experience - a huge cast and too much going on to focus. Probably contains about as much war as you would require in one sitting, at least 2 hours is constant shooting and shouts of "RPG! and people being shot and killed. There must have been a shortage of American actors that year to play American troops in this one too, everyone is British or Eric Bana

3/5

I rewatched this again the other day and you are right - so many well known faces in this. 

Seeing “Phil Dunphy” trying to navigate a battle scene made me laugh out loud which is probably quite inappropriate considering the content. 

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Zero Fucks Given - 3.5/5 (MUBI)

This is a very decent watch, the story of a young Belgian (I think) woman who works as cabin crew for a low cost airline, and how its customer facing grind puts some strict parameters around parts of a life that is spiralling out of control in other areas.

An interesting thing about this is that most of the people playing her fellow crew are real cabin crew rather than actors, which gives it a lovely verité feel on more than one occasion. It’s a beautifully shot flick too, and the central performance by Adèle Exarchopoulos is just brilliant.

This sounds really cool!  On the list

Tim’s Vermeer - 3/5 (screener)

Short and sweet, but lovely and compelling, documentary about inventor Tim Jenison’s efforts to recreate the work of Johannes Vermeer.

Jenison is such an affable kook that couldn’t help but get caught up in his attempts to dig into Vermeer’s painting technique, helped along by his long-time friend Penn Jillette.

(#295)

The Fourth Man (1984)

Having, for some reason, been unable to get Verhoeven's memorable-but-problematic Elle out of my head, I figured I'd watch what it often described as his best.

I didn't love it though. Cheesy performances, erratic pacing, and generally showing its age in the worst ways. I didn't feel harrowed, or thrilled, or drawn into the sexual elements. It just wasn't great for me.

2.5/5

Star Wars Ep1&2

It wasn’t as bad as I remember it. Jar Jar and Anakin are pretty shite though and the script has as much depth as 2 ply tissues.  Both actors for Anakin just aren’t convincing enough (feel bad for the bit as it’s probably not his fault given the script). Jar Jar was such a pointless character and I feel bad for the actor who played him.  The light sabre fights look completely weightless and without effort in comparison to later films. They just look like they are wafting it around and then “sorted out” afterwards with CGI. 

Sam L Jackson is essentially doing the chin stroking equivalent of smell the fart acting and Ewen McGregor is doing what he can with the script. 

It’s far from good -(and probably only just average) but…….I don’t know where I am going with this.

Each one is a still an absolute turd of a film isn’t it? If it wasn’t Star Wars it would be completed written off. 

The one thing I would say is I didn’t hate watching them and it is a reminder of things in readiness for ObiWan series. 

There are some pretty shocking stereotyping going on for each race too which reminds me of this podcast a little:

https://pca.st/episode/e00d2308-c431-4822-9e41-4150c632324f

14 hours ago, Triple A said:

This sounds really cool!  On the list

It’s a really good film…I think I would have rated it more highly if there was a bit more to the story, but then it’s not really that kind of movie.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s a really good film…I think I would have rated it more highly if there was a bit more to the story, but then it’s not really that kind of movie.

I’m going to give it a watch for Adèle Exarchopoulos. She was phenomenal in Blue Is The Warmest Colour, and I haven’t seen her in anything since.

Trust No One: The Hunt for the Crypto King - 2/5 (Netflix)

Think Netflix acquires some decent docs but this isn’t one of them. It uses the usual canny edits and teases to raise intrigue but subsequently deploys smoke and mirrors to embellish what turns out to be a fairly straightforward story into a feature-length documentary. A bit of a waste of time to be honest.

(#298)

24 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I’m going to give it a watch for Adèle Exarchopoulos. She was phenomenal in Blue Is The Warmest Colour, and I haven’t seen her in anything since.

I’ve not seen that, but she’s excellent in this…she’s in almost every shot.