IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

24 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I’m going to give it a watch for Adèle Exarchopoulos. She was phenomenal in Blue Is The Warmest Colour, and I haven’t seen her in anything since.

I’ve not seen that, but she’s excellent in this…she’s in almost every shot.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

I’ve not seen that, but she’s excellent in this…she’s in almost every shot.

You should check it out. Probably in my top ten films of all time, and she is spectacular in it.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:54, skondo said:

No Time to Die.

I did not enjoy this. Seemed like a disconnected set of action sequences with little story and a completely uninteresting villain. Found the whole experience extremely dull.

I think this film may have set a record. How many annoying characters can you fit into one film? Loads, it turns out.

2/5

That's literally every bond movie since Dalton

16 hours ago, Bazjam said:

You should check it out. Probably in my top ten films of all time, and she is spectacular in it.

Just be aware that it is the product of an abusive director who pushed the actors beyond things they were comfortable with.

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

Just be aware that it is the product of an abusive director who pushed the actors beyond things they were comfortable with.

And a link for the interested: https://www.vulture.com/2013/10/timeline-blue-is-the-warmest-color-controversy.html

I note that the director has also been accused of sexual assault by an unnamed actress, so there's that too.

It is, but both stars continued to publicise the film making it clear that they didn’t want it to take away from the finished film. A film they both remain very proud of.

20 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I thought it was grubby and unremarkable.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

It is, but both stars continued to publicise the film making it clear that they didn’t want it to take away from the finished film. A film they both remain very proud of.

So they both acted like professionals and did their jobs appropriately. Unlike Keniche, who is a creep.

Unfortunately, regardless of recent progress, it's still not an industry that rewards women for being outspoken.

9 minutes ago, choddo said:

I thought it was grubby and unremarkable.

Me too. I remember the camera lingering on the body of Adele when the character was asleep and thinking, "wait a sec, if the gaze is the characters gaze, then are they dreaming about their own body?'

Creepy director.

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

And a link for the interested: https://www.vulture.com/2013/10/timeline-blue-is-the-warmest-color-controversy.html

I note that the director has also been accused of sexual assault by an unnamed actress, so there's that too.

Wow, the director sounds like a pure arsehole. Not that this would put me off watching the film, although I don’t know what it’s available on.

I think I’ve only seen Lea Seydoux in that film Sister that was on MUBI about the kiddy stealing skis, she was brilliant in that I thought.

17 minutes ago, schmojo said:

So they both acted like professionals and did their jobs appropriately. Unlike Keniche, who is a creep.

Unfortunately, regardless of recent progress, it's still not an industry that rewards women for being outspoken.

I think you’re being pretty dismissive of their views. I listened to hours of them being interviewed around the release, which included them discussing their discomfort at times in the shoot, and they both spoke very passionately about the film. They weren’t just being pro’s, they are genuinely proud of the film.

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Wow, the director sounds like a pure arsehole. Not that this would put me off watching the film, although I don’t know what it’s available on.

I think I’ve only seen Lea Seydoux in that film Sister that was on MUBI about the kiddy stealing skis, she was brilliant in that I thought.

It’s on Netflix.

26 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I think you’re being pretty dismissive of their views. I listened to hours of them being interviewed around the release, which included them discussing their discomfort at times in the shoot, and they both spoke very passionately about the film. They weren’t just being pro’s, they are genuinely proud of the film.

We're speculating. We'll never truly know what their views are, and how much was influenced by an industry that utterly and universally pressures women to conform and not cause a fuss. 

We know that promoting the film was part of their job, and calling attention to abuse was not. We have no idea what they're 'genuinely proud' of, and what is simply the accepted standard line for a woman in the business.

Furthermore, we know that it's a story of two gay women told by a straight man. And, as the original author states, lacked lesbian presence in the production. So if you want to see what it's like to experience inauthentic gay female love through the interpretative eye of a straight male abuser, then great. It's that.

But in an era where representation is paramount, it's a film that doesn't cut it and has aged terribly.

We're speculating. We'll never truly know what their views are, and how much was influenced by an industry that utterly and universally pressures women to conform and not cause a fuss. 

We know that promoting the film was part of their job, and calling attention to abuse was not. We have no idea what they're 'genuinely proud' of, and what is simply the accepted standard line for a woman in the business.

Furthermore, we know that it's a story of two gay women told by a straight man. And, as the original author states, lacked lesbian presence in the production. So if you want to see what it's like to experience inauthentic gay female love through the interpretative eye of a straight male abuser, then great. It's that.

But in an era where representation is paramount, it's a film that doesn't cut it and has aged terribly.

But we do know what they think, as they spoke about it at length, alongside speaking about the abuse. These weren't big press junkets, they were casual low key interviews (at least the ones I watched) befitting an independent French film. I see no reason to question their integrity on this.

I also have no problem with a man making  film about lesbians. That way of thinking is anti art.

7 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

But we do know what they think, as they spoke about it at length, alongside speaking about the abuse. These weren't big press junkets, they were casual low key interviews (at least the ones I watched) befitting an independent French film. I see no reason to question their integrity on this.

I also have no problem with a man making  film about lesbians. That way of thinking is anti art.

You're just ok with a lot of things I'm not ok with. Everyone gets to draw their own lines.

But it's not anti-art. It's anti compromised 'art' perpetuated by self-important, short-sighted patriarchy. Male gaze and appropriation masquerading as intimacy carrying any insight.

Give me real voices, real experiences, and real representation in stories like these. And maybe check in with some gay women now and again to see what their opinion on the topic is, should you actually care about the topics presented. Rather than supporting an abusive straight man's right to bully women until they've gotten him sufficiently hard.

Spider-Man - No Way Home

It was, as I'd hoped, absolutely fantastic! My son really enjoyed it too. Great cast, great performances, well paced.

It was a thoroughly entertaining, rip-roaring, funny, heartfelt, emotional blockbuster.

However, I do think it's not the best of the Tom Holland trilogy. 

4 radioactive arachnids / 5

I was going to write something that contributed to the discussion around Blue is the Warmest Colour but I won't because it's an argument with no place in this thread, instead I will just back up Bazjam's recommendation as it is a truly brilliant film and it's available on Netflix.

Bull - 3/5 - Gritty low budget British crime flick which i right up my street. However beyond Maskill's intense performance and some nice striking cinematography and some shocking violence the story is weak not even considering the ending. If someone is looking for another gritty British crime flick I would recommend Hyena which is really a good film and available on Prime or to rent for 99p on Apple+. I'm really in the mood for a gritty uk crime flick, any recommendations?

The Batman - 4.5/5

The Northman - 4/5

one was a home premier rental that looked gorgeous on my big 4K telly. I had my headphones on loud and just lost myself in the movie for near 3 hours.

The other was a trip out to my local art house cinema. A bunch of drunk posh twats arrived late to the screening and were irritating for the whole length of the film. Had to let them out my aisle numerous times for visits to the toilet and bar. The bloke nearest me loudly huffed and puffed throughout the whole film, as he was clearly not enjoying it and wanted everyone to know. And of course, the whole group talked whenever the desire took them.

I’ll always love the cinema, but I think I far prefer home viewing these days.

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

My first trip to the cinema since COVID. 

What a waste.

The story had no direction and tried to push itself as a clever heist movie then proceeded to forget about the clever bit.

And Mads Mikkelsen was a fizzer. Complete miscast. Depp in the role would have salvaged something, but it would still have been a terrible film.

1 CGI'd creature out of 5

5 hours ago, choddo said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife - 4

if you don’t like this you have no soul.

Spoiler

"Let's make Egon a deadbeat dad. But don't worry, he'll be redeemed in the end as he was right all along..."

Fuck that movie. 

6 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"Let's make Egon a deadbeat dad. But don't worry, he'll be redeemed in the end as he was right all along..."

Fuck that movie. 

No soul

The Designated Victim (1971)

Stefano Argenti, an ambitious advertising executive, meets a curious hippie named Count Mateo Tiepolo and they form a strange bond. Having gained Stefano's confidence, Tiepolo reveals that he wants to kill his domineering brother. He suggests that Stefano carry out the killing and in exchange he offers to murder Luisa, Stefano's wife who is a barrier to his career and his affair with Fabienne, a model. Argenti is more curious than shocked but decides to reject the bizarre offer. However, a short-time later, his wife is strangled to death by an intruder and he becomes the prime suspect. By withholding evidence that could prove his innocence. Mateo blackmails Stefano into keeping his part of the bargain. But there is a twist...

A Eurosleaze riff on Hitchcock's Strangers on A Train, with stellar performances by Tomas Millian, (who else can make that ridiculous haircut work?), and Pierre Clementi. 

Millian didn't appear in many Giallo movies, before becoming a superstar with his Poliziotteschi outings. The few he did appear in though, are fucking bangers. 

This is no exception. 

4/5

You can check this out for free on YouTube, along with a whole host of other Italian goodies:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GialloRealmOfficial/videos