Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Northman

OK, not great. Played out like a longer but less fun episode of Vikings and with a far less charismatic lead. The plot was also very simple, not nearly interesting enough to sustain its long running time. Pity as I’ve really enjoyed Eggers’ other films.

3/5

Uncharted (2022)

Perfectly fun and enjoyable romp. Holland and Whalberg are still wrong for Drake and Sully in my opinion but they were still very entertaining regardless. I think if it wasn't tied to Uncharted I wouldn't feel as bothered. Chloe is pretty much perfect though.

I have a few issues plotwise which is mainly around the bad guys (who are pretty shit all around), but there's a lot of Uncharted like elements to the film, from puzzles, artifacts, maps, locations and set pieces, which really make it feel like the game brought to film. So yeah, despite the two leads still being a little off for me, it was a fun film and I'd watch a sequel.

3/5

The Batman 5/5

I thought it was gripping and ugly and beautiful.  Patterson was excellent, as was all the supporting cast.  The car chase sequence was absolutely thunderous.  The design elements, the world building, all excellent.

I would sign up for the trilogy now.

First Blood

The first film I saw on VHS back in the 80s - memorable in so many ways - by comparison the 4K HDR version can be really something in places, the caves, the police lights etc. I know people actively avoid this one because its Rambo, but they are missing out on a classic, and why to me Stallone was always the greater action hero of the 80s

5/5

Even though they're sillier, the second two are worth getting on 4K as well. They're honestly fantastic action movies. I would even say they're masterclasses in how to direct and edit action scenes. I sometimes feel they're a bit underrated these days, probably because they were parodied so heavily back when they first came out.

I've been watching them inside out - I bought Part II because it was probably going to be the most watched, then picked up First Blood and Part III in HMV's 2 for £30 deal. The only one I remember over the top was III - and the hair! but I'm looking forward to giving it a rewatch

Guess part 3 has not aged so well in that he allies himself with The Taliban!!!!!

Still the Russians are back to being the bad guys again, so it's got it half right I suppose.

Zero Fucks Given - 4/5

Thanks @ZOK for the heads up on this. Really liked this, even though it did give me flashbacks to every shitty sales job I've had in the past. And Adèle Exarchopoulos, as always, is brilliant.

Rambo III

Not as bad as I remember (apart from the hair) which means it was fairly average in its day, but compared to more recent action films it miles better. It's Rambo versus the Russians again.

3.5/5

Metal Lords 

Full disclosure: I was plenty drunk before starting to watch this.

I thought it was entertaining enough, for the most part. But mostly just because of how stupid it was. Parts made me laugh out loud, though I'm not convinced how deliberate that was. 

I actually quite liked the fact that the "stick it to the man through the power of metal" character was actually just an arsehole and the "rival band" were actually decent people. And it was clear that the soundtrack, and the bands mentioned throughout, was the product of someone who actually knows about metal (Tom Morello, as it turns out). 

Not sure why the female lead needed to have mental health issues, it didn't add anything at any point, really, and seemed a bit shoehorned in. 

Other than that, it was a fairly unoriginal teenage angst high school movie. 

As entertained as I was, I can't really recommend this for anything other than the soundtrack. 

2/5

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Metal Lords 

Full disclosure: I was plenty drunk before starting to watch this.

I thought it was entertaining enough, for the most part. But mostly just because of how stupid it was. Parts made me laugh out loud, though I'm not convinced how deliberate that was. 

I actually quite liked the fact that the "stick it to the man through the power of metal" character was actually just an arsehole and the "rival band" were actually decent people. And it was clear that the soundtrack, and the bands mentioned throughout, was the product of someone who actually knows about metal (Tom Morello, as it turns out). 

Not sure why the female lead needed to have mental health issues, it didn't add anything at any point, really, and seemed a bit shoehorned in. 

Other than that, it was a fairly unoriginal teenage angst high school movie. 

As entertained as I was, I can't really recommend this for anything other than the soundtrack. 

2/5

It's a tough recommend this one, as it starts off so poorly, gets better and funnier in the middle, and has that typical ending. I was met with protests when I found this on Netflix a few weeks ago and we watched it as a family (my daughters are a fair bit grown up these days at 16 and 22) - and yet my 16 year old has watched this (at least) a further 3 times on her own and she doesn't even listen to metal - so the film and the younger demographic not to be underestimated here

I'm not sure I understand your criticism of the female lead having mental health issues though as a plot point, was it that she was female or that it didn't need it or that it wasn't properly represented?

The batman

I really like but didn't love this.  I felt 4/5 of the film was great.   The last 5th was a bit tepid and functional but not quite as interesting.  For that reason I'd give it 4/5.  

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

I'm not sure I understand your criticism of the female lead having mental health issues though as a plot point, was it that she was female or that it didn't need it or that it wasn't properly represented

I didn't feel like it was needed. I don't think it added anything and I'm not sure that anything would be lost by it not being there. It felt like it was tacked on for the sake of it. Almost like they were ticking a box. 

Might just be me, though. I might have missed something. As I said I'd had a good bit to drink before watching this, so I may well have completely missed the point. 

And now I'm worried that I'm coming across as ablist or something. Like I'm saying I was offended by it or something. I wasn't, by the way. 

22 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I didn't feel like it was needed. I don't think it added anything and I'm not sure that anything would be lost by it not being there. It felt like it was tacked on for the sake of it. Almost like they were ticking a box. 

Might just be me, though. I might have missed something. As I said I'd had a good bit to drink before watching this, so I may well have completely missed the point. 

And now I'm worried that I'm coming across as ablist or something. Like I'm saying I was offended by it or something. I wasn't, by the way. 

Ticking a box almost certainly- unless it was based on somebody real

7 hours ago, englishbob said:

Ticking a box almost certainly- unless it was based on somebody real

It didn't feel shoehorned in to me.

That's basically the lead in to why the main character ever considers her as anything more than a band person?  It also gives her some general agency in her attitudes that rise it a tiny bit above her just being a stock love interest.  Probably could have been done in other ways but seemed to make sense to me.

Tropey I guess but it was just another way to show someone perceived (either to themselves or others) as an outcast for whatever reason to be more than a specific label?

Moonfall

I'm a huge fan of Roland Emmerich's nonsense, so was disappointed to miss this at the cinema - jumped at the chance to watch it when it became available digitally though.

The story is utter nonsense, there's plenty of CGI destruction (although probably less than I'd have expected!) and America (Fuck Yeah!) - enjoyable popcorn nonsense that does exactly what it says on the tin.

3/5 - I'd have scored it higher, but it was no Independence Day: Resurgence.

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

Moonfall

I'm a huge fan of Roland Emmerich's nonsense, so was disappointed to miss this at the cinema - jumped at the chance to watch it when it became available digitally though.

The story is utter nonsense, there's plenty of CGI destruction (although probably less than I'd have expected!) and America (Fuck Yeah!) - enjoyable popcorn nonsense that does exactly what it says on the tin.

3/5 - I'd have scored it higher, but it was no Independence Day: Resurgence.

🤣😐🤨🤢🤮

Uncharted -2/5

I was in the mood for a decent action/mystery/adventure film. Unfortunately it didn't supply a good amount of any of those things. 

The Hunt

Excellent little thriller with Swank hamming it up in the latter portion of the film. Blumhouse deliver another solid film which doesn't outstay its welcome.

4/5

Uncharted

I really liked this as long as I forgot that it was supposed to be an Uncharted movie. A good fun romp with the leads playing off other extremely well. Of course both an totally miscast for their roles as far as the game goes which is a bit odd at first.

3.5/5

Demons

Utterly bonkers 80s horror movie written by Argento. I enjoyed it a lot but think a second watch is in order to fully appreciate it.

3/5

Recent watches 

No time to die - says a lot that it took me 4 different viewings to get through the whole thing.  2/5

Stillwater - Matt Damon visits his daughter who is in prison in Marseilles.  It's ok held my attention but don't really get the point of the film tbh. 2/5

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The killing of a sacred deer 

Are we allowed to use negative numbers to rate films? One of the worst things I’ve ever watched. 

I loved it. I can see why someone wouldn't like it though. 

It's chilling, bleak and unsettling. Going to rewatch this weekend.

17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The killing of a sacred deer 

Are we allowed to use negative numbers to rate films? One of the worst things I’ve ever watched. 

Could you list the other worst films you've seen? I feel like it may be the most solid selection of recommendations ever assembled.

Nabbed a free trial of NowTV Cinema, so caught up on some of the things I'd missed in the last year or two.

Monster Hunter.  Dreadful, but knowingly dreadful (I think).  There was some fun stuff buried in there somewhere.  2/5

Pig.  Absolutely adored this.  Beautifully shot, really engaging, great performances. 5/5

A Quiet Place Part 2.  Liked this more than I was expecting.  Loved the opening, and the rest of it was pretty solid too.  3/5

Nobody.  Took me a bit by surprise.  Way funnier that I thought it would be.  Some weird choices made in the first act, but then it just ramped up the mayhem and laughs.  4/5

Old.  Struggled to make it to the end of this one.  I was intrigued by the concept, but would have been better as a 10 minute Twilight Zone short. 1/5

Oh.  A 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.  Bingo.

Very happy with the 3 good ones.  So glad I watched them.