IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Nabbed a free trial of NowTV Cinema, so caught up on some of the things I'd missed in the last year or two.

Monster Hunter.  Dreadful, but knowingly dreadful (I think).  There was some fun stuff buried in there somewhere.  2/5

Pig.  Absolutely adored this.  Beautifully shot, really engaging, great performances. 5/5

A Quiet Place Part 2.  Liked this more than I was expecting.  Loved the opening, and the rest of it was pretty solid too.  3/5

Nobody.  Took me a bit by surprise.  Way funnier that I thought it would be.  Some weird choices made in the first act, but then it just ramped up the mayhem and laughs.  4/5

Old.  Struggled to make it to the end of this one.  I was intrigued by the concept, but would have been better as a 10 minute Twilight Zone short. 1/5

Oh.  A 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.  Bingo.

Very happy with the 3 good ones.  So glad I watched them.

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

The killing of a sacred deer 

Are we allowed to use negative numbers to rate films? One of the worst things I’ve ever watched. 

You're going to get some flack for this but, I'm with you. HATED it! Caught the Lobster in the cinema and loved it and was really looking forward to Yorgos' next, but this shit enraged me. I thought The Favourite was 50/50 so I'm still out on Yorgos.

Hated it.

The one bit I did like was where he was fighting the baddies in the dark and their sub-machine guns were going off, so you'd get a few frames of action, then darkness, then the guns would light him up again, strangling a different tosser on the other side of the frame. Good, felt like I was reading a comic.

That shot from above where they're following him like ants and he's holding the flair in the water.
I quite liked some of those more stylised bits and thought he should have really leant into that a lot more.

There was so much boring exposition.
I suppose it's to be expected since they were going with the whole detective angle, but the script was bobbins, and the riddles weren't very involving.
I'd rather have felt entirely left out, having 3-2-1 style mind melters which the boy wonder would decipher after a few seconds resty fist on chin/curly eyebrows.

There are a couple of weird bits, like that bit where the batmobile stalls, that felt like they were timed and played for laughs.

It should have been played straight, cut shorter, just "He's still in his batnappy, working out the kinks".
It felt like someone had been told to go for a laugh and they were sabotaging it.

I found the constant, dour, po-faced tone to be cringy, but at least it was consistent, and those moments didn't balance or compliment that at all.

The plot got "complicated" in a "no man left behind" superhero film way, you could tune out and let it wash over you if you wanted. Inconsequential bollocks about nightclubs and mayors.

The villain was really crap. I get that they were going for mocking that 4chan incel stereotype, and I think that could have worked, but it didn't feel like anything was kept back for the reveal. He seemed pretty naff and powerless right from the off.

I really like Barry Keoghan, but I don't think he's right for the joker, the pair of them were like bloody Beavis and Butthead at the end laughing away. Just didn't feel menacing at all.

I think this was a huge misfire overall. None-sinister villains, boring emo batman, an Alfred he'd seemingly met at a bar the previous night, an aesthetic and tone so flat and dull that the city felt sterile and unlived in.
Felt like a three hour long cry wank. Just horrible.

37 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh? I was under the impression that the film has had mixed reviews.

I was asked to elaborate, so there it is, my opinion on a film I watched.

Sorry I wasn't being serious I'm a bit drunk and responded in a humorous way. I'll read all of your issues tomorrow and see if I can articulate a lucid reply if that's ok. 

Murphy's Law (1986)

It's a pretty standard cop drama from Cannon, with Charles Bronson as a washed-up cop framed for murder having to clear his name. It's got a bit of sleaze (his ex-wife is a stripper), Bronson gets to do some pre-kill one-liners, so far so Cannon. But what makes this film more enjoyable is Kathleen Wilhoite's character, a petty criminal with a nice line in insults who ends up being Bronson's buddy throughout the film. She's really charming and funny, has some character development. The ending is really tense. No great shakes but very watchable.

3/5

Sometimes you just need to watch a really stupid, utterly daft, brilliantly ridiculous film.

I give you...

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Or, Lonely Island: The Movie.

Amazing performances, big laughs, catchy as fuck songs, some great cameos.

I absolutely love this film!! I swear, it gets funnier with every viewing.

5 mic-drops / 5.

8 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Sometimes you just need to watch a really stupid, utterly daft, brilliantly ridiculous film.

I give you...

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Or, Lonely Island: The Movie.

Amazing performances, big laughs, catchy as fuck songs, some great cameos.

I absolutely love this film!!

5 mic-drops / 5.

It flopped and kind of got lost this one. Its a classic especially if you love Lonely Island.

The Suicide Squad (2021)

The first ten minutes alone is better than the previous film, and then it just keeps on giving. It could be argued that Gunn is just making the same film over and over again by this point, but when they are this entertaining I have no complaints.

It feel like DC gave Gunn the freedom to do whatever the fuck he wanted (he is the only credited writer) which seems unbelievable, but DC didn't have much to lose after the travesty of the original Suicide Squad and so here we are in all of our gore-splattered R-rated glory. If only Disney/Marvel had been so willing with Solo and Ant-Man...

4/5

Palm Springs

Well, this is a bit different.  Groundhog Day meets insert romcom romcom. Sat down to watch this not expecting a great deal, but definitely came out with a smile on my face. Guy gets trapped in the same day over and over again and ends up accidentally pulling others into it as well.  It's pretty funny, it's sort of heartwarming, doesn't outstay it's welcome at 90mins and it has JK Simmons in it!

I'd give it a 

3/5

Along came Polly (Netflix)

I've seen bits and pieces of this over the years, then found myself just needing something light to watch on a boring train journey. It starts off OK, but then by the traditional middle section of the film it all of a sudden just races straight to the finish line with little to no substance whatsoever - like the running time was a factor. This film is 90 minutes long, that includes the credits at the end. Pointless exercise overall

1/5

25 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Along came Polly (Netflix)

I've seen bits and pieces of this over the years, then found myself just needing something light to watch on a boring train journey. It starts off OK, but then by the traditional middle section of the film it all of a sudden just races straight to the finish line with little to no substance whatsoever - like the running time was a factor. This film is 90 minutes long, that includes the credits at the end. Pointless exercise overall

1/5

Terrible casting of the manicured Aniston as the scruffy lead too. 

Still at least it introduced me to 'shart' and had Hoffman doing multiple Jesus Christ Superstar parts.

Op Center (1995)

From what I can gather this 114-minute TV movie was cut down from the 170-minute mini series based on Tom Clancy's spin-off military thrillers, with the organisation in the title tracking stolen Russian nuclear warheads. Wish I'd seen the full 3-hour version of this as despite the story feeling intact there was definitely stuff missing, sub plots not being fully fleshed out. It does manage to make a load of people sat around a table look and feel engrossing though, with good camera work and convincing performances. Doesn't rise much above a standard thriller of this type though, has a soapy side to it, no exploration of world politics or anything too deep.

2.5/5

3 poorly received movies…

Meet Joe Black

Not seen this since the cinema release when my impression was that it was good but far too long. 20 odd years later my opinion hasn’t changed a lot. The 3 leads are excellent and since the film was made I’ve become the father of a now adult daughter so I found much to relate to in the film. It made me think about my relationship with my daughter, how that it’s far from perfect but still infinitely better than the one I had with my father. 

I had never heard of Oscar and Tony award winning actor Marcia Gay Harden and also didn’t know the name Thomas Newman despite loving a couple of his film scores ( Shawshank and Skyfall spring to mind ).  Pitt looks younger here than he does in Seven, despite this being made after. 

It is self indulgent and not the lean masterpiece that Midnight Run is but I found it a very good watch. 

4/5

The Jackal.

Apparently one of the worst films of 1997, this was, apart from a few rubbish scenes, a very good thriller. Pottier is his usual dependable self and Gere and Willis were on top form. Nice to see Brucie playing a villain (is mortal thoughts the only other time he has done this?).  It can’t hold a candle to the original but is significantly different that I just didn’t care. Caton Jones never really found his rhythm as a director but puts in a decent job here. 

3/5

The Omen 4: The Awakening.

I’m a huge fan on the original 3 movies and the 2006 remake. This had such a bad reputation that I had avoided it until now.  Made for Canadian tv this starts of poorly but improves no end once Michael Lerner turns up as a PI looking into just who were the parents of the slightly evil adopted daughter of the US congressman. 

Nothing original here in any shape or form but I still had fun with it. 

2.5/5

Ambulance - 1/5. 

Went Into this blind, only knowing it was directed by Michael Bay and starred Jake Gylenhall (Jake being the reason I gave it a watch)

Michael Bay goes out of his way to try and make the viewer sick with a literal dizzying amount of rotating drone shots, 5 million jump cuts, atrocious editing and not to mention a script that would appeal to the dumbest of the dumb. It's atrocious, stupid and has nothing of substance whatsoever.  

The Lost City

Better than I had any right to expect. Silly fun that it gets away with due to the meta premise. Daniel Radcliffe is a bit rubbish in this; Brad Pitt steals the show.

2.5/5

On 30/04/2022 at 21:18, ImmaculateClump said:

Hated it.

The one bit I did like was where he was fighting the baddies in the dark and their sub-machine guns were going off, so you'd get a few frames of action, then darkness, then the guns would light him up again, strangling a different tosser on the other side of the frame. Good, felt like I was reading a comic.

That shot from above where they're following him like ants and he's holding the flair in the water.
I quite liked some of those more stylised bits and thought he should have really leant into that a lot more.

There was so much boring exposition.
I suppose it's to be expected since they were going with the whole detective angle, but the script was bobbins, and the riddles weren't very involving.
I'd rather have felt entirely left out, having 3-2-1 style mind melters which the boy wonder would decipher after a few seconds resty fist on chin/curly eyebrows.

There are a couple of weird bits, like that bit where the batmobile stalls, that felt like they were timed and played for laughs.

It should have been played straight, cut shorter, just "He's still in his batnappy, working out the kinks".
It felt like someone had been told to go for a laugh and they were sabotaging it.

I found the constant, dour, po-faced tone to be cringy, but at least it was consistent, and those moments didn't balance or compliment that at all.

The plot got "complicated" in a "no man left behind" superhero film way, you could tune out and let it wash over you if you wanted. Inconsequential bollocks about nightclubs and mayors.

The villain was really crap. I get that they were going for mocking that 4chan incel stereotype, and I think that could have worked, but it didn't feel like anything was kept back for the reveal. He seemed pretty naff and powerless right from the off.

I really like Barry Keoghan, but I don't think he's right for the joker, the pair of them were like bloody Beavis and Butthead at the end laughing away. Just didn't feel menacing at all.

I think this was a huge misfire overall. None-sinister villains, boring emo batman, an Alfred he'd seemingly met at a bar the previous night, an aesthetic and tone so flat and dull that the city felt sterile and unlived in.
Felt like a three hour long cry wank. Just horrible.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Once again we have a Batman film directed by a guy that has been inspired by the same three Batman comics as everyone else,  basically I won’t be happy until I get to see a batshit crazy movie based on Grant Morrison’s Batman run featuring Bat-Mite, Professor Pyg and of course a 10 year old trained assassin as Robin.