IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 28/04/2022 at 18:13, Couch Corpse said:

You're going to get some flack for this but, I'm with you. HATED it! Caught the Lobster in the cinema and loved it and was really looking forward to Yorgos' next, but this shit enraged me. I thought The Favourite was 50/50 so I'm still out on Yorgos.

Have you seen Dogtooth? His English language films have underwhelmed me, despite all their ideas being interesting. Always feel undercooked somehow. I saw Dogtooth first and the tone in parts was unreal. Killing of a Sacred Deer is hardly comfortable but there's still a difference in quality to me, more getting under your skin. 

Happening

Film adaptation of a semi-autobiogrpahical book about a young women trying to get an illegal abortion in France in the 60s.

Good, interesting film and a very tough watch at times that would probably be even tougher if you watch it after today's news from the U.S.

4/5

The Irishman - 5/5

Even better on repeat viewing. Although I will never understand why that infamous scene/shot with De Niro assaulting the shopkeeper made it in. It's one of the most insane and baffling decisions a director has ever made, even more so when one of the greatest directors of all time actually made the damn film. 🤣

7 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Have you seen Dogtooth?

No, but it's on the list to watch as a decider (I thought The Favourite was fine). He's one I'll keep an eye on, but he has a way to go to repair the damage done by Deer.

3 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

No, but it's on the list to watch as a decider (I thought The Favourite was fine). He's one I'll keep an eye on, but he has a way to go to repair the damage done by Deer.

I probably liked The Favourite most out of the 3, then The Lobster, then Deer. 

Not that you need convincing or anything of Dogtooth's quality (I'm sure it's probably polarising too, given mother! is, which I can't understand really why) but...in 2012...

Asked what some of his favorite movies were recently, David Lynch said he doesn’t see many films these days. Then, after a pause, he came up with the Greek-language arthouse torture movie “Dogtooth” (“a fantastic comedy,” he said). 

dunno about 'torture movie'

also... (because Lynch has said he's not a big film watcher as people would expect, that makes me more interested what he enthuses over)

But he hasn’t been a big fan of the latest work from a lauded American auteur. “Some people go nuts for ‘Tree of Life,’ ” he said. “I love Terry Malick. But ‘Tree of Life’ wasn’t my cup of tea.” Asked what he didn’t like, he repeated. “It wasn’t my cup of tea.”

The Sisters Brothers

An Annapurna produced western,  quiet contemplation of an age of history with a psycho gunslinger and some of the best gunfights in the dark.

A delight/5

Bone Tomahawk

omg 

Kurt Russell vs trogladyte cannibals

Deadwood/5

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The Sisters Brothers

An Annapurna produced western,  quiet contemplation of an age of history with a psycho gunslinger and some of the best gunfights in the dark.

A delight/5

Bone Tomahawk

omg 

Kurt Russell vs trogladyte cannibals

Deadwood/5

I remember loving the sisters brothers

3 From Hell

Netflix

Rob Zombie's trilogy end to the Firefly Clan saga..... and it was awful. Parts of the first and second films aren't bad. House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. This is just nasty. I don't understand why people keep funding Rob Zombie films. They're utter trash.

0/5

Metal Lords

Netflix

I quite enjoyed this and it's a fairly short film. Not overly funny for a comedy but enjoyable, light hearted and I thought the main cast were really good. 

3/5

28 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Incendies

Brilliant stuff and vying with Polytechnique for second place in the Villeneuve pantheon (after Enemy).

That’s big praise. This has been on my watch list for ages. 

Area 51 (2015)

I love me some found footage horror. This isn't it. Made by the guys who made Paranormal Activity, this is.... well technically I movie, I suppose. Two hours, takes 1 hour and 20 before anything interesting happens, which turns out isn't that interesting, and it goes all Twin peaks at the end and not in a good way.

1 Disappointed Scully out of 5.

file_606881_area-51-trailer.jpg

Zero Fucks Given 3/5 - A well made film about a woman navigating her 20's whilst working as cabin crew for a low cost airline. I came away left with a real sense of what a boring dystopia she was living in and Adèle Exarchopoulos gives an incredible performance.

Insomnia - 4/5

The little discussed film of Nolan's work. Always loved it. It has one hell of an atmosphere, always Intriguing and two great performances from Robins and Pacino. 

Everything everywhere all at once

The new film from Daniel’s (Swiss Army Man). Saw this last night at the BFI IMAX followed by a Q&A with Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert.

Wow, what an incredible film this is. It’s just bonkers. A multiverse hopping, martial arts comedy drama with a a heavy dose of surrealism.

The cast is amazing, but of particular note is Ke Huy Quan (of ‘Short Round’ and ‘Data’ fame) who just steals the show in my opinion. Really hoping this opens more doors for him going forward.

Hollywood needs to sit up and take notice. They shot it in 8 weeks on a budget of $25 million, and roped in a load of friends and collaborators to take care of all the fight sequencing, special effects and music. The whole thing is just off the charts insane.

5/5

Well, @Triple A just scored one 4.5. I don't like a 5 or a 10 point system, 5 isn't enough and 10 is too much and has no center. So people start to use half points, 3.5 etc.

1 - total crap devoid of any merit

2 - bad

3 - It's not bad, but uninspiring and pointless

4 - It's fine

5 - Good, you should seek it out but if you get the chance it's worth the watch

6 - Excellent, you should see this

7 - Everyone should see this

image.png.02b0d7818412c137e52420d638faa227.png

37 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Well, @Triple A just scored one 4.5. I don't like a 5 or a 10 point system, 5 isn't enough and 10 is too much and has no center. So people start to use half points, 3.5 etc.

2 - bad

4 - It's fine

Ok, but the thread title says to rate the last film you watched out of 5?

On the positive side, I suppose you got the bit of attention you were looking for!

14 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

If you use a 1-5 system then start half-pointing it's not really out of 5. My superior 7 system avoids messy half points 😉

If you use half points you can keep the ratings you post here consistent with the ones you give them on Letterboxd/IMDb/RateYourMusic!

1 hour ago, Couch Corpse said:

If you use a 1-5 system then start half-pointing it's not really out of 5. My superior 7 system avoids messy half points 😉

I just don't used half stars, I couldn't be bothered in trying to decide what did and didn't warrant a half star. 

1 - Awful

2 - Poor

3 - Good

4 - Great

5 - Excellent

It's quite simple but it does me just fine. Plus it means when I give something a high mark its not always about it being a "Masterpiece" but can easily be able how it made me feel watching it.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Ok, but the thread title says to rate the last film you watched out of 5?

On the positive side, I suppose you got the bit of attention you were looking for!

Hey, the man asked 🙃

So if I used 1 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 5 you'd be happy?

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

If you use half points you can keep the ratings you post here consistent with the ones you give them on Letterboxd/IMDb/RateYourMusic!

I use the schema above with the halfs on Letterboxed etc.

I like @Benny system but I just want a little bit more wiggle room around the middle.

2 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

2 - bad

4 - It's fine

No need to name me.  And loads of others use .5s.  It's not that serious, jeez.

Just now, Triple A said:

It's not that serious

I'm with you! Sorry, didn't mean to single you out, you were the first example when I scrolled up.

More than happy to drop it, in fact if a mod can delete these last few posts.