Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Adventure - 4/5 (Netflix)

Just sublime. Have a lot of love for the Apollo missions and loved this for bringing a fresh, thoroughly enjoyable angle to one of the most iconic achievements in human history.

The animation could have been gimmicky but instead felt the style captured the retro-future feel of the era. Also beautifully written and performed. Can Jack Black’s narration win an Oscar? He is note perfect.

That’s one entry in my top films of the year sorted.

(#395)

Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Went in blind to see this at the cinema, and was absolutely blown away. There's an entire career's worth of imagination packed into one film that made me laugh, get a little misty eyed, and generally be baffled at how they got away with doing so much. 

It impressed me an awful lot. In the first five minutes, I thought it might be tricky to keep up, but it sets out its stall pretty quickly and then all you can do is go along for the (excellent) ride.

4/5

Chip & Dale

Loads of fun, and ideal for the morning's hangover. I'm not really sure if there's much of value for kids in there, but for a man in his late 30s it was great. Tons of inventive gags and cameos, and just the right amount of irreverence.

4/5

The Lost City

Average. Does that thing common to modern comedy blockbusters where they seem to ad-lib a joke into the ground, way past the point where some sharp editing is needed.

2 out of 5

Top Gun: Maverick

Pitch (and Yaw)-perfect sequel to one of the most influential movies of the '80s.

A screenplay with just the right balance of source material reverence, heart & soul, and vision for the future, is executed through solid casting, strong performances all round and of course, jaw-dropping cinematography and ear-busting audio.

Not as quotable as the original movie, but still an easy (Mach) 5.

13 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

The Lost City

Average. Does that thing common to modern comedy blockbusters where they seem to ad-lib a joke into the ground, way past the point where some sharp editing is needed.

2 out of 5

That really is my pet peeve with most comedy films these days. It's time for that to give way to tight writing and directing. Trouble is that's hard work, whereas sticking a personality in, filming 3 hours of improv for a scene before editing it down to 3 minutes is so much less effort. 

The Funhouse
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082427/

Four teenagers visit a local carnival for a night of innocent amusement. They soon discover, however, that there is nothing innocent or amusing there at all.

A Tobe Hooper directed slasher from the early 80's about a group of annoying teenagers (who all look like they're pushing 30) who decide to spend the night in the haunted house of a traveling carnival. 

This was really good. Carnivals are a great location for this type of film and the production designers did some fine work on the sets - they perfectly captured the weirdness of these operations in a way that Del Toro failed to do in Nightmare Alley. The great Rick Baker deserves special praise for his work on the monster who reminded a lot of Gabriel from Malignant. And at 90 minutes there's no hanging about.

I had a blast with this. Probably not up there with Hoopers best work but it was good violent, sleazy, creepy stuff. 

4/5

Deep Blues (1992) - A documentary by a New York journalist travelling through parts of the US, featuring for the first third that Dave bloke from Eurythmics. If you like the blues then there will be something in this you like, it's not hugely insightful but like any good documentary it gives it's subjects time and should be applauded for that. 4/5

Uncharted - Never quite seems to get the mix right, although I liked the ship fight at  the end, however ridiculous it was. 2/5

Hercules in New York (1970) - So low effort it's painful, despite that there is something curiously compelling about Schwarzenegger's belligerent Hercules. I'd probably give this an extra mark if Hercules wasn't dubbed. 2/5

Venom Let there be Carnage / Doctor Strange in the multiverse of madness

These were pretty much the same film for me, sequels to films I loved intently, both starting extremely well for the first two thirds before an awful CGI filled climax with no stakes whatsoever. I had fun with both of these but both were significantly inferior to the original. 

3/5

Killer Joe

What the actual fuck did I just watch. Quite horrible and quite brilliant at the same time. I felt extremely dirty for finding Temple attractive, was I supposed to? Almost Lynchian in it’s bonkersness this has some fantastic performances, particularly MM, temple and THC. Friedkin is such an odd director, I admire (almost) all his work, but don’t love any of his films.

3.5/5

Tenebrae.

On the surface I only liked the final 20 minutes of this. It’s often amateurish in its execution and poorly acted. But it’s stayed with me and I think it had a certain something that’s almost unquantifiable. As I experience more of Argento’s body of work the more respect I gain for his skills as a director. 

4/5

The Incredible Hulk (1977)

The original TV movie for the popular series from the late 70s/early 80s is actually a surprisingly grounded drama that, despite some dodgy effects, manages to be a quality production for a TV pilot. I've not much experience of the comics so I can only go with what I saw here. Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno were really well cast and are at the heart of what makes this so enjoyable. The cinematography is especially effective, classy. Add in the great music, especially the memorable, tear-jerking piano theme. Obviously it sets up the TV series that followed, with investigative journalist Jack Colvin on the case. This show used to scare the shit out of me when I was 7 or 8, and even now I get that strange feeling watching it.

3.5/5

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers - 3/5 (Disney+)

Nobody knew we wanted or needed a post-modern, tongue-in-cheek meta Chip ‘n Dale reboot, but we’ve got it and it’s super fun.bWent in cold and glad I did as there are some really good gags* throughout.

Surreal, thoughtful and heartfelt. This is nostalgia done right.

Spoiler

Especially anything with Ugly Sonic :lol:

(#401)

Glastonbury the Movie in Flashback - 4/5 (Netflix)

Absolutely loved this - it’s a documentary about 1993 Glasto that perfectly captures what it was like to be at the big one around that time, the crossover between a hippy gathering and the music behemoth it was set to become. It’s mostly crowd footage and heard conversation with the odd music bit, most notably Omar and Ozric Tentacles, which again sum up what the festival is (was?) all about.

Lovely narrative tricks, amazing weather and the Friday to Sunday set up makes you feel like you were really there, especially if you ever attended during the nineties.

8 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I went in 92. So may give that watch.  

Likewise. My only visit and one of the best weekends I've ever had. Highlights we're the Ozrics followed by The Orb then The Shamen. I also remember watching Tom Jones on the Sunday afternoon lol

21 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Likewise. My only visit and one of the best weekends I've ever had. Highlights we're the Ozrics followed by The Orb then The Shamen. I also remember watching Tom Jones on the Sunday afternoon lol

Me too it was the festival that introduced me to the orb and also 808 state and that was me into dance then. 

Had an awesome time. 

The Core

This has aged a lot worse than I remembered. Back in the day I thought this was a fun spin on the disaster movie, with a silly plot, numerous deaths for no good reason and an easy to follow plot that had some fun along the way. It was also the first time I saw a lot of criticism written about poor science in a film - wasn't the director given a stupid amount of grief?

Watching nearly 20 years after release and, as expected, the CGI and effects are pretty shonky. What did surprise me was how bad the acting was. Swank in particular is awful, which was surprising because she really can act. Eckhart also veers between horribly overacting and being aloof, DJ Qualls is as DJ Qualls does and Bruce Greenwood just looks a bit embarrassed to be there.

It isn't all bad though. Stanley Tucci is clearly having a whale of a time and I like Delroy Lindo - though having seen a lot of him in The Good Fight, he has exactly the same mannerisms and movements; I wonder if he based his character in that on his character here, or if that is just how he acts?

The plot is, naturally, incredibly silly in every respect and it's a bit slower going than I remembered, with those pointless deaths still being pointless, making it a bit of a chore to go through. Unlike Mystery Men, which I enjoyed recently on a trip down memory lane (and could enjoy in the future again), this is definitely one that won't be getting any further repeat viewings.

1.5/5

12 hours ago, cassidy said:

Me too it was the festival that introduced me to the orb and also 808 state and that was me into dance then. 

Had an awesome time. 

Should post this in the Glasto thread but I'm drunk and on a tablet and already typed out (mods could you move this?)

I did manage to remember to take some photos over the weekend but most of them turned out to be not photos of what I actually was seeing at the time lol.

The best parts happend after the bands finished playing. Was amazing wandering around and just finding shit that was happening eg stumbled on some mini unofficial stage that had a band and some dancers dressed totally in black except some UV markings and lit only by a black light playing some mind bending trance stuff. Lost count of the number of mini raves we ended up at.

I have many boring tales to tell lol

Spoiler
Spoiler

Crusty girl who was working there and was supposed to exchange tickets for wristbands sold us all wristbands for £20 each. She asked if we'd mind if she joined us for a few beers and a smoke.  Introduced her to Buckfast (we took a crate of 24 bottles) and she then decided to go topless and sat getting drunk/baked with us.

Hitched a ride into the town for supplies on the Saturday and got picked up on the way back by some guys who had been at an illegal rave a few miles away the night before. I really shouldn't have got in the car as they were in as bad a nick as I was. When we got through the security check, I heard a banging  noise from the boot of the car. They'd smuggled 2 of their mates in who didn't have tickets!

My only pic of The Ozrics before I became physically and mentally unable to operate a camera

001.thumb.jpg.b09cfda308deb1871e2af8bcc6b50dd7.jpg

And me on the right with my now sadly departed mate watching the Wicker Man burn on the SundayFB_IMG_1654036946234.thumb.jpg.66c5b3bbf6bbe449c7d171910d817841.jpg

Me on top of our camper van waiting for sunrise

004-1.thumb.jpg.6e7eead09c6b30f5363abf5a049b4488.jpg

The Incredible Hulk Returns (1988)

Six years after the end of the TV series, three TV movies were made, this being the first, with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno returning, although the tone here is much more camp, not least due to the appearance of Thor (this was a backdoor pilot for a potential Thor TV series). I really liked the grounded melancholy of the original series, so this move to a more superhero-style production felt a bit off to me. The plot is simplistic, weak, and the whole thing felt really cheap, with the Hulk's scenes lacking, although Ferrigno still looked and acted the part. Seeing Tim Tomerson in this made me want to watch Trancers again.

2.5/5

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Remains the most batshit Alien film to date, and probably the worst, although it has Ron Perlman and Michael Wincot. It's more of a JeanPierre Jeanut film than an Alien, and I just saw was written by Joss Whedon, and suddenly a lot of things make more sense. Still, I enjoyed it.

3 hybrid xenomorphs out fo 5

The Eye (2002)

I wanted to watch the Korean original after seeing this scene on youtube:

But I could only find the 2002 US remake with Jessica Alba.

It were shit. Only got halfway through.

0 remakes that miss the point entire out of 5

Men (2022)

This was quite the scene.

Alex Garland's third film as director is quite the departure from the brilliant sci-fi of Ex Machina and the nice looking, but not my bag, Annihilation. This is a horror film that, I think, is an allegorical tale of misogyny and/or grief but to tell the story it runs through a whole grab bag of horror tropes - folk horror, body horror, a dash of cosmic horror, and a generous serving of home invasion and final girl. Superficially, it is the story of Harper, a young woman (played brilliant by Jessie Buckley) whose husband commits suicide after she tells him that their marriage is no longer working. To recover from the trauma she rents a lovely old manor house in the Cotswolds for a couple of weeks. Once there she encounters a range of strange and usually quietly aggressive village folk (all played by Rory Kinnear with some characters being much more successful than others), who increasingly intrude into her life/mind along with the pagan Green Man symbology she encounters in the local church. This, to put it mildly, all escalates towards one of the most unusual scenes I've seen in a film in many a year.

It is trippy, unsettling, occasionally extremely visceral, always intriguing, and I've not been able to get it out of my head since watching it yesterday afternoon. 

It's going to take a few more viewings to unpack further as, after the first viewing, I'm unsure just how strong some of the elements are as there is not a great deal to Harper's backstory which might explain the manifestations she encounters or how deeply she embraces the Green Man and it's meaning. Maybe there doesn't need to be one as it is could be a broader tale using Harper as a representation of the suffering of many women. 

4/5

On 22/05/2022 at 08:56, ScouserInExile said:

The Bad Guys

Cracker this one.

Loved the art style (probably because I'm so used to Disney / Pixar stuff). Full of great characters and voice performances. Really entertaining story. Doesn't go on too long. Might have been a little short, in fact.

Just really, really good start to finish.

5/5 all day long.

Took the kids along to see this today, I'd second that the art style is just fantastic!

The movie was really enjoyable - kinda like an animated Ocean's 11, but I'd not rush to watch it again... Sure it'll be re-watched when it inevitably lands on Netflix though! 

100 minutes was the perfect length for my 5 year old (who struggles to sit still for 10...) but I'd agree, I'd not have been disappointed if it was longer.

I want to say higher than 3/5, but not quite 4/5!

On 02/06/2022 at 06:37, Mikes said:

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Remains the most batshit Alien film to date, and probably the worst, although it has Ron Perlman and Michael Wincot. It's more of a JeanPierre Jeanut film than an Alien, and I just saw was written by Joss Whedon, and suddenly a lot of things make more sense. Still, I enjoyed it.

3 hybrid xenomorphs out fo 5

I've always thought this would be far more revered if the Alien name and franchise weren't attached - basically Jeunet does sci-fi.

Yeah, its still bonkers, but i love it regardless.

Margin Call. 

2/5.

People really like this but I dont understand why unless you got a crush on the actors. The plot is interesting, the leads are good, but the movie itself is pointless and boring. I guess its an insider thing. 

The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk (1989)

Second of the TV movies, this one similar to the last, just as divorced from the original series and more comic-related, although this time less daft, with a stronger story. Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno are back, with Bixby directing. Similar to the last film there's more Marvel cross-synergy in the shape of the blind lawyer Matt Murdock aka Daredevil, and John Rhys-Davies plays his nemesis Wilson Fisk. A cheap production but very watchable. Daredevil comes across miles better than Thor did previously.

3/5

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

Margin Call. 

2/5.

People really like this but I dont understand why unless you got a crush on the actors. The plot is interesting, the leads are good, but the movie itself is pointless and boring. I guess its an insider thing. 

Explain it to me like I'm a particularly dumb labrador.