Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

I watched moonfall about a week ago and i don't know Roland emmerich but I wouldn't be suprised if he was 9 years old.   

For those of us with kids moonfall is like the episode of bluey where the kids discuss how they will chase down the parent and the parents will try and get away.  But it's about the moon falling (Bluey as an aside would get 5 stars in this thread I think it's great).

Moonfall gets 2.5

The Virtuoso

Popped up on Netflix and noticed it stars my man crush Anthony Hopkins  Anson Mount - so gave it a try - god it's awful.

Maybe a much tighter edit and dropping the patronising Deckard style voice-over would have helped but then you wouldn't actually be left with much.

2/5  - would have been 1/5 but I liked the speech Hopkins gives and Anson's coat.

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Difficult to criticise as it ticks all the boxes when it comes to a Mortal Kombat film, albeit without the character of the 1995 film. It has the characters, decent fighting, proper bone-splitting and bloody fatalities, and a suitably overdone remix of the original theme tune. The last 20 minutes or so is pure fighting, really ramps things up. It's not perfect but it does the job and is a good time generally.

3/5

Decided to rewatch Kathryn Bigelow's magnum opus tonight, by which I obviously mean:

Strange Days

It's been years since I last watched it, and I'd forgotten just how great the music and visual design* are. Also my favourite example of the "James Cameron correctly identifies the police as a force of oppressive evil" genre, pipping even T2.

It helps that the cast is almost uniformly excellent, of course, though Fiennes' accent always feels off. That it remains thrilling even when you know what's coming is testament to the claustrophobic direction and suitably manic performances.

Not quite the most convincing storyline in the world, and the occasional "how were you ever smart enough to work vice?" moment, but still a classic. And did I mention that the soundtrack is great?

4/5

*outwith the hairnet tech and The Wig "twist"

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

Decided to rewatch Kathryn Bigelow's magnum opus tonight, by which I obviously mean:

Strange Days

It's been years since I last watched it, and I'd forgotten just how great the music and visual design* are. Also my favourite example of the "James Cameron correctly identifies the police as a force of oppressive evil" genre, pipping even T2.

It helps that the cast is almost uniformly excellent, of course, though Fiennes' accent always feels off. That it remains thrilling even when you know what's coming is testament to the claustrophobic direction and suitably manic performances.

Not quite the most convincing storyline in the world, and the occasional "how were you ever smart enough to work vice?" moment, but still a classic. And did I mention that the soundtrack is great?

4/5

I had completely forgotten that the the "right here, right now" line in the Fatboy Slim song came from Angela Basset in this film.

One of the few films to actually feel cyberpunky. Mad to think that they had to invent a light 35mm camera that could be handheld for the POV sequences. And that Aphex Twin was one of the performers playing in the party scene.

CD Projekt RED took a lot of visual and plot inspiration from this, I think.

Rolling Vengeance (1987)

A young trucker gets his family wiped out by a bunch of redneck brothers whose father is Ned Beatty, owner of the local titty bar. So the young trucker builds a giant monster truck with flames shooting out of it and goes on a revenge rampage.

What I liked about this is that, despite the crazy premise, everyone plays it pretty much straight. There's no knowing winks to the camera. I suppose that's to be expected given the era this was made, but even back then someones must've thought this is a nutso premise, so let's play it totally for laughs. But they don't. The acting is a cut above for this type of film, especially from the lead and his girlfriend who play it so earnestly you can't help but root for them.

Scenery chewing duties are handed to Ned Beatty and he's brilliantly scuzzy.

The best monster truck revenge movie you'll ever see.

3.5 out of 5

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

Strange Days

4/5

Did you watch this on a streaming service ? Justwatch says its not streaming anywhere in the UK atm but isn't always 100%.

Quite fancy a rewatch.

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

Did you watch this on a streaming service ? Justwatch says its not streaming anywhere in the UK atm but isn't always 100%.

Quite fancy a rewatch.

Blu-ray, I'm afraid :(

Elvis

Maybe seeing this on a small screen detracted from the experience too much, but regardless of that I found it completely unpalatable. It zipped around without having anything to grab onto. I just couldn’t tune into it and found it equally exhausting and boring. 1/5

Top Gun Maverick.

Ok, this is going to upset some of you, but this was rubbish.

There, I've said it! the flying was excellent, we had Tom do a bit of running,. Riding a bike without a helmet in a sunset, check. Sweaty buff people mainlining testosterone. Fine, boxes ticked. 

But. There was no character development, exemplified but Bob sitting it the back of the plane and being as absolutely anonymous as the moment we met him. 

Hangman was a one note joke, the lady pilot was only there to tick that box. No one was shown to be the "best of the best", no one progressed or improved their trench run training. And then Tom flew it like an old man, "Use the force Goose" and won the bag with a cuddly toy and suddenly he's on the team. Hoo Yarrr. 

Apparently Tom and young Goose didn't need anyone else in their plans, despite the F18 being a two seater!

It was as predictable as a wet bank holiday weekend and just as exciting. 

It gets 1 point for Tom running. That's all and you can't convince me otherwise ...

1 splashed bogie out of 5

Two harsh reviews of Samaritan there.  Yes, it wasn't great, but it spent its time well enough to earn it a 3/5 from me.  It did leave a few unanswered questions and there was some stupid character actions just to put people where the plot needed them to be, but no worse than any other superhero movie in my opinion.

Licorice Pizza

I've wanted to watch this form ages because I really like coming of age dramas.

Well, it's languid.  More flatteringly I'd say it enjoys itself in its moments.  It has quirks, and indulges them for purposes of...universe building I guess.  For instance, John Michael Higgins plays the owner of a Japanese/American restaurant.  When he talks, he does so in heavily accented English.  And the wife/co-manager to whom he does this to changes twice in the movie "because they get divorced".

A bit like Napoleon Dynamite, you you go along with it because it takes enough time to build a believable universe of unbelievable characters and scenes.

Both leads are good, if gawky.  Which is the point I guess.

The soundtrack has some corkers in it.

2/5 if this shit bothers you, a positive 3/5 if it doesn't.

Copied from the thread:

Nope

I loved Get Out as a complete film, and thought Us had some exceptional set pieces but didn't stick the landing. Which is ok, horror films rarely do, and I don't judge them harshly for that.

Nope left me cold though. It felt flat, the stakes felt low and I didn't care what happened to anyone. The performances were great, but they were hanging off something too empty and flimsy for me to attach to them.

Spoiler

I appreciate his commentary about our prurient nature, but largely keeping the creature transformation off-screen felt like a missed opportunity rather than a clever observation.

The goodwill Jordan Peele has (rightfully) earned seems to have people tying themselves in knots discovering subtext in this. But the connections are all so wafer thin that it's just not on the screen in any meaningful way. Natty background easter eggs do not a story make.

I think it's perfectly fine to see Peele as a human who is capable of middling output as well as excellent output. Anyone who watched his sketch show can attest to that. 

I'll be watching Get Out and Us again, but cannot imagine what would bring me back to this.

2/5

Lightyear

There is nothing inherently wrong with this but it all feels a bit safe, and there isn't really much right with it either.  I enjoyed it but it's not in the same league as Tier A Pixar stuff.  Beige.

3/5

Moonfall

What the absolute fuck is this supposed to be? :lol:

Seriously, what were the writers on when they were doing this?  It fails to achieve anything original, yet at the same time, can't help but be entertaining - whether it's intentional with its fantastic visuals, or just plain atrocious with the far fetched nonsense and execrable script.

Impossible to rate.  Some days I might give it a 4/5, other times it wouldn't be more than 1/5.  Advice: get drunk then watch it.  On a big telly.

Prey

Sometimes, I think studios and directors forget the basics and try too hard.  A decent action thriller doesn't have to be that complicated.  Prey manages to strike the perfect balance - and it's easily the best in the series since the original.  Really enjoyed this.

4/5

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

2.5/5 for The Stallone, at 70+ he is still making action flicks!

This. The movie itself is completely average but nice to see Stallone at 70+ still putting in the effort.

Nope 3/5 - Felt a slog to watch, but there is a few decent bits in it. Extra 0.5 for use of title in the script :D

On 26/08/2022 at 10:24, ZOK said:

Finding Vivian Maier - 4/5 (Prime)

A stunning doc about a young historian who buys some negatives by chance at an auction, which results in him bringing an undiscovered genius of street photography to public awareness. The film follows his investigations into her life and works, and the reminiscences of her charges as a nanny, the job which allowed her the freedom to shoot.

If you find humans interesting, this film is gold. 

Thanks for brining this to my attention.

It is indeed a stunning documentary and, my word, what an absolutely incredible talent Vivian was. To think that all those tens of thousands of astonishing images might have been lost had the fella not only bought that first lot,  recognised the rare quality of them, and then do all the detective work to piece so much of her story together. Makes me wonder how many other amazing artists are sitting on mountains of art that they either cannot, or do not want to, share with the world.

Brilliant film.

4/5

Sheryl - 3/5 (work screener)

Pretty standard doc about Sheryl Crow, but I like Sheryl Crow, so it was fun spending 90-minutes in her company. No major revelations, but damn can she write a good pop tune.

Firewall - 2/5

Mid-2000s tech thriller with sparing amounts of tech in it. Harrison Ford gets progressively grumpy, probably from watching the rushes, and Paul Bettany phones in a stock villain performance yet still remains the best thing in a pretty drab thriller.

The Adventures of Pluto Nash - 2/5

It’s bad, but not that bad, not when you’ve sat through films like The Ninth Passenger (2018), Bearry (2021) or I Want Candy (2007) recently. But it’s still pretty bad. Eddie Murphy sort of forgets he’s in a film until about twenty minutes from the end, Rosario Dawson puts in such a shift because she’s a gosh-darn professional and Randy Quaid plays a really weird robot butler bodyguard thing that probably sounded like a good idea in the first draft. A curiosity to tick off the list.

(#642-644)

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Thanks for brining this to my attention.

It is indeed a stunning documentary and, my word, what an absolutely incredible talent Vivian was. To think that all those tens of thousands of astonishing images might have been lost had the fella not only bought that first lot,  recognised the rare quality of them, and then do all the detective work to piece so much of her story together. Makes me wonder how many other amazing artists are sitting on mountains of art that they either cannot, or do not want to, share with the world.

Brilliant film.

4/5

Glad you liked it, it’s really something isn’t it? We had a look and there’s an exhibition of her stuff on in the UK at the moment but it’s in Milton Keynes.

Took the boy to see DC League of Super-Pets yesterday.

He loved it, I thought it was okay.

A few light chuckles and myriad zaniness as The Rock and Kevin Hart do their odd couple schtick as a pair of CG dogs who have to help rescue the Justice League.

2.5 superpowers / 5 from me.

4 / 5 from the boy.

Watched a few docs today, including:

Ben Stokes: Phoenix from the Ashes - 3/5 (Prime)

Not as strong as The Edge, which is well worth a look of you like sports documentaries, but still a decent look at Ben Stokes’ recent years and his battles on and off the field.

Reliving the England New Zealand ODI and Ashes are highlights, with the latter offering some wonderfully grating sledging by the Aussies. Stokes is a brilliant player, and while this isn’t quite a brilliant doc, he does come across well. Elite sport is such a mental minefield, do have huge respect for those that reach the pinnacle of their chosen sport, especially those who do so wrestling demons. Plus, a million times over, fuck The S*n newspaper into the ground.

Building Jerusalem - 3/5 (Prime)

A retelling of England’s 2003 Rugby World Cup triumph, with prominent talking heads in the shape of Jonny Wilkinson, Clive Woodward and Martin Johnson. Is fun revisiting the change from amateur to professional status in the lead-in to what led to the 2003 campaign, and there’s some good footage from the England camp.

Obviously, if you’re not a fan of England rugby, you might want to skip this one.

(up to #649)