Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Le Mans '66 - 4K Blu-Ray

I was looking forward to this, but its a bit too long and the driving sequences are very unengaging - I suspect that it's due to the copious amounts of CGI used that fails to inject any sort of feel to it. Due to these reasons I don't think I'll ever want to watch this again

This was called Ford vs Ferrari in other countries outside the UK, but really should have been called Ford vs Ford! 

2.5/5

21 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Samaritan

Amazon

Stallone is an aging super hero in a rundown neighborhood who befriends a local boy who is a fan of this Samaritan character. 

It's utterly dreadful. The final fight is ridiculous and there's nothing redeemable about it. 

0/5 

I gave it a 1/5 just for Stallone being in an action film - shame he picked the wrong one.

Guardians of the galaxy 2.

Watched this at the secret cinema last night. 

I still think it's a great film and spending two hours before hand trying to trade old CDs and drinking beer with my son made it even better. 

An excellent time was had by all. 

4 classic 80s CDs traded out of 5.

Jurassic Galaxy (2019)

It's a super-low budget dinosaur movie. The biggest problem here is it takes itself seriously enough that it's difficult to have a bit of b-movie fun with. There's a baseline attempt at competence here that takes away from the pluckiness I like in this sort of production. The best moment in this was where the two guys took on two raptors at the same time, that gave me a chuckle, nowhere enough to save the whole film though.

1.5/5

On 07/09/2022 at 17:44, englishbob said:

I gave it a 1/5 just for Stallone being in an action film - shame he picked the wrong one.

After doing a fire warden course last week. The end really annoyed me. That kid would've burst into flames. It's a terrible film. 

The Conversation (1974)

This is seen as a classic and I can completely see why. 

The film is described as too slow by its detractors but it's this same slow build that I find so compelling as we watch Harry fall deeper and deeper into his own head and slowly becoming detached for reality. The more and more he listens to the conversation, the more he becomes an architect of his own destruction.

It feels like a film that can be viewed from two different angles depending on the type of person you are. It could easily be seen as a straight forward thriller where you take everything that's happening on screen as face value, or you could dig under the surface a little bit more and find yourself analysing Harry and his mind, questioning his actions.

Spoiler

For example, everything we see with the murder could entirely be from his own imagination. We as the audience don't know if what he thinks went down actually did or didn't. Did that toilet really back up with blood or is his mind breaking? I find the ending both terrifying and sad in equal measures. Are they really out to get him or is he just falling deeper into a paranoia that he can't pull himself out of?

It really feels like as a film that people can get something out of it whichever way you chose to view it. It also reinforces just how fantastic Hackman was. They certainly don't make them like him anymore.

4/5

The Souvenir (2019)

This is a an odd one really because it's a film that kind of just plods along telling a fairly simple tale about a timid young filmmaker falling for an older charismatic gentlemen and us just watching their relationship and mundane life unfold. 

That obviously doesn't sound all that exciting and I do get why people don't like this film as it's slow, ponderous and it always seems to be looking for a hook. But as this is a semi-autobiographical piece, you understand why it's like that, you know these are real life moments and situations that the director has been through and that she's trying to bring that to the screen in the best way possible. For me she succeeded and the film really clicked with me.

What also clicked with me was her style of musical cues and editing, I found the jump cuts and quick pace of the timeline pushed the story on nicely. So whilst the scenes seem to move slow, the story itself never stops and is always on the move. 

I had a nice time with Julie and Anthony, just watching their weird relationship unfold until you start to see his manipulative and gaslighting on full show that leaves you wanting to scream through the screen for Julie to wake up and leave him. Both Honor Swinton Byre and Tom Burke made me believe these people fell for each other and whilst on the surface you might look at them and find it odd or irrational, it just works, it just is and there's nothing more to it than that.

It's a film where nothing much happens and it all hinges on if you believe the central relationship...and I did.

4/5

--------------------------

The Souvenir: Part II (2022)

(mild spoilers)

I seem to be in the minority on this one because I actually enjoyed Part I more. Something about the mundanity of it all and the relationship between Julie & Anthony griped me much more than the aftermath. I enjoyed being in their company and complexed relationship so with this I found that missing Anthony from the story was to the films detriment.

Her clashes with the other film students/professors was nowhere near as compelling and her experiences with Anthony made her a bit more unlikeable in this. His gaslighting and manipulation seemed to have rubbed off her a bit and I found myself not caring about her closure as much as the film wanted me to. 

It still had all the style, direction and editing that I enoyed from the first but I just didn't click with the story or Julie in the same way, even though this is really just an extension of the first film rather than your traditional sequel get up.

3/5

Fresh (2022)

This really surprised me and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to as most modern horrors I struggle to make a connection with.

The plot is both ridiculous and terrifying in it's own right because as ott as it seems, it also genuinely feels like something that could be going on in the world right now. It's pretty horrific to think about, because you just might never know who a person is until it's too late.

The film does a wonderful job of playing around with and not getting trapped in too many of the usual movie tropes. There's one moment near the end which was absolutely perfect in this regard and made me almost cheer at the TV.

Daisy Edger-Jones and Sebastian Stan absolutely nail it in the two lead roles and it's great to see Stan do something other than brooding Winter Soldier man.

For a first-time feature length film, Mimi Cave has absolutely nailed it. She's brought together really good directing & editing, with wonderful use of music and two shining performances to create a fun, effective and at times tense horror.

If you've not watched this. Go in without watching the trailer or reading up about it too much. There's a lot to discover that the trailer just spoils.

4/5

Equalizer 2 (2018)

Denzel Washington continues to seek peace through the spilling of blood, but no amount of deaths will bring back his wife.

Or something. Great scene at the end where Washington ganks Pedro Pascal while he's spawn camping, though.

Five where-does-this-guy's-money-come-from out of five.

4d598c378e04c4dcf9f053067e41aab670d139f5

Crimes of the Future - Fuck knows out of/5

I usually like or are fascinating by Cronenbergs work. But this...I don't know. It's basically an art house film. 

Watched it while shattered on a plane and it just seemed like nonsense pretentious bullshit. The performances were...off, or just terrible. Again, I don't bloody know. 

I might try and watch it again, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. 

Old woman sitting next to me on the plane must have been very horrified and confused. 

Phi Slama Jama (ESPN 30 for 30 - 3/5 (Disney+)

After a pretty barren run finally watched something of note. The ESPN 30 for 30 docs are usually pretty high quality, with good footage and access to talking heads. This one goes into the story of the early-80s college basketball phenom that was the Houston Cougars, perhaps the greatest team to never win the NCAA (not a huge spoiler, the doc tells you as much in the opening minutes)

While the feature-length doc is a fun look back at the Coogs' visits to the Final Four, it also becomes a search for one of the team's stars, Benny Anders, who more-or-less completely removed himself from the spotlight following an ignominious end to his college career. A fun 80-minutes or so.

(#673)

Spider-Man No Way Home: The More Fun Stuff Version

Third time I've seen NWH but first time at the cinema. The cinema is definitely the place to see this!!

I enjoyed watching it at home but on a massive screen in a comfy, reclining chair with a ridiculous sound system - yes please.

After three viewings I don't find the ending as depressing as I first did.

My son (who has also seen it before) really enjoyed it too.

It's made me want to go back and watch the other 5 non-Holland Spideys again.

5 multiverse villains / 5!!

Oh my, it's been so many years since I've even thought about Cinema Paradiso, never mind watched it. It's the very movie that made me realize that there's more to this stuff than the action and thriller bog standard fare that I'd gotten used to consuming.

It opened my eyes and my mind to so many things I'd never have given a second look to without it. It's a lovely film.

51 minutes ago, Camel said:

Probably belongs in the controversial opinions thread, but I watched it for the first time ever fairly recently and while I enjoyed it, something about it being just that little bit too saccharine really niggled me.

I think it helps if you remind yourself it’s about ten years removed from being a spaghetti western. But that aside, it’s just a waterfall of perfectly realised film. 

Catch Me If You Can

Rewatch, perhaps the fifth viewing by now?

It’s just so timeless and full of fun and charm!

Delightful Spielbergian touches - e.g., the shot of the three handguns coming into frame in time with music, is absolutely iconic.

There isn’t a single dodgy performer - Martin Sheen at the dinner table, assessing Leo DiCaprio’s character without saying a word, was completely real.  Various other minor characters also mesmerise - great casting all round.  And our boy Leo - he’s just so damn good!  Totally believable, I get the impression that he likes playing roguish characters the most, following this and the also-amaze Wolf of Wall Street.

I might stump up for a 4K version of this if it’s out or coming out, despite having seen it so many times already.

This movie is a personal fave - a terrific character study (and social commentary piece too?), that is very well put together and doesn’t take itself too seriously without becoming gauche.

The Long Good Friday (1980)

The original modern British gangster film, so many have tried but never come close to this classic. The setting captures the rise of Thatcher-era London superbly, with aspiration, ambition, entrepreneurship no matter the consequences. Bob Hoskins was born for this role, he totally owns it. The story is delivered effectively and with a punch, no little messing about, which works well. Although I've seen this a few times I'd only just noticed one of the guys at the swimming pool was a young Pierce Brosnan in his first film role. The soundtrack is great in that late-70s/early-80s fresh, modern sort of way too.

4.5/5

Moonfall (2022)

Roland Emmerich in cruise control here, you know exactly what to expect going in. At times it felt like a best-of compilation of his previous films, with added CGI. Naturally the premise is superbly ludicrous and mostly delivers, thankfully leaving the ultimate mystery unexplained. Law of diminishing returns applies hugely here, there are only so many times you can get slapped in the face with a computer-generated blizzard or have a stirring speech over a montage of awestruck Americans before jadedness sets in. It is fun, mind.

3/5

Gemini Man (2019)

Potentially interesting twist on the ageing operative wanting to retire and having to survive being assassinated, but despite some decent action it somehow loses steam, not least down to Clive Owen's rather limp baddie who despite doing some horrible things doesn't amount to much. Not enough of anything really.

2.5/5

On 09/09/2022 at 11:43, Ry said:

Crimes of the Future - Fuck knows out of/5

I usually like or are fascinating by Cronenbergs work. But this...I don't know. It's basically an art house film. 

Watched it while shattered on a plane and it just seemed like nonsense pretentious bullshit. The performances were...off, or just terrible. Again, I don't bloody know. 

I might try and watch it again, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. 

Old woman sitting next to me on the plane must have been very horrified and confused. 

Cronenberg's second ever film is on YouTube if your interested. 

7 hours ago, Vimster said:

Gemini Man (2019)

Potentially interesting twist on the ageing operative wanting to retire and having to survive being assassinated, but despite some decent action it somehow loses steam, not least down to Clive Owen's rather limp baddie who despite doing some horrible things doesn't amount to much. Not enough of anything really.

2.5/5

Clive Owen has done a decent scifi film, it was called Anon. 

A Ciambra - 4/5 (MUBI)

This is a superb film about a Romani kid in Italy negotiating his low life hustle and the life choices that get thrown his way. The lead is brilliant, and the camera style that keeps him in almost every shot gives the film a natural feel, especially amongst the scenes involving his massive family, who amazingly are also his family in real life.

A Serious Man
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1019452/

Larry Gopnik, a Midwestern physics teacher, watches his life unravel over multiple sudden incidents. Though seeking meaning and answers amidst his turmoils, he seems to keep sinking.

I'm making my way through a few Coen Brothers films I've never seen, this was the one I watched last night. It's set in some bland part of America in the 60's I think. And follows Michael Stuhlbarg as his normal life starts falling apart - slowly at first, then all at once. 

I found this a little hard to get into but once I got into the rhythm of it I was fully hooked. It's a series of set backs and inconveniences for a regular guy who keeps going and never surrenders to self pity - his wife leaves him, his brother is a deadbeat, his children are disappointments and his career is at risk. 

The cast are all excellent. Stuhlbarg plays it dead straight, you feel real sympathy for Larry but you never pity him. There's a load of familiar faces - Richard Kind, Fred Melamed - who put in great turns. It looks great, filmed by Roger Deakins, and despite it's fairly banal setting it has a weird, trippy atmosphere and tone all

the way through. 

Top tier Coen Bros. for sure.

5/5

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. 

I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately it turned out to be everything annoying about films, all at once. 

I couldn't bear the wacky tone and the story bored me shitless. 

Fucking hated it. 

1/5