Jump to content

Rate the last film you watched out of 5


Raoull duke
 Share

Recommended Posts

I watched Fight Club I think possibly for the first time the other night. It’s a strange one as I really like Fincher but I hated this. It tries so hard but frankly Zodiac does so much more with far better economy for me. I think it all falling apart in the second half has to be on Palahniuk though, it fritters a good premise which is classic Chuck. Sacrilege I’m sure, but 2/5 at a push. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I watched Fight Club I think possibly for the first time the other night. It’s a strange one as I really like Fincher but I hated this. It tries so hard but frankly Zodiac does so much more with far better economy for me. I think it all falling apart in the second half has to be on Palahniuk though, it fritters a good premise which is classic Chuck. Sacrilege I’m sure, but 2/5 at a push. 

 

Absolutely. It's so try hard.

 

And urine isn't sterile. You can't drink it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

I don't think it's aged very well.

 

It was tedious back in the day too. I saw it at a late show from the pub after two pints and just assumed I was in a bad mood, but saw it again a few months later and thought the same overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terminator: Salvation 

 

Not entirely sure why I pressed 'watch' for this. Hadn't seen it since it originally came out. All I remembered about it was that it was set in the 'cool' parts of the Terminator films - the future stuff. None of that pissy 80s/90s stuff for me, oh no! 

 

It is a very silly story, not very well told but mixed in to this chaos are some still pretty good sfx. The bare-metal terminators still are the stuff of nightmares, the terminator motorbikes reminded me of the light bikes in Tron, and - considering its age - the CGI nude Arnie at the end of the thing is actually pretty impressive-looking. The dead-eyes thing works in its favour.

 

Basically, I love the look of the thing but - like his other films - McG (eurgh) can't direct very well. 

 

Still think it's the best Terminator film after the original and its sequel, mind.

 

3/5 (probably 2.5/5, but the film does have a giant robot thing in it that makes some fun sounds as it moves)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rise of the Footsoldier Origins 

 

I've watched it do you don't have to.

 

I've seen all the others and they're a bit if a guilty pleasure. The series had already managed to stretch out very little story into four films and this one is very much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

 

As with most of these films, it's all a bit grubby and grim and there's lots of people getting called "cant".  Vinny Jones is in this one, for some reason. It's said a couple of times he's from Birmingham, but he just talks like Vinny Jones.

 

Even if you like any of the others, I can't recommend watching this one.

 

I was going to give it one point, but it seriously has no redeeming features.

 

0/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Rise of the Footsoldier Origins 

 

I've watched it do you don't have to.

 

I've seen all the others and they're a bit if a guilty pleasure. The series had already managed to stretch out very little story into four films and this one is very much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

 

As with most of these films, it's all a bit grubby and grim and there's lots of people getting called "cant".  Vinny Jones is in this one, for some reason. It's said a couple of times he's from Birmingham, but he just talks like Vinny Jones.

 

Even if you like any of the others, I can't recommend watching this one.

 

I was going to give it one point, but it seriously has no redeeming features.

 

0/5


Not even .5 points for Terry Stone’s wig?!

 

(agree though, it’s the weakest of the films)

 

The Miracle Season - 3/5 (screener)

 

Pretty by-the-numbers sports drama, albeit one built on a pretty tragic true story and with some good supporting performances from William Hurt and Helen Hunt. Wholesome ending, including very touching end credits. Live Like Line indeed.

 

(#698)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Star Trek - The Bad Robot ones

 

Star Trek 3/5

Star Trek into Darkness 3.5/5

Star Trek Beyond 2/5

 

It's amazing how badly modern day action blockbuster films date now - and its not the visuals, it's more about the substance within. Cast is pretty good, although I think Keith Urban has Bones' mannerisms down really well (and is underrated in these) - but the rest are more in spirit than anything else. Doubt they'd ever cast an Englishman as a Scotsman again

 

As for the villains - Bana and Idris are wasted in these, and Cumberbatch is a really odd casting choice for number 2

 

"Beyond" is what I'd imagine Star Trek by Christopher Nolan to be like - but then I think they have outdone him even in this. How complicated was the action in this one ? - mindboggling that anyone actually understands what the fuck is going on. To bemoan its unrealistic is a stupid thing, but you don't need to ramp things up to this level to make an engaging action film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, englishbob said:

Star Trek - The Bad Robot ones

 

Star Trek 3/5

Star Trek into Darkness 3.5/5

Star Trek Beyond 2/5

 

It's amazing how badly modern day action blockbuster films date now - and its not the visuals, it's more about the substance within. Cast is pretty good, although I think Keith Urban has Bones' mannerisms down really well (and is underrated in these) - but the rest are more in spirit than anything else. Doubt they'd ever cast an Englishman as a Scotsman again

 

As for the villains - Bana and Idris are wasted in these, and Cumberbatch is a really odd casting choice for number 2

 

"Beyond" is what I'd imagine Star Trek by Christopher Nolan to be like - but then I think they have outdone him even in this. How complicated was the action in this one ? - mindboggling that anyone actually understands what the fuck is going on. To bemoan its unrealistic is a stupid thing, but you don't need to ramp things up to this level to make an engaging action film.

Very disappointed that Bones didn’t sing any of his lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Film #700 of the year, so obviously I went with something big, something memorable...

 

King of the Travellers - 2/5 (Prime)

 

Drama focusing on warring Irish families. It's pretty standard fare for this type of film - the cover tagline is the eyeroll-inducing, 'Love Betrayal Friendship Revenge'. John Conners (Cardboard Gangsters) is watchable but overall you'd be better off watching the similarly-themed documentary Knuckle (2011) instead.

 

(300 films to go to reach 1,000 with 101 days left in 2022...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shattered Glass. Hayden Christensen is Stephen Glass a writer for New Republic magazine, who seems to find lots of interesting stories. 
 

Saw this many years ago, spotted it on Prime and fancied watching again. Feels like quite a light take on this true story and doesn’t feel terribly dramatic 3/5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, englishbob said:

Star Trek 3/5

Star Trek into Darkness 3.5/5

Star Trek Beyond 2/5


my ratings…first 5 mins of Star Trek is 5 star and it descends to 3 stars by the time monster chase happens on the ice planet and ends at 2.  Average 2.5

 

Into Darkness makes very little sense and Khan is woefully miscast. It’s 2 stars at its very best and probably a 1 to me as I vowed to never watch it again.

 

Beyond is the most Trek of all 3 movies and the most consistent. The villain is wasted though. 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speak No Evil

 

Expected more to be honest, the twist felt pretty expected and the lack of logic to what the antagonists were doing just annoyed me. I enjoyed the gradual build up of tension, though.

 

2.5/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ry said:

Last Seen Alive -2.5/5

 

Remember Breakdown with Kurt Russell? It's like that. Except not as good. 


Breakdown is such a great b-movie thriller. Had a grand day out watching that with @b00dles back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fall - 3/5 (screener)

 

Really enjoyed this. When I say ‘enjoyed’ my palms were sweaty throughout and I was constantly shouting ‘nope!’ at the TV. Would have loved to have seen it on an imax screen, but even at home it’s an effective b-movie.

 

Next 10 films I watch will be set on firm ground where no character even thinks about climbing stairs, let alone a 2,000ft tower in the middle of the Mojave desert.

 

(#705)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Men

 

Had something to say and featured the best sound design since, funnily enough, Annihilation.  But this wasn’t half as smart as it thought it was and actually felt a bit amateurish at times.  Worth a watch but disappointing.

 

3/5

 

 

Elvis

 

Really liked this, more than I thought I might, as Baz Luhrmann movies are hit or miss with me, mostly miss.  This is definitely one of his hits - a great story, extremely well and smoothly told.  It was very touching at times and Austin Butler was electric!  A must see for anyone that has put themselves up in front of others, had an unscrupulous manager, shown off to a girl, enjoyed black music and/or Elvis’s music, has generally experienced or is interested in any of the aspects of Elvis’s story, however small in comparison those experiences might be.

 

4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speak No Evil

 

I really need to stop getting on the new horror hype trains because they so rarely pay off. It had some very effective imagery, but I feel like the overall sentiment was more irritating than insightful.

 

2.5/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do Revenge - 3/5 (Netflix)

 

Gets by on the charms of Maya Hawke and Camila Mendes, plus a decent soundtrack but is a bit long and a bit too in love with itself by the end. Fun, disposable rehash of Strangers on a Train.

 

(#709)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ghettoblaster (3/5)

 

I am a big fan of vigilante style movies and I managed to pick up an uncut German pressing on dvd of this obscure American movie. It’s no Death wish 3, but has some good action scenes and a decent enough story to get you through to the end.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/09/2022 at 09:15, Ry said:

Last Seen Alive -2.5/5

 

Remember Breakdown with Kurt Russell? It's like that. Except not as good. 

 

 

Cheers for the heads up - I’m a massive breakdown fan and this looks decent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.