rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

1 minute ago, Raoull duke said:

The Irishman. 

Technical shit just got in the way of everything else for me. 

As with most heavy digital effects. Just no. Don't. Is it fine and technically impressive? Yeah. But is it good enough to the point it isn't distracting? No. Their voices sound old. Their bodies look old. They move old. Their faces are straight out of the uncanny valley. DeNiro threw someone a beating about twenty minutes in and at that point I lost interest in it. Looking at my phone and glancing at it occasionally.  

There are good young actors. There was no need for this. They even had young cunts playing old cunts. Digital blood. Digital breaking glass. Just a big load of artificial shite obscuring what probably could have been a great film.

And I think they very easily could have cut an hour out of it. More probably. 

2/5 a massive disappointment. 

Yeah, it was generally a nicely shot film but it seems a real shame they didn't give opportunities to some new or up & coming actors to play the younger scenes.  If nothing else it would have been a good torch-passing exercise.

The movement was the really distracting thing, that beating outside the convenience store looked like De Niro's character was trying not to shit in his pants the entire time.

3 minutes ago, PK said:

Yeah, it was generally a nicely shot film but it seems a real shame they didn't give opportunities to some new or up & coming actors to play the younger scenes.  If nothing else it would have been a good torch-passing exercise.

The movement was the really distracting thing, that beating outside the convenience store looked like De Niro's character was trying not to shit in his pants the entire time.

I can't believe Scorsese thought any of this was a good idea. I wonder if he was under a false impression about how good the post effects were gonna be until it was far too late to pull the plug. 

32 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

I can't believe Scorsese thought any of this was a good idea. I wonder if he was under a false impression about how good the post effects were gonna be until it was far too late to pull the plug. 

Dude, there is one bad scene in the entire film (arguably Pacino really oversells one other scene) but on the whole it is a masterclass. The CGI was no more distracting than the ageing makeup in a hundred of my favourite films. A different actor would have been way more distracting.

• Upvote 2

The Levelling - 4/5

A quiet, sad film about a death in a broken Somerset farming family.  Ellie Kendrick's performance is very touching.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Loved this! I think it's my favourite Colin Firth performance. Loads of action, a fun storyline - just ace. 

4.5/5

Tomb Raider (2018)

After 15/20 minutes, I thought this was going to be a disaster but it redeemed itself once it got going. Alicia Vikander does really well as Lara and it's a pretty good adaptation of the rebooted game. Compared to most game/movie tie ins, it's a triumph. As a standalone film, it does a job and provided a bit of fun escapism despite it not breaking any new ground for the genre. 

Worth a watch - preferred it to the Jolie films.

3/5

14 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Dude, there is one bad scene in the entire film (arguably Pacino really oversells one other scene) but on the whole it is a masterclass. The CGI was no more distracting than the ageing makeup in a hundred of my favourite films. A different actor would have been way more distracting.

Gonna have to disagree with you. Sort of. I agree there was only really one scene that was completely terrible. I suppose it comes down to whether and to what degree you were distracted by the cgi. I couldn't not see it. And it completely undermined everything that might have been decent. "Here's the kid I was telling you about."

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.p

But ten times worse than that. 

• Upvote 2

A Thandie triple bill!

1 - Solo 

Great film, particularly the first half which is my favourite bit of SW since Disney bought the rights. I can't quite recall the lead actors name, but he is a fucking brilliant Han Solo. Also, the best special effects of all time.

Amount of Thandie - about 10 minutes

4.5/5

2 - Gringo

A fantastic black comedy that respects its audience and flows fantastically. Of course, I can't stand fucking Theron, but she wasn't in it too much. The rest of the cast are pitch perfect and the direction is confident. 

Amount of Thandie - a bit more, maybe 15 minutes here

4/5

3 - The leading man

One of the oddest casts ever seen in a film. Jon Bon Jovi, Dame Edna, The Merovingian, David Warner and our Thandie. Nothing really happens and it's like a BBC drama from the late 80s. Still, I didn't hate it and it didn't outstay its welcome. 

Amount of Thandie - blinkin loads 

2/5

Marriage Story

So white it'll sear your retinas; so hipster your waxed moustache will be full of pumpkin spiced latte foam, but underneath the typical Baumbachisms beats a genuine and generous heart. 

4/5

• Upvote 4

Ash Is The Purest White 4.5/5

Found this mesmerising. An incredible performance from Tao Zhao. My top ten of 2019 is getting harder by the minute.

• Upvote 1

Marriage Story 4/5

I normally find Baumbach movies a bit too in love with themselves. But for me this is his best by far. Both Driver and Johansson are fantastic and really elevate things, alongside great support from the likes of Dern, Liotta and Alda.

Having a couple of Sondheim songs in your film is always a bonus as well.

Its that time of year to watch Christmas films to get you in the festive spirit and what better than after putting the kids to bed, you can sit down with a glass of wine and watch one of the funniest, foulest and yet feelgood-est festive films there is... Bad Santa.

Im going to give it 5 bags of popcorn out of 5 plus 1 of those tubes of anusol for the lady who unfortunately isn’t going to “shit right for a month”.

True Grit (2010)

The Coen Brothers western based on the same book as the John Wayne film from the 60's. Great cast, looks amazing, funny and bitter-sweet in that Coen Bros way. I loved it. (Netflix UK/Ireland).

4.5/5

• Upvote 1

A batch of films with my daughter over the weekend:

The Littlest Reindeer  - pretty standard kids fare, but at least it wasn't a Trojan horse for Corden or any shite pop music - 2.5 Skulls/5

Paddington - Lovely looking film but the plot was a bit by numbers and Nicole Kidman was a surprisingly flat baddie - 3 Skulls/5

Paddington 2 - Better than the first in every way. A fantastic piece of filmmaking with a superb cast - 5 Skulls/5

Your Name - Was really looking forward to this but fell a little flat for me. Superb animation, but the story was full of holes and a bit on the twee side. 3 Skulls/5

56 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Paddington 2 - Better than the first in every way. A fantastic piece of filmmaking with a superb cast - 5 Skulls/5

My favourite of 2017. And that's quite an achievement, in a year with John Wick 2, Dunkirk, Thor Ragnarok, Phantom Thread, Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049, Logan, Coco, The Breadwinner, Death of Stalin, The Big Sick, Shape of Water, and some Star Wars sequel (all of which I really liked though I know not everyone here did).

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, denisb said:

Knives out great old school whodunnit 4/5 well worth a watch

Yeah, this was really excellent. Loved it. So good to see Craig enjoying himself.

Sabotage

I felt like I needed a shower after watching this. Totally unnecessary graphic violence and a waste of a good cast. Poor old Arnie just cant find a great role since his comeback.

Some good direction in places.

1/5

Ronin - 1998

I was watching this most of the way through thinking: Oh this isn't as good as I remember. I thought it was pretty good but it's just ok. It's like a shitty unofficial Heat sequel. 

And then when there was like half an hour to go the most epic car chase ever happened and I was like oh yeah. Pretty good status reconfirmed. 

That car chase was to car chases as the shootout in the middle of Heat was to shootouts. C'est magnifique. 

All late 90s European cars too which just hit my own personal aesthetic perfectly. 

4/5. It's no Heat not even close but it's still a good show. 

And do you know what I'm gonna do now? By god, I'm putting Heat on. I have half a bottle of wine and as many cans of Guinness as I want for afters. Whoever invented the gods never imagined them living half as well as I am right now. 

• Upvote 3

Jumanji: The Next Level - 3/5

As big sequels go, it is absolutely fine. Got a few early laughs in, sagged a tiny bit in the middle, then picked up the pace for a genuinely touching finale. Undemanding, but the charismatic cast ensures things stay the right side of enjoyable. Did thoroughly enjoy Kevin Hart's Danny Glover; he far outshines Dwayne this time around.

40 minutes ago, Parappa said:

One Cut of the Dead. 

Fucking hell. Nearly turned it off after 30 mins :lol:

5555/5

Spoiler

I nearly did the same, I honestly thought I had a version with badly translated subtitles, because of all the "Do you have any hobbies?" and "I just have to....just have to..." stuff from the sound guy.  The way that it got explained absolutely perfectly is one of the best movie moments I've ever had

Such a good film!

• Upvote 1

Return of the Jedi (1983)

Some absolutely sublime moments that have aged beautifully, but it doesn't flow as well as ESB, with the exception of the last battle.  The scenes with The Emperor are fantastic - I viewed this right after watching Revenge of the Sith and there is just no comparison between the two; I find this the weakest of the original trilogy and RotS the best (well, the least awful) of the prequels but this shits all over Episode III.  And this is still a cracker of a movie.

I didn't realise how much Obi Wan resembles Jeremy Corbyn during the scene on Dagobah before.

4/5

6 Underground - 2 out of 5

Bit with magnets on a boat was okay but the rest of it was a coke fuelled rapid cut nightmare.

One Cut of the Dead - 5 out 5

Holy crap. This was amazing. Going in stone cold is the best way, and like was said higher up in the thread, don’t switch off before the thirty minute mark. Best zombie movie in years.

• Upvote 4

Atomic Blonde

2/5 - apart from a couple of scenes, very boring. And as much as I love James MacAcoy, I could do without the 'is he a goodie or is he a baddie' shit everytime he's in a film. 

6 Underground 

3.7/5

Trash, as I was expecting, but quite fun. Like a grown up version of the A-Team. Except really stupid and not grown up at all, really.