Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Bill & Ted Face the Music

Splitting the difference with my score here; for the more miserable types who prefer deep and meaningful cinema it's closer to a 2 or 3, but I'm easily pleased so it might even be a 5 for me. The premise seems a bit laboured as they travel through various time periods and ending up in messy situations and lolsome hijinks, and you could say that it's one joke recycled through the length of a film ("lol oops we went too far back/forward in time!!1") but it's easy viewing and the parallel narrative with their daughters' adventures made it more interesting/entertaining.

EDIT: also you could argue that the daughters' narrative is a bit of a rehash of the other films - rather than gathering historical dudes, they're uniting musical icons - but whatever; it's fine.

4/5

Speak no Evil - 3/5.

Intentionally slow and tension building (it's only 100mins long though). Really well acted and wonderfully directed with an amazing score. Ultimately frustrating and (description spoiler)

Spoiler

Very, very grim and upsetting ending. 

8 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

Smile - 3/5

Creepy, more than competent trauma horror marred by an over-reliance on jump scares.

Watched the new trailer; the car window bit made me shout “Jesus fucking Christ”. Was expecting a jump, just not… that.

Sandy Wexler - 1/5 (Netflix)

Adam Sandler is the most infuriating actor. Veering from sublime performances as seen in Uncut Gems, Funny People and Hustle, to goofy, tonally erratic gooning around like this so-called comedy. And I kind of admire him for the fact that he gets away with such extremes. He gets paid a fortune to star in films that are basically vehicles for him to cop off with beautiful younger women, telling shit jokes without a care in the world, while giving all his mates, plus his wife and kids, a gig.

Still, assembling this many comedians and not even managing to raise a giggle, never mind a titter, is pretty stellar work from all involved.

(#730)

Emily the Criminal - 3/5 (screener)

Finally, after a pretty unremarkable week of viewing, watched a little gem. This is Aubrey Plaza’s film, her air of detachment perfect for the titular Emily, who finds herself drawn into crime with pressure mounting from college debts.

It’s a slick film, rather than a desperate, Ken Loachian nightmare, but still has moments of shade amid the glossy take on underworld credit card schemes. Dwelled on the ending for a bit, thinking maybe it went on 30 seconds longer than necessary, but in the end a satisfying popcorn thriller, with Plaza extremely watchable throughout.

(#734)

Ebola Holmes 4/5

looking forward to a sequel after that. Think of it as a lighter fluffier companion piece to the RDJ Sherlock movies, with the grittiness removed.

the 3 leads are good together. And Frances DeLaTour in a role she was born to play. Great

Smile

A deeply unpleasant film and I'd be surprised if there's a better horror outing this Halloween season. I don't really fall for jump scares but there's a couple of crackers in this. I'd have rated it a bit higher if the ending had been more impactful.

3/5

Predators

The one with Adrien Brody. Saw this a few years ago and thought it was an okay movie in it's own right  and positively amazing within the context of the series of movies.On rewatch there's actually more to like here than  I originally  thought.Brody is fine if not outstanding as the lead and there's some decent backup from the supporting cast  including Fishbourne, Ali, Goggins, Braga.Story is as you'd expect and it ticks along at a reasonable rate , there's some silliness  but it's not egregious by the standards of the franchise.  What I didn't notice on the 1st time was some of the shots, there's some nice shots  in here, not least a flare  going off in a tunnel with the characters backlit and an overhead of a duel in some long grass.The finale is actually better than I remember and the design of the face on the "boss" predator is actually fantastic, really cool looking.

It's the 4th best Predator movie after 1,2 and Prey , solid 3/5 movie.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Nostalgia really pushed me through this because I loved it as a kid, but outside some of the cool death scenes, imagery, model work and prothetics is also a film with some odd choices re Freddy, really terrible acting and a stupid graveyard skeleton fight.

The film actually starts really strong but once they become the "Dream Warriors" it falls off a cliff big time and turns pure cheese.

3/5 for nostalgias sake.

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Nightmare of Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

The film maker Chuck Russell would go on to create this masterpiece in 2016..

His films before and after Dream Warriors also worth a watch. 

I_Am_Wrath.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 5/5

Still as amazing as when I saw it at a sleepover at the age of 8 or 9 on a dodgy NTSC copy. Genuinely a well-shot, beautifully lit film with an entertaining script and fantastic animatronics & fight scenes.

Bullet Train 

4/5

Wasn't shocked when I saw it was by the John Wick people.

Had a great laugh watching it but Quicksilver's English accent sounds just like Jay from The In-betweeners which I just couldn't unhear. 

2 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Bullet Train 

4/5

Wasn't shocked when I saw it was by the John Wick people.

Had a great laugh watching it but Quicksilver's English accent sounds just like Jay from The In-betweeners which I just couldn't unhear. 

Interesting that you said his "English accent" cause he is English.

I'll be watching it tonight 

22 hours ago, glb said:

Emily the Criminal - 3/5 (screener)

Finally, after a pretty unremarkable week of viewing, watched a little gem. This is Aubrey Plaza’s film, her air of detachment perfect for the titular Emily, who finds herself drawn into crime with pressure mounting from college debts.

It’s a slick film, rather than a desperate, Ken Loachian nightmare, but still has moments of shade amid the glossy take on underworld credit card schemes. Dwelled on the ending for a bit, thinking maybe it went on 30 seconds longer than necessary, but in the end a satisfying popcorn thriller, with Plaza extremely watchable throughout.

(#734)

(uneccassary quoting)

One of the most enjoyable films I've seen this year, I also recommend it. It's blunt about its message and doesn't go that far but is just so watchable. 

Spoiler

I don't know what it is in us that being discovered for stealing is more anxiety inducing than anything else it seems, watching her steal that car I could barely watch, as she's waiting for the guy to discover her. They're just objects but somehow from somewhere it's injected into us how wrong it is. 

Also today I walked around an art gallery without paying, accidentally I think, there was a doorway with the ticket reception where I assumed the gallery began, but there were steps down then a spiral staircase up to the floors I thought I'd wonder up, as I walked around I could see everyone wearing green or red stickers, I ended up never facing any security that walked by. I first I thought..I don't think I can do this, looking at 400 year old artwork without paying, how will my conscience cope. One of the better galleries I've been to in the end.

I watched The Fall the other day, about two women who climb a big tower and get stuck. It hits a lot of expected beats, but it's fun watching their ingenuity and it really did look like they were up there, it's just unexpectedly engrossing. Like that film Frozen where people are stuck on a ski lift. I ended up really liking it and I don’t think that deserved it as much as this.

Maybe The Fall can be classed as a horror and go in the horror thread, if you suffer from vertigo. 

Blonde - 3.5/5

In Kermode’s review of this he says it’s not a biopic, it’s a horror film. He’s bang on. It’s a nightmare trip of a film. if it reminded me of anything, it would be Inland Empire, or the last half hour of Mulholland Drive. It didn’t totally win me over, but at times it’s exceptional.

The soundtrack by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is superb.

4 hours ago, strider said:

Don’t Worry Darling

3/5

Interesting ideas, poorly executed with an amazing performance from Florence Pugh.

Came here to post on this movie after just getting out, and this hits the nail on the head for me.

Shout out for the audio as well which was great, but not enough to affect the score out of five.

8 hours ago, ucci said:

Anyone seen the new George Miller?

A few of us have! I really liked it, but the others who posted about seeing it in this thread were less enthusiastic:

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Came here to post on this movie after just getting out, and this hits the nail on the head for me.

Shout out for the audio as well which was great, but not enough to affect the score out of five.

There's just a lot of shit in it that doesn't make sense in the logic of the film.

37 minutes ago, Festoon said:

There's just a lot of shit in it that doesn't make sense in the logic of the film.

Yeah the reveal causes more problems than it answers but I still enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

A few of us have! I really liked it, but the others who posted about seeing it in this thread were less enthusiastic:

Cheers! George Miller doesn't make many films, this is a strange beast that he has decided to do. Perhaps he was blackmailed to do it or something. 

6 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

(uneccassary quoting)

One of the most enjoyable films I've seen this year, I also recommend it. It's blunt about its message and doesn't go that far but is just so watchable. 

Hide contents

I don't know what it is in us that being discovered for stealing is more anxiety inducing than anything else it seems, watching her steal that car I could barely watch, as she's waiting for the guy to discover her. They're just objects but somehow from somewhere it's injected into us how wrong it is. 

Also today I walked around an art gallery without paying, accidentally I think, there was a doorway with the ticket reception where I assumed the gallery began, but there were steps down then a spiral staircase up to the floors I thought I'd wonder up, as I walked around I could see everyone wearing green or red stickers, I ended up never facing any security that walked by. I first I thought..I don't think I can do this, looking at 400 year old artwork without paying, how will my conscience cope. One of the better galleries I've been to in the end.

I watched The Fall the other day, about two women who climb a big tower and get stuck. It hits a lot of expected beats, but it's fun watching their ingenuity and it really did look like they were up there, it's just unexpectedly engrossing. Like that film Frozen where people are stuck on a ski lift. I ended up really liking it and I don’t think that deserved it as much as this.

Maybe The Fall can be classed as a horror and go in the horror thread, if you suffer from vertigo. 

Interestingly with Fall, at least I thought so, they filmed on a platform built on top of a mountain, so the height seen in camera is at times genuine. Think the actors were around 100ft off the ground when on the ‘set’, which is still a fair old height. Looking back it is quite obvious when they switch from digital to in-camera but it’s still a damn effective thriller, certainly one of the better b-movies I’ve seen this year.

And the scene from Emily the Criminal you mention in the spoiler is certainly stressful. Heard good things and glad the film delivered because seen a lot of average / poor films recently.