Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

2 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I'm pretty sure that's on sky documents at the moment isn't? It's absolutely a nostalgia fest, but charming at the same time. The days before online abuse and endless death at the hands of idiot teenage American boys..

That's fair, I just found it a bit low energy. Been spoiled by some better documentaries recently that I found more captivating. I should have also added I only played Goldeneye infrequently, so if you have a stronger affinity with the game you may well get much more of the feels out of it.

Athena

While it's obviously standing on the shoulders of such giants as La Haine, The Raid, Children of Men, Touch of Evil, etc the confidence with which it owns the 'oner' at the start of the film is incredibly impressive. It's such an immersive experience that only now and then does your brain question how a shot is being handled, how the camera is being passed around and where the cuts are happening. It has a real cocky swagger to it all that made me feel old rather than angry. I generally feel like that when I see kids doing wheelies on their motorbikes, the city is on fire and I'm like "that kid really shouldn't be doing that".

4/5

Licorice Pizza

I seem to either love Paul Thomas Anderson's movies with a passion or just sort of shrug at them. This was an affectionate shrug for its two leads who were running around in a bunch of just whatever.

3/5

Waking Life (2002) 

Rotoscoped American neuroses with added anti-gravity. If the dialogue in the Before Sunset trilogy made you cringe, then get ready for this which is equally as cringe but with the added feature of dreams. Couple of good points about lucid dreaming though, which are handy. 

Neuroticamericansinvietnamforthewin/10

Blackout - 1/5 (Netflix)

This is the most generic action thriller I can remember watching in a long, long time. Josh Duhamel, Abbie Cornish and Nick Nolte (!) all willingly signed up for this so can only assume they don’t like acting very much, or this was a cry for help.

The lead character is called Cain! And he has no memory! Watch him uncover the truth about who he is in Beige: The Movie! Or don’t. Please don’t. Go and watch The Kid Detective or The Sound of 007 or Brian & Charles or The Perfection or anything else crafted with a bit of verve and that is worthy of your time.

(#781)

Chopping Mall (1986)

Some B-movie fun and a nice twist on a slasher, with some youngster in a mall up against some haywire security robots. It does a lot with a low budget and whilst it does struggle to fill even the short running time in places there's enough good-natured action and likeable characters to keep things watchable.

3/5

Rosaline

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777606/

A comedic retelling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet," told from the point of view of Romeo's jilted ex, Rosaline, the woman Romeo first claims to love before he falls for Juliet.

This is a Disney Plus comedy about Romeo’s ex and her scheme to get him back after they split up. It stars Kaitlyn Dever from Book Smart as Roslaine and Kyle Allen, channeling Heath Ledger in A Knights Tale, as Romeo.

I thought this was a pretty good effort but doesn’t totally work. The cast are all great, Minnie Driver and Bradley Whitford put in good turns in support, it looks really nice and there’s some funny lines. But I was a little bored by the end and it’s only 90 minutes long.

3/5

Edited by Silent Runner

Terrifier. 

So the hype that hit this weekend for the sequel prompted me to watch the first movie. 

Fuck me if Art isn't just horrible and does nothing but exude menace throughout the film. 

Then there's the kills.  It didn't bother me and as someone who made his way through the nasties list in the late 80's early 90's it wasnt that shocking.  

But.... That hanging upside down kill is really fucked up. 

3/5.  Deep red still makes me wince a hell of a lot more. 

Hancock (1991)

Alfred Molina stars in this BBC TV drama from 1991 about the last eight years of Tony Hancock's life. It emphasises his failed attempts to strive for something he couldn't quite grasp himself, trying to distance himself from the Tony Hancock character with which he had a difficult relationship as time went on, treating his wives, the writers who helped make him a household name, and the public who loved him with contempt, pushing them away but always in need of something more, apart from alcohol which he struggled with. Hats off to Alfred Molina for really bringing out Hancock's misanthropy and ego, and nailing his performing style, especially in the recreation of Hancock's best known scene in The Blood Donor.

3.5/5

Smile - 3/5 (work screener)

Not as good as the hype suggests, but still a pretty well put together horror. Think it loses its way by the end, and a lot of the more unsettling imagery is in the various trailers for the film, including what I found to be the most effective jump scare. Solid if unspectacular, but a good option for Halloween (way more so than the abysmal Halloween Ends)

That being said, watching at home may well have reduced its impact for me versus watching in a room with others. I find horror, and comedy, films tend to be amplified by shared jumps/laughter, and while a couple of scares did make me jump, didn't feel in any way creeped out by the film.

(#792)

The Fire Within: A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft - 5/5 (BBC iplayer)

This has cropped up as part of the always reliable Storyville series, and is a stunning watch. Werner Herzog presents a collage of archive footage of nature at its most awesome taken by the titular volcanologists, and wisely lets most of their imagery speak for itself. Amazing.

Moonage Daydream - 4/5 (work screener)

An exhilarating, enigmatic, dreamlike documentary loosely chronicling the life of David Bowie using clips, some previously unseen, from his rich career archive. It's often a visual trip, it's always an audio treat. Hang your hat on Bowie's charisma and let the film flow over you. Even at over two hours I could have watched another two hours. And probably another two after that. Spellbinding.

Godspeed, Starman.

(#797)

On 18/10/2022 at 21:22, Totoro said:

Decision to Leave - Heojil kyolshim : 3.8 / 5

This could well change if I watch it again. It's one of those films.

I felt the same way, especially because it moves so fast and there's so much to try and keep up with.

A second viewing is a must.

8 hours ago, Stigweard said:

That's generous 

Yeah, the 2 stars were for the first hour, really.
It was nearly a three bagger for me. It was going so well (for a cosy halloween time naff horror flick). Lots of eye rolling moments and daftness, but that all adds to the fun, but it needed a good 20 minutes chopped out of the middle.

Spoiler

By the time the kills rolled round, I'd stopped caring. It felt like Corey and his lass were gonna go apeshit and start fucking up the town together, but no, they just threw away everything they'd been building up to, had him stab himself and then had Jamie Lee Curtis fighting Michael Myers again for no reason.

A lot of wasted potential. 100 times better than the previous film, but still dogshit in the end.

Pearl -3/5.

Clearly a love letter to the golden age of cinema and wonderfully directed and shot. An absolute mesmerising performance from Mia Goth that will probably get her an Oscar nomination. 

But I found it bland at times. Yes it has those shocking horror moments but a lot of it felt superficial. 

I have not seen X (which this is a prequel too) but will need to see it. 

I was shocked to read this was made on a budget of $1million. Which is fucking incredible for a film that looks and sounds this good. 

Terrifier 2 - ***
I'm assuming all those reports of people vomiting in the ashtrays and climbing up themselves in fear has all just been stealth marketing.

Everything is played for laughs. The blood is jelly red, the acting is awful, and it all feels like a freddy sequel in all the best ways possible.

The guy playing the clown is great. Some of his physicality reminded me of Ade Edmonson at times. Restrained when he needs to be and never too over the top.

Half an hour too long, it feels quite indulgent at times in that it'll just let a scene play for way longer than it needs to. That feels good early on but by the time you get to the final reel, it's outstayed it's welcome. Could do with a little tightening up.

Great fun though. It's the perfect naff horror for halloween time.

On 17/10/2022 at 12:10, glb said:

Smile - 3/5 (work screener)

Not as good as the hype suggests, but still a pretty well put together horror. Think it loses its way by the end, and a lot of the more unsettling imagery is in the various trailers for the film, including what I found to be the most effective jump scare. Solid if unspectacular, but a good option for Halloween (way more so than the abysmal Halloween Ends)

That being said, watching at home may well have reduced its impact for me versus watching in a room with others. I find horror, and comedy, films tend to be amplified by shared jumps/laughter, and while a couple of scares did make me jump, didn't feel in any way creeped out by the film.

(#792)

Watched this in the cinema last night. Relied too much on jump scares and the plot was predictable. But was a good watch. Loved the bit when she was in the car and her sister came out to see her. I think your score 3/5 is spot on.